╌>

Nikki Haley is consolidating the 2024 'Never Trump' vote - POLITICO

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  evilone  •  11 months ago  •  139 comments

By:   POLITICO

Nikki Haley is consolidating the 2024 'Never Trump' vote  - POLITICO
The former South Carolina governor is drawing support from Trump-skeptical donors and activists in early nominating states.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Elections

Nikki Haley is consolidating the 'Never Trump' vote

The former South Carolina governor is drawing support from Trump-skeptical donors and activists in early nominating states.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2Fd4%2F4a%2Fe56608d44099a8a2cc906dfce0c3%2Felection-2024-haley-02330.jpg

Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley speaks during a town hall on Nov. 17, 2023, in Ankeny, Iowa. | Charlie Neibergall/AP

Two years after Nikki Haley vowed not to challenge Donald Trump for the presidential nomination, the former South Carolina governor who served in his administration and once called him a "friend" is becoming the standard-bearer of the movement to knock him out.

In recent weeks, Haley has drawn a surge in support from Trump-skeptical Republicans across the GOP, including donors and organizers in early voting states. A group of former Tim Scott donors is preparing to host a fundraiser for her in Manhattan. Haley's campaign events in New Hampshire this week required overflow rooms. And in Iowa — where Haley has steeper competition from Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis — some conservatives are busy corralling support for her.

"Nikki Haley is certainly locking up a lot of the Never Trumpers," said Matthew Bartlett, a Republican operative who has worked on several presidential campaigns and is unaffiliated this cycle. "She also has real room to grow."

Donors getting ready to host Haley in New York on Dec. 4 include two people close to Paul Singer, the hedge fund billionaire who has been critical of Trump. Greg Wendt, a former Scott supporter who has donated to moderate, anti-Trump Republicans such as John Kasich and John McCain, is now expressing interest in Haley, according to a New York City-based Republican fundraiser granted anonymity to speak freely about private conversations. And Doug Gross, a Republican operative who was the Iowa GOP nominee for governor in 2002, told POLITICO he plans to caucus for Haley after surveying the field for months in search of an alternative to Trump.

"Never Trumpers and 'Anybody but Trumpers' are really consolidating around her from a financial standpoint," said Gross, who was chief of staff to former Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad.

Haley is benefiting from this recent surge of support. She is now polling ahead of DeSantis in New Hampshire, the first primary state, and in her home state of South Carolina. One recent survey showed her running neck and neck with DeSantis in Iowa.

"I was kind of vacillating between three or four different people," said Carmine Boal, a former state lawmaker from Iowa who said she's supporting Haley because she thinks she is the most likely candidate to topple Trump. "The only thing I knew was I would not support him in the caucuses. … I think [Haley] will do well with the independents, particularly suburban women. And everyone knows elections are won or lost by the independent vote."

Alyssa Farah Griffin, a co-host of "The View" and former Trump White House aide who has been critical of the former president's candidacy, described Haley on Tuesday as "hands down the best option to beat Trump."

Still, Haley is running far behind the former president. And in a party he continues to dominate, consolidating the anti-Trump vote is likely to get Haley only so far. In a still-crowded primary, Haley is in some ways the latest manifestation of the challenge confronting all of them: Run hard against Trump, and turn off those who stick by his side. Support him and lose those desperate for a different choice next year.

"It's a lot of the old-school Republicans who did not like Trump, but voted for him the first time with their fingers crossed, and then refused to vote for him a second time," Sarah Longwell, an anti-Trump Republican who routinely conducts focus groups of GOP voters, said of Haley's sweet spot in the primary electorate.

But that is still not where most of the Republican electorate is.

"I do think that most people seem aware that her path is an extraordinarily narrow one," Longwell said. "I mean, extraordinarily narrow."

Haley is trying to widen that path by appealing to both the MAGA base and the rest of the Republican Party, as well as to its far-right conservatives and more moderate voters. After months of delivering unspecific answers on abortion policy that aimed to show nuance and compassion at the November debate, she voiced support for a state-level, six-week ban during a candidate forum hosted by a conservative evangelical group in Des Moines last week.

