╌>

The Snap and the Scowl: The Trump Mugshot Ignites a Tinderbox Nation

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  93 comments

By:   JONATHAN TURLEY

The Snap and the Scowl: The Trump Mugshot Ignites a Tinderbox Nation
We often discuss the long-standing question of whether it is better for your client to smile or not smile in a mugshot. Some believe a smile conveys a lack of contrition while others view a frown as looking guilty. In the first mugshot of a former American president, Trump rejected both the "carefree smile" and…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

We often discuss the long-standing question of whether it is better for your client to smile or not smile in a mugshot. Some believe a smile conveys a lack of contrition while others view a frown as looking guilty. In the first mugshot of a former American president, Trump rejected both the "carefree smile" and the "disapproving frown" and went with seething scowl. It is a mugshot that unfortunately will resonate with both extremes in our political system.

In Christopher Marlowe's Doctor Fautus, the devil Mephistopheles (Marlowe spells the name "Mephistophilis") shows him Helen of Troy, "the face who launched a thousand ships" that released a firestorm.

The Trump mugshot is likely to launch millions of ships . . . all in the wrong directions.

For District Attorney Fani Willis and many of her supporters, the mugshot clearly holds a type of trophy kill appeal worthy of framing and mounting on a wall. This is one of those moments long portrayed on teeshirts and other merchandise for many on the left.

For many Trump supporters, it is a moment of gratuitous insult of a president who is now being prosecuted in four different states just before an election where he is the leading Republican candidate. For the most extreme, it will be portrayed as a virtual declaration of war, proof that the establishment will use every means to prevent another 2016 populist victory.

It is noteworthy that, like his critics, Trump is already selling merchandise with the mugshot and a "Never Surrender" slogan.

In that way, the mugshot will be the rallying cry at both extremes in our political system.

For that reason, I believe the mugshot was a mistake, an inflammatory moment wisely avoided in New York by another Democratic prosecutor. It is entirely unnecessary for the most recognized face in the United States.

The fact, however, is that many on both sides relish the rage. I have previously said that the most unnerving fact of what I have called "the age of rage" is that people secretly enjoy it. Rage is addictive. It allows people to say and do things that they would ordinarily avoid in public. It is a license to hate blindly and excuse all means to achieve an end.

I think that the Georgia, New York, and federal January 6th indictments are unwarranted and threaten free speech. Moreover, it is valid for many to object that these prosecutions could have occurred years ago, but were launched just before the presidential election so that Trump will be running from court to court through the general election.

It is also true that the Mar-a-Lago case is more serious and more substantive . . . and that threat is continuing to grow as a threat for Trump as witnesses change their testimony and Trump aides confirm key prosecution claims.

Likewise, while I believe the case against Trump in the Georgia indictment is weak, there are defendants in that case that face stronger claims on specific election-related crimes.

Of course, in an age of rage, reason is the first to die. We cannot allow that to happen; we cannot allow rage addicts to drive our political or legal processes. We have the greatest legal system in the world. We will sort out these issues from the criminalization of political speech to the claim that Trump can be barred from the ballot even without a charge or conviction.

Courts are likely to divide on these issues. However, we remain a nation of laws. That tradition takes a certain leap of faith. We do not support that the system only when we prevail. That is the view of court packers like Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D., Mass.) and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D., N.,Y.). Notably, Ocasio-Cortez even said that she does not understand why we need a Supreme Court.

Even law professors and legal commentators have called our Constitution "trash" and called for the country to "reclaim America from constitutionalism." That is the greatest danger of these times: that our deep divisions will cause us to lose faith in our defining values and in each other.

The Trump mugshot captures a defining moment for our country. It will define us. I believe that it is paramount that appellate courts consider the merits of the free speech and other challenges to the Georgia, New York, and federal cases. That may be difficult if judges support these prosecutors in demanding trials before constitutional appeals are taken. Appellate judges could agree, in good faith, that challenges are premature before any convictions.

The important thing is for citizens not to be played as chumps. We will sort this out. The courts will address these important legal issues as citizens resolve the equally important political issues raised by these prosecutions.

The merchandising and madness aside, we have more matters to resolve . . . together.

05282015_66951-e1532723116454.jpg?fit=297%2C300&ssl=1
Jonathan Turley

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

These terrible people are facing a savage payback.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year
These terrible people are facing a savage payback.

Retribution can be a bitch.

There shall be payback.

You can take it to the bank.

