╌>

Boston mayor under fire for ‘no whites’ Christmas party for city’s ‘Electeds of Color’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  10 months ago  •  132 comments

Boston mayor under fire for ‘no whites’ Christmas party for city’s ‘Electeds of Color’

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Boston Mayor Michelle Wu   is not dreaming of a white Christmas — party, that is.

An invite concerning the Boston mayor’s holiday party, specifically for “Electeds of Color,” was mistakenly sent by an aide to all members of the Boston City Council.

Some 15 minutes later, that aide, Denise DosSantos, who serves as the mayor’s director of City Council relations, blasted up a follow-up email flagging the embarrassing error.

“I wanted to apologize for my previous email regarding a Holiday Party for tomorrow,” DosSantos wrote.

The white councilors were not supposed to receive an invite.

“I did send that to everyone by accident, and I apologize if my email may have offended or came across as so,” the aide added. “Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.”

Boston’s City Council is comprised of six minority and seven white members.

The revelation of the secret “no whites” holiday party drew some backlash and sent social media aflutter.

City Councilor Frank Baker, a white Democrat bashed the move as “unfortunate and divisive,” but stressed it didn’t affect him personally.

“I don’t really get offended too easily,” Baker   told the Boston Herald . “To offend me, you’re going to have to do much more than not invite me to a party.”

“I find it unfortunate that with the temperature the way it is, that we would further that division,” Baker said.

. @MayorWu , the Mayor of Boston invited only “electeds of color” to a Holiday Party. The email was mistakenly sent to all city councilmembers, including the white ones. One white councilmember called it “divisive.”

The party is still scheduled to take place and only black…   pic.twitter.com/1CJL8aKsQY

— Libs of TikTok (@libsoftiktok)   December 13, 2023

Others fended off criticism of the shindig.

Councilor Brian Worrell, a black Democrat who is seemingly poised to become the vice president of the Council next term, argued there wasn’t anything out of the ordinary about the party.

“We make space and spaces for all kinds of specific groups in the city and city government,” Worrell told the Boston Herald.

This is no different, and the Elected Officials of Color has been around for more than a decade.”

Conservative social media was less than enthused by news of the racially segregated holiday party.

“Mayor Wu is NOT dreaming of a white Christmas. And she will NOT be serving white wine tonight. Or white-meat chicken. No palefaces invited to Parkman House powwow!” New England radio host Howie Carr joked on X.

“So in Boston, you can’t attend the mayor’s holiday party if you are white. How much longer are Americans going to tolerate this left-wing racist crap?” conservative X user Rod Dreher wrote.

Mayor Wu is NOT dreaming of a white Christmas.

And she will NOT be serving white wine tonight.

Or white-meat chicken.

No palefaces invited to Parkman House powwow!

Boston's woke Democrat Mayor plans secret 'no WHITES' Christmas party   https://t.co/aAfOQhRK0k   via   @MailOnline

— Howie Carr (@HowieCarrShow)   December 13, 2023

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    10 months ago

Democrats never stray far from their segregation roots.

And since she's a progressive in good standing, her racism will be overlooked....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    10 months ago

Gee, I wonder what the reaction would be if someone had a whites only party.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    10 months ago

The biggest scandal in the nation followed by multiple resignations. The President would actually speak in public to denounce it and call for a "national dialogue," the city would be sued,  etc..  

But since it's a tax payer event excluding  whites, progressives will attack Libs of Tik Tok and claim this is all her fault. 

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    10 months ago

I hope it happens.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.1.3  Gazoo  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    10 months ago

The reaction would be “racistracistracistblahblah”, with probably a couple of handfuls of “fascists” as well.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Gazoo @1.1.3    10 months ago

I can guarantee that someone would post such an article, laying out a case that America has always been racist and that it is somehow all Trump's fault.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.5  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    10 months ago
Gee, I wonder what the reaction would be if someone had a whites only party.

You mean like the "unite the right" party in Charlottesville where they flew Confederate and Nazi flags and chanted "Jews will not replace us."?

This is a huge embarrassment for Mayor Wu though.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.5    10 months ago

That is one ignorant comparison for a number of reasons.

