╌>

Jamaal Bowman pleads guilty in DC court arraignment on charges for pulling fire alarm

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  last year  •  28 comments

Jamaal Bowman pleads guilty in DC court arraignment on charges for pulling fire alarm
Bowman pulled the fire alarm before a crucial government funding vot

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

"Squad" Democrat   Rep. Jamaal Bowman   of New York pleaded guilty in D.C. Superior Court on charges that he illegally pulled a House office building fire alarm.

D.C. Assistant Attorney General Peter Saba criminally charged Bowman with a misdemeanor for causing a   false fire alarm   in the Cannon House Office Building ahead of a Sept. 30 vote.

Bowman, 47, turned himself in on Thursday morning ahead of his arraignment, wearing a navy suit, striped shirt and blue tie and carrying a gray backpack. He pleaded guilty to causing the false alarm.

The New York Democrat told reporters ahead of the arraignment that he is "taking responsibility" for causing the false alarm and that "Hell no" he didn't mean to pull the alarm.

"What I did was against D.C. law," Bowman said. "As I said from the very beginning, I was not trying to disrupt any congressional proceedings, I'm glad the investigation yielded that."

Bowman pulled the fire alarm ahead of a crucial vote as the GOP pushed a critical stopgap funding bill to avoid a government shutdown.

Bowman got a plea deal: Write a letter of apology to the U.S. Capitol Police and pay a $1,000 fine.

D.C. Superior Court Judge Dorsey Jones told Bowman that he could face six months in prison and a $1,000 fine if he does not write the letter of apology.

Bowman's office told Fox News Digital that the congressman's deal with the D.C. attorney general would see the charges withdrawn if he writes the letter and pays the fine.

"I’m thankful for the quick resolution from the District of Columbia Attorney General’s office on this issue and grateful that the United States Capitol Police General Counsel’s office agreed I did not obstruct nor intend to obstruct any House vote or proceedings," Bowman told Fox News Digital. "I am responsible for activating a fire alarm, I will be paying the fine issued, and look forward to these charges being ultimately dropped."

"I think we all know that Republicans will attempt to use this to distract everyone from their mess, but I look forward to putting this behind me and to continue working hard to deliver for New Yorkers," he continued.

Bowman will have a review hearing on Jan. 29, 2024 at 9:30 a.m.

Bowman   said Wednesday   that he was "thankful for the quick resolution" with law enforcement. The D.C. attorney general's office   told the press   on Wednesday that Bowman would be "pleading guilty and has agreed to pay the maximum f

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    last year

As the video shows, Bowman did it intentionally.  He then lied and continues to lie about it.  Lucky for him he's a Democrat, or he'd be facing the next decade in jail. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    last year

Right, can you imagine the meltdown on the left if someone like Bobert had done this.

Our friends on the left would be going apeshit.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @1.1    last year

A sane party would expel him from Congress, but that will never happen.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.1    last year

The double standard at play here is extreme to say the least 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.2    last year

He should have been charged with a felony for violating 18 U.S.C. § 1505, not to mention insurrection for interfering with a function of Congress.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.3    last year

So when questioned about the tape proving he was lying, Bowman say's he won't talk about the past.. And doubtless his party and friendly MSM will take the same line. We've seen it before. A Democrat tells a preposterous lie to avoid trouble, the media accepts it at face value, and when  the lie is proven, its ignored and "time to move on."

Now they can get back to obsessing  over  the plumber from Duluth who was charged with felonies for  stepping  foot in the Capitol three years ago. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Krishna  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.3    11 months ago
He should have been charged with a felony for violating 18 U.S.C. § 1505, not to mention insurrection for interfering with a function of Congress.

People are saying that he deserves nothing short of the Death  Penalty!  

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
1.2  JumpDrive  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    last year
As the video shows, Bowman did it intentionally.

So much theatrical pearl clutching! Of course Bowman pulled the fire alarm intentionally. Republicans gave the Democrats no time to examine the bill. Dems should have had 3 days, but no, they were just supposed to sign 2,200 pages sight unseen. Bowman's act gave them a couple hours to divide it up among their staff. You guys would be celebrating his guts if the situation was reversed.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  JumpDrive @1.2    last year

So why did Bowman blatantly lie again?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JumpDrive @1.2    last year
Of course Bowman pulled the fire alarm intentionally

Brave of you to admit it now that video now makes continued lying about it impossible. Where have you been for the last month as he and his party lied about it?

epublicans gave the Democrats no time to examine the bill.

