╌>

Israel Agrees to U.S. Request to Delay Invasion of Gaza

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  37 comments

By:   Story by Dion Nissenbaum, Gordon Lubold, Dov Lieber, Omar Abdel-Baqui • 17h

Israel Agrees to U.S. Request to Delay Invasion of Gaza
U.S. troops have already come under rocket and drone attack from Iranian-backed militias in Iraq and Syria, and in the Red Sea, the USS Carney destroyer intercepted cruise missiles and drones the Pentagon said were launched by Yemeni Houthi forces, also backed by Iran. Hezbollah, too, is backed by Iran and has repeatedly exchanged deadly fire with Israel since Oct. 7.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Israel has agreed, for now, to a request from the U.S. to delay its expected ground invasion of Gaza so the Pentagon can place air defenses in the region to protect U.S. troops, according to U.S. officials and people familiar with the Israeli planning.

The Pentagon is rushing to deploy nearly a dozen air-defense systems to the region, including for U.S. troops serving in Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Syria and the United Arab Emirates, to protect American forces from missiles and rockets. U.S. officials have so far persuaded the Israelis to hold off on sending tanks and foot soldiers into Gaza to end Hamas rule until those pieces can be placed in the region, as early as later this week.

“Israel is going to move ahead with the next stage in our campaign to destroy Hamas in response to the Oct. 7 massacre, as our operational needs require,” Israeli government spokesman Eylon Levy said Wednesday.

But Levy said “many factors that are being taken into account,” including President Biden’s urging that Israel not act out of anger.

“Israel is not shooting from the hip,” Levy said. “We will use our force judiciously.”

This rapid buildup of U.S. military forces in the Middle East, meant to deter Hezbollah from further entering the fight and help protect American personnel and interests, risks drawing Washington into a larger regional conflict against Iranian proxies.

U.S. troops have already come under rocket and drone attack from Iranian-backed militias in Iraq and Syria, and in the Red Sea, the USS Carney destroyer intercepted cruise missiles and drones the Pentagon said were launched by Yemeni Houthi forces, also backed by Iran. Hezbollah, too, is backed by Iran and has repeatedly exchanged deadly fire with Israel since Oct. 7.

In addition to the U.S. posture, Israel is factoring into its planning calls for it to allow fuel and more humanitarian aid into Gaza, efforts to gather intelligence, a continuing airstrike campaign meant to hobble Hamas and diplomatic efforts to free more of the roughly 200 hostages held by Hamas, Israeli officials said.

Iran hasn’t openly detailed its relationships with its proxies in the region but has condemned the U.S.’s support for Israel. Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Wednesday the U.S. was “orchestrating” Israel’s bombing campaign in the Gaza Strip.

“The U.S. is definitely the Zionist regime’s accomplice in its crimes against #Gaza,” said Khamenei’s account on X, formerly Twitter.

The debate in Israel over when to send troops into Gaza is extremely fluid, officials said. In the past, Israeli officials sought to catch Hamas by surprise by telling reporters that they were holding off on an attack in Gaza and then launching surprise strikes. Israeli officials have agreed to the delay for now despite concerns that the longer they hold off on a ground invasion, the more prepared Hamas fighters will be inside Gaza, U.S. officials said.

U.S. officials have kept in close contact with their Israeli counterparts, offering military advice, sharing intelligence and advising on reducing civilian casualties. In a call on Wednesday, Biden and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu discussed efforts to locate and secure the release of hostages in Gaza, including American citizens, according to the White House.

“We are coordinating with the U.S. on a very strategic and very detailed level and we value this very much,” said an Israeli official.

Aside from military aid, the U.S. has also dispatched three generals to Israel with experience fighting groups such as Islamic State to advise the Israeli military, said the Israeli official. Israel is also consulting with the U.S. generals on “all the arenas” of the war and Israel’s enemies across the region, the official said.

The U.S. and its European allies have been advising Israel that a slower campaign against Hamas was the best course of action, to limit civilian casualties and develop a plan for what comes after a ground offensive in Gaza, U.S. and European officials said Wednesday.

But the threats to the U.S. troops are of a paramount concern, U.S. officials said. U.S. military and other officials believe that American forces will be at heightened risk by various Iran-backed militant forces once the invasion begins.

