╌>

'Sexualized' Jesus: controversy in Spain over poster of Christ for Seville Easter festivities

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  8 months ago  •  27 comments

By:   Nicole Acevedo

'Sexualized' Jesus: controversy in Spain over poster of Christ for Seville Easter festivities
A controversy has ensued in Spain over an artwork created for Easter week in Seville, with some seeing the image of Jesus created by artist Salustiano Garcia as sexualized and offensive, which the artist disputes.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A controversy has ensued in Spain and on social media over a poster of Jesus created to promote Easter week festivities in the city of Seville — drawing mixed reactions from Spanish conservatives deeming the image an "aberration" and a "sexualized and effeminate" Jesus as well as from social media users who either defended the painter's artistic vision or created memes poking fun at the image.

The Council of Brotherhoods, which organizes the main Easter week events in Seville, commissioned renowned artist Salustiano Garcia months ago to create a painting promoting the celebration.

Garcia unveiled the final product Saturday during an event attended by leadership of the Council of Brotherhoods in Seville as well as the city's mayor, Jose Luis Sanz.

The painter told local media at the time that his version of a resurrected Jesus painted against a flat red background was modeled after his son, Horacio. Garcia's work was met with high appraisals and applauses during the painting's unveiling.

In speaking with media following the event, Horacio said that he heard of people saying his father's portrayal of Jesus was "very attractive. ... Thank you very much. That's all I have to say."

But criticism erupted following the event.

Javier Navarro of the far-right Vox party in Spain said on the social media platform X that the poster "sought to provoke" and did not advance the mission of "encouraging faithful participation in Seville's Holy Week."

Pablo Hertfelder Garcia-Conde, president of the religious freedom organization IPSE, known for its ultraconservative Catholic views, said on X that "the poster is offensive" and an aberration and "does not correspond to what Holy Week in Seville symbolizes."

An organization of Christian lawyers launched a petition requesting the removal of the poster and the resignation of the Francisco Velez, the president of the Council of Brotherhoods.

The petition has garnered more than 21,000 signatures as of Thursday afternoon.

In response to the criticism, the painter told the Spanish newspaper ABC that his portrayal of Jesus was "gentle, elegant and beautiful" and created with "deep respect."

"To see sexuality in my image of Christ, you must be sick," he said, insisting there was "nothing" in his painting that "has not already been represented in artworks dating back hundreds of years."

One user on X responded to the backlash, saying, "Prepare for the homophobia that the Seville Holy Week poster is going to unleash."

Rafa Lopez, a well-known Spanish sociologist and political scientist, also responded to critics, saying on a news program, "Those who are scandalized by the Holy Week poster in Seville do so not because it is a tradition, but because they are deeply racist and homophobic."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1  Trout Giggles    8 months ago
Rafa Lopez, a well-known Spanish sociologist and political scientist, also responded to critics, saying on a news program, "Those who are scandalized by the Holy Week poster in Seville do so not because it is a tradition, but because they are deeply racist and homophobic."

I think that statement sums it up quite nicely

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    8 months ago

oops, some artist made him the wrong color again...

Outis
Freshman Expert
2  Outis    8 months ago

I am offended.

White Jesus is offensive.

Jesus was a Middle Eastern man. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Outis @2    8 months ago
Jesus was a Middle Eastern man. 

Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein is a Middle Eastern man with a Middle Eastern family.  Take a look at some photos and tell us of what race they are.

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1    8 months ago
tell us of what race they are.

Crusaders did a lot of fornicating during their occupation.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @2.1.1    8 months ago

As did the Moors in Spain and Portugal.  People seem to fornicate wherever they are.

I'm married and older now, I'll probably not have the opportunity to add Australia or Antarctica to my list.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Outis @2    8 months ago

And I'm pretty sure he didn't speak English or Spanish

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2    8 months ago

Or French or Tsonga, perhaps he spoke Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3  Drakkonis    8 months ago

I find the painting confusing. It is supposed to be post=resurrection, so why would he appear that way? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     8 months ago

The face of Jesus from the Shroud of Turin

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @4    8 months ago

Unfortunately in 2018 it was found that the Shroud of Turin was a fake.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1    8 months ago
Unfortunately in 2018 it was found that the Shroud of Turin was a fake.

Yes, I'm aware of that it was carbon dated to the 12th century. This is the latest on it that I'm aware of.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @4.1.1    8 months ago

That's what I heard

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @4.1.1    8 months ago

An interesting item.  If real, an incredible item to have after 2,000 years.  If fake, an incredible forgery given the time it might have been done.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1    8 months ago
Raymond Rogers, a very fine chemist who died in 2005, discovered that the sample area corresponded to a darned area: modern threads were inserted in the 16th century, in order to repair this area that had been worn away. Thus, the Carbon-14 experiment is null and void today.

