╌>

'Long overdue': Lily Gladstone's historic run continues - nominated for best actress

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  9 months ago  •  19 comments

'Long overdue': Lily Gladstone's historic run continues - nominated for best actress

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Felix Clary
ICT   +   Tulsa World

After her historic Golden Globes win earlier this month, Lily Gladstone became the first Native American to be nominated for an Oscar for best actress.

Gladstone was nominated Tuesday for her role as Mollie Burkhart in “Killers of the Flower Moon,” making her one of several cast and set members from the film to secure Oscar nominations. On January 7, she won best actress at the Golden Globes.

“It’s all so long overdue. It’s a real moment of restoration, placing Indigenous talent in these roles, spotlighting their humanity, their, their characters, just the way that all of the sisters exist on screen, I think is shattering a lot of stereotypes people have about Indigenous women," said Gladstone in an interview with the Associated Press from the Oklahoma Osage reservation where the events of the film took place.

"Killers of the Flower Moon" depicts the Osage Reign of Terror, which involved a series of 1920s murders of Osage people by non-Natives who killed them for their oil headrights.

The other best actress nominees are: Emma Stone, “Poor Things,” Annette Bening, “Nyad,” Sandra Hüller, “Anatomy of a Fall,” and Carey Mulligan, “Maestro.

Scorsese was nominated for best director, while Leonardo DiCaprio was left out of the Best Actor category. The other best director nominees are: Justine Triet, “Anatomy of a Fall,” Christopher Nolan, “Oppenheimer,” Yorgos Lanthimos, “Poor Things,” and Jonathan Glazer, “The Zone of Interest.”

The best actor nominees are: Bradley Cooper, “Maestro,” Colman Domingo, “Rustin,” Paul Giamatti, “The Holdovers,” Cillian Murphy, “Oppenheimer,” and Jeffrey Wright, “American Fiction.”

The late Robbie Robertson also became the first Native American person nominated for best score for his work in "Killers of the Flower Moon."

“I only wish that Robbie Robertson had lived to see his work recognized — our many years of friendship and Robbie’s growing consciousness of his own Native heritage played a crucial role in my desire to get this film onscreen," Scorsese said in a statement.

A song from the film, “Wahzhazhe” (A Song For My People), by Osage composer Scott George received a nomination for best original song.

“Congratulations to all Oscar nominees for Killers of the Flower Moon; we are overjoyed that the hard work put into making this film is being celebrated,” said Principal Chief Geoffrey Standing Bear on the Osage Nation Facebook page Tuesday. “Osage Nation is especially proud that Osage Composer Scott George, consultants Kenny and Vann Bighorse, and all our tribal singers are receiving this extraordinary recognition for ‘Wahzhazhe' (A Song For My People).”

In addition to its nominations for best picture, best actress, best actor in a supporting role, best director, original song and original score, “Killers of the Flower Moon” was nominated for costume design, production design, achievement in film editing and achievement in cinema

LINK TO SEEDED ARTICLE: https://ictnews.org/news/lily-gladstones-historic-run-continues-with-oscar-nomination

Red Box Rules

OFF-TOPIC COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT WARNING.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     9 months ago

An excellent movie by Martin Scorsese this epic true story is almost 3 1/2 long and the birth of the FBI and their first big case the murders of numerous Osage tribal members for their oil right in 1920s Oklahoma a true story.

Lilly Gladstone (Blackfoot) turns in an Academy Award-winning performance and Leanardo DeCaprio did not get a nomination but his acting in this epic was deserving of one. 

Nominated for nine Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actor.

Robbie Roberson who has been friends with Martin Scorsese since the 1976 film, ''The Last Waltz'' was nominated for best musical score.

A movie well worth seeing that was turned upside down by Martin Scorsese after he met with the Osage people and made it about them and not the FBI. 

A movie well worth seeing.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    9 months ago

gee, the wealthy in oklahoma have quite the legacy of stealing property of value from minorities...

I don't do movies in theaters anymore, but when it hits amazon or netflix, I'll watch it then.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1    9 months ago

It is well worth seeing, devan.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.1    9 months ago

That's when I will see it. It's on Apple TV, I think, but I'm not signing up for another streaming service

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    9 months ago

Sounds good to me, trout. I have two streaming services and that is my limit.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.4  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    9 months ago
It's on Apple TV, I think,

Apple + made the movie so I'm not sure it will move to another streamer anytime soon.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    9 months ago
An excellent movie by Martin Scorsese

I'm just glad a great american film maker brought this story to the screen with the input and assistance of those most affected.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.2    9 months ago

It is interesting how it came about, the first script was much more about the FBI and the murders being a side issue. The Osage invited Martin Scorsese to meet with them so could have some input and before the meeting was over Scorsese decided to rewrite the script and make it about the Osage the murders and the FBI as a side story. 

Scorsese made sure that the Osage were well represented in the acting side and also in the tech side with constant input from Osage advisers.

Scorsese has been friends with Robbie Robertson (mohawk) since he made the film, ''The Last Waltz'' in 1976 and Robbie has advised him on many music to be used in many of his films and wrote the score for this movie that has been nominated for an Academy Award.

Martin Scorsese stands very tall with the Osage.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    9 months ago

Haven't seen the movie yet but I'm looking forward to when it comes out on pay for view. 

Apple TV has it now but I am having trouble logging on to Apple Tv. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @2    9 months ago

I think that you'll enjoy it, JR.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 months ago

This is some big deal! 

And I didn't know that Robbie Robertson did the score. Yay for my fellow JIP! 

Matt and I are looking forward to watching Killers of the Flower Moon. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    9 months ago

Too bad that Robbie walked on a few months ago, he would have been over the moon about the nomination and also two Osage are nominated for the best original song, ‘Wahzhazhe' (A Song For My People).”

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.1  evilone  replied to  Kavika @3.1    9 months ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  evilone @3.1.1    9 months ago

Outstanding, thanks evilone.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4  devangelical    9 months ago

oh look, another piece of american history that never made it into a textbook...

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @4    9 months ago

Unfortunately, there is a lot of that.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @4.1    9 months ago

seems like there's a lot of people that can't mentally deal with inconvenient truths that are contrary to their political narrative.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.2  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @4.1.1    9 months ago

ie: republicans

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.3  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @4.1.2    9 months ago

surprise!