╌>

Student Loan Forgiveness

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  2 months ago  •  147 comments

By:   Story by Jennifer Jacobs and Justin Sink

Student Loan Forgiveness
“If you qualify, you’ll be hearing from me shortly,” Biden said Wednesday at an event in Culver City, California.

What are we teaching our children and our citizens about the need to be accountable for your actions, to be responsible for the debts they accrue/create and how little people will trust them in the future.

Should a bank look favorably on a person applying for a loan that signed loan papers promising to repay student laoans and then did not do so?

If a person fails to live up to a debt they undertook willingly, why should they be trusted to do anything else they say they will in the future?

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Borrowers who had their debt forgiven in the latest round will receive an email from the president letting them know. Biden’s administration gave similar notice in a prior round of debt forgiveness last November. 

The moves are reminiscent of 2020, when former President Donald Trump’s name appeared on Covid-19 stimulus checks sent to Americans. Trump is closing in on the 2024 Republican nomination and a rematch with Biden. 

The Biden administration announced earlier Wednesday that more than 150,000 borrowers will receive $1.2 billion in student loan forgiveness. The fresh debt relief is part of a program   unveiled   in January targeting Americans who had been making payments for at least a decade.

“A lot of people can’t even repay and they try - they don’t miss payments, they work like the devil every month to pay the bills,” Biden said. 

A plurality of Gen-Z voters – 43% — said Biden was doing   too little   to address student loans, according to a Bloomberg News/Morning Consult poll of swing-state voters released in December. Yet 46% of swing-state voters overall said they supported the administration’s student loan forgiveness programs, showing divides over the issue.

he move – which benefits those enrolled in the government’s Saving on a Valuable Education (SAVE) plan – wipes out loans for those who borrowed less than $12,000 for their higher education. Other income-driven repayment plans also forgive balances, but only after 20 or 25 years of repayment.

The latest round pushes the total relief approved by the Biden administration to nearly $138 billion, benefiting 3.9 million borrowers. That number could grow as more people become eligible for forgiveness under the SAVE program, which has 6.9 million people enrolled. Administration officials have declined to estimate how many borrowers will eventually see loans forgiven under the program.

Yet the efforts fall short of the president’s proposal for more sweeping student loan cancellation — as much as $20,000 in relief per borrower - that was struck down last year by the US Supreme Court. That forgiveness plan was estimated to cost $400 billion.

Red Box Rules

The article is about student loan forgiveness - the pluses and minuses.

Please confine comments to that subject

Try and be civil - I know it is hard for so many, but give it a try - real discussions and debates break out when we listen to points of view other than our own.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Robert in Ohio    2 months ago

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    2 months ago

The answer of course is that the Biden campaign wants their votes.

It is immoral to wipe away the debt of those who will benefit the most in our society via "higher education."

It is unfair to those who did not get such an education and are forced to pay for the debts of those who will.

It is also unfair to those who have paid off their student loans.

Finally, the Supreme Court has already ruled against Biden's scheme.  Does the rule of law mean anything anymore?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    2 months ago
Finally, the Supreme Court has already ruled against Biden's scheme.  Does the rule of law mean anything anymore?

Get ready for an argument on what the meaning of "is" is from leftists.

The law is what Democrats say it is; and it applies only to who they say.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.2  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    2 months ago
It is immoral to wipe away the debt of those who will benefit the most in our society via "higher education."

Interesting word choice - "immoral" and presumptuous of you to broad brush all student loan holders as those who "benefit the most in our society". It's immoral to use predatory loan tactics and for profit schools to prey on those just trying to better themselves. How come you don't talk about that in these diatribes?

It is unfair to those who did not get such an education and are forced to pay for the debts of those who will.

Yes, life is unfair. Boo fucking hoo.

I paid mine and I don't really give a shit if others get theirs paid or not. Is it also unfair I paid mine myself when so many others have their parents pay off theirs? Or is it just the way life works? Is it fair I didn't get a business bailout when multiple other businesses, like farmers (many of which are owned by members of Congress) got theirs?

Again you demonstrate you don't know how government and the law works. The SCOTUS ruling was about the mechanism used to fund the school loan bailout. They found piecemeal legal work arounds that won't apply so broadly.  

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.3  evilone  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.1    2 months ago
The law is what Democrats say it is;

How about you look up the case and explain why you think it's still not legal and the Republican run House is too inept to sue again? 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilone @1.1.2    2 months ago
It's immoral to use predatory loan tactics

This newest installment in Biden's Loan Forgiveness applies to some folks who have a federal direct loan.  Why do you consider the US Dept of Education to be predatory?

for profit schools to prey

Forgiveness isn't restricted to loans for attendance at profit schools.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.5  evilone  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.4    2 months ago
Why do you consider the US Dept of Education to be predatory? Forgiveness isn't restricted to loans for attendance at profit schools.

I was speaking of the term "immoral" Vic used, not this specific round of relief. 

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.6  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    2 months ago

I agree with these two points

the Supreme Court has already ruled against Biden's scheme.  Does the rule of law mean anything anymore?

The executive order took a slightly different path to the forgiveness, relating to total debt which I feel likely will face judicial challenges as well.  

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.7  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  evilone @1.1.2    2 months ago
Again you demonstrate you don't know how government and the law works. The SCOTUS ruling was about the mechanism used to fund the school loan bailout. They found piecemeal legal work arounds that won't apply so broadly.   

Excellent point

Since I also paid for my college costs and those of three children without government assistance perhaps I should be in line for a refund of those costs under this plan.  jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.8  evilone  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1.1.7    2 months ago
Since I also paid for my college costs and those of three children without government assistance perhaps I should be in line for a refund of those costs under this plan.  

