╌>

Watch Live: New York City pauses to remember those killed in 9/11 terror attacks - CBS New York

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  19 comments

By:   John Dias, Zinnia Maldonado (CBSNewYork)

Watch Live: New York City pauses to remember those killed in 9/11 terror attacks - CBS New York
There will be moments of silence throughout the morning to honor the men, women and children who died 22 years ago on this day.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By John Dias, Zinnia Maldonado

Updated on: September 11, 2023 / 8:19 AM / CBS New York

CBS News Live CBS News New YorkLive

NEW YORK -- New York City and the world are remembering 9/11 this morning in Lower Manhattan, where the Twin Towers fell.

Twenty-two years have passed, but for many 9/11 feels like just yesterday. Some even remember the exact moment they learned the news, a day forever in our minds.

CBS New York's John Dias is live at the September 11th Memorial and Museum with more on what's ahead today.

There will be moments of silence throughout the morning to honor the men, women and children who died in 9/11.

Watch John Dias' report

For many, loss of 9/11 feels like yesterday02:43

"It all comes flying back, you know, never goes away," Karen Messemer told Dias.

Messemer had plans to marry her longtime boyfriend, 34-year-old Firefighter Durrell Pearsall. But on 9/11, he bravely ran toward danger.

"He went into Tower 2 and tried saving as many people and getting them out of the building," Messemer said.

• Read More: NYPD Commissioner Edward Caban looks back on 9/11 and lessons for today

Pearsall is one of the almost 400 first responders who died that day.

"They gave up so much for us, for our country, for our safety, for our security, and they do it every day without even blinking an eye," said Messemer.

After the attacks, the city and the nation rallied around the families of the fallen first responders. Nonprofit organizations have stepped up to help out, donating tens of millions of dollars to families in mourning for more than two decades.

"A tragedy happened, but tragically, the bills don't stop," said Lauren Profeta, executive director of Answer the Call, just one of those organizations. "We have been there each year for the last 22 years, and we will be here for the rest of our their lives."

Watch Zinnia Maldonado's report

NYC and nation pausing to remember 9/1101:46

On this day, the city remembers with the iconic Tribute in Lights and the annual reading of the names. Nearly 3,000 names, including volunteer Firefighter Glenn Winuk, who helped to evacuate his law firm then died while trying to rescue more people in the South Tower.

"He is somebody who lived his life and died in service to other people," said Jay Winuk, co-founder of 9/11 Day.

Winuk's brother, Jay, wanted to carry out his legacy by starting 9/11 Day, hoping to transform the anniversary into a day of doing good and giving back by volunteering. With more than 30 million Americans now participating, it has grown into the country's largest day of service and officially recognized under federal law.

"We really didn't know in the beginning how relevant would 9/11 be two decades forward, would people still care? But yet, it's very apparent," Winuk said.

• Read More: Volunteers to mark 9/11 Day of service at Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum

There are a number of events taking place across the Tri-State Area today. The Jersey City Waterfront Memorial Ceremony will be held at 8:30 a.m., the New York City Fire Museum is holding a service at 11:30 a.m., and the Port Authority Interfaith Remembrance at St. Peters Church kicks off at 2 p.m.

President Joe Biden will also mark the anniversary of the attacks in Alaska after returning from the G20 summit, but Vice President Kamala Harris is here in New York City.

CBS New York will have live coverage of the day's remembrances. Watch our special report streaming live at 8:25 a.m. in the player above or on CBS News New York.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

Somewhere beneath the attack on Pearl Harbor is the attack on American civilians that took place in our lifetime. 

It may be time to grade the response.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    last year

`In my opinion, this documentary by the Naudet brothers tells the story best and really captures the horror of that day

Over 300 firefighters died that day.

9/11 ( A Documentary by Gédéon & Jules Naudet ) - YouTube

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

For the first responders in NYC it was a moment of heroism.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    last year

And the passengers of Flight 93.

