╌>

Israel war: Offensive into Gaza reportedly delayed over fears of Hezbollah intervention

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gregtx  •  last year  •  16 comments

Israel war: Offensive into Gaza reportedly delayed over fears of Hezbollah intervention
The Israeli ground offensive into Gaza was partially delayed over a fear of an intervention by Hezbollah from the border with Lebanon, according to a report.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Israeli ground offensive into Gaza was partially delayed over a fear of an intervention by Hezbollah from the border with Lebanon, according to a report.

Sources familiar with the matter told the Jerusalem Post that the Israeli military decided against launching the invasion last weekend at the last minute, worrying that it would leave them too vulnerable to an intervention from Hezbollah. The Israeli government reportedly fears that Hezbollah may be waiting for the Israeli Defense Forces to become bogged down in Gaza, after which they will launch a full invasion from the north.

The report added that the IDF is still looking to invade Gaza, but the invasion has been delayed in order to prepare better. The delay reflects a growing awareness of the scale of the task before them.

"There is also a deepening recognition in the IDF and at the political level, that the IDF has not done anything like this in decades, and that rushing in unprepared, simply to more quickly satisfy the wider population's thirst for retribution, could be a large mistake," the report stated.

Observers have watched the Israel-Lebanon border with anxiety since the beginning of the war last week, as the intervention of Hezbollah would drastically expand the scope of the conflict.

Hezbollah is far larger and better armed than Hamas. The Palestinian terror group is estimated to have a few thousand troops, and Hezbollah has at least 60,000, according to Nicholas Blanford, an expert on Hezbollah with the Atlantic Council. Its firepower rivals that of most nations, including an arsenal of over 150,000 rockets, with the ability to strike anywhere within Israel.

Hezbollah serves as the primary proxy army of Iran, which further raises concerns that a war with Hezbollah could draw its patron in as well. While a war against a relatively small amount of Palestinian militants is perfectly manageable by Israel, a war against Hezbollah and Iran would be likely to draw in the involvement of the United States.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

GregTx
Professor Guide
1  seeder  GregTx    last year
Observers have watched the Israel-Lebanon border with anxiety since the beginning of the war last week, as the intervention of Hezbollah would drastically expand the scope of the conflict.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  GregTx @1    last year

Seems like what we kind of knew.

Hezbollah/Iran were in on the despicable acts of terror against Israel.

Pretty naive to assume anything else.

I have no problem with Israel delaying as long as necessary.

Better to be right than first.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    last year

A secondary reason for delay would be giving the civilian Gazans more time to evacuate the north of Gaza.  The deaths of more and more Gazan civilians is bound to shift the opinions of many who have been supportive of Israel.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.2  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    last year

I, for one, would not support anybody or any government that supports willful blood-letting of non-combatants. I simply won't do it. And others, for consistency-sake, should not either. BTW, this is a major reason Secretary of State Blinken is running his behind off internationally over the incident which sparked this violence. He must get the innocent - weak, young, non-combatants completely out of harm's way. . .for civility and decency-sake!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    last year
A secondary reason for delay would be giving the civilian Gazans more time to evacuate the north of Gaza. 

I am sure that it played a part of Israel's decision. A little bit more of the stark differences between Israel and terrorist Hamas and Hezbollah demonstrated for the world to judge accordingly.

When you are able to demonstrate to the world what a civilized nation should do, you are bound to get some respect and credit for it especially in contrast to their enemies' tactics.

The deaths of more and more Gazan civilians is bound to shift the opinions of many who have been supportive of Israel.

I can see it costing them some support but don't think it will be significant in number. I think that at some point Palestinians are going to need to rid themselves of Hamas, because no one really can without their help unless you go in there and simply raze every square inch of Gaza, and we all know that isn't going to happen from Israel or the US.

I am in no way advocating for more civilian deaths on either side, but we know how Hamas uses the population to hide in and be protected by those they are supposed to represent. Palestinians need to help Israel root out Hamas.

That's the fastest way to save lives of civilians on both sides. That is the fastest way to peace.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  cjcold  replied to  CB @1.1.2    last year

The IDF will be doing it. 

At least they left non-combatants a chance.

Expect hell on Earth on Gaza.

Israil will likely wreak havoc within hours.

There will no longer be a Gaza strip.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.5  CB  replied to  cjcold @1.1.4    last year

If/when Israel causes "hell on Earth" in Gaza and make the city/strip like it never ever existed, then. . . somebody will have to rebuild it. That costs money and the thing speaks for itself!

That said, as long as non-combatants are not massacred by Israel (as Hamas did to Israel), some semblance of hope will remain for the people and for Israel/Palestinian relations.

There is way more going on in the ME between these two states than just vengeance. They are two-people joined at the hip and the sooner one or the two of them realizes it the better for the entire region/world.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.5    last year
then. . . somebody will have to rebuild it.

The Gazians can use the work.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.7  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.6    last year

A glib response. The work will be fine and probably better than it was before. Who's going to pay for it? Do Palestinians have the money for infrastructure rebuilding? If they do not. . . add another reason for aspirations for Israel to simply go away. 

To be clear, I have respect for the complexity of the Palestinian/Israelite problem.  None of this is easy before or will be easy after. 

All the more reason for them both to get on with finding a workable and lasting solution. An answer to their problem/s which does not involve throwing the world out of alignment every few years!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.7    last year
Who's going to pay for it? Do Palestinians have the money for infrastructure rebuilding?

How about their Arab neighbors always providing rhetorical support, especially the rich Gulf States?

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.9  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.8    last year

Whatever. I have no idea, but somebody will need to help out before 'winter' in that part of the world. One more thing, it's my understanding that Israel wants to have partial control over Gaza territories so it can oversight Palestinian interests (keep an eye on the populace) - not sure Israel can let other Arab states have free-rein to rebuild Gaza and the 'Strip' as it would nullify and circumvent Israel's interests in the places.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.9    last year
Whatever. I have no idea, but somebody will need to help out before 'winter' in that part of the world.

Whatever indeed.  Arab nations need to get out their  checkbooks.

Not sure who really writes checks anymore but if anyone still does, it’s still the Arabs.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.11  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.10    last year

We'll have to watch this space as Rachel Maddow loves to say. However, I am curious if the Arab states do the rebuild, what input would Israel have about what goes "in" the new Gaza/Strip projects? Any? None? All?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     last year
The Israeli army on Monday (Oct 16) said that they activated a plan to evacuate residents next to Lebanon a day after exchange of fire with Hezbollah which has since led to the death of  one civilian and wounded three others

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @2    last year

And two American carrier groups turn this into a nuclear standoff?

Fuck all religious extremists who thrive for war!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @2.1    last year
And two American carrier groups turn this into a nuclear standoff?
Are you criticizing the CiC decision?