That's not how life works, but go ahead and file your challenge with the courts. I doubt you will win. I also paid my student loans and my wife is currently paying on hers but doesn't qualify for relief under any of these plans, but neither of us are bitching about it. Sometimes life just isn't fair. 

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.9  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  evilone @1.1.8    2 months ago

I do not expect life to be fair, but I expect that there be some level of logic in decisions.

We are teaching these young people that they have no obligation to keep their word when they sign a contract.

That is a bad lesson

It is furthering the entitled society

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.10  evilone  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1.1.9    2 months ago
I expect that there be some level of logic in decisions.

Logical decision making in Washington is the exception rather than the rule.

We are teaching these young people that they have no obligation to keep their word when they sign a contract.

There are all kinds of lessons good and bad to learn. Are we teaching farmers they can always count on government bailouts too? Both Republican and Democrat Administrations keep bailing them out. There are a litany of government bailouts that often don't make a whole lot of sense like when Congress forgave Covid business loans. Congress members who owned business got millions in loan relief.

It is furthering the entitled society

Interesting... I'm pretty sure the people served most with school loan debt relief aren't feeling all that entitled when they look at the cost of living vs wages. Housing costs are obscene and grocery prices are resisting inflation reduction. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.11  cjcold  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.1    2 months ago

Sounds more like republicans and Trump with their use of "alternative facts".

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    2 months ago

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.1  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    2 months ago
Biden continues to ignore the Supreme Court.

Fucking hell... Don't any of you conservatives read these rulings? The SCOTUS said the HEROS Act did not authorize the student loan forgiveness plan, not that student loan forgiveness was illegal. It forced the Biden Administration to jump through a dozen other hoops to effect less people.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @1.2.1    2 months ago

Jumping through a few hoops seems like a small price to pay to buy a few million votes.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.3  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.2    2 months ago

It was something Biden ran on and what his young, more Progressive voters wanted. I don't agree with it and it might be dumb, but it's not illegal, immoral or a surprise.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @1.2.3    2 months ago

I think it IS immoral to make taxpayers foot the bills for legal debts incurred by others.

Could a future President forgive mortgage loans because the rates might be too high?

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.5  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.4    2 months ago
I think it IS immoral to make taxpayers foot the bills for legal debts incurred by others.

Okay. It's a little harsh, but government makes taxpayers foot the bill for all kinds of things I don't agree with. This is why we have a representative democracy and elections with checks and balances. Specifically this student loan forgiveness program is being done with money that was already allocated so the taxpayers are already on the hook for it anyway. I suppose we all have ideas on how it could be better used though. 

Could a future President forgive mortgage loans because the rates might be too high?

I suppose it's possible. I would assume it's legality would depend on how it was done just like these student loans. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @1.2.5    2 months ago
I would assume it's legality would depend on how it was done just like these student loans. 

O-k-a-y then, I'll just leave that out there.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.7  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.6    2 months ago
I'll just leave that out there.

Great. Now that we've established Biden is acting within the law we can do that.

George
Junior Expert
1.2.8  George  replied to  evilone @1.2.5    2 months ago
This is why we have a representative democracy

You realize that this statement is about congress, which did not vote on this, Now there was a Mechanism under the PAYE act that allowed for forgiveness, if you were a responsible human being. this was passed by Congress and signed by the president, unfortunately too many were too lazy or stupid to sign up for it, I guess Biden is rewarding them now?

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.9  evilone  replied to  George @1.2.8    2 months ago
You realize that this statement is about congress, which did not vote on this,

And you realize you are taking one part of one statement out of context, right? Nothing else you posted there has anything to do with my post.

George
Junior Expert
1.2.10  George  replied to  evilone @1.2.9    2 months ago

It absolutely does, it is the difference between a LAW being passed that all parties agree to, to accomplish X and a President acting as if he was a dictator doing what he wants. How about we take money allocated for ACA and redirect it to funding anything else.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.11  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1.2.5    2 months ago
government makes taxpayers foot the bill for all kinds of things I don't agree with

... like tax credits for contributions to the religious business.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.12  evilone  replied to  George @1.2.10    2 months ago
...it is the difference between a LAW being passed that all parties agree to, to accomplish X and a President acting as if he was a dictator doing what he wants.

The President is NOT acting as if he is a dictator. He's doing what he is authorized to do within the scope of his powers on a issue he ran on. It's much like Trump declaring a "national emergency" to divert money allocated for military housing to build sections of border wall. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.13  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2.11    2 months ago

You don't pay a penny more because a nonprofit gets a tax credit.

George
Junior Expert
1.2.14  George  replied to  evilone @1.2.12    2 months ago

And yet Obama acted with-in the confines of the constitution, where the congress controls the purse strings, he passed a LAW that allowed him to put in a mechanism to forgive debt, Now how many future student won't get loans because the funding won't be there from the payments? or what other programs won't get the funding needed because the student loan program will now be short.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.15  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.13    2 months ago

bullshit.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.16  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2.15    2 months ago

All you have to do is simply show me where and how much more you personally paid because someone else got a tax credit.

I have a couple of hours to kill, so take your time and make sure your links work!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.17  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.16    2 months ago

not me, as an individual. I didn't pay shit, I took the tax credit, just like anyone that adheres to the 1st amendment in the constitution should, whether they attend a thumper madrasa or not. why stack economic gullibility upon religious gullibility. the IRS proves every sunday that violations of tax exempt status by organized religion is unenforceable, especially with all the dipshit bible thumpers infesting congress.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.18  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2.17    2 months ago
I didn't pay shit, I took the tax credit, just like anyone that adheres to the 1st amendment in the constitution should. the IRS prove every sunday that violations of tax exempt status by religion is unenforceable with all the dipshit bible thumpers infesting congress.