So far in Iraq and Syria, there have been at least 13 such attacks, using drones and missiles, which have resulted in the death of one American contractor and the destruction of an American drone, U.S. officials said. Existing American defenses at those locations have been successful in averting more serious attacks. On Wednesday, the Pentagon said at least 21 troops suffered minor injuries in two attacks on U.S. bases in Iraq and Syria.

The crash U.S. military buildup, which includes the USS Gerald R. Ford and USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carriers and their accompanying warships, a Terminal High Altitude Altitude Area Defense (Thaad) system and nearly a dozen Patriot missile batteries. When both carriers arrive, the U.S. will have equivalent to 11 jet fighter squadrons in the region, including F-15s, F-16s, F/A-18s, and A-10 attack jets, all moved to the region since earlier in the year.

The surge amounts to the doubling of squadrons in the last two weeks, and is a sharp reversal of U.S. disengagement from the region in recent years. It returns to the region many of the military assets taken out as the Pentagon shifted its focus to China and brought troops and equipment home from the Middle East.

The deployments underscore U.S. alarm that Israel’s planned ground operation into Gaza could spark a wider war, leading Iranian-backed militias across the region and even Iran itself to step up drone and missile attacks on U.S. bases, embassies and oil facilities or other key infrastructure.

“It’s a dramatic plus-up in force posture after we have made a concerted effort to trim our presence in the region,” said Grant Rumley, a fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, a think tank, and a former Pentagon official. “If you ask the Pentagon, this is a textbook example of how they want the military to be able to react quickly to a crisis.”

Israeli forces battled on four fronts Wednesday, hitting targets in Lebanon, Syria, the West Bank and Gaza and fighting off a sea incursion, in a new sign the war with Hamas was slowly expanding to Iran-backed forces around the region.

Meanwhile, the humanitarian crisis in Gaza continued to mount, as Israel has prevented any fuel from entering the enclave since Oct. 7. The United Nations agency that oversees refugees in Gaza said it would significantly reduce and in some cases halt humanitarian operations if it doesn’t receive more fuel. The U.N. Relief and Works Agency is housing more than 600,000 displaced people in Gaza at 150 shelters, it said. With fuel supplies dwindling, “the coming 24 hours are very critical,” it said in an update.

Israel has been careful about blaming Iran for the Oct. 7 attacks but on Wednesday, Israeli military spokesman Daniel Hagari said Iran had provided support and training to Hamas before and after the assault that killed at least 1,400 people and is now directing the actions of militias it backs in Iraq, Yemen, Lebanon and elsewhere.

“The orders come from one place—Iran,” Hagari said.

He said Iran had helped Hamas before the war with money, training and weapons and technological know-how. “Now Iran is helping Hamas with intelligence,” Hagari said.

In the West Bank, 104 Palestinians have been killed since Oct. 7 in confrontations with the Israeli military and settlers, according to the Palestinian Authority’s official information agency. More than 6,500 Palestinians, including 2,700 children, have been killed in Gaza since the war began, according to the Hamas-led Health Ministry. The figures couldn’t be independently verified.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organization said six hospitals in Gaza have shut down because they lack fuel, in addition to those that have closed because of damage or airstrikes. Several other hospitals have ceased critical services because of the fuel shortage and blockade.

The warning came amid growing international pressure for Israel to do more to protect civilians in Gaza ahead of a possible ground invasion in response to the Hamas attacks of Oct. 7.

Israeli officials asserted on Tuesday that there were large amounts of fuel under Hamas’s control in Gaza, and that additional fuel could be taken by the group’s military wing rather than being used for trucks carrying aid and to generate electricity at hospitals.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

So, the obvious is now official. The Biden administration is behind Israel still waiting to launch their offensive.

We are also finally getting the reports on attacks by Iranian proxies on US bases.  Reports that were initially withheld.

Today at a DOD press conference it was Fox News National Security reporter Jennifer Griffin who asked the only relevant question. When Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder told of US military injuries and said we will hold them accountable, Griffin asked "How are you holding them accountable?"

She got a non-answer.

Joe Biden warned Iran with "Don't." Iran did. The ball is sitting in Biden's court.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

My own analysis of the situation (& I could be wrong): I’m not a big fan of Iran and in fact not only do their current rulers brutally repress human rights of their own citizens but they consistently stir up trouble in several parts of the world. 

That being said, it seems to me that they actually do not want to start a major war with Israel (and the U.S!) at this time. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Krishna @1.1    last year
My own analysis of the situation (& I could be wrong): I’m not a big fan of Iran and in fact not only do their current rulers brutally repress human rights of their own citizens but they consistently stir up trouble in several parts of the world.