That is not unlike how Haley has approached Trump's supporters and detractors, going through phases over the last eight years of opposing and praising Trump — and more recently, doing both.

As governor of South Carolina in 2016, Haley spoke out against Trump becoming the Republican nominee, putting her endorsement behind Sen. Marco Rubio. Then, after Trump's election, her appointment as United Nations ambassador changed her relationship with the now-former president, and she included glowing remarks about Trump in a book she published after leaving the post in 2018.

But Haley in the aftermath of the 2021 riot at the Capitol oscillated between condemning Trump for decisions he made in the White House, to later declaring that conservatives "need him in the Republican Party."

Now on the trail, Haley has sought to hold space for everyone's feelings about Trump, repeatedly saying that he was "the right president at the right time," but criticizing aspects of his foreign policy and personality. Even if she is drawing the support of "Never Trump" Republicans, she isn't campaigning like one, as former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie does.

"Where her support comes from are people who are 'Maybe Trump,' the people who voted for Trump twice, would vote for him against Joe Biden in a heartbeat, but are worried or at least interested in who else is out there," said Republican pollster Whit Ayres.

At the moment, it appears to be working, and Haley is about to unleash a torrent of advertising in the final run-up to the early state contests. The Haley camp is currently leading the rest of the field with upcoming television ad reservations. From Thanksgiving week through the Jan. 23 New Hampshire primary, the top two groups to reserve ad time are the Haley campaign and her super PAC, Stand for America Fund Inc.

The Haley campaign so far has booked $4.2 million worth of ads from now to then in Iowa and New Hampshire, while SFA Fund has reserved $3.8 million, according to the tracking firm AdImpact. Haley's campaign announced it plans to reserve a total of $10 million in television, radio and digital ads in the first two states.

DeSantis, meanwhile, has booked $1.5 million on TV in that same time frame — all in Iowa — and his aligned super PAC, Never Back Down, has $3.3 million worth of TV ads on the books in New Hampshire and Iowa ahead of the New Hampshire primary.

DeSantis is still drawing support of his own from some Trump critics: On Tuesday, Bob Vander Plaats, an influential evangelical leader in Iowa, endorsed him. But while people in DeSantis' inner circle downplay Haley's rise, NBC reported Tuesday that the super PAC closely aligned with the Florida governor's campaign is pulling anti-Haley ads in Iowa because they aren't well received.

Haley and her campaign are now taking a victory lap, openly claiming ownership of the No. 2 spot in the race, one that belonged exclusively to DeSantis for months.

"There is a growing consensus that Nikki Haley is the best challenger to take on Donald Trump and Joe Biden," Olivia Perez-Cubas, Haley's spokesperson, said in a statement to POLITICO. "This is a two-person race — between one man and one woman."

On Tuesday, Trump spokesperson Steven Cheung said, "Ron DeSantis must be devastated his Never Trump sugar daddies have found someone new."

The DeSantis campaign declined to respond to Cheung's comment.

POLITICO

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

evilone
Professor Guide
1  seeder  evilone    11 months ago

But will it be enough to unseat Trump?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  evilone @1    11 months ago

Let's hope so.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2  TᵢG  replied to  evilone @1    11 months ago

That still seems very unlikely.   But we still have time for unexpected conditions to emerge that derail Trump's stranglehold.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @1.2    11 months ago

I hope she can over take him

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.2  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.1    11 months ago

If only.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.3  seeder  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1.2    11 months ago

As the talking heads on the NFL say, "There's a lot of game left to play." It will be interesting no matter the outcome.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.4  TᵢG  replied to  evilone @1.2.3    11 months ago

I expect to be disappointed with the electorate ... again.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.5  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @1.2    11 months ago
But we still have time for unexpected conditions to emerge that derail Trump's stranglehold.

The best thing that could happen for America right now is a pair of TIAs.  I realize that's an awful thing to say and I don't wish one on either man, but FFS this is awful.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.6  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.5    11 months ago

Amazing, is it not, how degraded our political system has become to wind up with candidates like these for the highest office in the land.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.6    11 months ago

Yes, an old crook and an older incompetent.  