There will be consequences.

pffft, bring it trumpsters, make my day...

it seems as though some of the perks of an imperial presidency don't extend past it's last term...

looks like fulton county may be getting that new jail they've needed for decades...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2  Hal A. Lujah    last year

Consider that this complete moron is selling tee shirts with his mugshot and the caption “never surrender”.  A mugshot is the most apt description of a surrender.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2    last year

No, No it isn't. A mugshot can be the sign of a false arrest too.........

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    last year

Not in this case.  Not by a long shot.  His “candyass” could have refused to surrender, but instead he did literally surrender while telling his gullible sycophants that he will never surrender.  That is the epitome of gaslighting.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.1    last year

Refused to surrender? So there could be another dog and pony show at Mar A Lago? Yeah that makes sense.........said no one ever.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.2    last year

Oh good, now we agree that he surrendered.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.3    last year

Wouldn't you? This should be good..

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.3    last year

Retribution can be a bitch.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.6  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.4    last year

I would NEVER be in that situation.  Stupid question.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.6    last year

Never say never. There shall be payback.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.8  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.7    last year

Lol.  I’m going to get payback?  For what?  Talking honestly about what a pathetic piece of shit Donald Trump is?  Bring it, motherfuckers.  That loser can’t even be honest about his height and weight, and lists his hair color as “strawberry blond”.  Wtf is wrong with you people?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.8    last year

The animals on the left will regret the day they longed for that image.

You can take it to the bank.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.10  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.9    last year

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.11  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.10    last year

That would mean Ron DeSantis would win the GOP nomination and waltz into the White House. That would begin the process of removing the animals from power.

Are you sure you want that?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.12  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.11    last year

Lol.  Sure, yeah.  That’s going to happen.  jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.13  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.12    last year

I dont think any "shoo in" for the presidency has been as mocked and ridiculed as DeSantis has been recently. 

Aside from that he will never be president. His abortion ban sealed his fate on that. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.14  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.13    last year

Well, I learned today that he was a navy seal, and by that I mean he was the assistant urinalysis coordinator at Gitmo … so there’s that.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.15  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.12    last year

Without Trump it will. It's what the DNC really fears. They only want to run against the guy they are prosecuting & smearing. They learned from Putin.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.16  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.13    last year

"Never be President?"

Didn't they tell us that about someone in 2016?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2    last year
A mugshot is the most apt description of a surrender.

What I find hilarious is that he must have been practicing for weeks, if not months, for what he wanted his mugshot to look like.  The best he could come up with is looking like he was throwing a tantrum for being forced to sit at the kiddie table for Thanksgiving.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    last year

Has anyone told you that you have a sadistic sense of humor?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    last year

he must have been practicing for weeks, if not months, for what he wanted his mugshot to look like

100%.  I won’t even mock him for that though.  What nobody can resist mocking him over is his choice of words for the caption.  Literally the worst choice he could he have come up with.  He could have picked anything to pair with his angst ridden mugshot, but he went with the most obvious contradiction.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.2    last year

This is what you lusted for.

What does that tell us?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.3    last year

Did I really?  Nope.  I just can’t help but laugh hysterically about how he handled it.  You couldn’t even make this shit up and be taken seriously.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.4    last year

Obviously, you did.   

Everyone can see the real you.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
2.2.6  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.3    last year

You still seem to support him. That tells us a lot.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.6    last year

[Deleted]

Gordy327
Professor Guide
2.2.8  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.7    last year

I'm commenting. Is that a problem?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.8    last year

I just don't want you to feel uncomfortable.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
2.2.10  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.9    last year

Why would I? 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.1    last year
Has anyone told you that you have a sadistic sense of humor?

Yes, but my wife has nothing to do with this discussion...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    last year

Jonathan Turley is a right wing crank. I dont care if he is a law professor. There are plenty of crank law professors, look at John Eastman and Alan Dershowitz. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

This is where we get to examine the people who believe in prosecuting political opponents.

Caution is required.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    last year

Ask me if I give a fuck what MAGA fanatics think. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    last year

Right back at you.

Who cares what the fuck you think?

The Fascist left is on the march. Watch out everyone. If you defy them they will turn the IRS/FBI/DOJ on you. That is if they don't have control of the House to launch a shill investigation.

Great two tier justice system Brandon has. It is the envy of tin horn dictators everywhere.

Says a lot that leftists that used to openly question the system are no openly embracing it- so long as it is going after Republicans/Conservatives that is.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    last year
This is where we get to examine the people who believe in prosecuting political opponents.

this is where we get to examine the people that don't support the constitution, despite what they claim.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.2    last year

How is the fever swamp?  Water warm? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    last year
There shall be payback.

Like Hal said, "for what"? 

The only thing I agree with in this article is that Trump should have been indicted for his crimes against this country long ago. 