You mean the crew that says "Death to America" and "Death to Israel?" I guess that would be an understatement.

hat being said, it seems to me that they actually do not want to start a major war with Israel (and the U.S!) at this time. 

To me it seems that they have little fear of a response from the US. Biden keeps saying "Don't" and they keep hitting American bases. As I recall I believe Adolf Hitler was once asked what he thought of Neville Chamberlain's peace proposals. I'm paraphrasing, but I think he said I'd like to take that umbrella of his and beat him to death with it. I hate cowards even though they benefit my plans.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    last year
Neville Chamberlain's peace proposals

Obviously, you support total victory for Ukraine in the face of Russia's savage invasion and support fully funding the Ukrainians' fight to maintain their freedom.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.2    last year

Total victory for Ukraine means defeating Russia. Taking and holding Russian territory.

The question is: Do you believe in that?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.3    last year

I believe in Ukraine defeating Russia and re-taking all of its territory occupied by the Russians, including all of the eastern provinces and Crimea.

What "Russian" territory are you referring to?  The territory of Ukraine annexed and claimed by Russia or something else?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.4    last year
What "Russian" territory are you referring to?

I can't improve on the English language: RUSSIAN TERRITORY/ THAT WHICH WAS NEVER PART OF UKRAINE.

The territory of Ukraine annexed and claimed by Russia or something else?

Taking back what is theirs is great, but that won't defeat Russia. Victory involves taking enemy territory.  That is why victory was impossible during the Vietnam War.  

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.2  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

Interesting that the right wingers (at least some of them) aren't interested in protecting American troops.  No surprise, really.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gsquared @1.2    last year

Are you referring to the thing about "placing air defenses?"  

Right wingers want a response. What are those Carrier Strike Forces there for?   I'd say it's the man who ran out of Afghanistan with 13 soldiers killed needlessly that isn't interested in protecting American troops.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    last year
What are those Carrier Strike Forces there for? 

What do you think they are there for?

I'd say it's the man who ran out of Afghanistan with 13 soldiers killed needlessly that isn't interested in protecting American troops.

I'd say you are completely wrong.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gsquared @1.2.2    last year
What do you think they are there for?

For doing what they finally did yesterday. Now I suppose you'll agree to the strikes.

I'd say you are completely wrong.

Everything points to me being right.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    last year

The Biden administration is behind Israel still waiting to launch their offensive.

Not great. This is their war for survival and should be fought on their terms, not dictated by Joe Biden's political needs. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    last year
not dictated by Joe Biden's political needs. 

Nor a terrible policy from the past...

OIP.Wg_nKPbMde4aWE4q2FdEJQHaFD?w=264&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.7

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2  Krishna  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    last year

What makes you think are spineless sycophants and will bow 100% to what Biden wants? 
(Or perhaps more accurately “to what YOU believe Biden wants?)

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Krishna @2.2    last year
kes you think are spineless sycophants and will bow 100% to what Biden wants? 

The reporting. Are you not paying attention? 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Gsquared  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.1    last year

Give us a break.  Since when do you believe anything reported in the media?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gsquared @2.2.2    last year
  Since when do you believe anything reported in the

Please project elsewhere. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Gsquared @2.2.2    last year
Since when do you believe anything reported in the media?

He believes it when he can twist it to mean what he wants it to mean.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Gsquared  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.4    last year

Of course.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     last year

Biden requested that Israel hold off so the US could get additional air defense systems to our bases in the ME, which seems that anyone with half a brain could be thankful for. Additionally, the US has/is sending experts in tunnel warfare which the US has extensive experience with.

When Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder told of US military injuries and said we will hold them accountable, Griffin asked "How are you holding them accountable?"

Well, he could have answered that we will hold them accountable. We could have done what we did when the US killed Soleimani, lie about it, ''nothing serious, just some headaches'' per the US which was totally false.

If you think this is the first time that US troops have been attacked, you're behind on the news. The US killed Solomani in 2020 and in return Iran, not one of their proxies fired two dozen ballistic missiles at a US in Iraq, resulting in over 100 injuries to US Army personnel.

Joe Biden warned Iran with "Don't." Iran did. The ball is sitting in Biden's court.