Thomas
Masters Guide
1.2.8  Thomas  replied to  evilone @1.2.3    11 months ago
It will be interesting no matter the outcome.

If only in a very masochistic manner 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.3  cjcold  replied to  evilone @1    11 months ago

Trump was unseated in 2020. Only he and MAGA disagree.

Is MAGA now a noun that equates to low IQ fascist morons?

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.4  Krishna  replied to  evilone @1    11 months ago
But will it be enough to unseat Trump?

No.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2  devangelical    11 months ago

... a woman, with immigrant parents from india, that said she would pardon trump, representing the GOP for POTUS. heh, good luck with that...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2    11 months ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    11 months ago

it's 2 reasons that thumpers and xenophobes making up most of the rwnj coalition won't vote for her.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    11 months ago

I for one am hopeful. She gets my vote.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    11 months ago

And yet, it is only you focusing on where her parents were from.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.3    11 months ago

I'm focusing on rwnj stereotypes that are continuously reinforced by the party even today.

George
Junior Expert
2.1.5  George  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    11 months ago

[deleted]

George
Junior Expert
2.1.6  George  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.2    11 months ago

She is a candidate I could vote for. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  George @2.1.6    11 months ago

I will be...........

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Kavika   replied to  George @2.1.5    11 months ago
No, they just think she is inferior based on skin color, it is part of the democrats platform. 

Would you please point out where in the Democrat platforms it states that? Since my skin color is the same as hers does that mean that dems think that I'm inferior? 

And yet, most people of color or minorities if you prefer belong to the dem party as do most of the politicians. It gets so confusing when you try to sell this snake oil, George. You should at least try to explain it, you've been asked more than once. Could it be that being a waabishkiiwed gives you special skills or insight into the complexities of races and also mindreading? Or are you just full of it and have no rational argument or facts?

There is another obvious possibility and that is that the democrat platform thinks she is inferior. As you should be aware the democrat platform is made up of individuals with a high percent being minorities so either you have no awareness or the facts or you are saying all the minorities involved in the democratic platform are ''Uncle Toms'', or Apples?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  George @2.1.5    11 months ago
No, they just think she is inferior based on skin color, it is part of the democrats platform. 

It appears at least one here thinking that way, or why even bring it up??

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.10  Jack_TX  replied to  Kavika @2.1.8    11 months ago
Since my skin color is the same as hers does that mean that dems think that I'm inferior? 

How have you not noticed that?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Kavika   replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.10    11 months ago
How have you not noticed that?

Quite easily yet those who profess to know this certainly tend to have very light completions and are on the right side of political fence. Those of us who are actually minorities (dark-complected) look at these comments as ignorant and lacking in color should we say. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.12  Jack_TX  replied to  Kavika @2.1.11    11 months ago

[deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Kavika   replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.12    11 months ago

Yeah.  We hear what they say when minorities are not around.

[Deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.14  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @2.1.13    11 months ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.1.14    11 months ago
I don't belong to any of those fascist groups here and rarely participate in their discussions.

LOL.

You do understand they were talking about Democrats, right?

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
2.1.16  Right Down the Center  replied to  devangelical @2.1.4    11 months ago
I'm focusing on rwnj stereotypes

So by you focusing on saying her parents are from India you are really focusing on right wing stereotypes?  

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.16    11 months ago

Maybe he was channeling his inner Joe Biden, didn't he once make quite a racist remark about Indians and convenience stores?

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.18  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.15    11 months ago
You do understand they were talking about Democrats, right?

I understand you were. I wasn't ...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.19  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    11 months ago
why the left hates her.

Actually "the left" tends to find her a breath of fresh air.

Seems it's the far right Trumpists who hate her.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.1.18    11 months ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @2.1.19    11 months ago

LOL

Not hard to see who hates her, simply look at who brought up where her parents are from.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.22  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @2.1.19    11 months ago

"I've had a great relationship. In Delaware, the largest growth in population is Indian-Americans moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking," Biden said.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.22    11 months ago

And to top it off, Joe made sure to let everyone know that he wasn't even joking.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.1.18    11 months ago

Right, you weren't.

