╌>

The Marines heading to the Mediterranean have a 40-year blood feud with Hezbollah | Washington Examiner

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  last year  •  18 comments

By:   TomRtweets (Washington Examiner)

The Marines heading to the Mediterranean have a 40-year blood feud with Hezbollah | Washington Examiner
I noted last week that the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit's movement from the Persian Gulf to the Mediterranean Sea would indicate U.S. concern over possible threats from the Lebanese Hezbollah to U.S. diplomats in Beirut and to Israel's northern border.

October 23rd, 1983 was a beautiful Sunday in Southern California and I was looking forward to watching some football. In a minute the world changed and it is a moment in time that I will never forget. 40 years later that day and the next few months are burned in my mind.

220 Marines, 18 Sailors, and 3 Soldiers killed and over 100 wounded.

A bit later another suicide bomber hit the French Paratrooper Barrack killing 58 French Paratroopers.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

I noted last week that the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit's movement from the Persian Gulf to the Mediterranean Sea would indicate U.S. concern over possible threats from the Lebanese Hezbollah to U.S. diplomats in Beirut and to Israel's northern border.

Well, embarked aboard the USS Bataan, the 26th MEU is now on its way to the eastern Mediterranean. It will join the USS Gerald R. Ford carrier strike group, which is already there. Another carrier strike group led by the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower is also on its way to the Mediterranean and will arrive by the month's end. Any mission in Lebanon would carry personal import for the Marines. Consider that the 26th MEU's ground combat element/battalion landing team is centered on the 1st Battalion of the 6th Marine Regiment. The 2nd and 3rd battalions of the 6th Marine Regiment have previously deployed on operations to Lebanon during the 1950s and 1980s, as have some of the fighter squadrons aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford. But what gives Lebanon special poignance in Marines' hearts and minds is what happened in that country 40 years and one week ago today.

CHINA AND RUSSIA REINFORCE DIPLOMATIC FRONT AGAINST ISRAEL

What happened was a massive vehicle-borne suicide bombing attack on the Marine barracks in Beirut. Two hundred and twenty Marines, 18 sailors, and three soldiers were killed. Iran and the then-formative Lebanese Hezbollah were responsible. Shortly thereafter, another suicide bomber attacked a French paratrooper barracks, killing 58. That April, another Hezbollah attack caused massive damage and the death of 17 Americans at the U.S. Embassy in Beirut.

The Marines have not forgotten this hard history.

When they were struck on Oct. 23, 1983, the Marine barracks in Beirut were home to the 8th Marine Regiment. The regiment had been deployed as part of a joint U.S.-French peacekeeping force amid the brutal Lebanese Civil War. Yet the aftermath of Hezbollah's bombing saw a largely impotent response by the Reagan administration and an eventual withdrawal of U.S. forces from Lebanon. The ensuing perception of American weakness was instructive for both Iran and future terrorists such as Osama bin Laden. Although it is now inactive, the 8th Marine Regiment was, at the time of the attack, a subordinate unit of the 2nd Marine Division. The 6th Marines centerpiece of the 26th MEU was (and remains) a sister regiment under the 2nd Marine Division. The Marine esprit de corps means that the officers and senior enlisted personnel belonging to the 26th MEU will be keenly aware of this shared history. Put simply, they lost division brothers from a different generation in Beirut.

In turn, if the Marines are ordered into action in Lebanon, their focus on achieving their mission will go hand-in-hand with their sense that Hezbollah has an overdue blood bill to pay.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     last year

The ME is on the edge.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    last year

funny how republicans don't recall raygun running away from that. a bunch of pissed off marines should do the trick. only this time we should keep the real estate we take in middle east shitholes. there's a buttload of trumpsters that will need a new home soon.

Michael C.
Freshman Guide
1.1.1  Michael C.  replied to  devangelical @1.1    last year
we should keep the real estate we take

What real estate are we are taking in the ME?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Michael C. @1.1.1    last year

any part of the vast religious extremist cemetery that doesn't have markers ...

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.2  Drakkonis  replied to  Kavika @1    last year
The ME is on the edge.

Yeah. I imagine there's a lot of situation rooms in various governments trying to figure out what Iran is going to do. 

Michael C.
Freshman Guide
1.2.1  Michael C.  replied to  Drakkonis @1.2    last year
Yeah. I imagine there's a lot of situation rooms in various governments trying to figure out what Iran is going to do. 

Actually I wouldn't be too surprised if Iran's leaders aren't too sure about what want to do. On one hand it would fill their harts with joy to massacre a lot of Jews. And if the captured a lot of Jewish land.

OTOH while Hezb'Allah is naturally concentrated to the South of Lebanon (right up to Israel/s border) there are lot of other groups, other religions, even different Islamic sects)in Lebanon  that don't particularly like Hezb'Allah. And many Lebanese don't want war-- if H. drags them into yet a war they would be very angry.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2  Drinker of the Wry    last year
When they were struck on Oct. 23, 1983, the Marine barracks in Beirut were home to the 8th Marine Regiment. The regiment had been deployed as part of a joint U.S.-French peacekeeping force amid the brutal Lebanese Civil War.

Suicide bombings of peacekeepers.  The ME has a deep history of not wanting peace. Terrorist attacks, waning Congressional support and no diplomatic progress among the warring factions led Reagan to cut our losses.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2    last year

I lost friends that I went to Hospital Corps School and Field Medical Service School with that were FMF Corpsmen in the Beirut bombing.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    last year

That was hard, costly lessons to learn as novices in the ME, from strategic cost/benefit analysis, to mission creep and barracks security against suicide bombing threat.

It’s hard to lose family members and friends when they are so young.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    last year

I certainly understand your feelings, Doc. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    last year

I feel ya brother, so did I.

Michael C.
Freshman Guide
2.2  Michael C.  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2    last year
Suicide bombings of peacekeepers.

That's an important point to keep in mind. The marines were not there to wage war on some hostile enemy. Rather they were there to keep the peace. (Peace is a concept that Islamic extremists are not to fond of).

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Michael C. @2.2    last year

Yes, we were trying to protect Palestinian refugees in Lebanon,  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Michael C. @2.2    last year

Life is cheap to them

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Kavika     last year

The warning signs were everywhere, first, there was the bombing of the US Embassy in April of 83 which killed 63 people, 52 of them American and Lebanese employees of the embassy.

There had been skirmishes between the Marines and terrorists for months before the bombing.

We missed them all at the cost of 241 American servicemen killed and hundreds wounded. 

I have never got over that total fuck up by the US.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @3    last year

Under the Rules of Engagement, the guards didn’t have their weapons loaded.  This was the real start of the US Global War on Terror.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1    last year

I'm intimately familiar with that whole disaster, Drinker. Yes, it was the real start of the War on Terror and it was Hezbollah's first major attack.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    last year

Painful lessons learned and yet we have had to pay a heavy price to learn them several times again:

- Pan Am 103, 1988

- World Trade Center, 1993

- Khobar Towers, 1996

- US Embassies bombings , 1998

- USS Cole, 2000

And many lesser attacks.