Well, that is some rapid walk-back.

Here is my post:

You don't pay a penny more because a nonprofit gets a tax credit.

And your response:

bullshit.

Now, if you were referencing a different post of mine, please list it here. Otherwise, the only logical conclusion any reader could POSSIBLY get from your "bullshit" comment is that you DO pay more.

You only walked it back when I called you out on it.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.19  evilone  replied to  George @1.2.14    2 months ago

You are moving the goal post from illegal to how the programs are run. My major point is not about Biden, but the language we here use to discuss these topics. Biden is an asshole, but this is not illegal, let alone the actions of a dictator. It's simply a policy issue and I get it you don't like it. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.20  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.18    2 months ago

not everyone takes the tax credit. all taxpayers make up the difference in the deficit.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.21  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2.20    2 months ago

giphy.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2.22  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.2.20    2 months ago
all taxpayers make up the difference in the deficit.

If that were true, we wouldn't have a $33 trillion federal debt.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.23  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2.20    2 months ago
not everyone takes the tax credit. all taxpayers make up the difference in the deficit.

Are your feelings similar for those who take the child credit and often get back many times more than they ever paid in?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.24  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.2.22    2 months ago
If that were true, we wouldn't have a $33 trillion federal debt.

Thank you for that.

I had hoped the logic would be obvious, but sadly, it was not.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.25  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2.17    2 months ago
not me, as an individual. I didn't pay shit, I took the tax credit

To ME, it doesn't sound at all credible that you donated anything to any organizations evenly remotely related to any church.

Nope, not buying it

About 37% of all filers use the short form, which does not allow for such deductions.

George
Junior Expert
1.2.26  George  replied to  evilone @1.2.19    2 months ago

No where did i use the term illegal, right and wrong isn't always a matter of law but of morality and precedent. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.27  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    2 months ago
Biden continues to ignore the Supreme Court.

No victim no crime, right Greg? 

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
1.2.28  goose is back  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.27    2 months ago
No victim no crime, right Greg? 

You see, that's where you are wrong. The crime is against the taxpayer who has to pay the debt for Traitor Joe to buy votes.   

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.2.29  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.4    2 months ago

That is a very interesting question, hopefully it will be posed to the President perhaps in a non-teleprompter situation where he would actually have to come up with a thought on the subject.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.30  Texan1211  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1.2.29    2 months ago
That is a very interesting question, hopefully it will be posed to the President perhaps in a non-teleprompter situation where he would actually have to come up with a thought on the subject.

His team would rush in to save Biden from saying something stupid.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    2 months ago

Because all debt, 

can be discharged in bankruptcy, with the exception of alimony, child support, tax obligations and since 1978, student loans!

Without the ugly option of bankruptcy which has it's own punishments, student loans are permanent.

Even alimony and child support are "term limited", making student loans lethal to many peoples FICO scores.

On top of that, many of these loans were guaranteed by a parent under various programs

because who in their right mind is going to lend teenagers tens of thousands of dollars with no collateral?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.4  cjcold  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    2 months ago

Haven't been forgiven but am sure my university has forgotten me.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 months ago

You could look at bankruptcy in the same light. Promised to repay a loan, declared bankruptcy and the loan was forgiven (so to speak) and the person is off the hook and can do the same thing I believe in another 5 to 7 years. The same goes for corporations. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @2    2 months ago

Will their credit scores be lowered as a result, like when declaring bankruptcy?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1    2 months ago

In my experience with Disability, the forgiven amount is counted as income and taxed accordingly when filing with the IRS.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @2    2 months ago

Then those who took out loans should declare bankruptcy and have their debts resolved in court, not paid for by other taxpayers.

George
Junior Expert
2.2.1  George  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2    2 months ago

And there is the problem Student loans were designed to NOT be discharged in bankruptcy, the only way they are suppose to go away is in death, or if you actually have the integrity to pay them off, there are some instances where they will be forgiven for X amount of years of public service. Biden has just given everyoen who actually did what they were suppose to the finger.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.2  Snuffy  replied to  George @2.2.1    2 months ago

But student loans can be forgiven thru bankruptcy, they just need to take an additional step.

Your student loans will not be automatically discharged if your bankruptcy is approved. You have to take special steps in the bankruptcy case to ask the judge to discharge your student loans. This is done by filing a petition for an  adversary proceeding . In order to have your student loans discharged in bankruptcy, you have to show that you have an   undue hardship . Bankruptcy - Student Loan Borrowers Assistance (studentloanborrowerassistance.org)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  George @2.2.1    2 months ago
Biden has just given everyone who actually did what they were suppose to the finger.

Biden seems to favor that approach, just like with immigrants.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  mocowgirl  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2    2 months ago
Then those who took out loans should declare bankruptcy and have their debts resolved in court, not paid for by other taxpayers.

I agree.

However, the banks want their money. 

With a little investigation and honesty, this is probably similar to the S&L bailout and the Wall Street bailout with the taxpayers on the hook for the financiers' love of gambling and never losing.

Edit:  It appears the federal government is the largest lender.  Which means, the entire loan process must be re-worked with new rules on how any public money is spent to fund higher education.

Some info at the link below.