Looks like you have convinced at least one person about the fascists

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    11 months ago
it's 2 reasons that thumpers and xenophobes making up most of the rwnj coalition won't vote for her.

Wow, it is quite an accomplishment to get away with that

I bet if I changed "thumpers and xenophobes" to "leftists and radicals" and "rwnj" to "lwnj" it wouldn't stand for two minutes

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.27  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @2.1.8    11 months ago

How is it that far right wing fascists are now blaming liberals for being what fascists have always been?

I guess that muddying the water is what fascists do.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.28  Krishna  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.22    11 months ago
. You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent

Actually there's some truth to that.

I'd never known any Indian-Americans. That's "Desi" Americans.

(People from South Asia (i.e. India, Pakistan and probably Sri Lanka) refer to themselves as "Desis").

But the last few years I've suddenly been meeting a few. In fact its gotten to the point where when meeting one I often ask:
What kind of Indian are you? A 711 owner or a Software Engineer?

It meant to be humorous-- and none of them consider that steortype to be an insult-- in fact its a compliment. "Software Engineers" are a more advanced form of programmer. Most are highly intelligent, hard-working-- and make a lot of money.

And owning a 711 is a tribute to their entrepreneurial skills. (Its usually owning a 711 if they live in more urban areas, a Motel 6 if they live in more rural areas.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.29  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.1.28    11 months ago
A 711 owner or a Software Engineer?

I was sitting with a group before a meeting. The woman sitting next to me was Indian. I asked her that question-- she saw the humor in it and laughed.

Then she corrected me-- said the joke was accurate, but I left out a third profession that's fairly common with Indian immigrants. And a lot of woman (She was an Indian immigrant-- fluent in English, Indian accent, very intelligent and she was a doctor).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.30  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @2.1.27    11 months ago
How is it that far right wing fascists are now blaming liberals for being what fascists have alway

Can you quote anyone doing that?

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.31  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.26    11 months ago

jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2  seeder  evilone  replied to  devangelical @2    11 months ago

She's got a better shot moving independents away from the Dems than Trump does, but I'm skeptical she's got enough momentum to get the nomination.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.1  devangelical  replied to  evilone @2.2    11 months ago

I agree, but that's a precarious tightrope to walk while she still has to suck up to the psychotic base that votes in the rwnj primaries. whatever happens, it's bound to be hilarious up to and through their convention.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Jack_TX  replied to  evilone @2.2    11 months ago
She's got a better shot moving independents away from the Dems than Trump does,

Biden is doing that.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2.3  seeder  evilone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.2    11 months ago

I'm not convinced that's really happening either. Disapproval polls are one thing, but when rubber meets the road people will vote against who they think is the worst of the two. Personally, if it comes down to it I'll vote against Trump again. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  Jack_TX  replied to  evilone @2.2.3    11 months ago
I'm not convinced that's really happening either. Disapproval polls are one thing, but when rubber meets the road people will vote against who they think is the worst of the two. Personally, if it comes down to it I'll vote against Trump again. 

There weren't very many reasons to vote against Biden in 2020.  That has changed dramatically.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.2.5  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @2.2.1    11 months ago

Used to work at KNI and Meningers in Topeka.

Don't find mental illness to be a joking matter.

[deleted]

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @2.2.5    11 months ago
Just like Hitler and the Germans were in the 30s.

What caused all of the Germans to become mentally ill in the 30’s?  What cured them, WW II?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.7  Krishna  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.6    11 months ago
 What cured them, WW II?

Yes.

People were demonstrating in European capitals chanting:

Germany Shall Be Free

From the River to the Sea".

and

Free, free Germany!

The demonstrators wanted a cease fire.

But the Allies refused.

They wanted to keep fighting until Naziism was destroyed.

And Nazism was Destroyed!!! jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.8  Krishna  replied to  evilone @2.2.3    11 months ago
when rubber meets the road people will vote against who they think is the worst of the two.