I remember quite a few folks were rightfully upset over the events in Charlottesville. 

This is a case of elected officials engaging in blatant racism.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.7  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    10 months ago

This very thread has several examples of people who are upset about this.  I'd bet you there were elected representatives at the unite the right rally too.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.7    10 months ago

prove it and you will have a valid point 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.1.9  Gazoo  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    10 months ago

I can guarantee that someone would post such an article, laying out a case that America has always been racist and that it is somehow all Trump's fault.”

We’ve seen it plenty of times before and i’m sure we’ll see it many times again. And if it gets really ugly, like it did the other night see we’ll see death wishing on a mass scale

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.10  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.5    10 months ago
mean like the "unite the right" party in Charlottesville where they flew Confederate and Nazi flags and chanted "Jews will not replace us."?

Let's compare:

So we are going on 7  years after the left turned a couple dozen  nobodies marching and chanting into a national scandal requiring every Republican from the President on down to denounce it and the left still obsesses about it as some sort of symbol of  Republicans. For some reason though  they ignore the dozens of  similar demonstrations that have occurred on an almost daily basis the last few months. 

Here we have the elected mayor of one of the largest cities in the nation planning a racist party for other public officials using taxpayer resources. Has the President denounced her yet? Is the left wing media asking every Democrat to denounce Wu and the Boston Democrats? 

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.1.11  charger 383  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    10 months ago

was that a government sponsored event with invites excluding one group?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  charger 383 @1.1.11    10 months ago
was that a government sponsored event with invites excluding one group?

Racism is always acceptable as long as whites are victims.

That is all that matters to some.

Get whitey back!

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.13  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.12    10 months ago

Wow. "Whitey" protests a version of just desserts. Maybe we should forget the past and just get along, Texan1211.

This mayor messed up on several levels including the 'step' where she should not mistreat or neglect staff, employees, or people based on color or ethnicity. To do so makes her vulnerable of a charge of doing to others a BAD thing. . . and she becomes just as bad!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.1.13    10 months ago
"Whitey" protests a version of just desserts.

Well, this 'whitey' is protesting this act of racism. Why don't you join me?

Maybe we should forget the past and just get along, Texan1211.

Far too many liberals living in the past.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.1.13    10 months ago
This mayor messed up on several levels including the 'step' where she should not mistreat or neglect staff, employees, or people based on color or ethnicity. To do so makes her vulnerable of a charge of doing to others a BAD thing. . . and she becomes just as bad!

Gee, that is exactly what many here are doing--pointing out how wrong she was and how wrong it is for anyone to support this racism.

Climb aboard!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.16  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    10 months ago

He'll be along shortly to do just that.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.17  Jasper2529  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.10    10 months ago
Here we have the elected mayor of one of the largest cities in the nation planning a racist party for other public officials using taxpayer resources.

Let's not forget that she first invited everyone but then un-invited all of the white council members.

Has the President denounced her yet?

No. Crickets.

Is the left wing media asking every Democrat to denounce Wu and the Boston Democrats? 

No. Crickets.

By the way, Wu's husband happens to be white. Did she allow him to attend?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.18  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.17    10 months ago
u's husband happens to be white. Did she allow him to attend?

Doesn't look like it. At least one black official brought their black spouse though.  Must be an awkward conversation at dinner.

"Can I go? Bill's bringing his wife."

"Sorry, your kind isn't allowed." 

CB
Professor Principal
1.2  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    10 months ago

This mayor's perceived 'folly' has not a damn thing to do with democrats as a group. But like a 'good' MAGA republican-'somebody' could not resist painting with a 

xT39D7GQo1m3LatZyU.webp

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @1.2    10 months ago

You know what: it was only by accident that we found out about it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.2    10 months ago

Sure it does have to do with Democrats. If the situation was an all white party, i am almost positive you would be ecstatic about it.

/s

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.2    10 months ago

I can't quite make out who that is.

Is that Hunter in a drug induced frenzy creating his very expensive "art"?

