╌>

3 things to know ahead of a potential East Coast winter storm this weekend

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 months ago  •  26 comments

By:   Kathryn Prociv

3 things to know ahead of a potential East Coast winter storm this weekend
A winter storm is forecast to hit much of the country through the first two weeks of the year. Learn more about who could be affected by unfavorable weather conditions.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

New year, new weather pattern.After a record-warm month of December for much of the U.S., January will be a different story, with a colder and more active weather pattern set to hit a large swath of the country through the first two weeks of the year.

This includes Washington, D.C.; Philadelphia; and New York City, which could be looking at their first significant winter storm potential in two years.

A potential storm system would affect eastern areas including the mid-Atlantic, Northeast and New England from Saturday to Monday. With the potential weekend winter storm still several days away, here are three things to know ahead of it.

It's been a while since it snowed more than 1 inch in the big cities

As a whole, 2023 was a record-setting low snow year for nearly the entire I-95 corridor from Richmond, Virginia, to New York City.

New York picked up just 2.3 inches of snow all last season — a new record low. It also broke the record for latest first measurable snow, not seeing any snow until February. This was the first time Central Park failed to pick up any snow during December or January in a winter season.

New York is just one of a roster of cities in the midst of their longest streaks of not seeing 1 inch or more of snow in a 24-hour period.

New York City (687 days), Philadelphia (702 days) and Baltimore (703 days) are all having their longest streak of consecutive days without more than 1 inch of snow on record. Washington, D.C., (713 days) and Richmond (715 days) are sitting at their second-longest streaks.

A significant storm is likely, but it's too early to predict exact snowfall totals

A significant storm is likely, but it's too early to predict exact snowfall totals. The track of the storm will determine where the rain and snow line sets up and what locations see all snow, all rain or a mix of both (including the potential for some ice).

With temperatures expected to be right around freezing, it is looking likely that what snow falls will be heavy and wet in nature as opposed to light and fluffy.

The best accumulating snow potential is north and west of the I-95 corridor

The I-95 corridor is likely to be near or located right on the rain and snow dividing line depending on the track of the storm.

This could mean that areas north and west of the urban corridor like Hagerstown, Maryland; Allentown, Pennsylvania; Poughkeepsie, New York; and Worcester, Massachusetts, could see accumulating snow, while the I-95 cities like Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston could see lighter accumulations, a mix of rain and snow, or predominantly wet roadways.

As of Monday night's forecast models, I-95 cities like Washington, Philadelphia and New York had approximately a 60%-80% chance of seeing at least 1 inch of snow.

By contrast, more interior Northeast cities had a 70%-90% chance of seeing at least 1 inch of snow.

The odds for I-95 cities versus interior Northeast cities get even more spread out when looking at the potential for at least 6 inches of snow. The I-95 corridor cities had just a 10%-30% chance of seeing half a foot of snow, and the interior Northeast cities were closer to a 40%-60% chance.

It's not just the East Coast looking at a stormy start to 2024.

Out west, 2024 is picking up right where 2023 left off, with a parade of Pacific storms bringing rain, mountain snow and more battering waves to that region.

On Tuesday, high surf advisories for coastal areas and winter alerts for the Sierra were in effect.

High surf advisories are in effect through Wednesday and into Thursday from the Bay Area stretching down to Southern California. Across these areas, large waves are forecast to batter parts of the West Coast and could lead to some coastal flooding for vulnerable areas.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1  Trout Giggles    4 months ago

Stay inside. Get drunk. Read books

that's the 3 things you need to know

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    4 months ago

Here in the land of OZ we have yet to experience winter.

Had one day of snow and it all melted the next day.

Have yet to push the 4x4 lock button on my Tacoma.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  cjcold @1.1    4 months ago

I say it's a good thing. I hate winter and snow

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.1    4 months ago

Back when I had functioning knees I loved to ski.

Black diamond slopes were fun.

I miss being young.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  mocowgirl  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.1    4 months ago
I hate winter and snow

Me, too.

However, some people seem to find it swimming weather. 

(There are pictures in the article below.)

Temperatures fell below minus 40 degrees Celsius in the Nordic region for a second day in a row Wednesday, with the coldest January temperature recorded in   Sweden   in 25 years.

In Kvikkjokk-Årrenjarka in Swedish Lapland, the mercury dropped to minus 43.6C (minus 46.5 F), the coldest temperature in the country in January since 1999, Sweden's TT news agency reported.