That's quite an overgeneralization.

Yes-- true for many people. Sometimes.

On occasion, I myself have voted against a particular candidate instead of voting "for" some I liked-- there was no one running that I liked.

But sometimes some people see a candidate they like and enthusiastically vote for them. Many Republicans are Trump supporters & really like him-- just look at the polls. Some Republicans and many Independents however don't see any candidate they like, so they're voting against the one they like the least-- the one whom they feel will do the least damage!!!!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.2.9  cjcold  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.2    11 months ago

This lifelong independent is seeing conservatives as being evil more and more these days.

The far right no longer cares for the rule of law.

The far right no longer cares for reality.

The far right doesn't understand empathy.

The far right has gone to the dark side.

The far right only understands greed.

The far right only understands hate of the other.

The far right wing must have control over women.

The far right are now nothing but fascists.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @2.2.9    11 months ago

What ELSE have you dreamt up?

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2.11  seeder  evilone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.4    11 months ago
That has changed dramatically.

Biden is less imaginative than beige paint. If you want to convince me, and others, you'll have to do better. On the other side is Trump's grievance tour. His platform is an authoritarian wet dream that should concern anyone who believes in basic democracy. I guess at this point we might infer, at least half the country either doesn't believe in democracy OR doesn't care.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.12  devangelical  replied to  evilone @2.2.11    11 months ago
half the country either doesn't believe in democracy OR doesn't care.

I care, and the efficient side of me wants trump to win in '24, because I know what will happen to him and his supporters with the first unconstitutional move towards autocracy...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.3  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @2    11 months ago

So a four armed imaginary god is equated with a small-dicked fool?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.3.1  Krishna  replied to  cjcold @2.3    11 months ago

So a four armed imaginary god is equated with a small-dicked fool?

I personally don't worship any Hindu God-- regardless of how many arms they may have. However I do especially like Lakshmi:

In fact I've done Feng Shui and even have a small picture of Lakshmi in the "Prosperity Corner" of my Living Room. (Other things in that corner are: A small wooden dragon, Bamboo, Jade Plant, and a small Purple Geode, all Chinese symbolism).

My Feng Shui* is very Ecumenical as its usually done with only Chinese objects-- not Indian! 

*If you don't know what Feng Shui is ask Buzz.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.3.2  cjcold  replied to  Krishna @2.3.1    11 months ago

Shiva likely looks after me. 69 and still alive. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.4  Krishna  replied to  devangelical @2    11 months ago
with immigrant parents from india,

I just googled her. She's pretty much a Conservative Republican. Apparently her parents were immigrants, Sikhs (a unique religion that's very much like Hinduism) but converted to Christianity in 1997. She attends Methodist services regularly, but occasionally goes to Sikh services). 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.4.1  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.4    11 months ago
with immigrant parents from india,

Apparently that is frowned on by some.

Probably by the same folks who refuse to acknowledge a crisis at the border or the millions who have come or stayed illegally, but legal immigrants from India??

Not acceptable for some strange reason.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.4.2  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @2.4.1    11 months ago

Apparently that is frowned on by some.

Just about everything any politician does is frowned frowned on by some . Strange, eh?

Probably by the same folks who refuse to acknowledge a crisis at the border or the millions who have come or stayed illegally, but legal immigrants from India??

She's a conservative Republican-- so surprise!  She's frowned on by a lot of Progressives and other Dems. Who knew?

I doubt if the fact that her family immigrated is a factor. And anyway, now she's kosher-- she's converted to Christianity.. jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif (Peace be Upon Her !).

But in addition she's now frowned upon . . .  by Trump. Hmmmmmm. (I wonder what nasty name he is calling her?) 

Not acceptable for some strange reason.

What-- a politician (any politician!) not being acceptable for some strange reason? I am shocked-- shocked I tell you.*

* Play it Sam. A kiss is just a kiss. But we'll always have Paris, even though this may be the start of a beautiful friendship. Your winnings Sir!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.4.3  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.4.2    11 months ago
Just about everything any politician does is frowned frowned on by some . Strange, eh?

