╌>

Tom Emmer drops out of Speaker's race | The Hill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  evilone  •  last year  •  33 comments

By:   Mychael Schnell (The Hill)

Tom Emmer drops out of Speaker's race | The Hill
House Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-Minn.) dropped out of the Speaker's race Tuesday, just hours after the conference nominated the Minnesota Republican for the top job, according to a source familiar. Emmer withdrew his name from the running after a contingent of Republicans made clear they would not back him on the House floor, making…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

by Mychael Schnell - 10/24/23 4:28 PM ET

House Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-Minn.) dropped out of the Speaker's race Tuesday, just hours after the conference nominated the Minnesota Republican for the top job, according to a source familiar.

Emmer withdrew his name from the running after a contingent of Republicans made clear they would not back him on the House floor, making it virtually impossible for him to secure enough votes to win the gavel.

It also came after former President Trump released a scathing statement calling Emmer a "RINO" and saying voting for him "would be a tragic mistake."

Emmer won the GOP nomination over House GOP Vice Chair Mike Johnson (La.) in a secret ballot 117-97, but in a secondary roll call vote, 26 Republicans voted present or for another person, according to House GOP Conference Secretary Lisa McClain (R-Mich.).

If all members vote present and for a specific candidate, Emmer could only afford to lose four Republicans and still win the Speakership on the House floor.

Emmer is the third GOP Speaker nominee to fall short of the gavel in the past three weeks. The conference voted to drop Judiciary Committee Chair Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) as its nominee last week following three failed attempts to win the gavel on the House floor. Before that, House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) withdrew his name from the running amid staunch opposition from Jordan supporters.

News of Emmer dropping out from the race will catapult the House GOP conference back to square one — again — as they restart the search for a new Speaker following Rep. Kevin McCarthy's (R-Calif.) ouster from the post.

Tuesday marked exactly three weeks since eight Republicans and Democrats voted to boot McCarthy from the Speakership.

DEVELOPING.

Tags Mike Johnson Steve Scalise Tom Emmer

Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

evilone
Professor Guide
1  seeder  evilone    last year

At this point I don't see any way out for the House but moderates on both sides to break ranks. The Clown Car Freedom Caucus refuses to govern.

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1  Hallux  replied to  evilone @1    last year

Oooops ... I'll trash my seed.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1    last year

what a serial GOP shit show. trump still has the entire republican house by the short and curlies...

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  devangelical @1.2    last year

At some point Trump and Co will overstep the will of everyone else. As non-governing more and more eat into the profits of the donor class this will get more interesting.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1.2.1    last year

if I was jefferies, I'd be looking for 5 or 6 republicans that wanted some plum committee assignments or a soft landing in their next election...

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.3  seeder  evilone  replied to  devangelical @1.2.2    last year
if I was jefferies, I'd be looking for 5 or 6 republicans that wanted some plum committee assignments or a soft landing in their next election...

It won't be Jefferies. It would take 7 Republicans to cross ranks and it would be political suicide. IF I were Jefferies I'd be pushing my moderates to talk to the Republican moderates to elect one of them. The Dems can withstand that to get back to work and almost look like saviors and get back on committees themselves.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3  TᵢG  replied to  evilone @1    last year

Yeah this is now beyond absurd.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.1  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @1.3    last year

they're intentionally sabotaging all the republicans in unsafe and contested house districts for 2024. LOL, too bad...

evilone
Professor Guide
1.3.2  seeder  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1.3    last year

The next one up now is Mike Johnson from LA. A Freedom Caucus MAGA populist.

Johnson, who was first elected to Congress in 2016, voted against certifying the 2020 presidential election results.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.3  TᵢG  replied to  evilone @1.3.2    last year

Yeah, they blew it again.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.3.4  seeder  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.3    last year

The floor vote will come shortly after noon eastern time. Johnson says he's confident he will pass in one vote and that seems to be the message the GOP is pushing this morning.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.5  TᵢG  replied to  evilone @1.3.4    last year

The GOP Trump infection worsens.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     last year

Wow, talk about a total Clown Car without a driver. We are seeing wacko's that were willing to overturn the constitution control our country.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Kavika @2    last year

The wako's want to kill government so I guess to them this way is as good as any. At some point the rest of the party may have to cut them loose.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  evilone @2.1    last year
The wako's want to kill government

That's it exactly.

