╌>

Florida Could Soon Become Uninsurable—and Other States Will Likely Follow

Category:  News & Politics

By:  kavika  •  last year  •  26 comments

Florida Could Soon Become Uninsurable—and Other States Will Likely Follow

F lorida is no stranger to extreme weather events, a fact that those living in Sunshine State have always factored in when insuring their homes.

But as climate change exacerbates the frequency and severity of events like droughts, floods, tornadoes, and hurricanes in the U.S., the reality Floridians and insurers in the state are working with is quickly changing.

Florida, according to several experts, is becoming "uninsurable." And other states, starting from California, might follow suit in the near future.

Florida's Perfect Insurance Storm

Some 15 major insurers, including Farmers, have announced their intention to abandon Florida over the last year , with many citing the state's increased vulnerability to extreme weather.

And the crisis unfolding in Florida has been a long time coming, Charles Nyce, department chair and a Dr. William T. Hold associate professor of risk management and insurance at Florida State University, told   Newsweek .

"A lot of this started in the 1990s when Hurricane Andrew made landfall in southeast Florida. That was a real wakeup call to the insurance industry about the level of catastrophic exposure they had in the state," he said.

Hurricane Andrew caused somewhere between $16 and $20 billion in insured losses in 1992. Seven major storms between 2004 and 2005 caused between $35 billion in losses combined, representing another "wakeup call for insurers about how frequent storms can cause a lot of problems," Nyce said.

But it's not just climate change that has led to the current crisis in the Sunshine State. "Florida has a fraud problem," Nyce said. "It represents 7 percent of the U.S. homeowners' insurance market, yet Florida represents 75 percent of all litigation coming out of homeowners."

These two problems have existed for years, he added, but since 2016 the number of storms hitting Florida has increased.

"This is when the market started going into the crisis we're still in," Nyce said. "In 2022, we had six insurance companies go insolvent. While the state is making legislative efforts to solve Florida's insurance problem, Florida still has the hurricane problem.

"Insurance companies are private enterprises, they're in business to make money. For them to make decisions, it's all about risk and reward. And they decided that there was too much risk relative to the reward that they receive in Florida."

Uninsurable Homes

Insured losses in the U.S. have averaged a 6 percent annual rate of growth above the rate of inflation since 2000, according to data from Gallagher Re, a reinsurance broker.

The country averaged $23 billion in annual insured losses during the 1990s but has skyrocketed to an average of $70 billion per year.

Every major peril has shown consistent loss growth in the last two decades, according to the reinsurer. "The combination of climate change influence and exposure growth are both notable factors in the direct physical damage and broader societal impacts being experienced throughout all 50 states," a spokesperson for the company told   Newsweek .

Climate change—which has been identified as a likely cause of the increase in the frequency of storms and hurricanes—means that the risk for homeowners and their insurers, especially those in areas prone to experience extreme weather events, is constantly growing, and it's difficult to estimate in the long term.

"Damage that's associated with extreme events is actually the hardest part of the risk to measure for insurers," Yanjun Liao, an economist and researcher at Resources for the Future, told   Newsweek .

"If we continue to have more catastrophic events, what happens for the insurers is that they might not be completely clear about how to measure that risk," she continued.

"There are new modeling techniques and things like that that they can invest in, but then, on the other hand, in a catastrophic event there could be a lot of correlated losses for them, which means that a lot of the properties that they insure can simultaneously generate damage and insurance claims."

That is easier said than done. "In order to prepare for those events, they need to build up their capital reserves so that they can handle all these claims all at once," Liao said. "And that is financially very hard to do and it's very costly for them."

This is how states like Florida and California become almost uninsurable.

"Wildfires, hurricanes, sea-level rising—those kinds of risks are generally considered less insurable," Liao said. "In the current market, insurers might still have options and room to operate, but the increasing of catastrophic events is definitely a threat."

Insurers are already retreating from offering coverage in the areas most at risk of experiencing extreme weather events—with dire consequences for homeowners.

"For the potential homebuyers in those areas, if they want to get a mortgage, they need a homeowner's insurance. And if they cannot get one, they cannot get a mortgage," said Liao.

This, in turn, increases the difficulty for people to buy a house in Florida—already one of the most overvalued housing markets in the entire country—or they can get more expensive coverage provided by the state's FAIR Plan.