That wasn't about Haley, it is more about people overly concerned with where her parents came from.

doubt if the fact that her family immigrated is a factor. And anyway, now she's kosher-- she's converted to Christianity.

Maybe that comment would be better directed to the one who brought it up like it was some big deal.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.4.4  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.4.2    11 months ago
Just about everything any politician does is frowned 

Nicki didn't immigrate.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.4.5  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @2.4.3    11 months ago
That wasn't about Haley, it is more about people overly concerned with where her parents came from

Well, I myself am not overly concerned about where the parents of all the candidates come from. In fact, I'm also not overly concerned about the concerns of voters that may or may not care about where a candidates parents are from.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.4.6  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @2.4.4    11 months ago
Nicki didn't immigrate.

You mean she wasn't actually born in South Carolina?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.4.7  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.4.5    11 months ago
Well, I myself am not overly concerned about where the parents of all the candidates come from.

Yes, I know.

Which is why I told you to direct those comments to someone who is overly concerned.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.4.8  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.4.6    11 months ago
You mean she wasn't actually born in South Carolina?

The two things are separate.

Why would I mean something so damn stupid?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.4.9  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @2.4.1    11 months ago

Where did your ancestors come from tex?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.4.10  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @2.4.9    11 months ago
Where did your ancestors come from tex?

I have ancestors from England, Scotland, Germany, North America.

Why do you want to know?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.5  Krishna  replied to  devangelical @2    11 months ago
a woman, with immigrant parents from india,

Who converted to Christianity . . .

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.5    11 months ago
Who converted to Christianity . . .

I think that is what really bothers some folks.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.5.2  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @2.5.1    11 months ago
I think that is what really bothers some folks.

This might comes as a shock to some people, but I'm not really all that concerned about whether or not a person who is a Christian was born a Christian-- or converted. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.5.3  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @2.5.1    11 months ago

Any belief in mythology and superstition is pretty much like any other. 

Some weak brains just need an escape goat.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.5.4  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.5.2    11 months ago

Never said it bothered YOU, but plainly it pains others.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.5.5  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @2.5.3    11 months ago
Any belief in mythology and superstition is pretty much like any other.  Some weak brains just need an escape goat.

I'll let Joe know you think he is weak-brained.

Many of us recognized that long ago.

Welcome to the light!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.5.6  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @2.5.1    11 months ago

Could it be that she was pressured into it?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.5.7  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @2.5.6    11 months ago
Could it be that she was pressured into it?

It could be. It could not be.

As an adult now for many years, she makes her own choices.

What difference would it possibly make now if she was pressured?

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    11 months ago

No! Trump is the MAGA Man The gop must nominate Trump! Go MAGA!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3    11 months ago
No! Trump is the MAGA Man The gop must nominate Trump

Are you under the misguided impression that the GOP must do as you wish?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    11 months ago

What kind of 'common sense' would lead you to believe that JBB thinks he can control the GOP?   

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    11 months ago
What kind of 'common sense'

Please limit your replies to me to something I have actually written.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.3  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    11 months ago

I am confident the gop will nominate Trump again in 2024. Good...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.3    11 months ago
I am confident the gop will nominate Trump again in 2024. Good...

Wow, that certainly is a far cry from "must"

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.5  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.4    11 months ago

The gop must do what the gop must do. It isn't up to me.

That being said, it appears the gop is hellbent on Trump!

Just to make sure they do, Democrats Donate To Trump...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    11 months ago
Please limit your replies to me to something I have actually written.

Read what you write:

Texan @3.1Are you under the misguided impression that the GOP must do as you wish?

So, again, what kind of 'common sense' would lead you to believe that JBB thinks he can control the GOP?   

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.5    11 months ago
The gop must do what the gop must do. It isn't up to me.

Then you probably shouldn't be telling it what it MUST do. THAT would make sense.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.6    11 months ago
Read what you write:

Read what I wrote.

What a great suggestion for yourself.