Yes it is, and as the old saying goes, ''vengence is best served cold''....It was Iran's proxies that fired the rockets, and in the diplomatic world of today that is important.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @3    last year
Well, he could have answered that we will hold them accountable. We could have done what we did when the US killed Soleimani, lie about it, ''nothing serious, just some headaches'' per the US which was totally false.

You mean when Trump warned Iran that the US is "targeting" 52 Iranian sites and will strike "very fast and very hard" if Tehran attacks Americans or US assets.

The Washington Post agrees: that should be Biden's policy as well:

Opinion | Biden must enforce Trump’s red line on Iran - The Washington Post

Yes it is, and as the old saying goes, ''vengence is best served cold''.

I'll believe it when I see it. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    last year
The Washington Post agrees:

Marc Thiessen, an opinion columnist and former GW Bush speechwriter, at WaPo agrees.

Do try to get something correct on occasion. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @3.1.1    last year
Marc Thiessen

I'd say most people want that red line back.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    last year
You mean when Trump warned Iran that the US is "targeting" 52 Iranian sites and will strike "very fast and very hard" if Tehran attacks Americans or US assets.

You seem to be reading from a playbook that doesn't exist. Iran launched around two dozen ballistic missiles at two US bases in Iraq. Over 100 US servicemen and women were injured. We did nothing, and the killing of Soleimani was done before the retaliation strike (s) by Iran.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @3.1.3    last year

I'm reading from the playbook of a strong leader. You have (you being the ideology responsible for Biden) two wars going on with a very possible third on the way.

Your leader is failing.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.5  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.4    last year
I'm reading from the playbook of a strong leader.

Putin's losing, pick another.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.4    last year
I'm reading from the playbook of a strong leader.

If you are then I suggest that you read it correctly, Trump DID NOT retaliate against Iran when they attacked US troops with ballistic missiles. That is a fact and no amount of BS will disprove it.

Your leader is failing.

My leader happens to be your leader as well as much as that is distasteful for you. You may want to ask the Israelis how he is failing them, and actually get some accurate facts instead of spouting off BS.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @3.1.6    last year

Once again you are down to proclaiming "Bullshit."  Unfortunately for you Kavika, the events in the middle east will continue to play out and as they do, your leader, not mine, will continue to try to restrain Israel as well as US forces. He will continue to say "Don't" with absolutely nothing behind it. It is going to be a miracle if China doesn't move on Taiwan before this horrific presidential term ends.

Have a good night.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.7    last year
Once again you are down to proclaiming "Bullshit."

Because that's what it is...Post the retaliatory strikes on Iran by Trump.

He isn't restraining Israel, in the minds of anyone that actually attempts to find the facts. Try reading articles and facts from some place other than Fox.

He will continue to say "Don't" with absolutely nothing behind it. 

It's great that you have the capability to read the future. I wonder why he has sent two Carrier Groups to the East Med. Dozens of F-15s, F-16, and F-35 to the Mideast and of course additional armored vehicles, Ammo, and missiles to Israel.

Have a good night.

I always do. You should up your game it really is pretty lame when it comes to facts.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @3.1.8    last year
st the retaliatory strikes on Iran by Trump.

Good point. Totally the same situation. Iran fired missiles in 2020 after Trump killed the head of their terrorist force.  In 2023 Iran fired missiles for no justifiable reason. No difference there. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.10  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @3.1.8    last year

Last night I got what I wanted. Biden finally had to confront Iran's proxies.

I suppose now you'll be in favor of retaliatory strikes.

I rest my case.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4  Hallux    last year

Unless one is unhinged enough to be tossing squirrels in the hope of being able to blame Biden for american hostages being drawn and quartered, It might be wise to allow Qatar the room to play at being the go-between, something they have a fairly good record at doing.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @4    last year

Very few are willing to play the Hamas hostage game of: "just give us a little more time and we may release another couple of hostages in a week or so and in the meantime if Israel invades there will be no deals on the hostages."  Only a senile old progressive proxy gets to play.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    last year

You do seem to harbour the hots for Pyrrhic victories. Disappointing.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @4.1.1    last year
You do seem to harbour the hots for Pyrrhic victories.

As your mentor once said: "Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say and not giving a damn."

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.2    last year
"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say and not giving a damn."

On my list of mentors, both Gore Vidal and you are absent. Start with an Arundhati Roy and work your way upward and outward.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @4.1.3    last year
Arundhati Roy

To each his own.