╌>

AP Psychology 'effectively banned' in Florida because of gender, sexuality chapter

Category:  News & Politics

By:  kavika  •  last year  •  46 comments

AP Psychology 'effectively banned' in Florida because of gender, sexuality chapter

F lorida superintendents have been advised by the state to drop their Advanced Placement Psychology classes unless they exclude any topics related to gender or sexuality,   according to The College Board , which oversees the AP program.

Such a shift would mean the courses couldn't be called Advanced Placement, however, or used by students to earn college credit,   the College Board said . And the organization is advising Florida districts not to offer the classes until the state reverses its decision, saying any AP Psychology course taught in Florida will violate either state law or college requirements.

"We are sad to have learned that today the Florida Department of Education has effectively banned AP Psychology in the state by instructing Florida superintendents that teaching foundational content on sexual orientation and gender identity is illegal under state law," the College Board said. "The state has said districts are free to teach AP Psychology only if it excludes any mention of these essential topics."

LINK TO COMPLETE ARTICLE:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ap-psychology-effectively-banned-in-florida-because-of-gender-sexuality-chapter/ar-AA1eKNnp?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=c091ddab617d4d5e8d9c50b65971fabb&ei=15

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     last year

Perhaps our moosh noosh governor pushes Florida back in time. 

It seems that Oklahoma is at least trying to give DeSantis a run for regressive state of the union.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    last year

no teachers, no doctors, no minorities... trumpster nirvana...

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.1  bugsy  replied to  devangelical @1.1    last year

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @1.1.1    last year

[deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.3  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1    last year

This AP course have been taught in Florida for 30 years and now it's illegal to teach and 30,000 students have already signed up for it.

Seems that Florida with DeSantis is happy with being in the dark ages.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1.1.3    last year

bait and switch, the GOP mantra...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    last year

Lol ….. AP Psychology?      

I didn’t know there was such a thing.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @2    last year

Along with hundreds of thousands of students, teachers, parents now you do.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @2.1    last year

Meh, they pretty much call anything AP these days.

Makes educators feel smarter I guess ……

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    last year
Meh, they pretty much call anything AP these days.

It certainly much more difficult than classes from Prager University.

Makes educators feel smarter I guess ……

That is certainly true if you compare them to the ''educators'' from PU.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @2.1.2    last year
Prager University.

Lol …. Done a lot of course work there have you?

Not trying to derail your seed but AP class for that just struck me as funny.    I’d honestly never heard of it.  

AP Calc, Chemistry, Physics, etc sure but not Psychology.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.4  author  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @2.1.3    last year
Done a lot of course work there have you?

Maybe you missed this:

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has made his fight against the left-wing "indoctrination" of children one of his major rallying cries.

However, the Tampa Bay Times reports that PragerU , a right-wing institution whose learning materials are now being allowed for use in Florida schools, openly boasts that its goals are to indoctrinate young people.

In fact, PragerU's founder, right-wing talk show host Dennis Prager, openly admits in a promotional video that it's "fair" to say that his organization's goal is that indoctrination.

Prager also copped to indoctrinating students during a talk with the right-wing Moms for Liberty group earlier this year.

Prager U isn't a university at all has no teachers and is not accredited anywhere but they are ''teaching''  in Florida.

What a joke. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @2.1.4    last year

Yep, free countries do tend to be a joke.  /s

Perhaps you’d be up for burning some curriculum at PragerU?    That said I know most middle schools, high schools and colleges vehemently deny they “indoctrinate” their students.

And yet many do.    Many of them vociferously.    It’s nothing new really.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.6  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.5    last year

Every school district in America would say that its mission includes making good citizens. Is that indoctrination? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.7  author  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @2.1.5    last year
Perhaps you’d be up for burning some curriculum at PragerU?    That said I know most middle schools, high schools and colleges vehemently deny they “indoctrinate” their students.

I'm sure that you think that you do. The issue here is that DeSantis is constantly warning that he will not let kids be indoctrinated as part of his war on ''woke'' but he and his Education Board authorized a company without any certified teachers or any accreditation that brags that they indoctrinate kids learning materials are allowed in Florida schools. So our hypocrite Governor is, as usual, full of shit as long as it's his type of indoctrination he is good with it. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @2.1.6    last year

Is that why so many school districts no longer teach an encompassing Civics class?

Because they want to make good citizens out of them?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @2.1.6    last year

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    last year

So the  psychology of sexual orientation and gender identity is an essential topic?  jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

What about STEM subjects?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Greg Jones @3    last year

You haven’t heard of Freuds fourth element of personality?

Woke-Id …..

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @3.1    last year
You haven’t heard of Freuds fourth element of personality? Woke-Id ….

We definitely know that DeSantis is aware of ''Cultural Marxism''....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    last year

Well he should.    
He’s been watching the left perfect it for years …..

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.3  author  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @3.1.2    last year
Well he should.    
He’s been watching the left perfect it for years …..

Naw, he's just stuck in time warp, nothing new there. Much like his presidential campaign, stuck in the mud.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @3.1.3    last year

he's a GOPer, that ain't mud...

Veronica
Professor Guide
3.1.5  Veronica  replied to  devangelical @3.1.4    last year

LOLjrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.6  Right Down the Center  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.2    last year

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.7  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @3.1.4    last year

Possibly bovine?

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.8  JBB  replied to  cjcold @3.1.7    last year

original

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @3    last year
So the  psychology of sexual orientation and gender identity is an essential topic? 

It certainly is for some degree, if in doubt look it up.

What about STEM subjects?

Seems our backward governor has a problem with some of them.

