╌>

Former Baltimore prosecutor Marilyn Mosby found guilty on 2 counts of perjury

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  8 months ago  •  15 comments

By:   Adam Sabes (Fox News)

Former Baltimore prosecutor Marilyn Mosby found guilty on 2 counts of perjury
Former Baltimore City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby was found guilty of two counts of perjury Thursday, after she falsely claimed financial hardship during the pandemic to pull from her retirement account.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Former Baltimore City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby has been convicted on two counts of perjury by a federal jury.

The federal jury reached the verdict Thursday, finding Mosby guilty of perjury after she falsely claimed financial hardship during the COVID-19 pandemic in order to withdraw money from the city's retirement fund, prosecutors announced.

"We respect the jury's verdict and remain steadfastly committed to our mission to uphold the rule of law, keep our country safe, protect the civil rights of all Americans, and safeguard public property," U.S. Attorney Erek L. Barron said.

Mosby faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison for each of the two perjury counts. U.S. District Judge Lydia K. Griggsby hasn't scheduled a sentencing hearing.

Mosby initially pleaded not guilty to the charges, which allege that the former prosecutor falsely claimed financial hardship during the pandemic in order to withdraw $90,000 from her city retirement accounts. She then used those funds for down payments on two vacation properties in Florida, prosecutors said.

Mosby lost a re-election bid in July 2022 to defense attorney Ivan Bates.

Mosby received her full salary of $247,955.58 in 2020, which is the year she claimed financial hardship and withdrew the money from her retirement accounts, according to federal prosecutors.

The trial was delayed in February after Mosby's entire defense team quit.

As she walked out of a federal courthouse in Greenbelt, Maryland, following the verdict, Mosby said, "I'm blessed," according to FOX 45.

Mosby also faces two counts of making false mortgage applications in a pending federal case, which relates to the purchase of two Florida vacation homes. A trial date hasn't yet been set in that federal case.

If convicted of making false mortgage applications, Mosby faces a maximum prison sentence of 30 years for each of the two counts.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    8 months ago

Her Rise and Fall.

She was once the darling of the far left when she charged six police officers in the death of Freddie Gray in a very controversial case, which was incredibly partisan. I guess when one gets used to breaking/using the law for ideological reasons, one also leaves themselves open to prosecution.

In her case the conviction is justice served.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    8 months ago
She was once the darling of the far left

This is a good one but my favorite fall for a far left darling is still Michael Avenatti.  Makes me chuckle every time I think about it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1    8 months ago

Oh ya, they were going to make him a presidential candidate.

Thomas
Senior Guide
2  Thomas    8 months ago
Mosby also faces two counts of making false mortgage applications in a pending federal case, which relates to the purchase of two Florida vacation homes. A trial date hasn't yet been set in that federal case. If convicted of making false mortgage applications, Mosby faces a maximum prison sentence of 30 years for each of the two counts.

What? She lied on an application? How dare she... 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  JBB  replied to  Thomas @2    8 months ago

Yes, irony is so sweet it makes your teeth hurt...

So, some have no sense of irony, or proportion!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @2.1    8 months ago
Yes, irony is so sweet

As when Robespierre faced the Guillotine.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.2  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.1    8 months ago

original original original yet, back here in reality, Old Joe McCarthy's main henchman Roy Cohn (The Worst Person in the World) had four special butt boy protégés. They were Lee Atwater, Paul Manafort, Roger Stone and Donald Trump!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @2.1.2    8 months ago

You forgot to add that Cohn might have been one of the finest lawyers of the 20th century, despite his evil side.

I bring out the worst in my enemies and that's how I get them to defeat themselves.....Roy Cohn

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.4  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.3    8 months ago

Ah yes, The Original "Enemies List":..

Didn't Atwater help Nixon write his?

Trump pardoned Stone & Manafort!

Know him by the company he keeps.

original

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @2.1.4    8 months ago

That's real bad photo editing.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Thomas @2    8 months ago

If it's good for Trump it's good for her.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Thomas @2    8 months ago
What? She lied on an application? How dare she...

Sounds like three. One, against the retirement fund (state) and two mortgages. Blatant lies. She in no way was facing hardship during Covid if you read the story.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.3.1  evilone  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.3    8 months ago
She in no way was facing hardship during Covid if you read the story.

And she'll go to prison for it too. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @2.3.1    8 months ago

You think so?

evilone
Professor Guide
2.3.3  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.3.2    8 months ago
You think so?

I do. If it was only perjury, probably not, but with the 2 fraud charges yet to be tried she'll do some time.