As far as it being unfair that this is being done while he is running for president, that is a hoot. Trump announced his candidacy way earlier than anyone else ever does totally in order to mess with prospective indictments against him, and to play the victim on and on and on. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4    last year

You don't even know what is wrong about all of this?

You wanted him prosecuted "long ago" for "something."

Take a good look at what you have all become.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    last year

You are , at best, spinning your wheels.  There is a chair in the corner you can sit down on and watch the world go by. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.1    last year

No John, we are not going to let the left destroy the Republic. 

There will be consequences.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.2    last year

Sounds like a conspiracy theory.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
4.1.4  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    last year

“Take a good look at what you have all become.”

If you mean those concerned citizens, despite partisan differences, who understand that some candidates have demonstrably and consistently betrayed our trust, betrayed their oath of office, betrayed the Constitution, and thus having betrayed everything we stand for…then it is not a question of what we have become, but rather a confirmation of what we have always been. Patriots. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  afrayedknot @4.1.4    last year

Remember the 2020 riots?

That kind of defined the character of the left. I don't see how you can disguise yourselves as "concerned citizens."

We can all see you!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.6  Ronin2  replied to  afrayedknot @4.1.4    last year

You think anyone still supporting Brandon isn't a traitor? 

Tells us all we need to know of your definition of "Patriots".

Maybe Brandon will reward you with another speech threatening to use military force against his political opponents.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
4.1.7  afrayedknot  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.6    last year

“…your definition of "Patriots”…”

”Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers.”
~ Tecumseh

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @4    last year

He’s been running longer than anyone, and has the least to offer as to why anyone should vote for him.  He won’t even participate in debating his opponents because he still doesn’t even understand the concepts of governing, and they will run circles around him while he resorts to slapping juvenile labels on everyone.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.2    last year

Are you ready for the big question?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.2.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.1    last year

I bet it begins with “what about”.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.2.2    last year

[Deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.3    last year

Maybe she will re-instate the Trump twitter feed that we used to enjoy on the front page. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.4    last year

Censorship is another thing you seem to believe in. The left is going after a good many of our Constitutional protections...freedom of speech, freedom of religion and the right to attorney privileges.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
4.2.6  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.5    last year

Paranoid nonsense. You have the exact same freedoms now as you have previously. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.2.7  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.5    last year

Censorship is another thing you seem to believe in.

This you?

The ONLY thing you know about me is that I am voicing my opinion on this public forum.  Tell me more about this payback.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.6    last year

We do? Why was the Hunter laptop story censored?

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.2.9  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.3    last year

"I will pose the question to management as soon as she gets here."

... and management is dying to address it! Just a guess.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.10  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @4.2.9    last year

It will present a problem for sure.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
4.2.11  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.8    last year

Yes, we do. I haven't lost any freedoms. I couldn't care less about Hunters laptop or such political shenanigans. If you imagine a loss of your freedoms, that seems to be your issue.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.12  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.11    last year

I rest my case.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
4.2.13  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.12    last year

What case? You made no case. Just nonsensical pangs of paranoia. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.14  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.5    last year
Censorship is another thing you seem to believe in. The left is going after a good many of our Constitutional protections...freedom of speech, freedom of religion and the right to attorney privileges.

Censorship like book banning?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.15  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.13    last year

You just made it for me.

I direct all to post: 4.2.11

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.16  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.14    last year

Yep. Ask J K Rowling

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.17  evilone  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.14    last year
Censorship like book banning?

Book banning, what one can say (or teach) in a classroom and self termination if one is not straight. Let's also not forget the loss of the right to privacy between a woman and her doctor. Democrats should be ashamed of themselves... /s

Gordy327
Professor Guide
4.2.18  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.15    last year

And you still haven't specified what freedoms you lost. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.19  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.18    last year

A factual news story that surely would have influenced an election was censored and you said you didn't care.

What is left to say?

Gordy327
Professor Guide
4.2.20  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.19    last year

So all you have is opinion then. Got it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.21  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.20    last year

What you "got" is a lot of blatant bias that blinds you to what is happening.

As you said:

I couldn't care less about Hunters laptop

A free press lost its freedom.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.22  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.19    last year

The press is largely in the tank for Biden and Democrats in general.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.2.23  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.16    last year

"Yep. Ask J K Rowling"

What exactly:

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.2.24  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.8    last year

"Why was the Hunter laptop story censored?"

Miranda Devine needed extra time when her pen ran out of poison?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2.25  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.14    last year

ook banning, 

Who does that? That's illegal.   

