╌>

Trump Ordered to Pay $10,000 in New Punishment for Breaking Gag Order

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  last year  •  10 comments

By:   Jonah E. Bromwich and Kate Christobek - NYT

Trump Ordered to Pay $10,000 in New Punishment for Breaking Gag Order

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Manhattan judge ordered Donald J. Trump to the witness stand Wednesday, creating the spectacle of a former president called to account, before finding that Mr. Trump had attacked a court clerk and fining him $10,000.

The judge, Arthur F. Engoron, who is presiding over Mr. Trump’s civil fraud trial, issued the punishment after finding that Mr. Trump earlier in the day had violated an order that prevents him from attacking court staff. Mr. Trump said that his comments had referred not to Justice Engoron’s law clerk, whom he had previously attacked, but to his own former lawyer, Michael D. Cohen, a witness.

From the stand, Mr. Trump, wearing a navy suit and limiting the duration of his usual monologues, said that while he had not been speaking about the clerk, Allison Greenfield, he thought she was “maybe unfair, and I think she’s very biased against me.”

Mr. Trump left the stand after about three minutes. Justice Engoron said that he had not found the former president credible and levied the fine.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    last year

A fool and the fool's money he grifted are soon parted.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     last year

LOL, Thunder Mouth seems to have met his match....NOT CREDIBLE, perfect.

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
3  TOM PA    last year

The judge gave him one month to pay.  Should have been 24 hours.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  TOM PA @3    last year

trump should have been jailed for contempt on his 2nd gag order violation and then made the rest of his appearances in an orange jumpsuit even after the check clears.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Krishna  replied to  devangelical @3.1    last year
trump should have been jailed for contempt on his 2nd gag order violation and then made the rest of his appearances in an orange jumpsuit even after the check clears.

I thought the same thing.

For starters that amount of money doesn't mean much to him because the odds are people in the cult of Trump (AKA MAGA Idiots) will cover it by sending him more than enough money to cover it.

What would have an impact? What you said-- jail him for contempt. Even one day overnight in a jail-- plus showing up in court in an orange jumpsuit  would make an impact.

(And in the unlikely event that doesn't stop him from violating the order-- increase the jail time each time he's in violation!_ 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  devangelical @3.1    last year
trump should have been jailed for contempt on his 2nd gag order violation

The fact that he wasn't is another example of the special treatment afforded to Trump.  It is way past time for Trump to be treated like everyone else.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @3.1.1    last year
showing up in court in an orange jumpsuit  would make an impact.

On whom? Him or his followers?

Because I really don't see that making any difference at all. I do see it getting his followers all lathered up and possibly turning violent

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
3.1.4  TOM PA  replied to  devangelical @3.1    last year

Wilhoit’s Law- Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect."  

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
4  afrayedknot    last year

It’s chump change to him…emphasis on chump.

The deeper issue and the one we should all, repeat all, be concerned with is his obvious inability to understand the consequences of one’s actions. His personal life is one example. His business life another. That his political life still carries water is inexplicable and inexcusable.

Saying more about his apologists than him as just another fractured celebrity…which just as predictably has become his only, lonely argument. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
5  devangelical    last year

I'm very much enjoying how trump is freaking out and losing his composure in a civil trial where it's just his fortune on the line. when he faces the future possibility of inhabiting a federal jail cell, I hope he acts the same way. his court room theatrics will be threadbare and hopefully the presiding judges will have acquired some "average citizen defendant" solutions by then to help the POS maintain court decorum. the aging process is noticeably showing on trump's face in the last 4 contentious years and we can assume that his physical health can't be doing much better.