╌>

Russia Economy: Russia Says It Will Retaliate Against Asset Confiscation

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  5 months ago  •  10 comments

By:   Huileng Tan (Business Insider)

Russia Economy: Russia Says It Will Retaliate Against Asset Confiscation
Leaders of the Group of Seven are set to discuss how to legally seize $300 billion in Russian central-bank assets to fund reconstruction in Ukraine.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Huileng Tan 2024-01-23

• The West froze $300 billion in Russian central-bank assets after Moscow invaded Ukraine in 2022.
  • Now, G7 leaders are set to discuss how to seize those assets to fund reconstruction in Ukraine.
  • Russia appears to be furious over the possibility — and it says the West has just as much to lose.

The Russian state news agency RIA reported on Sunday that the country would retaliate against the West in equal measure if it confiscated Moscow's frozen assets to help Ukraine.

The news agency's warning came amid reports that leaders of the Group of Seven were set to discuss how to legally seize $300 billion in Russian central-bank assets to fund reconstruction in Ukraine.

The European Union, G7 countries, Australia, and Switzerland collectively held $288 billion worth of direct investments into Russia's economy at the end of 2022, RIA reported, citing national statistics of the Western countries.

RIA's report implies the West has almost as much to lose as Russia does if Moscow retaliates. Business Insider could not independently verify RIA's claims.

Russia has been hitting back against suggestions that its seized assets be used to fund the rebuilding of Ukraine.

The Kremlin spokesperson, Dmitry Peskov, told reporters on December 29 that Russia had a list of foreign assets it would seize in retaliation if the West were to move on Russia's frozen assets.

He has called the notion of seizing Russian assets "outright theft."

Meanwhile, there are international concerns about the legality of seizing the frozen Russian assets. Such a move could undermine the international financial system, legal and foreign-relations experts say. It could also erode trust in the US dollar and the euro as reserve currencies.

Russia's potential retaliatory seizure of assets could make it even more difficult for foreign companies to exit the Russian market.

The New York Times reported in December that the Kremlin was already scrutinizing and micromanaging nearly every corporate exit plan before approving it.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    5 months ago

original

JBB
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JBB    5 months ago

original

JBB
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JBB    5 months ago

original

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4  Just Jim NC TttH    5 months ago

[Deleted]

George
Junior Expert
4.1  George  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4    5 months ago

What i think is funnier than that is that after all the information that has come out, there are still people who think democrats are stupid enough to believe that trump is connected to Russia. I have more faith in them than that, but it is starting to wane. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
4.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  George @4.1    5 months ago

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.1    5 months ago

Man, I bet the mayor of Moscow's wife is really pissed after giving Biden all that money!!

George
Junior Expert
4.1.3  George  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.1    5 months ago

Good, then I won't vote for Donald trump Jr.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  George @4.1.3    5 months ago

LMAO!

I got what you did there!

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
5  SteevieGee    5 months ago

Any American who still has assets in Russia deserves to lose them.