Who Owns Student Loan Debt? Here’s Who Holds the Most (marketrealist.com)

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.5  Split Personality  replied to  George @2.2.1    2 months ago
And there is the problem Student loans were designed to NOT be discharged in bankruptcy

Not true, It was a change virtually snuck into the 1978 Omnibus bill changing the bankruptcy code

that no one will take credit for

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.2.6  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.2    2 months ago

That is an interesting point - perhaps all those wishing to have all or part of their student loans forgiven should have to go through this legal process and ask a judge to make it so and then have the weight of a bankruptcy on their credit rating.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.7  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.5    2 months ago

follow the money on who that change benefits the most and... surprise!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.8  Split Personality  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.2    2 months ago
Proving undue hardship is so costly and difficult that only a bit over one in a thousand people with student loans who declared bankruptcy actually got their student loan debts discharged, according to a 2020 study by a Villanova law professor. Bankruptcy - Student Loan Borrowers Assistance (studentloanborrowerassistance.org)

Ergo, more than 98% are locked into the loans even in bankruptcy because they lack the funds to hire a lawyer

to jump through the undue hardship requirements.

Its almost a perfect "catch 22".

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3  Drinker of the Wry    2 months ago

Maybe the holders of US federal debt will forgive us.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3    2 months ago

Yeah right, jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    2 months ago

Judgements should be issued and assets seized and sold at auction

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    2 months ago

And colleges will raise tuitions because the money will keep  pouring in as students take out loans with the expectation that they will be forgiven.  Biden’s just ensuring the problem keeps getting worse.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    2 months ago

I think you nailed it quite nicely.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    2 months ago

And colleges will raise tuitions because the money will keep  pouring in as students take out loans with the expectation that they will be forgiven.  Biden’s just ensuring the problem keeps getting worse.

Or perhaps the ability to get a student loan will be so difficult and onerous - that the process will disappear

George
Junior Expert
6  George    2 months ago

Biden using taxpayer money to buy votes. Does he have any integrity left?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ronin2  replied to  George @6    2 months ago

He had integrity to begin with?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
6.2  Snuffy  replied to  George @6    2 months ago

Sorry, he's a politician. Of course he's going to do everything he can to buy votes. And as the President, he's in a good position to be able to use public funds to do so. That's life.

squiggy
Junior Silent
7  squiggy    2 months ago

The poor kids shouldn’t be expected to pay back money squandered on Spring Break since there was no long-term, educational benefit.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8  TᵢG    2 months ago

Loan forgiveness is misguided.   If we are going to help with education then that money should be used to help talented, motivated kids to get higher education and then use their enhanced talents to better the nation.   To wit, apply the money for students who need it now to get higher education.

Hard to see this as anything more than buying votes and doing so with a very bad message of encouraging government handouts (and bailouts).

evilone
Professor Guide
8.1  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @8    2 months ago
Loan forgiveness is misguided. Hard to see this as anything more than buying votes...

I concur. What we should be doing is encouraging people into doctor and nursing programs with an incentive to pay off their student debt after a specific period of time working on the job. 

That said, others here using terms like unfair and illegal are also misguided in their bias.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  evilone @8.1    2 months ago

Yes, I am in favor of helping needy, talented, motivated people secure higher skills that will in turn help the nation.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
8.1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  evilone @8.1    2 months ago
What we should be doing is encouraging people into doctor and nursing programs with an incentive to pay off their student debt after a specific period of time working on the job. 

I believe that already exists, or used to.  My daughter is having a student loan forgiven because she is a public school teacher and has paid her student loan back for 120 months(she is currently at 116 months)

George
Junior Expert
8.1.3  George  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.1.2    2 months ago
My daughter is having a student loan forgiven because she is a public school teacher and has paid her student loan back for 120 months(she is currently at 116 months)

And this is an excellent program for teachers, and doctors who agree to serve under serviced areas.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
8.1.4  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.1    2 months ago

Yes, I am in favor of helping needy, talented, motivated people secure higher skills that will in turn help the nation.

But what if the person wants a degree in Tahitian Art History or the effects of Rap Music on Urban Development, or Country Music and its Effects on Political Viewpoints

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  Robert in Ohio @8.1.4    2 months ago
But what if the person wants a degree in Tahitian Art History or the effects of Rap Music on Urban Development, or Country Music and its Effects on Political Viewpoints
TiG @ 8.1.1 ☞ ... that will in turn help the nation

and originally

TiG @ 8 If we are going to help with education then that money should be used to help talented, motivated kids to get higher education and then use their enhanced talents to better the nation

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
8.1.6  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.5    2 months ago

???

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  Robert in Ohio @8.1.6    2 months ago

The answer to your question is that I explicitly included the condition that their enhanced talents / education would be used to help/better the nation.

To wit, my position is that the legislation would not fund any education but rather education that reasonably would help the nation.  Thus things like "a degree in Tahitian Art History" would most likely not be covered.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
8.1.8  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.7    2 months ago

I agree with your point, but "who" would decide what benefits the nation?  The D's when they are in power and the R's when they are in power?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Robert in Ohio @8.1.8    2 months ago

I have long hair thought that whatever is good for DotW, is good for the country.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.10  TᵢG  replied to  Robert in Ohio @8.1.8    2 months ago
I agree with your point, but "who" would decide what benefits the nation?  The D's when they are in power and the R's when they are in power?

It would be a decision like every other decision that makes its way into legislation.   There will always be some minority of officials who are in control and making such decisions.

This is true in the private sector too.   Everything from deciding features in a smartphone to determining what medical procedures are covered by insurance and by how much.

In short, there is no avoiding that some minority of officials will make decisions affecting the majority.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @8    2 months ago

I envisioned a plan where money was made available to those motivated, talented students who wanted to go into STEM fields. When it becomes saturated...shift the money to another field, like possibly education. But the money needs to go to individuals who will be able to earn a decent salary upon graduation. I'm not talking giving money to someone who is going to end up at Starbucks for 20 years after graduation because they wanted to study "art"

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
9  Right Down the Center    2 months ago

How does this bandaid for existing student loans help if college costs are still through the roof and people are still taking out exorbitant student loans that they will claim they can't pay back?  And worse yet they will be taking out the loans with the expectation tax payers will come to their rescue. 