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.4  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    10 months ago

Not everything you, we, find out about is worth discussion. . . unless it is to make someone look bad. Imagine if I posted everything I read that might get a rise out of MAGA republicans. . . I won't do it because it just is not needful or helpful. Wait for the big stuff. 

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.5  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.2    10 months ago

What can I say? MAGA conservatives when in the majority were/are 'infamous' for their treatment of people of color dismissively. Then: There is this from the article:

Councilor Brian Worrell, a black Democrat who is seemingly poised to become the vice president of the Council next term, argued there wasn’t anything out of the ordinary about the party.

“We make space and spaces for all kinds of specific groups in the city and city government,” Worrell told the Boston Herald.

This is no different, and the Elected Officials of Color has been around for more than a decade.

That said, I don't fully agree with this mayor choosing to leave Whites out of this party: Because everybody loves a party and should be invited to an "office party"!  :)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.2.5    10 months ago
What can I say? MAGA conservatives when in the majority were/are 'infamous' for their treatment of people of color dismissively.

So right out of the gate you deflect. Again.

Of course MAGA doesn't have a freaking thing to do with any of this no matter how hard you try to spin that somehow it is MAGA's fault. Ridiculous nonsense.

The idea of a party that excludes solely on race is racist.

Stick that in some liberals heads.

But I admire the levels of hypocrisy on display.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.7  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.6    10 months ago

Only-if you say so. /s

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.2.7    10 months ago
Only-if you say so.

And I do!

Good talk!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2.9  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  CB @1.2    10 months ago
This mayor's perceived 'folly' has not a damn thing to do with democrats as a group.

That may be true, if it didn't come from Democrats.

But like a 'good' MAGA republican-'somebody' could not resist painting with a 

DEFLECTOR SHIELDS UP AND FULL POWER!!!!!!!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Sparty On  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.2.9    10 months ago

Hull plating at 100% …..

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.11  CB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.2.9    10 months ago

Keep telling yourself anything that gets you through the day; I don't buy into BS.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.2.11    10 months ago
Keep telling yourself anything that gets you through the day; I don't buy into BS.

No, but you always do manage to deflect so you can get your licks in about conservatives who you imagine wield immense powers despite the fact Democrats are in control.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.12    10 months ago
conservatives who you imagine wield immense powers despite the fact Democrats are in control.

He may hold them responsible for every thing that has gone wrong in life.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.2.14  Snuffy  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.2.13    10 months ago

Isn't that what is also called a professional victim?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @1.2.14    10 months ago

Professional victimhood requires diligent adherence to the guiding principal of:

"You have offended me greatly in some way, and I don't know how to handle it, so I will whine and blame others for whatever befalls me".

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.16  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.15    10 months ago
Professional victimhood requires diligent adherence to the guiding principal of:

Palestinians have held refugee status for 75 years, can’t get more professional than that.  On the other hand, they don’t have to revel in their abandon:

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.17  Jasper2529  replied to  CB @1.2    10 months ago

Is that Hunter on crack "painting" one of his $500,000 art works? lol  /sarc 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.2.18  Gazoo  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.17    10 months ago

Lmao!

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.19  CB  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.17    10 months ago

One could be excused for thinking MAGA would recognize Hunter Biden on sight.  :)  That said, if you want it to be HUNTER then for you—let it be!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.20  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.2.19    10 months ago

If it isn’t Hunter, who is it and why did you post it?

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.21  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.2.20    10 months ago

It's some guy somwhere demonstrating painting with a "broad brush"  and I liked it so I chose to post it. Of course, NONE of that matters to MAGA anyway, right? I am surprised you 'cared' enough to ask! Moreover, it's three days old now.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.22  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.2.21    10 months ago
It's some guy somwhere demonstrating painting with a "broad brush"  

Looks more like a towel to me.

Of course, NONE of that matters to MAGA anyway, right?

I don't know what matters to MAGA anyway.

I am surprised you 'cared' enough to ask!

Life is full of surprises.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.23  Jasper2529  replied to  CB @1.2.19    10 months ago

I'll let you in on a little secret. If you were trying to insult me by calling me "MAGA", you failed, because I'm not MAGA. Another little secret --- those who are MAGA don't get insulted by the radical left's immature name-calling. ROFL!

