╌>

U.S. launches strikes on Iranian-linked targets in Syria in retaliation for drone attacks on U.S. military bases

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  18 comments

By:   Courtney Kube and Mosheh Gains

U.S. launches strikes on Iranian-linked targets in Syria in retaliation for drone attacks on U.S. military bases
The U.S. launched strikes on targets in Syria on Thursday in retaliation for drone attacks on U.S. military bases in the region, said Defense Secretary Austin.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The U.S. launched strikes on Iranian-linked targets in Syria on Thursday in retaliation for a series of drone attacks on American military bases in the region, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said.

"Today, at President Biden's direction," Austin said, "U.S. military forces conducted self-defense strikes on two facilities in eastern Syria used by Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and affiliated groups. These precision self-defense strikes are a response to a series of ongoing and mostly unsuccessful attacks against U.S. personnel in Iraq and Syria by Iranian-backed militia groups that began on October 17."

The U.S. military action comes amid rising tensions in the region over the conflict in Israel. Austin called the attacks "separate and distinct from the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas" and said they don't represent a shift in the U.S. approach to the conflict.

From Oct. 17 to Tuesday, U.S. and coalition forces were attacked at least 10 separate times in Iraq and three times in Syria by a mix of drones and rockets, the Defense Department has said. On Oct. 18, at least two one-way attack drones targeted al-Tanf military base in southern Syria, U.S. Central Command said. On the same day, there were two separate drone attacks against U.S. and coalition forces stationed at al-Asad base in western Iraq.

Austin said, "As a result of these attacks, one U.S. citizen contractor died from a cardiac incident while sheltering in place; 21 U.S. personnel suffered from minor injuries." All those injured have since returned to duty, he said.

"The President has no higher priority than the safety of U.S. personnel," Austin said, "and he directed today's action to make clear that the United States will not tolerate such attacks and will defend itself, its personnel, and its interests."

He said: "The United States does not seek conflict and has no intention nor desire to engage in further hostilities, but these Iranian-backed attacks against U.S. forces are unacceptable and must stop. Iran wants to hide its hand and deny its role in these attacks against our forces. We will not let them."

Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder, the Pentagon press secretary, said Tuesday the groups conducting the attacks are supported by Iran and its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

"We always reserve the right to defend ourselves, and we will never hesitate to take action when needed to protect our forces and our interests overseas," he added.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  Hallux    last year

How this plays in the public sphere could prove interesting. The current administration has been playing beneath the clouds of damned if you do and damned if you don't since its inception. It is only Friday but I expect the Monday morning generals will shower sites from A to 'X' with their 'expertise'.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1  Krishna  replied to  Hallux @1    last year
It is only Friday but I expect the Monday morning generals will shower sites from A to 'X' with their 'expertise'.

Yes! And here it is Friday and the Monday Morning Generals on social media are showering the media with their expertise!

(So many experts...so little time!)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    last year

Finally, a response. 

And finally, being able to say Iran.  It had to happen, or US bases would have continued to be attacked.

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    last year

You may want to add Russia to Iran, Putin has been 'entertaining' Hamas of late:

" A delegation from Hamas visited Moscow on Thursday for talks on the release of foreign hostages including Russian citizens that the militant group is currently holding in Gaza, TASS reported. Senior Hamas member Abu Marzouk was among those attending the talks, said the TASS. Israel has reacted angrily to the development and has called on the government of President Vladimir Putin to expel Hamas members. The Hamas group meanwhile has lauded Putin and his administration for their efforts to end the war."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @2.1    last year
You may want to add Russia to Iran

As soon as Russia attacks US troops I wil.

In the meantime, I intend to call out those who only a day ago were asking what I wanted Biden to do. I told them STRIKE BACK. Now that he has, I expect them to defend him for doing what I wanted as well.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.1    last year

So...  Joe Biden did exactly what you wanted?  Sounds good to me too.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.2    last year
So...  Joe Biden did exactly what you wanted?

You aren't getting it. He was defended by members here for not striking back. Now you want to say Vic is right because somebody finally told Biden that the Iranians were going to keep shelling US bases unless he confronted them.

Ok I'll take the compliment.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.4  SteevieGee  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.3    last year

I never defended him for not striking back and he did exactly what you wanted him to do...  And you still can't say it.

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Hallux  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.4    last year

Nor did I, how about we chip in for an ego bum sticker?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.6  SteevieGee  replied to  Hallux @2.1.5    last year

ego bum?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.1    last year
As soon as Russia attacks US troops I wil.

Well at least you don't have a big Ego!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.8  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.3    last year
He was defended by members here for not striking back.

I'm sure he was tremendously happy about being supported by "members here". (Unfortunately most of the rest of the world is not fully aware of just how important we are! jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg )

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.9  Krishna  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.4    last year

Are we discussing world events here, and  Putin and Biden and Hamas-- or are we discussing each other (NT members?)

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3  Nerm_L    last year

Here we go, folks!  Biden has breathed new life into an old quagmire.  We're even reading about the 32nd MAU being bombed when Ronnie Raygun was the Big Guy.

Keep an eye on Erdogan.  Turkey is a player in both the war in Ukraine and the War in Gaza.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Nerm_L @3    last year

There was no avoiding it. Iran sensed weakness and they were determined to confront the US. Biden was called and he finally played one of his cards.

It is about time.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2  Krishna  replied to  Nerm_L @3    last year

Just how (in your opinion) is Turkey such an important “player” in the war against terrorism in Gaza?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.2.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Krishna @3.2    last year
Just how (in your opinion) is Turkey such an important “player” in the war against terrorism in Gaza?

Erdogan is a facilitator who plays both sides to the middle.  Turkey stirs the pot by assisting all sides.  At present, Turkey is supporting Palestinians in Gaza.  But that can change overnight.  It's in Turkey's interest to prolong conflicts.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.3  Krishna  replied to  Nerm_L @3    last year
Keep an eye on Erdogan

I'd rather not....