Notify the Biden DOJ ASAP and tell them. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.26  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.16    last year

So the fact that book banning is being instigated by conservatives, and being fought against by liberals, means nothing to you?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.28  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @4.2.23    last year

Allow me:

"Those seeking to understand why the average person is too terrified to speak up against transgender activism need only to look to J.K. Rowling. In a promotional trailer for Rowling’s forthcoming film,      Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore   , which she co-wrote and co-produced, her name    barely appears   . This contrasts with how prominently her name was featured in previous advertisements for the franchise.

Rowling has endured a continued campaign of punishment and harassment ever since she (rightfully)      ridiculed       the term “people who menstruate” last year on social media. Her most recent transgression, according to activists, was criticizing the police in Scotland for classifying offenders based on their gender self-identification. This means that a male rapist who    identifies as female   will have his offense recorded as being committed by a woman."

J.K. Rowling is being erased for defending women | Washington Examiner

She defended women against transgender activists and they tried to cancel her

harry-potter_01.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1024

She prevailed!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.29  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.26    last year

Books aren't banned.

Get a clue 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.30  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.26    last year

None of that is accurate.

Progressives have tried to ban books containing words that they find offensive. Many of them involve classic American literature, such as the works of Mark Twain

Conservatives have demanded that young children should have age-appropriate textbooks. Pornography and Queer Theory do not qualify.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2.31  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @4.2.17    last year

at one can say (or teach) in a classroom and self termination if one is not straigh

Every state in the nation regulates what can be said or taught  in a classroom. Is that news to you? No one has to quit because of their sexuality

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.32  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @4.2.24    last year
Why was the Hunter laptop story censored?"

Because some of the media were acting as Biden shills.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
4.2.33  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.21    last year

Projection!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.2.34  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.2.31    last year

No one has to quit because of their sexuality

Unless they made the mistake of accepting a job at a parochial school.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.35  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.33    last year

No, actually it was your own words that hung you.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.36  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.30    last year
Conservatives have demanded that young children should have age-appropriate textbooks.

Age appropriate by conservatives definition, despite the protests of parents, teachers and librarians.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.2.37  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.28    last year

FFS Vic! Here, let me use your style of writing: no one cares what the Examiner has to say; at least try to respond with sources rated above C-. The very same people seeking to ban Rowling in the early 2,000s are now her saviors? A tad too much hypocrisy methinks.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.38  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.2.31    last year

Why don't you comment on what I actually posted instead of a tangent I didn't express? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.39  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.36    last year

Lol...No parents and teachers are not together on this.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.40  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @4.2.37    last year

For somebody with so much education, one would think you would be writing articles for the Atlantic.

I think you may be wasting your talents here.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.2.41  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.40    last year

NT pays me more than the Atlantic.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
4.2.42  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.35    last year

Not even a little. I still have all my freedoms. Which of yours have you lost? I've asked you that multiple times now.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.43  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.39    last year
Lol...No parents and teachers are not together on this.

Why do you always pretend everything is black and white?

Some teachers, some parents, and some librarians are all for book banning.  Generally speaking they are conservative teachers, conservative parents, and conservative librarians. 

But there is the entire other range of conservative, liberal, and independent teachers, librarians, and parents, that are opposed to all these bans.

Thomas
Masters Guide
5  Thomas    last year

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
6  JumpDrive    last year
  • Trump did solicit a bribe from Zelenskyy in return for money allocated by Congress for Ukraine’s defense. An investigation into a political rival was a thing of personal value to Trump.
  • Trump did incite an insurrection with many months of lies. If it was not his intention, he could have nipped it in the bud with a few words. He did not.
  • Trump did attempt a coup.

If there are no repercussions for these actions, then why shouldn’t all presidencies end with attempt to be King? Each attempt will refine and build upon the last. All this nonsense about the weaponization of the justice system is the result of Trump’s total lack of integrity; a lifelong conman/grifter given the power to attempt the ultimate theft, our democracy. Conservatives have abandoned and denigrated the justice system because of its actions with respect to one man, Donald J Trump. Patriots protect our democracy. 

Trump has a history of doing anything he thinks he can get away with. The scheme used to cheat the gov't when his father died resulted in his sister having to give up being a judge. There is no statute of limitations for judicial misconduct. He's been sued at least twice for failure to rent to minorities. His charity was a grift he used to buy stuff for himself - shut down by the gov't. His university was also a grift, again shut down by the gov't with a $25M fine. He continues to grift money from his cult of morons. Back in the early '80s, Pete Rozelle told him he would never own an NFL team - because he was known to be a 'huckster scumbag'. He has always broken/skirted the law. He was a fool to run for president because that not only caused people to lift the Trump rock, it put him in a position to graduate from relatively low level white collar crimes to the big league.