╌>

Man dies after eating raw octopus that was still moving and got stuck in his throat

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  6 months ago  •  39 comments

By:   Charisa Bossinakis

Man dies after eating raw octopus that was still moving and got stuck in his throat
The 82 year old man, passed away choking on a piece of octopus, known as san-nakji, with its tentacles still moving in the southern city of Gwangju, as per the Korea Herald.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A man has died after choking on a live octopus - a delicacy in South Korea .

The 82 year old man, passed away choking on a piece of octopus , known as san-nakji, with its tentacles still moving in the southern city of Gwangju, as per the Korea Herald .

Emergency services arrived on the scene after they were called around 11.38 am.

They began resuscitating the man before he was transported to a local hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

According to Banned, san-nakji is served with sesame oil, sesame seeds and ginger.

Records show that the delicacy has been around since 57 BC.

Several incidents of people choking on san-nakji have been reported.

Three individuals have died of asphyxiation from eating live octopus between 2007 and 2012.

Another two deaths occurred in 2013, while another incident occurred in 2019 involving a man in his 70s.

For years, animal rights activist group PETA has urged for the practice of eating live animals - especially baby octopuses - to be prohibited in the US.

While eating live octopus isn't as common in the US as in South Korea, restaurants in California and New York are known to serve the exotic dish.

In 2016, PETA released an open letter along with a video of a chef severing the limbs of a live octopus at T Equals Fish, a Koreatown sushi restaurant in Los Angeles.

"T Equals Fish is just one of over a dozen restaurants in California and New York that mutilate and serve live octopuses and other animals. Restaurants “prepare” live shrimps by cutting their tails off and plating them right next to their moving bodies or by tearing off their protective exoskeletons so that diners can bite right into their flesh," they said in a statement.

They added that Lobsters’ tails are also torn off, prepared 'sashimi style', right next to their mutilated still-living bodies , for the 'amusement of patrons'.

The petition went onto to say that as these marine animals have an advanced nervous system, they feel extreme pain.

"Shrimps, lobsters, and other crustaceans fulfill all of the 'criteria' of pain sensation, including having a developed nervous system and exhibiting behaviors like wound-guarding and heightened protectiveness—just as a dog, pig, or primate would do," they continued.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    6 months ago

People are sick.  No sympathy here, the octopus got its revenge.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    6 months ago
People are sick.

Agreed. Anyone that would eat octopus to begin with has to be...............256

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.1  evilone  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1    6 months ago

I like a good calamari, but that's cooked and not octopus. I don't think I've ever tried it. It's said octopi are as intelligent as humans and if they lived as long could have had the potential to be the dominate species.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.2  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  evilone @1.1.1    6 months ago

I’ve seen Anthony Bourdain eat live things and it instantly took him a notch down for me.  I never held him in very high regard to begin with.  He always came across as overly full of himself.  Then he committed suicide over a girl’s rejection and proved me right.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.3  evilone  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.1.2    6 months ago

I'm not a huge fan, but Anthony Bourdain admitted to addiction and life long depression many times. He always struggled. That said he ate some weird shit in some weird places.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.4  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  evilone @1.1.3    6 months ago

I also read an interview where he dissed craft beer because he thinks all beer should taste the same and just be cold.  Dude.  No.

I’ve had depression, not severe but real, and I once was married to a girl who left me and our two kids for an underaged hippie to go follow the Grateful Dead.  I feel like if someone gave me the opportunity to travel the world for free, eat at all the best world renowned restaurants, and see more sights than just about every human on earth that it might have cured it.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.5  evilone  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.1.4    6 months ago
I also read an interview where he dissed craft beer because he thinks all beer should taste the same and just be cold.  Dude.  No.

I disagree with these 'experts' almost all the time. Craft beer is nectar from the gods! 

I have a disability rating for my depression. I was relived when I got divorced, but it was really, really hard to pick up a healthy stable relationship afterward. I did try to overdose once. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @1.1.5    6 months ago

There is a brewery in Norfork, Arkansas that we go to every time we go fishing. They make this beer called a Scurvy Dog. It has a hint of grapefruit in it and it is delicious. I'm not big into IPAs but I could drink this beer every day. But just one or two. Any more than that and I end up face down in a pizza box. Just ask Dev. Apparently my cat sent him a text with that photo

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.7  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.6    6 months ago

We have several local breweries of beer and cider and one distillery. One of the few perks of living up here.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.8  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1.1.7    6 months ago

I stopped drinking years ago. in downtown denver you can't walk 1000 feet without passing by a craft beer brewery. it's a restaurant phenom that's been going for 30+ years here. years ago when I used to drive part time for uber, I learned to avoid working anywhere near the annual great american brew fest. in fact, I would avoid working that weekend. the participants paid for a ticket that let them sample all the beers from hundreds of breweries in a session that lasted a few few hours and then they would be flushed out of the convention center onto the downtown streets for the next session of beer aficionados to attempt drowning themselves in barley pop. the mass exchange of the sober for drunken fools made traffic a shit show. just imagine the thousands of shit-faced partiers spilling out into the street and across the light rail tracks all at once.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.9  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.1.8    6 months ago

oops, I meant great american beer fest...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    6 months ago

if the food is still able to crawl off the plate, it probably left the kitchen a bit prematurely...

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.3  Krishna  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    6 months ago
the octopus got its revenge.

Sounds like a good name for a band (musical type): 

THE OCTOPUSE'S REVENGE

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.3.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.3    6 months ago
the octopus got its revenge.
Sounds like a good name for a band (musical type):  THE OCTOPUSE'S REVENGE

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.3.2  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.3.1    6 months ago
THE OCTOPUSE'S REVENGE

Not a bad name for a band, but IMO it needs a little more cowbell!