Oh. So that gives someone the right to commit  a felony to stop a congressional proceeding. Can you point that exception out to me in the statute?

wman's act gave them a couple hours to divide it up among their staff. 

Kudos on the evolution of the talking   point. It's gone from "why would he do it on purpose, he wanted the bill to pass.  he was just confused" to "Of course he committed a felony to stop a congressional vote, he's a hero!"

d be celebrating his guts if the situation was reversed.

If the situation were reversed, the Biden DOJ would have charged him with multiple felonies and he'd be spending the next decade in jail.

George
Junior Expert
1.2.3  George  replied to  JumpDrive @1.2    last year
they were just supposed to sign 2,200 pages sight unseen. Bowman's act gave them a couple hours to divide it up among their staff.

[ Deleted ] do you have a copy of that 2200 page bill, or are you just posting complete bullshit hoping nobody calls you out on it?

BILLS-118hr5860cph.pdf (congress.gov)

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
1.2.4  JumpDrive  replied to  George @1.2.3    last year

Oops, I remembered incorrectly. That one was only 71 pages that they were supposed to sign sight unseen.

George
Junior Expert
1.2.5  George  replied to  JumpDrive @1.2.4    last year

So all 209 democrat congress members except this one could figure out how to read it? Even the excuses we get for why he pulled it are lies.

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
1.2.6  JumpDrive  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2.2    last year
Brave...

All your fussing is funny to me given Republican criminality over the last 60 years. (In presidential administrations 140+ indictments, 85+ convictions, 40+ prison sentences vs 4/2/2 for Dems.) I always thought that was why he did it, otherwise it made no sense; it's not like he has a history of randomly pulling fire alarms.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  JumpDrive @1.2.6    11 months ago

But you have no explanation for why Bowman blatantly lied or why other Democrats bought his obvious, stupid LIE?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Sean Treacy    last year

Here's the video, showing him removing the warning sign on the door before pressing the fire  alarm and not even trying to open the door.  

I'm sure all our progressive friends who believed his lie and repeated it will be outraged for being made to look like fools. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    11 months ago
I'm sure all our progressive friends who believed his lie and repeated it will be outraged for being made to look like fools. 

Then, I fear you would be wrong.

Most will simply ignore it and claim what we all see isn't what really happened.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Sean Treacy    last year

Donald Trump was charged by Jack Smith with obstructing an official proceeding for giving a speech prior to the events at the Capitol. Jamaal Bowman pulled a fire alarm with the intent of actually obstructing an official proceeding. As we're about to find out, Biden's DOJ does in fact have different rules for Democrats and Republicans.

Not to mention he lied to police if he told them what he told his useful idiots to parrot in the media, another felony.

George
Junior Expert
3.1  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    last year
Biden's DOJ does in fact have different rules for Democrats and Republicans.

I'm not sure that's it, 

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
3.2  JumpDrive  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    last year
Donald Trump was charged by Jack Smith with obstructing an official proceeding for giving a speech prior to the events at the Capitol.

Describing what Trump did in this way is like describing a hurricane as some moisture.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    11 months ago

We can gauge how out of whack right wing judgments and priorities are by the fact that they think that someone pulling a fire alarm one time is the absolute equivalent ,or worse, than a mob creating a riot inside the capitol building, not to mention the purpose of the riot was to help with the overthrow the 2020 election. These are not serious people. They think they are serious but they are not. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4    11 months ago

We can also judge all those folks obsessed with lying completely ignoring when a Democrat lies blatantly as Bowman did.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    11 months ago

At his pace, in about 1000 years he will have lied as much as your hero . Get back to me then. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.1    11 months ago

So it isn't the LIES themselves, but the VOLUME of them??????

SMH

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.2    11 months ago

It is telling how they are so willing to ignore not only the lies themselves but the volume of the current Liar in Chief they blindly support.  The hypocrisy is glaring.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
4.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    11 months ago

We can also judge all those folks obsessed with lying completely ignoring when a Democrat lies blatantly as Bowman did.

Which politicians don't lie? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.4    11 months ago

As many people have said, they all lie.

It is just upsetting to some folks if certain ones lie.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4    11 months ago
right wing judgments and priorities are by the fact that they think that someone pulling a fire alarm one time is the absolute equivalent ,or worse, than a mob creating a riot inside the capitol building, not to mention the purpose of the riot was to help with the overthrow the 2020 election.

I'm not surprised you'd downplay a democrat comitting a felony to interfere with a Congressional proceeding.  More double standards.