The cold front is expected to move south over the next few days, with the Finnish capital Helsinki already seeing temperatures falling to minus 15C on Wednesday.

But despite colder temperatures being expected tomorrow, some of the capital's residents were unfazed by the prospect.

'I'm really loving it. It's a mindset thing I guess,' Katja, a woman in Helsinki, told AFP news agency on Wednesday.

'It's all about the clothing,' she said, wearing a thick black winter jacket with the hood pulled over her head.

'Yeah, just a lot of clothes and the attitude - Like it's going to be cold but it's beautiful,' her friend Nita agreed as snow fell.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  cjcold @1.1.2    4 months ago

I used to ski a lot. Mr Giggles says I'm never getting on skis again. He's a killjoy

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  mocowgirl @1.1.3    4 months ago

There's no accounting for crazy

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  cjcold  replied to  mocowgirl @1.1.3    4 months ago

Wearing an insulated base layer under ski pants a hooded sweatshirt and a winter ski jacket and don't even plan on leaving the house. Just tried on my insulated Baffin snow boots in case a trip to the mailbox becomes necessary.

Winter has finally arrived today with a couple inches of snow so far and cold temps.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  mocowgirl  replied to  cjcold @1.1.6    4 months ago
Wearing an insulated base layer under ski pants a hooded sweatshirt and a winter ski jacket and don't even plan on leaving the house. Just tried on my insulated Baffin snow boots in case a trip to the mailbox becomes necessary.

Wow!  Good luck!

I have lived in houses that kind of gear was almost necessary in the winter.  

These days I am fortunate to live in a fairly well insulated home and have a wood stove for heat.

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.2  charger 383  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    4 months ago
"Stay inside. Get drunk. Read books that's the 3 things you need to know"

That is best way to deal with a snowstorm

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @1.2    4 months ago

jrSmiley_124_smiley_image.gif

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2  Right Down the Center    4 months ago

In upstate NY (about a mile from Lake Ontario) if you don't get more than a foot(or 2) in 24 hours it is pretty much business as usual.  Get the snowblowers. snow mobiles ready and have some outdoor fun.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    4 months ago

The easy coast based news shows, such as the Today Show, spend an awful lot of time devoted to east coast weather events. In sports reporting, they call that east coast bias. 

Most parts of the country have bad weather. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @3    4 months ago

We have sunshine and 59 degrees

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    4 months ago
We have sunshine and 59 degrees

for now

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    4 months ago

So AGW can be a good thing?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    4 months ago

You are correct, Sir. Arkansas weather can turn on a dime

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  cjcold @3.1.2    4 months ago

I'm not answering that

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4  Gordy327    4 months ago

What's to know? There will be snow, cold, and shoveling. That's pretty much the same for any winter storm. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1  Snuffy  replied to  Gordy327 @4    4 months ago

And that's why I moved to Arizona oh so many years ago. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever died of a heart attack from shoveling sunshine out of their driveway.

evilone
Professor Guide
5  evilone    4 months ago

Currently we have less than a half inch of snow. Up until now it's been unseasonably warm. This new system is only expected to drop about an inch or 2 here from Friday afternoon into Sunday morning. The rest of you stay warm and stay safe.

In other weather related news - 

Just before 5 p.m. local time, 122 people were reported stranded on the ice floe in Upper Red Lake after it broke apart from the main ice, Beltrami County Sheriff Jason Riggs said in a news release provided to CBS News. He said there were about 30 feet of open water separating the ice floe from shore. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @5    4 months ago

I remember when snow was measured in feet not inches

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.1  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1    4 months ago

We also have a record lowest amount of ice on the Great Lakes right now. Less than a half percent of the lakes have ice. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     4 months ago

I'm predicting 0 inches of snow for the next century in Ocala, FL.

Although the next four to five days are going to be unseasonably cold.

Wed
65°
51°
Thu
61°
43°
Fri
70°
60°
Sat
72°
53°
Sun
64°
49°
Mon
67°
62°

I will be dressing accordingly in my new and improved ''fur-lined jockstrap'' and stylish Ugg boots to complement my boogie board shorts and semi tank top (also known as a jeep top).

Beach drinks will be served without ice due to the inclement weather. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @6    4 months ago

LOL!

shona1
PhD Quiet
6.2  shona1  replied to  Kavika @6    4 months ago

Morning...hope you are wearing your thongs... don't want something in your foot..😁😁