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.3.3  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.3.2    6 months ago
needs a little more cowbell!

Did someone mention Oysters?

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.3.4  shona1  replied to  Krishna @1.3.3    6 months ago

Arvo Krishna..yyyeessss!!! having them for tea..put some chopped up bacon on top with Worchester sauce and put them under the griller..😁

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    6 months ago

How can anyone want to eat a live animal? I like lobster and shrimp but I want them cooked and DEAD! Not wiggling on my plate.

Two thumbs up for the octopus

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    6 months ago
I like lobster and shrimp but I want them cooked and DEAD!

I don't even like sushi. I was watching TV last night and one of the characters asked the other how they like the sushi, they said it was fine, but if it were cooked and it was beef it would have been better. I turned to my wife and said, "I agree." 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  evilone @2.1    6 months ago

Me too. Wife loves it. I can't even look at it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @2.1    6 months ago

The last time I ate sushi I got sick so I don't touch it anymore

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.2    6 months ago

sorry, but snacking on a box of uncooked frozen fish sticks after drinking a few gallons of beer doesn't count as sushi...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    6 months ago

Same with raw oysters.  Who was the first person to open up an oyster shell and think “I should slurp down that thing that looks like a mixture of blood clot, scabs, and bird shit”.  I’ll eat them deep fried on a po boy when they are entirely unrecognizable.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2.1  evilone  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2    6 months ago
Same with raw oysters.

((shudder))

Who was the first person to open up an oyster shell and think “I should slurp down that thing that looks like a mixture of blood clot, scabs, and bird shit”. 

I've asked that question many times. All I can think of is they were starving and snot/shit seemed better than dying.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2.2  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  evilone @2.2.1    6 months ago

And ironically some people end up dead from eating a bad oyster in a nice restaurant.

I once ordered calamari at a restaurant and didn’t read the whole menu description.  It was uncooked and bathed in lime juice to kill any pathogens.  It had the flavor and texture of a large rubber band and went 99% uneaten.

However, I cannot resist a flame kissed ahi tuna.  Tuna tartare is a no go though.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2.3  evilone  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.2    6 months ago
I cannot resist a flame kissed ahi tuna.

I love to plank mahi mahi or ahi tuna on the grill. 6 minutes on each side.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.2.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2    6 months ago
I’ll eat them deep fried on a po boy when they are entirely unrecognizable.

I love grilled oysters.  I make a sauce with I love grilled oysters.  I make a sauce with cut butter, mashed roasted garlic and mix with parsley, lemon juice, Creole seasoning, and salt cooked over medium heat for about n5 min.

Put shucked oyster on the grill and add a little sauce and grated Romano cheese. About 6 min on the grill will do it.  Serve with lemon wedges and a cold Sazerac made with rye of course.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.2.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilone @2.2.3    6 months ago

I like planked fish as well but lately have tried a different technique.  Fillets cooked at high temp in a griddle on the grill with some alder wood chips and dried basil for smoke.

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.2.6  shona1  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.4    6 months ago

Crikey Drinker..that's a lot of stuffing around...I love them Kilpatrick..

Chopped up bacon throw on some Worcestershire sauce and put under the griller until bacon is crispy..

Done...burp..

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.2.7  shona1  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.2    6 months ago

Morning Hal... can't beat freshly caught squid..if it's tough means it is old and not fresh.

Fresh squid cut into rings, lightly put in beaten egg, coated in panko breadcrumbs and quickly fried in olive oil is great..

Can put lemon juice on it or aloli if you wish...my brother catches the squid here and it has to be a specific species as well...the stuff you by frozen etc is crap...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.2.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  shona1 @2.2.7    6 months ago

Shona, I just had dinner and you’re making me hungry.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.2.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  shona1 @2.2.6    6 months ago

Sounds good but I do love my charcoal grill.

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.2.10  shona1  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.8    6 months ago

I just had lunch and made myself hungry again...had oysters Kilpatrick the other night might have to go and get some more..😁

Can put the oysters on your grill/ bbq we do that here as well.. throw them on the hotplate, put the sauce on..then cook the chopped up bacon in a fry pan and then put on top while the oysters are still on the hot plate..😁😁

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.2.11  shona1  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.9    6 months ago

Arvo...here you go Drinker..tonight's tea..

King prawns (these are a bit small) scallop pie and will be oysters Kilpatrick..

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.3  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    6 months ago

Two thumbs up for the octopus

Most Octopuses I've eaten live have eight, not two!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3  Drinker of the Wry    6 months ago
It was uncooked and bathed in lime juice to kill any pathogens.

There are a number of dishes in the Mediterranean area, Central and South America and the Pacific rim have seafood dishes that “cook” the seafood with citric juices and or vinegar.  They make very tasty appetizers or main dish.

The marinade changes the protein similar to how heat changes it.  It doesn’t kill pathogens or parasites.  It just makes them taste better.

Pregnant woman or those with a compromised immune system can still enjoy however.  When I was on chemo, I made a shrimp ceviche and boiled the shrimp for 1 minute and then plunged into ice water bath to stop further cooking.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3    6 months ago

It doesn’t kill pathogens or parasites.

I’m glad I left 99% of it on the plate then.  I’ll stick to only eating raw seafood when I’m on a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean with no other options.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2  Krishna  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3    6 months ago

I think Lemon or Lime juice may also tenderize the protein. (Because they are Acid).

shona1
PhD Quiet
4  shona1    6 months ago

You soak calamari and octopus in milk over night... that's what we do here and makes it nice and tender..