Oh that's right, but then the votes will already be bought so Joe doesn't really care that he is not solving a problem but actually making it worse down the road.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
9.1  Snuffy  replied to  Right Down the Center @9    2 months ago

It's what politicians do, kick the can down the road. This brings a positive light on him from some people, might even get him a few more votes. But it does nothing to help fix the underlying issue. Politicians don't want to try to fix the underlying issue because it's harder and messy and doesn't bring an immediate return in the way of votes. 

evilone
Professor Guide
9.1.1  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @9.1    2 months ago
Politicians don't want to try to fix the underlying issue because it's harder and messy and doesn't bring an immediate return in the way of votes. 

I think you are close. In my opinion solutions must come from consensus in Congress, but the populism infecting Congress today refuses to compromise.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10  Texan1211    2 months ago

Biden is attempting to buy votes--period.

Everyone should remember that Biden has no qualms about making YOU pay for someone's education loans when you go to vote.

Think Biden will stop there on buying votes?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11  Tacos!    2 months ago

I want the government to reimburse me for all the education money I spent that came out of my own savings. I mean, at this point, why fucking not?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @11    2 months ago

Yeah, and I would like the government to pay to house, feed, educate, and medicate me as we do with aliens!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
11.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Tacos! @11    2 months ago

I want the government to reimburse me for all the education money I spent that came out of my own savings. I mean, at this point, why f***ing not?

A lot of people feel the same way.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
12  mocowgirl    2 months ago

How much of this loan forgiveness is going to people who borrowed money and never finished a degree? 

Even with a degree there is no guarantee of income sufficient to pay back astronomical college loans, but without a degree, it is highly likely the income is insufficient to even make the payments and pay their basic bills.  Which means that these people are a drag on the economy because they could qualify for food stamps and other public assistance rather than have disposable income to pay exorbitant housing costs, buy disposable goods to add to the mountains of rubbish in landfills, and whatever else it takes to make it appear like the economy is healthy and working for the majority of US citizens.

I believe that two-year community colleges should be free to everyone who carries a minimum 2.5 and maybe even 2.0 GPA.   Two more years of education and maturity would probably benefit most people as they make the transition from high school to the work force.  If so, our entire country will benefit.  We might even see the end of the need to forgive student loans.

What student loan forgiveness means for borrowers who never graduated (cnbc.com)

Like many borrowers, Halid Hamadi, 28, is poised to benefit — at least somewhat — from student loan forgiveness.

After President Joe Biden announced he   will forgive $10,000 in federal education debt   and up to $20,000 for   recipients of Pell Grants   who meet the income threshold, Hamadi said he was happy.

Still, “it’s not enough,” he said.

Hamadi currently owes roughly $100,000 in federal and private loans from college. He is also one of the nearly 40 million students   with no degree   to show for that debt.

The economics major was on track to graduate in 2016, but he ran out of funds in his last year of school, he said. Hamadi said he was denied additional loan money, making it nearly impossible to remain enrolled at Penn State University. “It was out of my hands at that point.”

Instead, Hamadi left school and completed Merit America’s IT Support professional certificate program, which took less than four months. He now works as an integration engineer based in Washington, D.C.

Roughly 39 million Americans have attended college at some point but have not earned a degree, according to a  report  by the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center. 

Completers also come more prepared when it comes to paying for college: 42% said they had a plan for how to pay for every year of college before they enrolled, while only 26% of non-completers could say the same. 

If he could do it all over again, Hamadi said he would try to get his diploma but do it less expensively.

“If I was 18 right now, I would go to community college and get an undergraduate degree by the cheapest means possible,” Hamadi said.

“I still see that as a way for people to move forward,” he added.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  mocowgirl @12    2 months ago

People seem to think that the education you get at Penn State is more valuable or better than IUP** where I went to school. The degree I got at IUP was just as valuable if I were to spend the same amount of time at PSU....only it was a lot cheaper at IUP.

**Indiana University of Pennsylvania

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
12.1.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1    2 months ago
People seem to think that the education you get at Penn State is more valuable or better than IUP** where I went to school. The degree I got at IUP was just as valuable if I were to spend the same amount of time at PSU....only it was a lot cheaper at IUP. **Indiana University of Pennsylvania

I agree.

I also wonder if it doesn't have to do with networking as much as education?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  mocowgirl @12.1.1    2 months ago

Possibly

Thomas
Senior Guide
12.1.3  Thomas  replied to  mocowgirl @12.1.1    2 months ago
wonder if it doesn't have to do with networking as much as education?

Yes, absolutely it does. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
13  Right Down the Center    2 months ago

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
14  seeder  Robert in Ohio    2 months ago

Thanks to all that have contributed to this point - I had hoped for a good discussion and this has been one so far.

charger 383
Professor Silent
15  charger 383    2 months ago

I worked summers in a hot smelly rayon factory and winters in a cold truck stop to go to college.  

Letting these people get out of paying college loans back while me and other people worked cheats us and is insulting.  Make them pay up. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1  Split Personality  replied to  charger 383 @15    2 months ago

what years?

my tuition was $3K a year at a Catholic University

My first new car was also $3k

It was also long before someone slipped into the 1980 spending Bill a clause that excluded student loans from being discharged in bankruptcy. 

Now tuitions are almost $100K 

For cheaper public institutions add travel or room and board.

These are loans to teen aged students without collateral or cosigners.

Either the loans or the bankruptcy laws need to change, probably retroactively.

This country willingly gave rich businesses and their owners, sometimes our own Senators & Reps, PPP loans during COVID

with no expectation of repayment to the tune of  $400 Billion and no one said Trump was buying votes.

