╌>

X makes cuts to disinformation and election integrity team

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  44 comments

By:   Brandy Zadrozny and Jason Abbruzzese

X makes cuts to disinformation and election integrity team
X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, has slashed the number of people on its disinformation and election integrity team just weeks after it said it was hiring for new positions to help it guard against foreign interference.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, has slashed the number of people on its disinformation and election integrity team just weeks after it said it was hiring for new positions to help it guard against foreign interference.

The cuts, first reported by the tech-focused media outlet The Information, included Aaron Rodericks, the head of the team, said a person familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity out of concerns about professional consequences.

The person familiar with the cuts said four people had been let go — the entirety of X's election integrity unit in its Dublin office.It's unclear how many people remain on the team.

X did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

X owner Elon Musk leaves the U.S. Capitol on Sept. 13.Mandel Ngan / AFP - Getty Images file

X had recently posted job openings on its "threat disruption" team, and in August it published a blog post detailing its efforts to ensure "accurate and safe political discourse on X."

"We're currently expanding our safety and elections teams to focus on combating manipulation, surfacing inauthentic accounts and closely monitoring the platform for emerging threats," the company said in the blog post.

CEO Linda Yaccarino, a former NBCUniversal advertising executive, also recently told The Financial Times that the company plans to expand its trust and safety and elections teams (NBCUniversal is the parent company of NBC News).

The cuts, which were reported on the day of the second Republican presidential primary debate, are part of X's broader pullback from its efforts to address false information and foreign interference that once ran rampant on the platform. Owner Elon Musk instituted broad layoffs when he took over the company, some of them on its once-sizable "trust and safety" team.

Since then, X has remained in flux, with many other high-level trust and safety staffers leaving, including Yoel Roth and Ella Irwin, each of whom lasted only a handful of months atop the division.

Musk has also aggressively criticized the company's previous moderation efforts, releasing internal documents that he and conservative commentators have claimed showed a liberal bent to how it handled elections and misinformation.

In recent months, conservative users who had been critical of X's content moderation policies took to posting Rodericks' previous tweets and likes, suggesting he was working against Musk's vision of a so-called free speech platform.

Rodericks secured a temporary injunction in an Irish court last week restraining the company from further disciplinary proceedings. According to The Irish Times, Rodericks told the court that X executives were punishing him because he "demonstrated hostility" with posts critical of Musk and Yaccarino.

The Information's report quickly triggered criticism from some tech watchdogs. The Tech Oversight Project, a nonprofit organization that supports breaking up large tech companies, pointed to a recent European Commission report that found X had the largest uptick in disinformation and Russian propaganda of any tech platform from January to May.

"Since taking charge of X, Elon Musk has used the platform to foment antisemitism, hate speech, and disinformation — playing into the hands of bad actors like Russia, China, and Iran," Kyle Morse, the deputy executive director of the Tech Oversight Project, said in a news release. "Decimating their election integrity team — on top of last year's firings — means that X will continue to be a toxic hellscape that people and advertisers should avoid."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

CB
Professor Principal
1  CB    last year

It's amazingly obvious. This is Musk's play to oligarchs having their control over the world. Confuse the masses through dazzling BS coming from all around the world. Musk is revealing why he bought this enterprise in the first place. The goal is clear (to me)

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  CB @1    last year

Nonsense. It can't get any worse than it was in under the previous ownership, when the "integrity team" happily collaborated with the FBi and White House in their disinformation campaign and censorship.

The current claims of disinformation, antisemitism, and hate speech are unsupported.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year
claims of disinformation

Seems those same claims could be made of several here.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.2  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year

You put "integrity team" in quotes. Why? This ridiculous notion that some how we can have a set of government systems without people populating positions is nonsense. I don't know what you want this country to look like, but let me say this: A collection of UN-UNITED STATES would look like the joke the wording appears!

Turning former Twitter into a den of iniquities and a free-for-all won't win Musk any 'awards.' Hell, I am told, and I believe it—sane people don't like chaos in their dealings.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  CB @1.1.2    last year
The "former Twitter [was already] a den of iniquities and a free-for-all" [for misinformation and censorship]

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.4  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.3    last year

I stand by what I wrote, because truth matters and BS walks.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  cjcold  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.3    last year
for misinformation

That a far-right winger   [removed]   would say that means what?

Is it upside down day, black is white day again?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @1.1.5    last year

What misinformation?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    last year

Misinformation?  Well you could start with the Mar-a-Lago dude saying, "I'm like a really smart guy."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @1.1.7    last year

Well, if you read the comment my question was in response TO, you wouldn't be reduced to blathering about Trump.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.1.9  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year
The current claims of disinformation, antisemitism, and hate speech are unsupported.