"A fraction of the homeowners, it seems like they might be going without any insurance," Liao added. "And that's very dangerous, because once the storm or the fire hits, if they don't have insurance, they're going to suffer really big losses."

In California, insurers cannot raise their rates above a certain threshold set by regulators—a move that protects homeowners, but also block insurers from matching premiums with the higher risk of damage. Insurers like State Farm and Allstate have announced earlier this year that they will stop offering new homeowner insurance policies in the state.

A Growing Problem: Who's Next?

"There's going to have to be a real fundamental shift in terms of how everybody within the financial markets is thinking, not just in the long term, but in the short term as well," Bowen said.

"We have to fundamentally change how we reprice, how we look at risk, and how we're investing from a mitigation and adaptation standpoint," he continued, saying that this might still not be enough for everyone to be able to afford new insurance premiums.

"It's a very complex problem and I don't think there's any easy solutions, unfortunately," said Nyce, adding that the issue could expand in time to other U.S. states.

"Arizona is affected by wildfires, but it's not as heavily populated as California, so that helps a little," he said. "Colorado and Oregon, they're also at wildfire risk. If you look at the middle part of the country, we see a lot more tornadoes happening, they don't touch down but they come with really bad thunderstorms and hail. These are big causes of loss."

According to Nyce, the insurance crisis could expand to the lower Southeast and the upper Midwest in the future, "where insurance companies may decide to start pulling back as well."

As climate change unfolds, Nyce said, the areas most vulnerable to extreme weather events are likely to change. "Wildfire will spread out of California, storms will spread," he said. "Areas that were considered safe will no longer be safe, and areas which may have been considered risky before may start to become safer."

In Louisiana, said Bowen, a series of major storms over the last five years has already driven up the overall cost of insurance on the private side. In Oklahoma, "the cost of insurance has gone up a lot in the last decade because of this, the substantial increase in thunderstorm-related loss," Bowen said.

"We have already started to see that shift in some of these non-traditional prime-focused states like Florida or California. That shift is already happening," he added.

"It's truly a 50-state issue," Bowen concluded. "Obviously, there are going to be some states that are more imminently at risk than others, but the reality is that the influence of climate change is going to be very evident regardless of which state you live in."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     last year

If you can afford it Florida has the highest property insurance rates in the country.

In addition to that we also have the highest Auto Insurance rates in the country.

And just one more thing, we have the highest inflation rate in the country.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @1    last year
And just one more thing, we have the highest inflation rate in the country.

Ah--not to worry. I hear tell it is just temporary.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2  evilone  replied to  Kavika @1    last year

Soon it will be all rental retirement communities in some places.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  evilone @1.2    last year

There are areas in Florida that between the insurance and the cost of housing have driven out retirees with a number of them moving to Alabama. I expect that number to increase especially after many manufactured homes in retirement communities were destroyed and any chance of getting insurance now is gone. Another problem, and its country wide is investors are buying up trailer/mobile home parks and raising he rates substantially.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @1.2.1    last year

I saw that in June, when my wife and several other couples rented a beach house between Ft Morgan and Gulf Shores.  We hadn’t been there for six years and saw a lot of new growth.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.3  evilone  replied to  Kavika @1.2.1    last year

Many of our customers up here are snow birds that go to FL for as much as 6 months of the year. I haven't heard too much complaining yet. Of course I'm working in medical not property. The complaints are mostly on how the health care providers never figure out how to file claims properly. Medicare Cost Share Plans are only offered now in a few states and carriers have been trying to figure out how to ditch them too. I don't have next year's rates yet, but I'm thinking they will go up substantially too. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.4  author  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.2.2    last year

Seems to be the destination resort for old farts.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @1.2.4    last year

Lol, you got that right, old and gassy.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.6  author  Kavika   replied to  evilone @1.2.3    last year
I don't have next year's rates yet, but I'm thinking they will go up substantially too. 

I am sure they will.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @1.2.1    last year

That's going to add to the homeless problem

GregTx
Professor Guide
2  GregTx    last year

If the big companies want to price themselves out of the market or just not offer insurance at all in some states, sounds like a business opportunity to me for some new companies. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  GregTx @2    last year
If the big companies want to price themselves out of the market or just not offer insurance at all in some states, sounds like a business opportunity to me for some new companies. 

Not only big insurance companies that are pulling out or refuse to enter the Florida market many local/small/medium insurance companies are pulling out or have gone bankrupt. In the past two and half years 15 insurance companies in Florida have gone bankrupt. 