They wanted a shutdown and didn't get it, so they're refusing to cooperate until they get one.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.2  seeder  evilone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.1    last year
They wanted a shutdown and didn't get it, so they're refusing to cooperate until they get one.

Either someone from leadership sits the idiots down and tells them this is how it will be done or they lose all their committees and reelection cash OR they start making deals with Democrats to get business done. I don't see the moderates in swing districts sitting on their hands staring down a government shutdown.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  evilone @2.1.2    last year

The "freedom caucus" doesnt care if the government shuts down. That is one of the predicaments in this, the nihilists in the Republican conference WANT government crippled. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.4  seeder  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    last year
The "freedom caucus" doesnt care if the government shuts down.

As I've said. Now it's up to the rest of them to take charge OR face their electorate that doesn't want a shut down. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  evilone @2.1.4    last year

The rest of them would not be enough to elect a new speaker unless the Democrats work with them. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.6  seeder  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.5    last year

And that might be what it takes.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    last year
The "freedom caucus" doesnt care if the government shuts down.

Quite the contrary.  They very much want it shut down.

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.2  Hallux  replied to  Kavika @2    last year

Yikes, tomorrow will be awash with squirrel seeds.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.2.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Hallux @2.2    last year

(deleted)

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @2.2    last year

it'll be a mad scramble to find stories that aren't about the incompetence of the house republicans...

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.3  devangelical  replied to  afrayedknot @2.2.1    last year

republicans are in a huddle now trying to figure out how to blame house democrats for this.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3  Jack_TX    last year
House Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-Minn.) dropped out of the Speaker's race Tuesday, just hours after the conference nominated the Minnesota Republican for the top job, 

Oh FFS.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    last year

Just give it to Nick Fuentes and get it over with. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    last year

There was some far right conspiracy about Emmer going around the last couple days.  There are so many of them though I cant quite remember what it was. 

evilone
Professor Guide
6  seeder  evilone    last year

I can't remember off the top of my head, did the Armed Forces Appropriations bill get passed or was it wrapped into McCarthy's CR? 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilone @6    last year

It’s was never passed, I don’t even think the House has a draft version.  The SAC-D and the HAC-D haven’t meet to resolve differences.  Best we can hope for at this point is another Continuing Resolution.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    last year
Trump   placed this presidential message   on Truth Social this afternoon:

I have many wonderful friends wanting to be Speaker of the House, and some are truly great Warriors. RINO Tom Emmer, who I do not know well, is not one of them. He never respected the Power of a Trump Endorsement, or the breadth and scope of MAGA—MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! He fought me all the way, and actually spent more time defending Ilhan Omar, than he did me—He is totally out-of-touch with Republican Voters. I believe he has now learned his lesson, because he is saying that he is Pro-Trump all the way, but who can ever be sure? Has he only changed because that’s what it takes to win? The Republican Party cannot take that chance, because that’s not where the America First Voters are. Voting for a Globalist RINO like Tom Emmer would be a tragic mistake!

So many unnecessary capital letters. But yet also words like “breadth” and “scope” that Donald Trump absolutely does not know. This is a man who   was cumming himself   yesterday because he believed he was the first human in history to notice that “U.S.” and “us” are spelled just the same. This is a man who calls the New York attorney general “Peekaboo” and Michael Cohen   theorizes that   it’s not racist but rather because Trump has the brain and vocabulary of a child.

This is a man who is   still bragging five years later   about the time (he says) he aced a dementia test.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @7    last year

What would it take to get Trump to stop making everything about him?  Money maybe. Lets take up a national collection in some sort of telethon to raise enough money to get him to shut the fuck up. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8  Drinker of the Wry    last year

Apparently many on the Repub side of the aisle really don’t want to govern.  It’s much more fun to just raise campaign money and provide sound bites to the media.  Legislating is too much work and it’s tediously boring.