╌>

Who will run Gaza after the war? U.S. searches for best of bad options

Category:  News & Politics

By:  kavika  •  10 months ago  •  12 comments

Who will run Gaza after the war? U.S. searches for best of bad options

TEL AVIV — The Israelis say they don’t want the job. Arab nations are resisting. Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas might volunteer, but the Palestinian people probably don’t want him.

As the Biden administration begins to plan for “the day after” in Gaza — confronting problematic questions such as who runs the territory once the shooting stops, how it gets rebuilt and, potentially, how it eventually becomes a part of an independent Palestinian state — the stakeholders face a host of unattractive options.

On a trip to Israel and the West Bank last week, Secretary of State Antony Blinken sought to advance those discussions, but there were few easy answers. The Biden administration is pushing to install a “revitalized” Palestinian Authority as Gaza’s administrator, but it is an unpopular idea with the Israeli government and even among many Palestinians. U.S. officials acknowledge the challenge, but say the group is the best, and perhaps the only, solution among a list of worse options, which include a return to direct Israeli occupation of the Gaza Strip.

“We have no illusions this is going to be easy. We’ll surely have disagreements along the way,” Blinken told reporters while in Tel Aviv. But, he said, “the alternative — more terrorist attacks, more violence, more innocent suffering — is unacceptable.”

Following the Oct. 7   Hamas attack   that killed at least 1,200 Israelis, Israel vowed to destroy the group as both a military and governing entity.

But after more than 15 years in power in Gaza, Hamas and its supporters are deeply embedded in every sector of society — not only in the government ministries they run, but also in charities, courts, mosques, sport teams, jails, municipalities and youth group.

LINK TO ORIGINAL ARTICLE: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/who-will-run-gaza-after-the-war-u-s-searches-for-best-of-bad-options/ar-AA1kW1pc?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=9016a751426c41c4afe2d84a3d3cf76f&ei=20

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     10 months ago

ALL OFF TOPIC COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT WARNING. 

The PA is useless and corrupt and I doubt that the Palestinians want Abbas and the PA.

There are not a lot of options since no one seems to want the job if there is anything left in Gaza to manage.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2  charger 383    10 months ago

Israel will be stuck running Gaza, nobody else wants it and controlling Gaza is in their best interest  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  charger 383 @2    10 months ago
Israel will be stuck running Gaza, nobody else wants it and controlling Gaza is in their best interest 

We have seen what happens when Palestinians control Gaza.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2  Krishna  replied to  charger 383 @2    10 months ago

There was a time when Israel did run Gaza. 

But then they left-- voluntarily. They don't want to run it.

before Israel ran Gaza the Egyptians ran Gaza. But they don't want to do that now either.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @2.2    10 months ago

Yeah, that is true, I really don't know of any single country that will do it. Perhaps some kind of coalition of countries, Krish.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.3  author  Kavika   replied to  charger 383 @2    10 months ago

Both Egypt and Israel have run it for years, both left and neither wants it, charger. 

It's not going to be easy to find one or a coalition to run it.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.3.1  charger 383  replied to  Kavika @2.3    10 months ago

Israel would be better off running Gaza than letting it be like it was. Resent history shows the people there can not do the job. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.3.2  author  Kavika   replied to  charger 383 @2.3.1    10 months ago

Problem is charger has stated they will not do it. 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
2.3.3  Colour Me Free  replied to  Kavika @2.3.2    10 months ago

Netanyahu said Israel will have 'security responsibility' in Gaza for an indefinite period of time [might not be his exact words] I know that is not exactly a governing body, but it should give Palestinians a chance to regroup, hopefully heal a lil before deciding who should 'run' Gaza.  I do not think the Palestinians will choose another Hamas type group to govern - they need to form their own government, which I am sure is not an easy task.

The US does not have a great track record when it comes to establishing governments in other countries - 'we' should be the last ones consulted on the subject matter.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3  Nerm_L    10 months ago

Seems like the United Nations should be involved for both a peacekeeping mission and a relief mission and an economic development mission.  The UN could call on Middle Eastern member states to supply personnel and resources for a peacekeeping mission that would provide stability and deter revitalizing the terror groups.  

Isn't this why the United Nations exists?  

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Nerm_L @3    10 months ago

I doubt if Israel will accept the UN since the UN for years has shown their bias against Israel.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Kavika @3.1    10 months ago
I doubt if Israel will accept the UN since the UN for years has shown their bias against Israel.

The United Nations will be utilized to denounce and limit Israeli occupation of Gaza, possibly with sanctions.  IMO one problem to achieving peace has been the UN only serving as a venue to attack Israel.

If the UN cannot coordinate and manage resources that contribute to peace then what is the point of the organization? 

Note this is not a call for the UN to govern Gaza.  The role of the UN is to create stability and opportunity as a prelude to self government.  The UN does have a role for deterring Hamas returning to power in Gaza.

I don't think Israel has a choice if the United Nations decides to become involved.