Amid war with College Board, Florida doesn’t approve new AP precalculus course

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.3  Gsquared  replied to  Greg Jones @3    last year

AP students are already generally adept at STEM subjects.  AP courses are for high achieving students, who might have interests in a variety of topics.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    last year

[Deleted]

Florida's DOE already announced the course is entirely appropriate and can be taught in its entirety. .  

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @4    last year
Wah Wah.. More hysteria about nothing.  Seems like every day the rug gets pulled out from the under the hysterical doomsayers feet. 

No hysteria at all, simply posting a fact that yesterday the FDOE said it's could not be used today they backtracked. Here is a bit more information on it.

Florida high schools may teach Advanced Placement (AP) Psychology courses, the state Department of Education clarified Friday, a day after it stated that teaching the class would violate the law .

“In fact, the Department believes that AP Psychology can be taught in its entirety in a manner that is age and developmentally appropriate and the course remains listed in our course catalog,” Florida Education Commissioner Manny Diaz Jr. wrote Friday in a letter obtained by the Tallahassee Democrat .

The education department originally argued that the college-level course, intended for high school juniors and seniors, violates Florida state law banning discussion of gender and sexual orientation issues in schools.

That announcement came just days before many Florida school districts begin their school year, causing chaos as some districts canceled the courses while others were at a loss for how to respond.

“We have heard from teachers across Florida who are heartbroken that they are being forced to drop AP and instead teach alternatives that have been deemed legal because the courses exclude these topics,” AP organizer The College Board said in a statement Thursday.

The education department denied banning the course on Thursday before clarifying the policy on Friday. About 30,000 students in Florida are expected to take AP Psychology this year, the company said.

“Today’s statement from the Florida Department of Education represents new guidance on AP Psychology,” the College Board said Friday. “While district superintendents continue to seek additional clarity from the department, we note the clear guidance that, ‘AP Psychology may be taught in its entirety.'”

“We hope now that Florida teachers will be able to teach the full course, including content on gender and sexual orientation, without fear of punishment in the upcoming school year,” the company stated.

College Board previously stated that teaching AP Psychology with the gender and sexual orientation content removed was not possible, and any modified course would not count for college credits. 

Many high school students take AP courses to avoid paying for expensive college courses in the future.

The conflict over the psychology course is an extension of a conflict between Florida and The College Board.

There was a big backlash in Florida over the original banning of the AP course, so perhaps Manny listened for a change. 

So no one got the rug pulled out from under them.

BTW did you hear about the latest lawsuit filed against another of DeSantis laws also, now this is big, his largest donor to his ''Don't Back Down'' pac said he isn't giving any more money until DeSantis stop the culture war and modifies his stance. Seems he was pissed about DeSantis pushing through and signing his six week abortion bill. Since he signed it he hasn't mentioned a thing about it. 

I'll probably post an article on it tomorrow. 

Good to see that the new Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice makes the court liberal..No more of the nutty right wing stuff from the court.

Have a great evening.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.1  bugsy  replied to  Kavika @4.1    last year
I'll probably post an article on it tomorrow. 

Of course you will.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.3  author  Kavika   replied to  bugsy @4.1.1    last year

You're right and here is a link to it. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.4  bugsy  replied to  Kavika @4.1.3    last year

Because to some, it it ain't Trump or DeSantis, it ain't happening.

What will you post about if DeSantis drops out of the race?

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.5  author  Kavika   replied to  bugsy @4.1.4    last year
Because to some, it it ain't Trump or DeSantis, it ain't happening. What will you post about if DeSantis drops out of the race?

I post a variety of articles, and always have. If you don't read them there isn't anything I can do about it. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @4.1.4    last year
if DeSantis drops out of the race

Good riddance. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.7  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.6    last year
Good riddance. 

Then you really will have a President Trump for a second term.

Look on the bright side.,

It means you will have 4 more years to post "We got him now" seeds, none with proof.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.8  devangelical  replied to  bugsy @4.1.4    last year
What will you post about if DeSantis drops out of the race?

one less unamerican moron in the GOP primary...

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2  devangelical  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    last year
Florida's DOE already announced the course is entirely appropriate and can be taught in its entirety.

... after public outcry. I guess a growing number of people wish to have their chosen careers exceed the elected term of a rwnj wacko headed for failure.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @4.2    last year

The largest donor to DeSantis ''Don't Back Down'' pac isn't giving anymore money until DeSantis becomes more moderate and DeSantis six week abortion ban was the kicker for him.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @4.2.1    last year

I still say the 2024 GOP candidate isn't in the race yet.

Veronica
Professor Guide
5  Veronica    last year

I find it amazing how some like the thought process of making children uneducated and unable to survive outside their "box".  

Uneducated masses make for easier to transition this country into feudalism.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Veronica @5    last year

And that is just the start of it, Veronica. Florida has now allowed propaganda from Prager University to be used in Florida classrooms...BTW Prager University isn't a university as it is not accredited by any governing body in the US.

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Veronica  replied to  Kavika @5.1    last year
Prager University isn't a university as it is not accredited by any governing body in the US.

I researched them when I got into a dispute with my former hairdresser.  I printed it all out and thrust it in her face & never went back to her.  It was the last straw for me (she was going on & on about CRT & how it is destroying our education system - then said something about PU & I said it isn't even a true educational provider).  Prior to that she disturbed me with her thoughts on rape & how if her son were accused she would know the girl was lying.  So I asked her "So if your daughter is raped I can assume she is lying?"  Just 2 examples of her group think.

Needless to say the owner of the salon took me on as a client & moved me to a time slot where this person is not in the shop.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Veronica @5.1.1    last year

Wow, talk about being brainwashed. Good retort about if she had a daughter.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.2  devangelical  replied to  Veronica @5    last year

they only want kids smart enough to pull triggers and flip the R lever in elections...