╌>

Russia's Chechnya constructs Palestinian village for Gaza war refugees

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  9 months ago  •  8 comments

By:   BY OFER PETERSBURG

Russia's Chechnya constructs Palestinian village for Gaza war refugees
Predominantly Muslim Russian republic Chechnya promoting establishment of "Palestinian village" to absorb Gaza refugees

Photo: Chechen Republic leader Ramzan Kadyrov attends a military parade on Victory Day, which marks the 77th anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany in World War Two, in the Chechen capital Grozny, Russia May 9, 2022© (photo credit: REUTERS/CHINGIS KONDAROV)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Following an announcement by Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov, the construction of five buildings with 35 apartments each has begun in Chechnya's capital Grozny, with the aim of accommodating Palestinians who are fleeing the ongoing Israel-Hamas War from the Gaza Strip.

So far, Russia has received around  1,200 Gazan refugees , some of whom have even obtained Russian citizenship.

During the ceremony marking the groundbreaking for the construction of the future settlement, the   leader of Chechnya, Ramzan Kadyrov , participated along with Palestinian refugees. 

"We will continue actively promoting the adaptation of our Palestinian brothers to life in the Chechen Republic, including their employment," stated Kadyrov in his speech.

The funding for the construction of the village will be provided by the regional public foundation named after Akhmad Kadyrov, father of the incumbent president, who was himself president of Chechnya before his assassination in 2004 by Chechen Islamists. Some 100,000 Russian roubles ($1,200) have been allocated by the foundation for each Palestinian family.

"As of now, about 130 million roubles ($1.5 million in non-budgetary funds have been spent on all the assistance provided to internal refugees, including humanitarian aid sent to the Gaza Strip," said Ahmed Dudaev, Minister of National Policy, Foreign Relations, Press, and Information of the Chechen Republic.

Families without Russian citizenship, most of them children, received passports and Russian citizenship. Even in other areas, the Russian media reports that Gazan refugees have been provided with warm homes and good care, including learning the Russian language and arranging work and studies at local universities."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    9 months ago

Predominantly Muslim Russian republic Chechnya promoting establishment of "Palestinian village" to absorb Gaza refugees.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    9 months ago

Following an announcement by Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov, the construction of five buildings with 35 apartments each has begun in Chechnya's capital Grozny, with the aim of accommodating Palestinians who are fleeing the ongoing Israel-Hamas War from the Gaza Strip.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    9 months ago

Families without Russian citizenship, most of them children, received passports and Russian citizenship. Even in other areas, the Russian media reports that Gazan refugees have been provided with warm homes and good care, including learning the Russian language and arranging work and studies at local universities.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Krishna @3    9 months ago

I have to ask, but why would they want to live in Russia?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    9 months ago

Culturally its not Russian. The Chechnyans are Muslim. It was part of a Soviet Republic in the USSR. After the fall of the USSR, there was at least one war they fought with the Russians. IIRC the Russians wanted to make Chechny part of Russia. maybe more than one war-- it was independent for a while I believe its now part of Russia.

But Gazans could escape the constant wars of Gaza (and the repression of ordinary Gazans by Hamas.) And still be in a Muslim country.

I think its a dictatorship, but Gazans as Muslims would be welcome.

P.S: They are a pretty violent culture. The wars with Russia were really unusually nasty-- by both sides. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.1    9 months ago
P.S: They are a pretty violent culture. The wars with Russia were really unusually nasty-- by both sides. 

P.S. The two Boston Marathon bombers were Chechnyan. (Or maybe part Chechnyan and part Dagestani-- a similar country in that area.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.2    9 months ago
The two Boston Marathon bombers were Chechnyan.

I just googled it-- the two Boston Marathon bombers were not exactly Chechan but identified as such:

Boston Marathon Bombing

The family spent time in   Tokmok, Kyrgyzstan, and in   Makhachkala, Dagestan. [77] [180]  

They are half   Chechen   through their father Anzor, and half   Avar [181]   through their mother Zubeidat.

They never lived in   Chechnya , yet the brothers identified themselves as Chechen.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    9 months ago

I just thought of another way of looking at it:

As an American, I certainly wouldn't want to move to Russia! (Or in fact to most countries in the world).

But imagine someone living in Gaza--if I were living in Gaza I'd probably want to get out and move to almost any other place it the world. 

(Its not only a horrible war zone, but I don't think the prospect of peace , and a "return to normalcy" will happen anytime in the near future...)