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.24  CB  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.23    10 months ago

Whatever. You might as well be.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.25  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.23    10 months ago

Insults are a weak argument's best friends.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.26  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.2.24    10 months ago
You might as well be.

Because you say so?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.27  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.26    10 months ago

Obviously. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.28  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.25    10 months ago

That's why Biden and his left wing sycophants (including media) use it on a daily basis.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    10 months ago

“I did send that to everyone by accident, and I apologize if my email may have offended or came across as so,” the aide added.

Let's see how many of those who were outraged 2 weeks ago when a Native American boy wore a headdress to a football game and accused him of wearing "black face," come rushing in now to signal their sense of right & wrong.  I have a hunch we won't hear from any of them.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    10 months ago

Bazinga!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    10 months ago

This is what the current Boston neighborhoods elected.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4  Right Down the Center    10 months ago

Racism is alive and well in Boston.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     10 months ago
“Mayor Wu is NOT dreaming of a white Christmas. And she will NOT be serving white wine tonight. Or white-meat chicken. No palefaces invited to Parkman House powwow!” New England radio host Howie Carr joked on X.

LOL, since Mayor Wu is Asian it seems strange that the author of the comment use the antiquated word (paleface) and throw in a Pow Wow for good measure, were we Indians involved in this as well?

BTW, Boston has always been racist, it was people of color that were not invited to Christmas parties in the past.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @5    10 months ago
LOL, since Mayor Wu is Asian it seems strange that the author of the comment use the antiquated word (paleface) and throw in a Pow Wow for good measure, were we Indians involved in this as well?

No, it wasn't the author. Those were the words of Howie Carr.

BTW, Boston has always been racist, it was people of color that were not invited to Christmas parties in the past.

What Christmas parties?

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1    10 months ago
No, it wasn't the author. Those were the words of Howie Carr.

I said the author of the comment that I posted, you know palefaces and Pow Wow's

What Christmas parties?

Are you trying to ignore that Boston has a well-earned rep as having been a very racist city? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @5.1.1    10 months ago
I said the author of the comment that I posted,

It appeared that you were referring to the author of the article: Ryan King. You know I'll always give you the benefit of the doubt.

Are you trying to ignore that Boston has a well-earned rep as having been a very racist city? 

I asked about your reference to Christmas parties. Boston's history involved ethnic discrimination, unless you are talking about the busing issue during the 70's in which both black and white were unhappy. I saw it all.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @5.1.1    10 months ago

Agree, across a number of metrics, this deeply blue city has been a very racist city for several centuries to this day.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.2    10 months ago
I saw it all.

If you saw it all then you know what I'm talking about and it isn't just ethnic discrimination. I have a BIL who was born and raised in the North End and you can bet that no people of color were ever invited to any type of party there, Christmas or not. He hasn't changed over all the years. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @5.1.4    10 months ago

I have no idea why anyone would invite strangers to a Christmas party. Your BIL was born and raised in the smallest & safest of Boston neighborhoods. Unlike other cities that black people went to during the great black migration, Boston had another attraction for blacks other than just jobs. Boston had been a center of the abolitionist movement. Many major northern cities were forever altered by the great migration of blacks seeking jobs & freedom. In the case of Boston, the most import and lasting alteration came as a result of a potato famine in Ireland.  If you're point is that there was discrimination in Boston like everywhere else, there certainly was. The larger problem for Boston, as I said, was ethnic discrimination involving immigrant groups.

In the meantime, you have taken us away from the point of the article, which is modern day discrimination against whites.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.5    10 months ago
I have no idea why anyone would invite strangers to a Christmas party. 

LOL, of course you don't but you are aware that there are corporate, company Christmas parties right? In fact isn't that what this article is about?

In the meantime, you have taken us away from the point of the article, which is modern day discrimination against whites.

Oh my, that is a huge problem in today's America. I'll stand by and wait to hear your stories of discrimination against you and other whites. 

