╌>

Oklahoma City metro rattled by series of earthquakes

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  9 months ago  •  11 comments

By:   Jonathan Greco (KOCO)

Oklahoma City metro rattled by series of earthquakes
A series of earthquakes rattled the Oklahoma City metro on Friday night, with the largest being recorded as a 4.2 magnitude.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

KOCO 5 has received several emails and messages from people throughout the area saying they felt them.

Jonathan Greco Digital Media Manager A series of earthquakes shook the Oklahoma City metro on Friday night, with the largest being recorded as a 4.2 magnitude.Get the latest news stories of interest by clicking here.The U.S. Geological Survey reports that a 3.3-magnitude earthquake was recorded at 9:37 p.m. about 3 miles west of Arcadia. Less than 10 minutes later, a 4.2-magnitude quake rattled about 4 miles west of Arcadia, according to the USGS.A third earthquake of 2.7 magnitude was recorded at 9:53 p.m. near Arcadia. The USGS recorded more earthquakes shortly after 10 p.m. near Arcadia with magnitudes of 2.0, 2.6, 2.4 and 2.5, respectively.>> Download the KOCO 5 AppKOCO 5 has received several emails and messages from people throughout the area saying they felt them. Top Headlines Winter weather causes some Oklahoma schools to close, move to remote learning Friday Arctic air brings coldest morning of winter so far in Oklahoma A year of great television shows: Here are the 2023 Emmy predictions Oklahoma doctors issue warnings ahead of arctic blast Oklahomans make last-minute purchases for snow supplies before winter weather moves in ARCADIA, Okla. —

A series of earthquakes shook the Oklahoma City metro on Friday night, with the largest being recorded as a 4.2 magnitude.

The U.S. Geological Survey reports that a 3.3-magnitude earthquake was recorded at 9:37 p.m. about 3 miles west of Arcadia. Less than 10 minutes later, a 4.2-magnitude quake rattled about 4 miles west of Arcadia, according to the USGS.

A third earthquake of 2.7 magnitude was recorded at 9:53 p.m. near Arcadia. The USGS recorded more earthquakes shortly after 10 p.m. near Arcadia with magnitudes of 2.0, 2.6, 2.4 and 2.5, respectively.

KOCO 5 has received several emails and messages from people throughout the area saying they felt them.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    9 months ago

The Oklahoma City Area was rattled by a steady and increasingly stronger series of earthquakes overnight...

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2  MrFrost    9 months ago

I didn't know that area lies on a fault line. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @2    9 months ago

is big oil fracking anywhere nearby?

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  devangelical @2.1    9 months ago

Yep...

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  devangelical @2.1    9 months ago

is big oil fracking anywhere nearby?

Thanks for picking up on my sarcasm, Dev LOL

bccrane
Freshman Silent
2.1.3  bccrane  replied to  devangelical @2.1    9 months ago

There are fault lines everywhere, I even have one that's within a 1,000 feet of my house and 100 feet from where I work it arcs east to south towards lake Huron and west to south across the state.  Pretty much dormant even though we have an occasional rumble sound, shake, and sometimes something will fall off a shelf without explanation. 

Sorry this was suppose to respond to MrFrost, since I don't want to go about retyping it I will let it stand.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    9 months ago

Fracking?   

Chemical waste injection wells (Rocky Mountain Arsenal)? 

HAARP?

George
Junior Expert
4  George    9 months ago

Gee, maybe it’s one of the 4 faults in Oklahoma most likely the Meers. 
Did fracking cause the scarp that runs down the Meers fault line?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5  Mark in Wyoming     9 months ago

Woke up to -23 degrees here, haven't seen what the temps in OKC were but there is another possibility, frost quakes,  but usually they make more noise than movement.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5    9 months ago

That’s some serious cold and that’s before.  Stay warm.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1    9 months ago

That's without factoring in the wind chill, have about a 15 mph breeze going too.

I am getting intimately close to my wood stove, whispering sweet nothings to it interspersed with bombastic profanities aimed at the temps, might have to book a trip to the Mexican gulf coast area, become a snowbird.