Studies and criminal cases indicate as much as 15% of those loans were fraudulent waste. ($ 60Billion )

Why should those businesses have gotten off the hook when no one escaped other Great Recessions and Depressions?

But we just have to fuck the less fortunate eh?  The kids that will probably never own a house or get out from under this individual,

permanent mountain of debt because there were really no jobs in their majors just promises from the institutions that helped them

(and their parents) fill out the paperwork.

Among other things I sell life insurance and I still issue the occasional policy to help cover outstanding student loans for 

the parents or the students, now adults with kids.

That, I think is damn shame.

charger 383
Professor Silent
15.1.1  charger 383  replied to  Split Personality @15.1    2 months ago

1973-77.  AVTEX factory job was Union and paid very good with lots of overtime.  At Truckstop was about $1 above minimum because I could do shift check and park truck I got a little more and  got to be Assistant Foreman. 

My father was foreman at AVTEX and made good money but paying for most of college meant he didn't get another car for 4 years and other things. 

My first used Roadrunner was $700.  First year my college rent was $10 a week for a rattly motel shared with 4 others and I made my rent back by doing work there. 

I worked and didn't get in on all the college fun things and my parents didn't get to do things to pay for expenses.

My schooling got paid for, sacrifices were made, there were opportunity costs and things were done to get future benefits.

Inflation and rising costs are a problem for everybody. For example, my $700 Roadrunner if I still had it would be worth over $70,000 

I don't like doing things the right way and paying my bills and seeing others getting away without paying what they borrowed back and that cost coming out of my taxes. 

If I did not pay loans I took out Judgements would be made and my stuff repossessed.  I want them treated that way.      

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  charger 383 @15.1.1    2 months ago

We rescued the banks when they failed

We rescued the oil industry when Enron collapsed

We bail out businesses and other countries all the time.

With the national debt at 20 trillion  we took the Bush tax surpluses $$ not once but twice.

Now there' s a class of people 43.2 million strong carrying 2 trillion in debt

and people "like us" are whining because 10% of those people might get 5% relief ?

Sorry, I appreciate where you are coming from, but until the government makes

student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy and levels the playing field, I won't agree.

All of that debt is hold back a good economy from becoming a great economy.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.2    2 months ago

As pointed out in post 2.2.2, the debts may be wiped out in bankruptcy. Some efforts on the part of the defaulter may well be necessary, and it may not be easy.

People are free to donate or outright pay off someone else's student loans, but I don't see how ramming it up the taxpayer's ass is fair.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  charger 383 @15.1.1    2 months ago

Amen.

If you take out a loan, pay it back.

Seems logical.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
15.1.5  mocowgirl  replied to  Split Personality @15.1    2 months ago
Now tuitions are almost $100K 

Where?

I don't know about all states, but there should be more affordable options than $100K tuition for the majority of people seeking a higher education.

Missouri Public Colleges 2023 Tuition Comparison (collegetuitioncompare.com)
The average itemized cost for Missouri Public Colleges is as follows.
  • Tuition & Fees is $9,555 for state residents and $13,491 for out-of-state.
  • Cost per credit hour is $230 for state residents and $447 for out-of-state.
  • Boos & supplies cost is $1,143.
  • Living cost is $8,678 (on-campus), $8,986 (off-campus).

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
15.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.2    2 months ago
We rescued the oil industry when Enron collapsed

How did we rescue the oil industry when Enron collapsed?

I remember a lot of Congressional investigations and some corporate leaders going to prison, should we do the same with Universities?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
15.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.2    2 months ago

Maybe we need tuition reform and real transparency in costs.  Perhaps schools should be financially responsible for loans that they encourage students to take. We need to protect students from predatory universities across the land.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
15.1.8  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @15.1.7    2 months ago

Perhaps schools should be financially responsible for loans that they encourage students to take.

That's ridiculous - should Chase be responsible for the credit debt you run up or WalMart or Target

People need to own and repay their decisions on loans and other debts.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
15.1.9  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @15.1.6    2 months ago

How did we rescue the oil industry when Enron collapsed?

We didn't

KEY TAKEAWAYS

• Enron was an energy company that began to trade extensively in energy derivatives markets.
  • The company hid massive trading losses, ultimately leading to one of the largest accounting scandals and bankruptcy in recent history.
  • Enron executives used fraudulent accounting practices to inflate the company's revenues and hide debt in its subsidiaries.
  • The SEC, credit rating agencies, and investment banks were also accused of negligence—and, in some cases, outright deception—that enabled the fraud.
  • As a result of Enron, Congress passed the Sarbanes-Oxley Act to hold corporate executives more accountable for their company's financial statements.

What Was Enron? What Happened and Who Was Responsible (investopedia.com)

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
15.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Robert in Ohio @15.1.8    2 months ago

I see your point.  Real competition between WalMart and Target is a curb on raising prices.  Apparently there are no curbs on raising tuition/books/fees.

Availability of loans, grants, tiered pricing based on family finances seem to make it easy to raise rates.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  mocowgirl @15.1.5    2 months ago

Colleges charge more now for any number of reasons:

Tenured professors who may only teach two or three times a week while making large salaries.

Lavish accommodations for students.

Huge sports complexes.

Tons of curriculum programs that really don't prepare students for a decent paying job.

Administrative costs which skyrocketed and some colleges having an extravagant number of administrators compared to undergrads At Harvard, there are 2,600 more administrators than undergrads | The College Fix

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
15.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.11    2 months ago

Many universities have become more like all-inclusive resorts than focusing on education.  A five year all inclusive resort vacation.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
15.1.13  mocowgirl  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.11    2 months ago
Colleges charge more now for any number of reasons:

Like anything else, it will only change when people refuse to pay more than they should for the product.

