╌>

Pentagon waited three days to inform White House that the defense secretary was hospitalized in ICU

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  9 months ago  •  11 comments

Pentagon waited three days to inform White House that the defense secretary was hospitalized in ICU

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON — Amid tensions in the Middle East, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin was hospitalized, including spending four days in the intensive care unit, according to two senior administration officials.

The Pentagon did not inform senior officials in the White House’s National Security Council of Austin’s hospitalization until Thursday — three days after he arrived at Walter Reed Medical Center, a U.S. official confirms. Politico first reported the delay.

Austin released a statement Saturday taking responsibility for not disclosing his condition sooner.

"I am very glad to be on the mend and look forward to returning to the Pentagon soon. I also understand the media concerns about transparency and I recognize I could have done a better job ensuring the public was appropriately informed. I commit to doing better," Austin said. "But this is important to say: this was my medical procedure, and I take full responsibility for my decisions about disclosure.”

Austin was not able to perform his duties since New Year's Day, a senior defense official said Friday. Pentagon press secretary Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder told NBC News that Austin “resumed his full duties” on Friday evening.

Austin remained hospitalized Saturday. It was unclear when he would be released, the source said. Details about what ailed him were unavailable.

Austin was admitted to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Monday night for “complications following a recent elective medical procedure,” Ryder said in a statement Friday evening.

Pentagon officials will not disclose what the procedure was or when it occurred. They also refuse to provide any details about how serious Austin’s condition was this week.

Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks, who was on leave, has picked up his duties, the senior defense official said.

Hicks was on pre-scheduled leave when Austin was hospitalized this week, according to a defense official. She has been on vacation in Puerto Rico, the official said.

She “has maintained full communication with the DOD staff throughout,” the official said. “She has monitored DOD’s day-to-day operations and conducted some routine business.”

The third in line among Pentagon civilian leadership, the office of the under secretary of defense for policy, is occupied temporarily as an acting position because nominee Derek Chollet has not been confirmed by the U.S. Senate, the source said.   Sasha Baker   has been acting in the role since last summer.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    9 months ago

What kind of a clown show is Biden running? With American troops under attack on an almost daily basis the Secretary of Defense disappears in the hospital and doesn't tell the President or anyone at the white house anything for three  days, while delegating his authority to someone on vacation.  How can he possibly keep his job?  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    9 months ago

American troops under attack is "routine business" for this administration. 

"Don't piss Iran off" is their over riding motto.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2  Snuffy    9 months ago

Austin was hospitalized back on the 1st and is still there. The Pentagon is not providing any information on what is going on.

With today's standard of medical care one has to wonder what the hell is going on that he's still hospitalized. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Snuffy @2    9 months ago

It’s crazy.  They launched a retaliatory drone strike on the third without anyone at the White House or NSC knowing the secretary of defense was incapacitated.

it’s one thing for buttegig to take of four months and nobody noticing, but this is a position that should actually matter.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2  Snuffy  replied to  Snuffy @2    9 months ago

The Pentagon is now explaining the reason why the White House was not notified that Austin was in the hospital since Jan 1, his chief of staff was out sick with the flu.

The Pentagon revealed Monday  that the White House  was kept in the dark over Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin's intensive care unit hospital treatment for days due to his chief of staff having the flu.  White House left out of loop of SecDef Austin’s mystery hospitalization due to staffer having flu: Pentagon (foxnews.com)

Sorry, I'm not buying that at all. The military is really big on chain of command and who to contact when the chain of command is broken. Do they really mean to tell us that because Austin himself was in the hospital and his Chief of Staff was out sick that nobody bothered to step up and notify anybody? I mean, WTF???

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Snuffy @2.2    9 months ago

Agree, something isn’t right here. Neither the WH or his Dep knew that he was hospitalized until Thur, the day before they went public.

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    9 months ago

What kind of chain of command do we have now?  

With all the modern instant communications we have, the President doesn't know the Secretary of Defense is in ICU ?   

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  charger 383 @3    9 months ago

I don’t understand his negligence.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1    9 months ago

I do. There is zero accountability in the Brandon administration- and all of his staff and their underlings know it.

Brandon isn't the one in charge anyways. His handlers are; and they aren't the most competent bunch. They have to spend all their time hiding him from public; walking back his statements; and putting off their media lemmings. That doesn't leave them much time to account for things like where staff members are; and what they are doing.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  charger 383 @3    9 months ago
What kind of chain of command do we have now?  

It's called a shit show.  They've fucked everything up since day 1.

George
Junior Expert
4  George    9 months ago

And how were they able to do this? because the senile old fool has no idea what is going on in his administration.