Other work has been done since then, including by professor Giulio Fanti of the University of Bologna, who from another method of dating based on the twisting of linen, arrived at a fairly wide time range, but which revolved around the pivotal axis of the year 33, the date of the burial of Jesus.

Just recently, in April 2022, another Italian researcher, professor Liberato De Caro of the Institute of Crystallography of the Italian Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, using a particular X-ray method, came to the   conclusion   that this is indeed a linen from the first century. To this end, he compared a thread of this linen with another, taken from a cloth found at Masada, a citadel that the Romans stormed and destroyed in the year 73. Holy Shroud of Turin’s Authenticity Can No Longer Be Disputed, Expert Asserts| National Catholic Register (ncregister.com)

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  Kavika @4    8 months ago

I always thought he looked like this

75497629_2758807424139780_2172508622842494976_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=7f8c78&_nc_ohc=TS-ouXFMdXoAX-d1tMh&_nc_ht=scontent-bos5-1.xx&oh=00_AfChKMckJ4lwyS3BZCkeJ5mYEQpLyTJR5yO_xG74qAgW_A&oe=65E4B7A1

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @4    8 months ago

AI generated?

I still think the Shroud of Turin is a hoax

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.4  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @4    8 months ago

f'n hippie...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.4.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @4.4    8 months ago

f’n Superstar

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4.4.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.4.1    8 months ago

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
5  Right Down the Center    8 months ago

"Rafa Lopez, a well-known Spanish sociologist and political scientist, also responded to critics, saying on a news program, "Those who are scandalized by the Holy Week poster in Seville do so not because it is a tradition, but because they are deeply racist and homophobic.""

When you have nothing worthwhile to say just call people that don't agree with you deeply racist and homophobic.  

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
6  Right Down the Center    8 months ago

"An organization of Christian lawyers launched a petition requesting the removal of the poster and the resignation of the Francisco Velez, the president of the Council of Brotherhoods. The petition has garnered more than 21,000 signatures as of Thursday afternoon."

[deleted]

CB
Professor Principal
7  CB    8 months ago

Since no one took a picture of Jesus during his lifetime or created a lasting illustration of any kind. . .why bother with these UNREMARKABLE imaginings of the man? The problem for the image is it is communicating mixed symbolism. That is, the poster attempts to convey the spiritual with the fleshly. 'No one' is demanding that to be done. 

First, Jesus is not portrayed in the scriptures as "PHAT" (Pretty Hot and Tempting).  Second, "nakedness" really?   Third, nipples? Whose are those borrowed from for the purposes of this poster?  Lastly, this is par and parcel why the scriptures explicitly mentions not falling into the 'trap' of imagining things in Heaven, because we 'cave' into the fleshly as it is all we have to draw from about such "entities." That is, Jesus no more looks like the article's image than God looks like "An old man in the clouds."

CB
Professor Principal
8  CB    8 months ago

If one is accepting of the concept of the biblical Jesus, here is what the Prophet Isaiah has to say about the appearance of the "Man to Come" (Jesus):

The Suffering Servant

1 Who has believed our report? And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?

2 For He grew up before Him like a tender [a]shoot,  And like a root out of dry ground;

He has no stately form or majesty. That we would look at Him,

Nor an appearance that we would take pleasure in Him .

3 He was despised and abandoned by men, A man of great pain and familiar with sickness;

And like one from whom people hide their faces, He was despised, and we had no regard for Him .

It begs the question over long periods  of Jesus' absence when/that  . . .  poets, sculptors, and "designers" keep trying to 'beautify' or 'modernize' the features of Jesus. 

They should just leave it alone, and avoid these 'gray areas' of imagining what obviously can not be validated. We should " regard " the spirit-presence of Jesus and not dwell in imagining his flesh!

MrFrost
Professor Guide
9  MrFrost    8 months ago

Outis
Freshman Expert
9.1  Outis  replied to  MrFrost @9    8 months ago

Such beautiful blue eyes!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
10  Gsquared    8 months ago

This 40 foot tall mural of Jesus at Biola University in Southern California has been the subject of quite a bit of controversy.  Some students were offended because they thought he was "too white" and oppressive.

Oh, and the model for the mural is my brother.  He's not a Christian.  He was friends with the artist who asked him to let his hair and beard grow out longer than usual.