╌>

Utah Proposes Firing Squad for Executions

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  10 years ago  •  11 comments

Utah Proposes Firing Squad for Executions

STORYLINE Full coverage of the death penalty and capital punishment in the United States and breaking news about prison inmate executions and lethal injection protocols

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

"We have to have an option," Ray told reporters Wednesday. "If we go hanging, if we go to the guillotine, or we go to the firing squad, electric chair, you're still going to have the same circus atmosphere behind it. So is it really going to matter?"

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    10 years ago

And since ammunition from multiple manufacturers can be used in many weapons, multiple providers would be used and identified as the source of the bullets

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Good point, recidivism rate among those executed is indeed 0%

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

I have never argued that it was not vengeance, I totally agree but a vengeance of a specific kind

Retribution - punishment inflicted on someone as vengeance for a wrong or criminal act.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Yes, I agree with President Obama who said

"While the evidence tells me that the death penalty does little to deter crime, I believe there are some crimesmass murder, the rape and murder of a childso heinous, so beyond the pale, that the community is justified in expressing the full measure of its outrage by meting out the ultimate punishment."

Page 35, 'Audacity of Hope'

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro    10 years ago

I agree that as far as execution styles go, firing squad is definitely the most humane. Also the most cost efficient I would think.

LynneA
Freshman Silent
link   LynneA    10 years ago

If the death penalty is to mete out justice and not vengeance, isn't it incumbent on our civilized society to kill in the most humane way possible? I don'tbelieve a shot in the heart provides the most expedient means of death, also theamount of suffering (since this is not vengeance) has to be considered.

In the name of justice I propose a study to determine how to best kill our fellow man. ISIS prefers beheading in their justice system, who knows maybe it the quickest (certainly cheap) and produces the least amount of suffering....perhaps a bullet to the head. /s

But who cares? They're horrific criminals that should be put down like dogs because our justice system is ALWAYS right! Are our barbarian acts more palatable because we're America?

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Whether I am a person of faith or not is none of your business or concern

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    10 years ago

Use the guillotine

While I am generally opposed to the Death Penalty, from my understanding of death and suffering, if your going to do it; the use a guillotine is humane albeit macabre and gruesome....and final.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    10 years ago

Smile.gif Smile.gif Smile.gif

LynneA
Freshman Silent
link   LynneA    10 years ago

Grin.gif Phew, glad to be on the left, liberal, Jesus loves you side of Christianity! The death penalty is a perverse "justice" in my opinionwhereas vengeance or perhaps retribution is more palatable to those right Christian do-gooders. Viewing oneself as the spokesperson of God is almost comical and yet the vast majority of evangelicals have elevated themselves to that position. And they wonder why people are so damning of their ilk, because they wrap there righteousness in "love the sinner, not the sin"....yeah, right!!

Europe is on the right side of this issue, debate time should be over. But then again, we're still debating abortion and gay marriage :(

The statistics have always been and continue to be an area our society will not address.