The cockpit recording has never been released.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    last year

Here is part of the series I started watching last night. They had a lot of recorded audio traffic 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4  Nerm_L    last year

Didn't everyone get the memo?  The United States lost, the Taliban won.  We're supposed to forget Sept. 11 the same way we forgot Vietnam.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @4    last year

What are you talking about?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Nerm_L @4    last year

I'm not sure what we lost, a failed belated attempt at nation-building?

Our original mission was to go in light, kill/capture as many Al-Qaeda as possible and to punish the Taliban for harboring them.  After a year, it was mission accomplished at the lost of about 60 americans.  We should have left then and told the warlords, if the terrorists come back, so do we.

Our mistake was convincing ourselves that we could turn these tribal people into a nation.  In that, we failed at great cost.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.2    last year
Our mistake was convincing ourselves that we could turn these tribal people into a nation.

The belief in the magical powers of democracy led to a great deal of trouble there and in Iraq.   

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.2.1    last year

I think that we might have succeeded in Iraq, very different people that Afghanistan.  Rumsfeld was right about going light in Afghanistan but was way wrong on Iraq.  He forbid any planning for an occupation. Then our dismantling of the Baath Party created a political vacuum. Instead of keeping their military, we put hundreds of thousands of men into unemployment and crreated a security void.

Very fucking stupid.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2.3  Ronin2  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.2.2    last year

The only way we would have succeeded in Iraq was to divide it up into 3 or more separate countries between the Kurds, Sunni, and Shai- who would have joined Iran.

In the end all we did was hand the whole country over to Iran; and ensure we would have to have troops there forever to defend the Sunni and Kurds from their own government. Throw in keeping Iranian militias from overrunning the whole country.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5  Jasper2529    last year

I've watched the memorial tribute on TV for 21 years, and it's still very emotional. I was glad to see Kamala Harris, former NY governor Pataki, former mayor Bloomberg, and Eric Adams there. I find it shameful, but not surprising, that Joe Biden chose to not be on American soil during the traditional memorial ceremonies as all other US presidents have been.

I'm especially glad that Bloomberg had the decency to stay for the entire ceremony, because all the others left before it was finished. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6  Jasper2529    last year
New York City and the world are remembering 9/11 this morning in Lower Manhattan, where the Twin Towers fell. Twenty-two years have passed, but for many 9/11 feels like just yesterday. Some even remember the exact moment they learned the news, a day forever in our minds.

There were thousands of acts of heroism and help that day and during the weeks and months after. Two videos that I've shared with my children, who were literally children that day, are the following. They need to always remember:

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jasper2529 @6    last year

History Channel had a great program about Gander and the challenges they faced and conquered. It was very very good.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1    last year

I'm watching History right now. The story of United 93 just ended, and the new one is about Air Force One. They've had wonderful 9/11 programs all day. (It also has other terrific programs about world and US history)

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.1    last year

I saw that last night. I am glad they are playing it over as I want to watch some more tonight 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7  Drinker of the Wry    last year
There were thousands of acts of heroism and help that day and during the weeks and months after. Two videos that I've shared with my children, who were literally children that day, are the following. They need to always remember:

Yes and the firefighters and construction workers that worked round the clock for 7 months in NYC clearing the site while looking for bodies.

Two days represented US resilience for me after that horrific day.  One was on 12, Sept 2001 when I helped reesstablish Army offices in the Pentagon and on 26 November, 2001, when I moved back into wedge 1 of the Pentagon.

shona1
Professor Quiet
8  shona1    last year

Morning..

Think of that day every morning on September 11th..

I will never forget the towers falling at 20 to 12 at night here..

Nor the Aussies lost that day far from home..and all the others who perished...

They just identified two more lost souls from 9/11 the other day..

We remember..🇦🇺💔🇺🇲🥀

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

88cebfa561370105ba5b033fcbe0aeb8.png

Featured Image Credit:  YouTube