╌>

Biden Crackdown Hauls In $520 Million In Back Taxes From The Ultrawealthy

Category:  News & Politics

By:  kavika  •  9 months ago  •  25 comments

Biden Crackdown Hauls In $520 Million In Back Taxes From The Ultrawealthy

M illionaires who were overdue on their taxes have coughed up more than half a billion dollars since the Internal Revenue Service stepped up its enforcement of the tax code against the ultrawealthy, the IRS  revealed on Friday

Using new funding earmarked for the IRS to  target wealthy and corporate tax cheats , the IRS since mid-2022 has collected more than $520 million from about 1,600 households with income of more than $1 million and that are known to have unpaid tax bills of more than $250,000. 

By late October, the IRS crackdown had hauled in $160 million. The agency has recouped an additional $360 million from the delinquent millionaires in the months since.

“The IRS continues to increase scrutiny on high-income taxpayers as we work to reverse the historic low audit rates and limited focus that the wealthiest individuals and organizations faced in [previous] years,” IRS Commissioner Danny Werfel said in a statement. “The additional resources the IRS has received is making a difference.”

But the funding that has made it possible for the IRS to target wealthy tax dodgers is in jeopardy. 

The money comes from the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act. Known as the Biden administration’s climate and infrastructure bill, the $369 billion law also set aside $78 billion over the next decade for the IRS to hire customer support staff for ordinary taxpayers and new auditors who would focus on the filings of the ultrarich.

Although the agency and the Biden administration promised not to target middle-class households, Republicans  falsely portrayed the funding as a plan  to sic thousands of revenue officers on the general public.

Last year, a deal between Biden and former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) to raise the debt ceiling slashed enforcement funding by $20 billion to $24.2 billion. Now,  a new debt ceiling deal  between Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) reportedly speeds up those cuts.

Aside from millionaire tax holdouts, the agency is cracking down on a range of fishy corporate structures that ultrawealthy individuals, hedge funds, large law firms and multinational companies often deploy to avoid reporting taxable income and transactions. 

By the end of last year, the agency said, it was scrutinizing more than 60 corporate taxpayers worth an average of roughly $24 billion, 180 foreign corporate subsidiaries and nearly 80 corporate partnerships with assets of more than $10 billion.

LINK TO SEEDED ARTICLE:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxes/biden-crackdown-hauls-in-520-billion-in-back-taxes-from-the-ultrawealthy/ar-AA1mT7vw?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=6c622896134d433bb6a66969c1bcc886&ei=35

Red Box Rules

OFF-TOPIC COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT WARNING.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     9 months ago

Get that money, there is a lot more hidden out there, especially with the politicians.

George
Junior Expert
1.1  George  replied to  Kavika @1    9 months ago

The article says that the IRS recouped 160 million and then 360 million for a total of 520 million with a M. Where is the 520 Billion from the headline?

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  George @1.1    9 months ago

The headline is incorrect, I changed it to to million manually.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.2  bugsy  replied to  George @1.1    9 months ago
Where is the 520 Billion from the headline?

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.3  bugsy  replied to  Kavika @1.1.1    9 months ago

If it was a simple mistake then I retract my comment (kinda).

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.4  bugsy  replied to  bugsy @1.1.3    9 months ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    9 months ago

if they can afford to buy supreme court thumpers, they can afford to pay their taxes, plus interest and penalties...

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.2    9 months ago

Justice Thomas is running for cover.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2    9 months ago

How many Dem members of SCOTUS do you think have been bought?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.3  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @1    9 months ago

Should be billions.

George
Junior Expert
2  George    9 months ago

Now don’t get me wrong, everyone should pay what they owe in taxes, and cheaters should be prosecuted and pay up.

That being said, let’s do a little basic high school math, we won’t use the 74 billion original ear marked, let’s go with the 24 Billion for enforcement after the cuts, now this funding is for a 10 year period, that is 2.4 billion a year to collect 520 million, Good job Joe!

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  George @2    9 months ago

So what is your solution, allow the wealthy and corporations to cheat which in the end we pay for. 

George
Junior Expert
2.1.1  George  replied to  Kavika @2.1    9 months ago

Well….. I clearly said everyone should pay the taxes that they owe. But you have to be a complete fucking moron to think that spending 4 dollars to. collect 1 dollar is fiscally sound policy.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  George @2.1.1    9 months ago
Well….. I clearly said everyone should pay the taxes that they owe.

I saw that.

But you have to be a complete fucking moron to think that spending 4 dollars to. collect 1 dollar is fiscally sound policy.

So you identified a problem, what should be done, do we let them keep on cheating on their taxes that will only increase the dollar amount in taxes due. 

Do you have a solution, since this ''cheating'' has been going on for quite some time?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  George @2.1.1    9 months ago
moron to think that spending 4 dollars to. collect 1 dollar is fiscally sound policy.

That is just government efficiency, don't ya know!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @2.1    9 months ago
So what is your solution, allow the wealthy and corporations to cheat which in the end we pay for. 

The solution is as easy as flat tax with zero deductions, but far too many are opposed to that and more interested in preserving welfare handouts.

One thing is certain, spending 4 to recover 1 is idiotic.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.5  author  Kavika   replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.4    9 months ago

A flat tax is one thing but it's not only the ''wefare handouts'' it's the wealthy and of course corporations that would oppose.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @2.1.5    9 months ago

I have yet to hear anyone who is at all liberal ever endorse a flat tax.

If you do a flat tax with no deductions, there will be far less need for tons of IRS agents and for audits. Pretty easy to look at forms and figure if someone claimed all they made.

I thought you wanted an answer.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.7  author  Kavika   replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.6    9 months ago
I have yet to hear anyone who is at all liberal ever endorse a flat tax.

Perhaps you're not listening I've heard it many times.

If you do a flat tax with no deductions, there will be far less need for tons of IRS agents and for audits. Pretty easy to look at forms and figure if someone claimed all they made.

That's true you would need less agents but when it gets to corporations you would need agents/lawyers etc. 

I thought you wanted an answer.

That's correct when an answer or proposal is given, it is normal to see what the problem areas could me, could it be improved pretty much the standard back and forth to see if/how it could work or not.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @2.1.7    9 months ago
Perhaps you're not listening I've heard it many times.

I didn't say you never heard it, I said I never heard it.

That's true you would need less agents but when it gets to corporations you would need agents/lawyers etc.

Agents and lawyers would do what exactly if there are no deductions for anything?

Corporation Z made $50 million in profit, they owe X amount of tax.

I would also like it if we taxed every dollar that goes through any shell company. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.9  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @2.1    9 months ago

Bingo!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.10  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @2.1.7    9 months ago
less need for tons of IRS agents

Since so many of the ultra wealthy cheat on their taxes, it's way past time to slap them down. Thus more agents.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @2.1.10    9 months ago
Since so many of the ultra wealthy cheat on their taxes, it's way past time to slap them down. Thus more agents.

Follow the conversation.

If we had a flat tax with no deductions, no real way to cheat, thus, less agents necessary.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    9 months ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @3    9 months ago

[deleted]