I recommend you try it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.6    11 months ago

[deleted]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.10  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.9    11 months ago

So now you tacitly admit that you think JBB stated that he can control the GOP.

I don't know what goes on in his brain and can not explain why he thinks the GOP MUST do anything at all.

Yes, you do not know.   So do not leap to a totally stupid conclusion that he meant that he can control the GOP.   If you are unclear, ask him to clarify.

You did not do that.   You leaped to a truly stupid, unlikely, distorted interpretation of his words.   And you stick with it no matter what he writes.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.11  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @3.1.5    11 months ago

Bidens numbers are going down and Trumps are going up.  Why would you want Trump as the nominee?  Do you really think the others looking for the nomination have a better chance at beating Biden than Trump does?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.10    11 months ago
So now you tacitly admit that you think JBB stated that he can control the GOP.

Your clumsy attempt at putting words in my mouth is failing miserably.

Remember your admonition to me--read, get informed.

I went by his exact words.

Feel free to redefine them as you see fit to bolster a weak case.

Funny how words seem to matter only when you decide they do.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.13  Right Down the Center  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.10    11 months ago
 If you are unclear, ask him to clarify.

He asked: Are you under the misguided impression that the GOP must do as you wish?

Notice the question mark at the end?  That would usually indicate a desire for clarification.  You do it all the time.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.13    11 months ago
He asked: Are you under the misguided impression that the GOP must do as you wish?

Thanks for taking the time to read and comprehend. It is a breath of fresh air.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.15  TᵢG  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.13    11 months ago
Are you under the misguided impression that the GOP must do as you wish?

What rational mind would infer that JBB thinks he can control the GOP?   

Obviously JBB was stating that the GOP is determined to nominate Trump because Trump is "the MAGA man".

An honest question for clarification would not distort the meaning of the statement into absurdity.   It would ask for clarification when two or more likely, reasonable interpretations exist.

And here you are trying to defend this dishonesty.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.16  JBB  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.11    11 months ago

Joe will whoop Trump even worse this time!

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.17  Right Down the Center  impassed  TᵢG @3.1.15    11 months ago
✋🏼

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3.1.27  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @3.1.16    11 months ago

The rest of this thread was removed for no value and endless taunting and has also been locked. It better not start in another thread. Only warning.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    11 months ago

There are way too many Republicans who think Trump has never done anything wrong  for Nikki Haley to have a realistic shot. 

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @4    11 months ago
There are way too many Republicans who think Trump has never done anything wrong

There are way too many right wing populists who think Trump is a political victim. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  evilone @4.1    11 months ago
There are way too many right wing populists who think Trump is a political victim. 

Yes, but not nearly enough to win the election.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @4    11 months ago
There are way too many Republicans who think Trump has never done anything wrong  for Nikki Haley to have a realistic shot.

Don't confuse not knowing with not caring.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
5  Gazoo    11 months ago

Haley’s a war hawk neocon, no thanks.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1  TᵢG  replied to  Gazoo @5    11 months ago

Who do you prefer?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @5.1    11 months ago

Who do you prefer?

Well, as someone here said:

What kind of 'common sense' would lead you to believe that JBB thinks he can control the GOP? 

Now I don't know if JBB is an actual Magician or not-- but if he does in fact have those sorts of magickal powers, then I'd I definitely prefer JBB.  

(Full Disclosure: Yes I do believe in Magicke! In fact I've been learning how to do it myself, albeit a bit slowly).

Where is Veronica when we need her...??? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif )

(I'm trying to remember the spell I learned to summon people forth)

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Krishna @5.1.1    11 months ago
... but if he does in fact have those sorts of magickal powers, then I'd I definitely prefer JBB.  

Magical powers would be quite a plus for a PotUS.   

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.2    11 months ago
Magical powers would be quite a plus for a PotUS.   

Actually now that I reconsider that-- I'm wishing that some of the voters had magickal powers!