Carry on.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @5.1.6    10 months ago

I fail to see your point.    Unless of course you are trying to rationalize that racism today is justified by racism in the past …… which would just be silly.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @5.1.6    10 months ago
Oh my, that is a huge problem in today's America.

You missed your time. Those you want to speak for are now the privileged.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.7    10 months ago
 Unless of course you are trying to rationalize that racism today is justified by racism in the past …… which would just be silly.

Isn't that one of the more useless tactics employed by those who full-heartedly endorse racism now against whites?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.9    10 months ago

Yep and push it hard enough and it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.    Good people are starting to get fed up with that type of hate speech.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @5.1.7    10 months ago

What is silly is the seeder claim of racism against whites being a big problem today.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.8    10 months ago
You missed your time. Those you want to speak for are now the privileged.

You must be missing your time which was what, the 50s?

I'm still waiting for your response about all the times that you have been subject to racism.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @5.1.11    10 months ago

Nah, silly would be if we flipped the script.    A white mayor calling for a whites only committee meeting and the left would be going absolutely ape shit right now.

You know it, I know it and the American people know it.

And yet, some folks here are still attempting to somehow justify this mayors actions instead of admonishing them.   Silly, so very silly …..

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @5.1.11    10 months ago

where is that?

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.15  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @5.1.13    10 months ago

Yes, silly is claiming that whites are subject to racism today. A mayor having a party without inviting whites is silly or stupid but to try and sell that as a major racist move is still silly.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @5.1.15    10 months ago

Nah, the operant point here was made in 5.1.13 above.    Do you deny that would happen?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @5.1.15    10 months ago

If it was a party for whites only, would you be so cavalier about it?

I suspect absolutely not.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.18  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @5.1.15    10 months ago
silly is claiming that whites are subject to racism today.

As a Mayor excludes white people from a government supported function...

I admire your commitment to ignore what words mean. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.19  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @5.1.12    10 months ago

The topic here is racism against whites. You chose to defend it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.20  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.19    10 months ago
The topic here is racism against whites. You chose to defend it.

Are you going to tell me about all of the times that you experienced racism against you because you're white? 

I didn't defend it, I said what she did was silly and stupid but to think that not being invited to a Christmas party because they are white is a massive racist movement is silly. 

If you want a real taste of racism try being a minority for a while, Vic then you learn that not being invited to a Christmas party isn't so horrible. 

In the 1990s in Cheesehead country we were involved in exercising our fishing rights and gee what do you think happened. First off we were shot at, then they tried to sink our boats, then the whites would try to trap us alone of just a few of us, you know it was time to ''whip a Redskin''. Oh, and the signs were just as racist as could be...''Save a fish spear a squaw''. ''Save two fish spear a pregnant squaw''. 

Or the greeting, ''Hey Timber Nigger'' now whose things are real racism because in addition to the insults we were always in physical danger. 

I could give you more that put this to shame as child play but let me give you give a few more.

I would walk down the street tomorrow in the area of northern MN and will guarantee that someone or more will pass in a car and holler out ''hey redskin go back to the rez where you belong''...

So you just keep on whining about not being invited to a Christmas party.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.1.21  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.19    10 months ago

“The topic here is racism against whites.”

Racism is a plague upon all of humanity.  

Rather than focus on the anecdotal, we need to acknowledge the systemic. 

Went to an elementary school Xmas concert just last night and was struck by the obvious friendship and joy the kids shared. Sadly, that will change. Racism is learned.

The only way to effectively change the learned behavior is to first acknowledge it exists. Then to rigorously teach our shared history in a truthful way. And finally, to instill a sense of empathy for those that may look differently, speak differently, or worship differently.

It is collectively on us, not separately. We should learn a thing or three from our children. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.22  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1.21    10 months ago
acism is a plague upon all of humanity.

Agreed.

er than focus on the anecdotal, we need to acknowledge the systemic. 

Right.  Governmental racist discrimination (affirmative action, DEI programs) is particularly pernicious. Let's stop discrimination on the basis of race. Race based discrimination  only perpetuates the primacy of  based based identities, and the racism that flows from that. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.23  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.19    10 months ago
The topic here is racism against whites

who convinced you that you were white?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.24  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @5.1.23    10 months ago
who convinced you that you were white?