I still support free two-year degrees at community college to give people an opportunity to pursue a profession instead of a piece of paper saying they attended classes for 4 years.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1.14  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.3    2 months ago
As pointed

and answered at 2.2.28

Only a few percent can afford the extra steps, remember, they are already in the bankruptcy policy and remaining funds are divided between current creditors, ergo it is almost financially impossible.

just over 1% are discharged from bankruptcy.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.14    2 months ago

So, the real fact is that student loans CAN be discharged in bankruptcy, as I stated and as stated in post 2.2.2 and as you just admitted, although your earlier post claimed otherwise.

People who take out loans should repay them.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1.16  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.15    2 months ago

According to the Bankruptcy codes, they cannot.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.16    2 months ago

you first claimed they couldn't be discharged, then said 1% are discharged, now you are back to claiming they can't be.

which is It?

If 1% are, how is it being done?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
15.1.18  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.16    2 months ago

“The vast majority of borrowers seeking discharge have received full or partial discharges,” according to the department. “In 99% of cases where courts have entered orders or judgments to date, the government recommended, and the court agreed to, a full discharge or partial discharge” of the borrower’s applicable federal student loan debt.“

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1.19  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @15.1.18    2 months ago

Great news for the current administration.  What happens during the next Administration if it isn't Biden.

“In 99% of cases where courts have entered orders or judgments to date, the government recommended, and the court agreed to, a full discharge or partial discharge” of the borrower’s applicable federal student loan debt.“

Typical political speech?

Furthermore, the data also suggests that more work needs to be done to make borrowers and practitioners aware of the new policy. So far, “632 cases were filed in the first ten months of the new process (November 2022 through September 2023),” said the Education Department. This is an impressive number and represents “a significant increase from recent years,” says the department. Still, this is a tiny fraction of nearly 40 million federal student loan borrowers. Many — including bankruptcy attorneys — may not be fully aware of the new guidance. The administration indicates that it expects more cases to be filed in the coming months and years.

So 99% of 632 is 625 cases out of 40.3 million.

Saying that's a remedy rings very, very hollow.

But thanks for finding that article

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1.20  Split Personality  replied to  mocowgirl @15.1.5    2 months ago

Albert Einstein Medical is in the news again.

Gottesman's bequest will help the Albert Einstein College of Medicine attract a more diverse pool of applicants, the school said in its press release. And that was exactly Gottesman's goal, she told the New York Times. A year's tuition at the school costs over $59,000, leaving many graduates with more than $200,000 in debt, the Times reported.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.19    2 months ago

I thought student loan debt could not be discharged in bankruptcy?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
15.1.22  mocowgirl  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.20    2 months ago
Albert Einstein Medical is in the news again.

Sincerely, I don't know why you are directing the costs of medical college to me.  I feel that anyone carrying a 3.5 grade average should have free college education.

I completely support free two-year college for anyone with a 3.0 average, maybe 2.5.

The issues, that I am seeing, are that people are either dropping out for various reasons or earning degrees that don't make them choice candidates for available jobs.

When I worked at Wally World headquarters, they were hiring college grads as hourly workers with little to no prospect of advancing into higher paying positions.  Because I have not worked corporate jobs for close to 20 years, I don't know the current status of hiring college graduates for hourly wages.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @15.1.18    2 months ago
“In 99% of cases where courts have entered orders or judgments to date, the government recommended, and the court agreed to, a full discharge or partial discharge” of the borrower’s applicable federal student loan debt.“

This HAS to be more fake conservative news because we have been told that student loan debt can not be discharged in bankruptcy.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
15.1.24  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.23    2 months ago

Yes it can if I remember correctly. You just have to jump through a couple extra hoops.

You may have your federal student loan discharged in bankruptcy only if you file a separate action, known as an "adversary proceeding,"  requesting the bankruptcy court find that   would impose undue hardship on you and your dependents.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.25  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @15.1.24    2 months ago

Oh, you and those far-right fascist "news" sites at it again!

if it can not be, then it simply can not be!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1.26  Split Personality  replied to  mocowgirl @15.1.22    2 months ago
should have free college education. I completely support free two-year college for anyone with a 3.0 average, maybe 2.5.

Isn't that the ultimate form of "loan forgiveness"?

While admirable who is going to pay for that?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.26    2 months ago

The same ones who are footing the bill for Biden's "forgiveness" of legal debt.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1.28  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.23    2 months ago
This HAS to be more fake conservative news because we have been told that student loan debt can not be discharged in bankruptcy.

Actually I addressed that as more liberal speak by the Biden Administration

They claim full or partial relief to 625 people out of the 40.3 million debtors with student loans.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.29  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.28    2 months ago

Well, that is a pretty neat trick seeing as how you say that NO STUDENT LOANS can be discharged in bankruptcy, how did they manage it?

Did the Biden Admin break the law?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.30  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.28    2 months ago
They claim full or partial relief to 625 people out of the 40.3 million debtors with student loans.

Like many stats, kind of meaningless.

What would be relevant would be the number who applied and then received relief. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
15.1.31  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.30    2 months ago
  • Under a new procedure for student loan borrowers filing for bankruptcy, 99% of applicants had at least some of their debt discharged.
  • A streamlined process implemented last year is intended to make discharging student loan debt easier 

https://www.investopedia.com/more-student-loan-borrowers-are-getting-debt-discharged-through-bankruptcy-8403729#:~:text=Key%20Takeaways,discharging%20student%20loan%20debt%20easier.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
15.1.32  mocowgirl  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.26    2 months ago
Isn't that the ultimate form of "loan forgiveness"?