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    11 months ago

Thread 3 was locked to keep it from getting worse. charger

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    11 months ago

If Nikki Haley does emerge as the only and final competition for Trump for the GOP nomination, he will start attacking her like nothing we've ever seen before in party primaries. I'm thinking something along the lines of "her father helped Hinkley shoot Ronald Reagan", and her daughter is a dog face who had four abortions.. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @7    11 months ago
her daughter is a dog face who had four abortions.. 

I like that-- that one's pretty good actually.

When I was a kid we had some very picturesque phrases for "cursing" someone's mother:

Your mutha's a skin diver for Roto-Rooter.

You Mutha's's so low she has to look up to look down!

(Which is sort of creative..in a way...)

Your mutha wears Combat Boots!

(That was actually used more for "old lady teachers" than "mutha's"), mutha's who wore those high "old lady shoes" that laced way up)

Yer mutha does it with everyone on the block!

(We started using that one when we were pretty young-- we were too young to know what "doing it" was, but figured it was something pretty bad).

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @7    11 months ago
and her daughter is a dog face who had four abortions.. 

Not bad.

But to give it even more "Ooomph" I would modify it slightly:

Your youngest daughter is the first of you mother's four abortions-- and won't be the last! (Acting crude and stupid is in many ways an art form, n'est-ce pas?)

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
7.3  MonsterMash  replied to  JohnRussell @7    11 months ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  MonsterMash @7.3    11 months ago
If Haley is the GOP nominee I and everyone else on NT knows without a doubt you'll be attacking her several times a day every day.

Exactly right--without a doubt.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.3.2  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @7.3.1    11 months ago
Exactly right--without a doubt.

So does that mean you do care where she was born after all?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @7.3.2    11 months ago
So does that mean you do care where she was born after all?

Looks like you are getting your conversations completely mixed up.

What does her birthplace possibly have to do with people attacking her if she is the GOP nominee?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.3.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @7.3.1    11 months ago

Believe it or not, there is a big difference between someone on an internet form attacking her and her only competition for the presidential nomination attacking her with preposterous lies and nonsense, which we all know Trump will do if he starts to feel threatened by her. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.3.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @7.3.4    11 months ago

If Haley ends up as the nominee, I feel confident in predicting attacks from the left. 

Some have already started with comments about her parents, as if she isn't an American because her parents migrated legally here.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.3.6  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @7.3.5    11 months ago
If Haley ends up as the nominee, I feel confident in predicting attacks from the left. 

Ds will attack the R nominee and Rs will attack the D nominee.

Happens every election cycle.   As predictable as a sunrise.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.3.7  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.6    11 months ago

Very good.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8  Hal A. Lujah    11 months ago

Trump supporters are more concerned about his revenge and retribution than having an actual functioning government.  The more he amps up the rhetoric, the more supportive they get.  She’s not going to peel these creatures away from him.  Without them she has no shot.  This is what we have become.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8    11 months ago

seen on truth social

d57720965f138e97.jpg

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    11 months ago

How long have you had an account there?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.1.1    11 months ago

I use it on the days Three Stooges films are not available for streaming. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8    11 months ago
Trump supporters are more concerned about his revenge and retribution than having an actual functioning government.

I think that you’re partially right, but they would disagree with you about what a functioning government does.  Many think that our government has failed them.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2    11 months ago

I’ll be the first to admit that our federal government is one of the most inefficient and dysfunctional entities this country has ever produced, but there’s a big difference between pruning a tree and yanking it out by its roots.

Thomas
Masters Guide
8.2.2  Thomas  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.2.1    11 months ago

Trump has no concern for the constitution and would much rather be anointed king by his followers. Therefore there is no concern given to anyone or anything but Trump himself.  His minions either don not want to or cannot think beyond him achieving power to the obvious and frightening possibility of what the nation would look like if he achieved even a part of his stated goals. 

Thomas
Masters Guide
8.2.3  Thomas  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2    11 months ago
I think that you’re partially right, but they would disagree with you about what a functioning government does. Many think that our government has failed them.

Well bully on them. What has it done or not done? You're saying that it failed them. Failed them how? 

devangelical
Professor Principal
9  devangelical    11 months ago

... a koch endorsement won't hurt either.