Isn't self-identification enough?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.25  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.24    10 months ago

And yet, everyone everywhere is pink on the inside...

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.26  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.22    10 months ago
Governmental racist discrimination (affirmative action, DEI programs) is particularly pernicious. Let's stop discrimination on the basis of race. Race based discrimination  only perpetuates the primacy of  based based identities, and the racism that flows from that.

Wow. And there you have it in the proverbial nutshell from MAGA-land: The "majority" desires to give nothing, ABSOLUTELY nothing for the betterment of mankind or those who are OPPRESSED in the so-called land of "freedom, rights, and privileges" - they won't help, they won't aid, they won't release. Indeed, they would rather tear down all the democracy processes and just go for what they used to call "anathema" if it means they get to stay in charge of the country and all Others here can be secondary to their purposes.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.27  CB  replied to  JBB @5.1.25    10 months ago

And that fact alone is the single most beautiful thing about all of us. Because it's what really counts in the scheme of building community. That said, it can not and shall not be EXPLOIT'D by unscrupulous think-tanks and the like which try to gaslight society to accept a notion that pretending race is a non-issue and a non-sequitar despite the actions of some in positions of power in this country!

We will talk about the SICKNESS of RACISM until it is eliminated from humanity and then some more so that it squarely understands it can not come back once 'send packing.'

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  CB @5.1.27    10 months ago

We can never be rid of racism by justifying racism today.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.29  Texan1211  replied to  CB @5.1.26    10 months ago

Where do these mythical people reside who hold so much power even when not elected to office?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.30  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.28    10 months ago

Good luck getting our friends on the left to make that connection

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.31  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @5.1.26    10 months ago

Lots of words to say that you support the government discriminating on the basis of race.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.32  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.31    10 months ago
Lots of words to say that you support the government discriminating on the basis of race.

What can one truly expect from folks who think "fighting racism" means being racist?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.33  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.30    10 months ago
Good luck getting our friends on the left to make that connection

I know, I keep hoping one day they can see the light.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.34  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @5.1.25    10 months ago

And yet, everyone everywhere is pink on the inside...

Vajajays are regardless of the continent of birth.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.35  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.28    10 months ago

And only MAGA would twist my comment to state such a ridiculous justification. But, carry on its what MAGA does here.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.36  CB  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.30    10 months ago

It must be nice living in a perfected state of MAGA separation from reality, but I wouldn't dare wish to share in such a delusion. I wish to feel something real even when it hurts so bad emotionally, spiritually, and even physically.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.37  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.31    10 months ago

Well, unfortunately for you this is not the black and white 'world' of MAGA imagination, because COLOR abounds here.—including the familiar 'grays.' 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.38  Sparty On  replied to  CB @5.1.36    10 months ago

Yes, we’ve stopped expecting our narcissistic friends on the left to be self aware enough to make the connection.

Nothing new unfortunately ……

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.39  CB  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.38    10 months ago

Self-awareness is easy, doing something about it when found in the wrong is harder. MAGA is wrong, but unwilling to do the hard work to be right with the rest of the 'community.' (We are not now or ever going to be MAGAs.)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.40  Sparty On  replied to  CB @5.1.39    10 months ago

The incessant labeling at play here by some speaks for itself when related the implied “self awareness” they claim to possess. 

And once again the inmates are trying to run the asylum …..

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.41  CB  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.40    10 months ago

Example: A 'member' unwilling to lift a 'finger' to help make life better for all in the country. . .even from a 'keyboard.'  MAGAs are here to spread misery and division day in and night throughout!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.42  Texan1211  replied to  CB @5.1.41    10 months ago
Example: A 'member' unwilling to lift a 'finger' to help make life better for all in the country. . .even from a 'keyboard.'  MAGAs are here to spread misery and division day in and night throughout!

Can you provide an example of how much better life is in the country because of your posts?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.43  Texan1211  replied to  CB @5.1.35    10 months ago
And only MAGA would twist my comment to state such a ridiculous justification

Well, let me know what MAGA has to say about it, will ya?

No one twisted anything.