Not if structured correctly.  

I would hope that our government would engineer a corporate sponorship program like many businesses currently have for their employees except this would involve a potential employee base.

I know I am probably expecting too much from a government that would rather spend trillions of dollars waging war rather than take care of our own citizens.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1.33  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.30    2 months ago
What would be relevant would be the number who applied and then received relief. 

I can repost it for you if that helps; per the Forbes article

632 applied, 99% = 625 were granted some sort of unspecified relief.

They also had to already be enrolled in "SAVE" and on an income adjusted repayment plan for those who qualified.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.34  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.33    2 months ago

Good to know,  loans can be handled through bankruptcy!

charger 383
Professor Silent
15.1.35  charger 383  replied to  mocowgirl @15.1.22    2 months ago

If it had been free with a 3.0 average I would have done what it took to make that grade rather than pumping fuel into 18 wheelers in cold weather. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
15.1.36  mocowgirl  replied to  charger 383 @15.1.35    2 months ago
If it had been free with a 3.0 average I would have done what it took to make that grade rather than pumping fuel into 18 wheelers in cold weather.

It would not have made a difference for me.  I was a straight A student.

My homelife was such a mess that I quit school and got married at 17 to escape physical and mental abuse by my adoptive parents.

A year later, I got my GED.  In 1980 - 81, I took computer accounting on a Pell Grant, but did not finish because my husband was transferred from TN to HI.  I never  explored further education opportunities on Oahu.

While employed at Wal-Mart, my department was given free courses on computer programs, communication and negotiation skills (which were required).  I took every class Wal-Mart would pay for whether it was required or not.  I don't have a degree, but I loved learning new things.  Now I struggle to comprehend information that used to come so easily.  This is why I usually post links and videos to information that I am not sure I am conveying accurately.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.37  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.33    2 months ago
632 applied, 99% = 625 were granted some sort of unspecified relief.

So those willing to put in the time and effort win the vast majority of time.

Sounds a whole lot different THAT way than 625 people out of the 40.3 million debtors with student loans.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
15.1.38  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.37    2 months ago

Apparently a lot of borrowers just don’t want to be bothered with paperwork.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.39  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @15.1.38    2 months ago
Apparently a lot of borrowers just don’t want to be bothered with paperwork.

Might be too much work for people unwilling or incapable of paying their legal debts.

charger 383
Professor Silent
16  charger 383    2 months ago

Where is the money to pay for this debt forgiveness coming from?  

Biden might say it is forgiven but it is still owed somewhere.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1  Texan1211  replied to  charger 383 @16    2 months ago

The Magic Money Fairy delivery is expected any year now.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
16.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  charger 383 @16    2 months ago

Check your wallet jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
18  seeder  Robert in Ohio    2 months ago

421483974_3708495562751714_2347490944485565722_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8cd0a2&_nc_ohc=OeGGAox6XuoAX_mCIlc&_nc_ht=scontent.fosu2-2.fna&oh=03_AdSFI-AtuyBoHJaD03CBjfy59KvwMTwF7ekaFsvzjYDTaA&oe=6601D878

charger 383
Professor Silent
18.1  charger 383  replied to  Robert in Ohio @18    2 months ago

and let them laugh at you

charger 383
Professor Silent
19  charger 383    2 months ago

Student loan debt should not be able to be gotten out of in bankruptcy because they supposedly spent the loan money for knowledge and without hurting the person that can not be taken.

The knowledge they borrowed to obtain should have allowed them to make enough money to pay it back.  

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
19.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  charger 383 @19    2 months ago

Interesting perspective thanks for sharing

charger 383
Professor Silent
20  charger 383    2 months ago

Wonder how the people who went into the military for the educational benefits feel seeing some not having to pay their loans while they went off to war to get education?  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
20.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  charger 383 @20    2 months ago
Wonder how the people who went into the military for the educational benefits feel seeing some not having to pay their loans while they went off to war to get education?  

In HS, my father and I argued about college.  He wanted me to live at home and commute the first year and then, depending on my grades, perhaps transfer to a better state school for my sophomore year.  I want to go out of state right away.  

He said you’ll be 18 and can go wherever you can afford, I am just describing what I’ll pay for.

I then applied for a ROTC scholarship and didn’t tell him until I had to go for a military physical out of state.  He put me on a Grayhound.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
20.1.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @20.1    2 months ago

DotW

I had a somewhat similar conversation back in the day - my father had a rule, he called it the "Rule of 18" - at age 18, after graduating from high school (or not) his children had choices - (1) get a job, (2) get a job and go to college on their own dime, (3) go into the military or (4) just go.

I chose #3 and was able to get my college degree while on active duty (at night and on weekends when not deployed) - I didn't always work in the field of my degree, but I was glad to have it and very proud to have accomplished it (it took many more than four years to get it done).

And it was paid for when I reached out and accepted the diploma.

Working one's way through college, paying for it yourself, what a concept.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
21  Sean Treacy    2 months ago

What student loans pay for by allowing universities to  inflate tuition:

Universities are boosting spending on “diversity officials”. At the University of California, Berkeley, for example, the number of diversity bureaucrats has grown to 175 or so, even as state funding to the university has been cut. Diversity officials promote the hiring of ethnic minorities and women, launch campaigns to promote dialogue, and write strategic plans on increasing equity and inclusion on campus. Many issue guidance on avoiding sexist language, unacceptable lyrics and inappropriate clothing and hairstyles. Some are paid lavishly: the University of Michigan’s diversity chief is reported to earn $385,000 a year. What explains their rise?

Administrators now outnumber students on some campuses, fulfilling the vital role of telling adults what are unacceptable lyrics and inappropriate clothing.