Are you sure about that Greg? 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.10  Greg Jones  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.9    last year

Show me the evidence/proof.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.1.11  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.10    last year

Look at the slides on this link:

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1    last year
It's amazingly obvious.

Yes.

This is Musk's play to oligarchs having their control over the world.

No.

Confuse the masses through dazzling BS coming from all around the world.

It's not his fault the masses are easily confused.

The goal is clear (to me)

I doubt that very seriously.

He bought Twitter because he didn't like being told he couldn't say anything liberals didn't like.... and he was rich enough to win that fight.  

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.1  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2    last year

You are part of the "masses" - Yes or No? So what does that say about you?  Or, are you in the oligarch class? The time has come to stand for something and stop fence-straddling!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    last year

Are we really trying to prevent foreign disinformation?

How do we verify foreign disinformation?

Back when X was Twitter during the 2020 election a factual news story was censored.

During the pandemic under Joe Biden, Twitter censored medical experts who questioned CDC pronouncements.

This article is 1) a hit job on Musk & 2) another attempt to conflate preventing foreign propaganda with blatant censorship.

Voted down, 

evilone
Professor Guide
3  evilone    last year

I refuse to use X until it's sold and run by competent people.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1  cjcold  replied to  evilone @3    last year
I refuse to use X

Never been to Twitter, X, Facebook, Instagram, etc...

It's all I can do to deal with the crap that goes on here.

Guess I'm just a small-town boy at heart.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2  Jack_TX  replied to  evilone @3    last year
I refuse to use X until it's sold and run by competent people.

I feel that way about the Dallas Cowboys.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    last year

Community Notes is the closest thing to an actual fact checker that I've seen. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1  cjcold  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    last year

So fact checking by committee is your reality?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @4.1    last year

What is your fact checking reality?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.1    last year

Intelligent folk who actually believe in facts and truth.

Doing exhaustive research rather than playing juvenile political games.

Truth isn't just a matter of opinion. 

Truth isn't just a matter of consensus.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.1    last year

What is yours?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1.3    last year

Glenn Kessler, Wash Post

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    last year

He won't be happy until is X is ash

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    last year

Putin needs a mouthpiece in Western media.  Musk has stepped up.  Unfortunately, I suspect the monetary benefit will be far less than expected.  Of course, I could also be incorrect.  But I doubt it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @6    last year

Maybe THIS is the big mystery of Helsinki?!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    last year
the big mystery of Helsinki

No big mystery. It wasn't even a fair fight.

Trump the idiot fool being owned by Putin the KGB spymaster.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @6.1.1    last year

Speculation and perhaps mere wishful thinking on your part because you damn sure have never provided even a hint of proof [deleted]

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.2    last year
wishful thinking

Putin was afraid of Hillary.

That's why he had his propaganda machine do everything in their power to trash her before 2016. Putin knew he could easily manage Trump and all of Trump's idiotic far-right wing sycophants. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @6.1.3    last year

looks like wishful thinking graduated to full blown crazy conspiracy!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.5  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.4    last year

imagine it would hurt one's ego to know that they were controlled by Russian intelligence.

The truth is out there for any who care to do the research.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @6.1.5    last year

does it hurt to ignore reality?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.7  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.6    last year

Let me know if it hurts to be put on ignore.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @6.1.7    last year

Think about what you wrote!

LOL!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @6.1.7    last year

How can someone that you’ve put on ignore let you know anything here?

Why would you think that hurts anyway?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  cjcold @6.1.7    last year

It doesn't

CB
Professor Principal
6.2  CB  replied to  bbl-1 @6    last year

Musk is making a major play for 'theft' of the country. I can't believe what I am watching, but it's true. These. . .people. . .are serious about NOT letting go of the power to control other people's lives and minds. Musk is decidely NOT a friend of the common man or woman. Time we realize it and take ACTION according.

Musk is going to be a really big problem with this "X" service of his next year! Count on it.

Time to plan NOW on how to deal with "X" (and Musk)!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  CB @6.2    last year

Theft?

Really?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  CB @6.2    last year

what imaginary powers have you assigned to Musk?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.2.3  cjcold  replied to  CB @6.2    last year

Never been on Twitter, sure as hell won't be on X.

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.4  CB  replied to  cjcold @6.2.3    last year

I have a Twitter account that responds to me with information unrelated to politics. I will keep the account for that purpose alone as usual. I will not use "X" for political discussion, as I have never done so.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    last year

Twitter has NEVER been a good source of information. Anytime I hear about something on Twitter it has a gigantic asterisk by it in my mind.