If you don't want your posts "misinterpreted", be clearer so everyone knows what it is you are attempting to convey.

What I have gleaned from your posts here is MAGA, MAGA, MAGA and precious little else.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
5.1.44  Gazoo  replied to  CB @5.1.41    10 months ago

Example: A 'member' unwilling to lift a 'finger' to help make life better for all in the country.”

After reading that line i thought you were talking about biden.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.45  Sparty On  replied to  CB @5.1.41    10 months ago

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.46  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.42    10 months ago

It would not make MAGA better, so no I won't waste time sharing myself.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.47  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.43    10 months ago

You are not here to glean anything positive about liberals, Texan.  So I won't be pitching anything to that end in your direction. And, I'm not sorry about that!

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.48  CB  replied to  Gazoo @5.1.44    10 months ago

Nope. You thought no such thing. Stop being untruthful. Just admit to being snarky.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.49  CB  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.45    10 months ago

He chanted!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.50  Texan1211  replied to  CB @5.1.47    10 months ago
You are not here to glean anything positive about liberals, Texan.

Damn straight, nor have I ever claimed to be here for that silly little reason.

Now, what does that have to do with anything I wrote to you?

So I won't be pitching anything to that end in your direction.

That's good news.

Now, anything at all related to my post?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.51  Texan1211  replied to  CB @5.1.46    10 months ago
It would not make MAGA better, so no I won't waste time sharing myself.

You sure seem obsessed with MAGA, as most of your comments indicate.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.52  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.51    10 months ago

In the interest of moving on. . . I am leaving this thread to you to do whatever it is you do (when others move on).  Bye.  It has not been a pleasure pretending to have a discussion about anything about this article or your 'concerns' with you.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.53  Sparty On  replied to  CB @5.1.49    10 months ago

Ah yes, the old Peewee Herman “ I know you are but what am I gambit”

Another demonstration of the fine debating skills of our friends on the left.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.54  Sparty On  replied to  CB @5.1.52    10 months ago

So nice of you to give him your permission.

You’re the best CB ….. the best ….

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.55  Texan1211  replied to  CB @5.1.52    10 months ago
In the interest of moving on. .

Heard it all before. 

Next.

I am leaving this thread to you to do whatever it is you do

Thank you, I will continue to write clearly and precisely, all while trying to decipher some posts.

It has not been a pleasure pretending to have a discussion

I humbly suggest you stop pretending then and start discussing.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.56  CB  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.53    10 months ago

Your insults have no value with me.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @5    10 months ago

So, in your mind, there is nothing wrong with excluding a group based on their skin color or ethnicity?  

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.2    10 months ago
So, in your mind, there is nothing wrong with excluding a group based on their skin color or ethnicity?  

There you go again, making assumptions again. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @5.2.1    10 months ago

You should really learn how punctuation works in grammar.  You didn't see the question mark at the end of the sentence?  I looks like this -

that means I'm asking you a question.  So, again, So, in your mind, there is nothing wrong with excluding a group based on their skin color or ethnicity?

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.2.2    10 months ago
You should really learn how punctuation works in grammar.  You didn't see the question mark at the end of the sentence?  I looks like this -

Thank you so much for your explanation of grammar and the English language.

Anyhow, yes there is something wrong with it, and in my experience and from a historical US perspective it was been whites doing the excluding. I hope that answers your question.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @5.2.3    10 months ago
I hope that answers your question.

It does.  You are perfectly fine with excluding a group based on their skin color or ethnicity (racism).  

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.2.4    10 months ago
It does.  You are perfectly fine with excluding a group based on their skin color or ethnicity (racism).  

Not at all, but you seem to be stuck on fulfilling your own assumptions which brings us back to my first comment to you. 

Carry on your position is established and to no ones surprise.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.2.6  evilone  replied to  Kavika @5.2.5    10 months ago

Where's that "woke multicultural marxism" when their own group is being excluded?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2.7  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @5.2.5    10 months ago

Not at all, but you seem to be stuck on fulfilling your own assumptions which brings us back to my first comment to you. 