The insurance company of last resort is run by the state and is named Citizens Ins and they are stretched to the limit financially with thousands of people waiting to get coverage through them since they cannot get it anywhere else.

Insurance companies are in the market to make money and they are losing big time in FL. If they can't make it here or don't see a future what in the world makes you think that a small or new start-up could make it? They will have to buy re insurance and the rates for that are out of this world.

It's not just homes but the auto insurance field is facing the same exact thing.

GregTx
Professor Guide
2.1.1  GregTx  replied to  Kavika @2.1    last year

Well if you're right and no new companies are able to fill the void then lenders and state governments are going to have to back off of coverage mandates. As for the lenders, if they can't or won't back off then that effectively prevents them from doing business in those states.... I don't think that's gonna happen.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  GregTx @2.1.1    last year

The problem has been around for a while and nothing is slowing it down. The state-run insurance company of last resort is having a difficult time covering all the new applicants that have lost their insurance. Lenders will not back off on the insurance requirements, they would be nuts to do so, it would be a catastrophic lost in the first hurricane that hits.

I differ, I think that it will happen or there will be enough with money to afford the insurance.

There are some in Florida that are self insuring, since they own their house free and clear but if another big hurricane hits they will be up shits creek and will what whatever the value of their home is go straight down the drain.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.3  evilone  replied to  GregTx @2.1.1    last year
...then lenders and state governments are going to have to back off of coverage mandates.

You actually think lenders would agree to the potential loss that insurers wouldn't? Lenders aren't in the business of giving out money, the same as insurers. These business models are about taking in guarantied monthly payments and investing them elsewhere for larger profit gains. 

GregTx
Professor Guide
2.1.4  GregTx  replied to  evilone @2.1.3    last year

No, I don't. I think some other companies will fill the void whether they be new or not.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.5  author  Kavika   replied to  GregTx @2.1.4    last year

The only new company is the one formed by the state no other are coming into Florida and many are leaving the last two are Farmers and a Division of AAA.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Jack_TX  replied to  Kavika @2.1    last year
Insurance companies are in the market to make money and they are losing big time in FL. If they can't make it here or don't see a future what in the world makes you think that a small or new start-up could make it? They will have to buy re insurance and the rates for that are out of this world.

This.

Insurance isn't like a restaurant or tech company where you can just start a new small player to fill a void left when big companies pull out.

The regulatory burden alone is a massive, massive barrier to entry.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.7  author  Kavika   replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.6    last year

Are you sure you meant the comment for me?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Jack_TX  replied to  Kavika @2.1.7    last year
Are you sure you meant the comment for me?

General audience, really.

It's just a way to concur with and expand upon what you're saying.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.9  author  Kavika   replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.8    last year

Ok, thanks.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  author  Kavika     last year

I live inland in Florida about 40 miles from the gulf and my home insurance is very high but nowhere near what insurance is when you live in a coastal city. 

A good friend lives in Ft, Meyers and he told me his new rate for property insurance is a bit over $6,000 per year which is nuts but it is what it is when you live in hurricane territory and insurance companies are leaving the state or as many have gone bankrupt.

Florida has the highest auto insurance rates as well, it's a double whammy for a lot of folks and it's the reason that more than 20% of Florida drivers are uninsured.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @3    last year

I also have a good friend that has lived in Ft Meyers since the 70's having the same experience.  He is in the commercial real estate business and said one of the problems in addition to the hurricanes is the growth of frivolous lawsuits and fraudulent insurance claims.  He told me that a Florida Supreme Court ruling six years ago  has resulted  in a large volume of claim litigation.   

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1    last year

The frivolous lawsuits are one of the driving costs in the out-of-control insurance premiums. A new bill was signed in April this year to help stop these lawsuits, I don't know if it will as one of the biggest law firms in Florida filed 25,000 new cases the week before the new law was signed. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4  Drinker of the Wry    last year

Wow, 25,000 lawsuits in one week.  That coupled with smaller companies that have gone bankrupt over the last few years lead to a big logjam of claims with people forced to sit on their hands without the money yet to repair their homes.  Seems like a more important issue than AP Psych.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  author  Kavika     last year

The 25,000 is only from one company, Morgan and Morgan and does not include any other law firm filings. I expect to see challenges to the new law since it makes what looks like questionable changes to tort law in Florida.