╌>

Egypt’s Sinai Bedouins fear Israel’s mass displacement of Gaza Palestinians

Category:  News & Politics

By:  kavika  •  11 months ago  •  11 comments

Egypt’s Sinai Bedouins fear Israel’s mass displacement of Gaza Palestinians

As Israel’s war on Gaza nears the end of a second month, Rehab Eldalil worries about reports of efforts by Israel to push the 2.3 million people of the besieged Gaza Strip into the Egyptian Sinai Peninsula – her ancestors’ home.

President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi has publicly stated that Egypt will not allow a displacement of Palestinians, as it would mean “the end of the Palestinian cause” and a potential threat to Egypt’s national security. But news reports have suggested that Israel might offer to pay off some of Egypt’s vast public debt in exchange for allowing the forced displacement of people from Gaza into Sinai.

Eldalil, an Egyptian photographer and storyteller of Bedouin descent, worries that that kind of narrative “takes away the right of Palestinians to stay on their land, while promoting that Sinai is an empty desert for Palestinians to go to”.

It is not, and hasn’t been for centuries.

The 61,000sq km (23,500sq mile) triangle of land that bridges Africa and Asia is a popular tourist destination, a significant religious and historical site, and an important economic centre for Egypt. It is home to several oil and natural gas fields, as well as the Suez Canal, one of the world’s busiest shipping routes, which generates up to $9bn annually.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     11 months ago
And there is the Bedouin law. “If there is an issue… they would have a sit-down between the families in dispute and fix it in a more civilised manner that you would see in many progressive countries,” she says. “They have their own set of rules and unspoken laws, something that with time has created a lot of issues between them and the government, just like it happens with any other indigenous community in the world,” Eldalil adds.

Many so called advance countries could learn from the Indigenous Bedouins.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    11 months ago

So what's the primary reason that other Arab countries are unwilling to admit the Palestinians/Bedouins within their borders?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @2    11 months ago
So what's the primary reason that other Arab countries are unwilling to admit the Palestinians/Bedouins within their borders?

Most countries have very large Palestinian population, Jordan for example has over 3 million. 

The Bedouins are a totally different story in this article they are part of Egypt and have lived in the Sinai for over 1,000 years and in Israel there are over 200,000 who are Israeli citizens, 

The article is about the Bedouins of the Siani who do not want millions of displaced Palestinians to take their land.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @2.1    11 months ago

why would any non-israeli become involved with the israeli gov't in a land deal in that region?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    11 months ago

I can't think of a good reason, but one never knows what can go on. Money is always a great motivator.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    11 months ago

Why should Israel make deals with terrorists?

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    11 months ago

Seems like no country or other people want the Palestinians but there are people who protest for them. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Kavika   replied to  charger 383 @3    11 months ago

Many countries have large numbers of Palestinians and cannot accept any more and yes there are some that don't want them and the Bedouins have an excellent point their area is limited and 3 to 5 million Palestinians would overrun them and displace them from their land.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @3.1    11 months ago

Which countries can not accept more, and is that the same number who simply won't accept more?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 months ago

I can get why the Bedouins are concerned. That being said, I really don't think that Egypt will put up with that and I think that Israel knows that. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    11 months ago
I can get why the Bedouins are concerned. That being said, I really don't think that Egypt will put up with that and I think that Israel knows that. 

I don't either but in the upside down world of the ME, anything is possible.