My comment is based on YOUR statements.  As contradictory as they are.  Are you confused about what you want to support?  

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.8  Kavika   replied to  evilone @5.2.6    10 months ago
Where's that "woke multicultural marxism" when their own group is being excluded?

I can't post the real answer to that...LOL

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.9  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.2.7    10 months ago
My comment is based on YOUR statements.  As contradictory as they are.  Are you confused about what you want to support?  

Your comments are based on your assumption of what my comments mean and is off base as usual. Not that that is surprising.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2.10  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @5.2.6    10 months ago

This is a fine example of that. Do you not understand it? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    10 months ago
the Elected Officials of Color has been around for more than a decade

I don’t care how long they’ve been doing it. It’s a dumb idea.

We make space and spaces for all kinds of specific groups

That’s not what this is. This is an event that explicitly and specifically excludes only one group. Having a party just for African Americans, or Natives, or women, or seniors, etc. would be one thing. That could be to lift a group of people that had historically been marginalized. I get why you might do that, but I still think you should invite white people to be part of the celebration.

This is different. This event is for everyone except white people. That’s obnoxious.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7  Greg Jones    10 months ago

Just another example of Black privilege

MrFrost
Professor Guide
7.1  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @7    10 months ago

Just another example of Black privilege

Poor oppressed white people. 

/s

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8  Drinker of the Wry    10 months ago
“Your email should not offend anyone, and there is absolutely no confusion,” Councilor Tania Fernandes Anderson, a black woman, told DosSantos in an email also shared with her colleagues. “Just like there are groups that meet based on shared interests or cultural backgrounds, it’s completely natural for elected officials of color to gather for a holiday celebration. Many groups celebrate and come together in various ways, and it’s not about excluding anyone. Instead, it’s about creating spaces for like-minded individuals to connect and support each other.”

Exactly, the "cultural background" and "like-mindedness" between Asian Americans and Black Americans is virtually identical.

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8    10 months ago

Describe the cultural background of the Boston elites, The Boston Brahmans, who historically had all the political powers in Boston...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @8.1    10 months ago
Boston Brahmans
They were of good old Boston,
The home of the bean and the cod,
Where the Lowells talk only to Cabots,
And the Cabots talk only to God.

They still exist, somewhat, but their accent, itself distinct from the typical “Boston accent” has nearly become extinct. By the seventies it had begun to fade, making it more noticed when spoken - something to be avoided by a Brahmin unless to another Brahman. 

The Old Brahmans eventually moved out to Lexington, Wellesley, Dover, and Concord. The only Brahmin enclave still around is on Beacon Hill,  near the Mass State House, but even there it's been watered down by the nouveau riche

This is the Boston that I remember:
I'm gonna tell you a story
I'm gonna tell you about my town
I'm gonna tell you a big fat story, baby
Aw, it's all about my town
Yeah, down by the river
Down by the banks of the river Charles
Aw, that's what's happenin', baby
That's where you'll find me
Along with lovers, muggers, and thieves
Aw, but they're cool, too
Well, I love that dirty water
Oh, Boston, you're my home
Oh, you're the number one place
Frustrated women (I mean they're frustrated)
Have to be in by 12 o'clock (oh, that's a shame)
But I'm wishin' and a-hopin', oh
That just once those doors weren't locked
I like to save time for my baby to walk around
Well, I love that dirty water
Oh, Boston, you're my home, oh, yeah
'Cause I love that dirty water
Ooh, oh, Boston, you're my home, oh, yeah
Well, I love that dirty water (I love it, baby)
I love that dirty water (I love Boston)
I love that dirty water (have you heard about the strangler?)
I love that dirty water (I'm the man, I'm the man)
I love that dirty water (oww)
I love that dirty water (come on, come on)
I love that dirty water (come on)
I love that dirty...

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
8.1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.1.1    10 months ago

First song I ever learned on Guitar.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.1.2    10 months ago

Good choice.  Dirty Water was their biggest hit and yet none of the Standells had ever been to Boston before that.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9  Sparty On    10 months ago

Democrat.

The party of labeling and exclusion.

Classic.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
10  Jeremy Retired in NC    10 months ago