╌>

Leah Remini sues Church of Scientology, says she's been threatened and subjected to 'psychological torture'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  18 comments

By:   Diana Dasrath and Minyvonne Burke

Leah Remini sues Church of Scientology, says she's been threatened and subjected to 'psychological torture'
LOS ANGELES — Actor Leah Remini filed a lawsuit against the Church of Scientology and its leader, David Miscavige, alleging that she has been threatened, harassed and stalked for the past decade.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

LOS ANGELES — Actor Leah Remini filed a lawsuit against the Church of Scientology and its leader, David Miscavige, alleging that she has been threatened, harassed and stalked for the past decade.

The "King of Queens" star says she has been the victim of "intentional malicious and fraudulent rumors via hundreds of Scientology-controlled and -coordinated social media accounts that exist solely to intimidate and spread misinformation," according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court.

Remini has been an outspoken critic of the controversial church since she left it in 2013. She co-created and hosted an anti-Scientology documentary series, "Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath," that aired from 2016 to 2019 on A&E and won two Emmy awards.

"For 17 years, Scientology and David Miscavige have subjected me to what I believe to be psychological torture, defamation, surveillance, harassment, and intimidation, significantly impacting my life and career," Remini said in a statement Wednesday.

The Church of Scientology and a rep for Miscavigedid not immediately respond to an NBC News request for comment.

tdy_kristin_scientology_151102.jpg

Leah Remini's book puts Scientology under new scrutiny

Remini said that Miscavige and other defendants began the attacks more than a decade ago, alleging that current and former Scientologists were enlisted to record defamatory video statements against her.

The claims include that she "was abusive to her mother and daughter, and that she is a racist," the suit says. Her now-deceased father, George Remini, and his wife were allegedly some of the people the church used to attack her, according to the lawsuit, which linked to a video.

In 2015, Remini said she was forced to hire bodyguards for the first time in her life because she feared for her physical safety. She says she hired the guards after learning private investigators allegedly working for the church were following her during the New York promotion of her book, "Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood."

The lawsuit details other alleged attacks. In 2018, the church organized a meeting with celebrity Scientologists and drilled attendees on "how to attack Ms. Remini's credibility, based on lies, using talking points that Scientology wrote," according to the lawsuit.

Remini also accused the church of enlisting a man with "a history of mental illness and a violent criminal record" to stalk and surveil her at her Los Angeles home, the suit says.

Remini and her neighbors allegedly saw the man in a parked white vehicle outside Remini's home in July and August 2020. The lawsuit accuses the man of ramming his vehicle into the security gates of her community and asking residents where she lived. The man was arrested and released only to be arrested a second time after he falsely claimed that Remini was holding hostages at her home, according to the lawsuit.

The attacks have not stopped, according to the suit, which says that the actor's family and friends have also been subjected to the harassment.

She said in her statement that she does not believe she is the religion's first victim, "but I intend to be the last."

"While advocating for victims of Scientology has significantly impacted my life and career, Scientology's final objective of silencing me has not been achieved," Remini said.

"While this lawsuit is about what Scientology has done to me, I am one of thousands of targets of Scientology over the past seven decades. People who share what they've experienced in Scientology, and those who tell their stories and advocate for them, should be free to do so without fearing retaliation from a cult with tax exemption and billions in assets," she said.

Remini is seeking compensatory and punitive damages "for the enormous economic and psychological harm" that the church's alleged attacks have caused, and hopes to deter the church from "continuing their unlawful campaign of harassment and intimidation."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1  sandy-2021492    last year

No wonder Katie Holmes left Tom Cruise in the dark about her plans to leave him.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    last year

You get involved with scientology....threats are the least of your problems. 

Tom cruise is a fine actor, but I pity any lady who dates the freak.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    last year

I hope her lawsuit is successful and puts this "church" out of business. This church is a business so that tax exemption is bogus

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    last year

This church is a business so that tax exemption is bogus

All churches are just businesses.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    last year

I stand corrected but in my defense this church was specifically founded to bilk silly people out of money

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    last year
All churches are just businesses.

Which atheist groups are aiding migrants and running food banks?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.2    last year

Here in mainstream America, we are still trying to figure out what the hell the Church of Scientology is.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.2    last year
Which atheist groups are aiding migrants and running food banks?

Which atheist groups are run like businesses?

Which atheist groups solicit money every week?

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
2.1.5  Duck Hawk  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    last year

Therefore, ALL churches should be taxed. Something like a tax based on membership (I.E. attendance/tithes) and church property holdings. (real property and items like cars, planes, ETC.) Smaller churches pay less taxes than the megachurches.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Duck Hawk @2.1.5    last year

It just ain't going to happen.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.4    last year

Why should I answer your questions when you didn't answer mine?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Duck Hawk @2.1.5    last year

And all other non-profit agencies?  Something like a tax based on number of employees or amount spent per year.  Real property and endowments as well, Ivy league schools as a prime example.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.8    last year
And all other non-profit agencies?

Churches are not "non-profit" except in the most extreme definition.

Religion is good business.

Organization Worth
(billion USD)
Country Religion Notes
Catholic Church in Australia 20.5 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg.png   Australia Christianity ( Catholicism ) [6]
Catholic Church in France 23.0 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png   France Christianity ( Catholicism ) [4]
Catholic Church in Germany 26.0 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png   Germany Christianity ( Catholicism ) [3]
Church of England 11.97 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png   United Kingdom Christianity [8]
Church of Scientology 2.0 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png   United States [14] [15]
Church of Sweden 11.42 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png   Sweden Christianity FY2012 [9]
Holy See (Vatican) NA   [16] 16px-Flag_of_the_Vatican_City.svg.png    Vatican City Christianity   (Catholicism) Not available due to widespread properties globally. [17] [18] [19]
Opus Dei   (part of the   Catholic Church ) 2.8 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png   Italy Christianity ( Catholicism ) [13]
Seventh-day Adventists 15.6 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png   United States Christianity As of 1998 [7]
Sree Padmanabha Swamy Temple 22.0 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png   India Hinduism [5]
Sree Venkateswara Swamy Temple 30.0 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png   India Hinduism [2]
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 100.0 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png   United States Christianity One whistleblower estimated it at $200 billion. [1]
Trinity Church 6.0 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png   United States Christianity

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.9    last year
Churches are not "non-profit" except in the most extreme definition.

Biden’s government disagrees.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.11  cjcold  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    last year

Organized religion exists to control the weak of mind and take their money..

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @2.1.11    last year

How does Obama and Joe put up with that?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.13  cjcold  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.12    last year

How does your mother explain your existence?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @2.1.13    last year

She doesn’t, she died 11 years ago.