╌>

Dozens killed in Gaza as Israeli forces expand offensive

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  10 months ago  •  14 comments

Dozens killed in Gaza as Israeli forces expand offensive

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

I sraeli forces pounded Gaza with a series of air strikes overnight into Thursday morning, killing dozens of people as Israel looks to expand its ground offensive against Hamas.

The air strikes hit a series of homes and buildings across Gaza, including in the northern town of Beit Lahiyeh where at least 21 people, including women and children, were buried,   The Associated Press reported,

Bassel Kheir al-Din, a journalist with a local TV station, told the AP a strike crushed his home and damaged three nearby homes. Al-Din said 12 members of his family, including three children, were buried and presumed dead while nine neighbors were missing.

In the town of Deir al-Balah in central Gaza, one hospital received the bodies of 25 people killed overnight, including five children and seven women, the AP reported, citing hospital records.

Residents told the AP that Israeli strikes and artillery hit around the Bureij and Nuseirat refugee camps in central Gaza, with one resident saying thousands have fled their homes recently in the wake of Israel’s bombardment.

An estimated 1.9 million residents in Gaza — 85 percent of its population — have been displaced since Hamas’s Oct. 7 attack, according to United Nations officials.

The strikes come a day after a top Israeli official said   the war could stretch on   for “many more months.” Herzi Halevi, chief of the general staff for the Israeli military, added “there are no magic solutions or shortcuts.”

Israel has pledged to eliminate the threat and rule of Hamas in Gaza following the militant group’s assault into southern Israel that killed an estimated 1,200 people, while the Biden administration has   urged it to transition   to more targeted, “lower-intensity” operations.

The bombardment of the coastal enclave comes as Israel largely resists calls from around the world for a lengthier cease-fire amid Gaza’s climbing death toll. More than 20,000 Palestinians have been killed since early October, according to the Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday reportedly told members of his Likud Party he is focused on moving forward with Israel’s offensive.

“We are expanding the fight in the coming days, and this will be a long battle, and it isn’t close to finished,”   he said Monday

The Associated Press contributed.

LINK TO ORIGINAL ARTICLE: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/dozens-killed-in-gaza-as-israeli-forces-expand-offensive/ar-AA1m9JxZ?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=4e7e490f169b40c1ac10d3e02d626050&ei=13

Red Box Rules

OFF-TOPIC COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT WARNING.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     10 months ago

The front with Hezbollah is heating up as well with daily artillery exchanges between Hezbollah and Israel.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1  evilone  replied to  Kavika @1    10 months ago

Life in the West Bank has also turned to shit.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  evilone @1.1    10 months ago
Life in the West Bank has also turned to shit.

It sure has with killing and expulsions happening on a regular basis.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1.1.1    10 months ago

I don't know about you, but if a bunch of religious fanatics burned my house down, poisoned my olive trees, killed all my sheep, stole my land, and killed or imprisoned my family members, I'd spend every remaining waking hour of my life blowing their pious asses away. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    10 months ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.3    10 months ago

[deleted]

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    10 months ago

[deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.6  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    10 months ago

IMO, Israel is creating more terrorists with the way they are dealing with the West Bank.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.7  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1.1.6    10 months ago

there's big money to be made for the very few in the war biz...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Kavika @1    10 months ago

Hezbollah doesn't care. Israel will take their frustrations out on the Lebanese military like last time for not doing anything.

Israel’s military has repeatedly attacked the US-backed Lebanese army to the north over the past two months, prompting alarm in the   Biden administration   and sharp rebukes from top US officials to Israeli leadership.

The Israelis have struck Lebanese Armed Forces positions more than 34 times since October 7, including with small arms and artillery fire, drones and helicopters, according to US officials, a regional security source, and a list of the incidents compiled by the US and reviewed by CNN.

The Biden administration has told Israel that the strikes are unacceptable, officials said. One senior US official said that the US believes at least some of those strikes have been accidental, intended instead for the powerful Shiite Lebanese militant group Hezbollah which also operates along the Lebanon-Israel border and has been hitting Israeli military positions. But the intention of other strikes has been less clear, the official said, and more junior Israeli troops may not be exercising enough restraint.

But the scope of the incidents, which has not been previously reported, has frustrated US officials because the US believes the LAF will need to be part of any eventual diplomatic solution between Israel and Lebanon to quiet the current violence. The US is also deeply concerned that the conflict between Israel and Hamas in Gaza could expand to the north, and US officials have been working with Israel and Lebanon to try to contain the war.

Like a military that is more poorly equipped than a NY SWAT team could do anything to Hezbollah. Part of the problems with Israel keeping their neighbors intentionally weak; with US backing.

We should be arming the Lebanese military so they can defend themselves from Hezbollah and Israel. But first cut off all aid to Israel- since they won't listen to us then they can go it alone. They obviously don't need US tax payer money or our weaponry. We will also promise them that if they use nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons we will respond in kind. If that threat is good enough for Russia and Iran- it should be good enough for Israel.

Time for the US to pick our allies better. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Ronin2 @1.2    10 months ago

The situation with the Lebanese army is a real problem, they are between a rock and a hard place with little support.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1.2.1    10 months ago

hezbollah already occupies much of southern lebanon and east beirut. lebanon has capitulated to hezbollah long ago because they're weak. we should take advantage of the circumstances and carve out some acreage equal to the size of gaza and more from the countries on the north israeli border in a connecting land bridge from the west bank to the sea. evict all illegal settlements in gaza intact. relocate those west bank settlers to north gaza, forcibly if need be. make palestine the buffer between hezbollah and israel. hamas and hezbollah will probably be too busy killing each other by then to worry much about israel, since there will be a lot less terrorist financing to go around. 

that plan doesn't accomplish the eradication of the religious wackos in the region that are creating the overall problems as expeditiously as I would like, but I'm willing to compromise.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @1    10 months ago

Ah, hell....just what is needed in the ME right now

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    10 months ago

I heard on tv this morning that the Israeli offensive in Gaza will last many more months. This is Netanyahu's plan to stay in office and out of jail.