╌>

State senator 'stands by' beliefs after calling LGBTQ+ Oklahomans 'filth'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  7 months ago  •  8 comments

By:   Zach Rael (KOCO)

State senator 'stands by' beliefs after calling LGBTQ+ Oklahomans 'filth'
Days after calling LGBTQ+ Oklahomans "filth," a state senator issued a statement on his comments, saying he stands by what he said

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Days after calling LGBTQ+ Oklahomans "filth," a state senator issued a statement on his comments, saying he stands by what he said

Zach Rael Anchor/Reporter State senator 'stands by' beliefs after calling LGBTQ+ Oklahomans 'filth'

A LOT OF REACTION RIGHT NOW. KOCO ZACH RAEL WITH THE STORY WE'RE A REPUBLICAN STATE SUPER MAJORITY IN THE HOUSE AND SENATE. I REPRESENT A CONSTITUENCY THAT DOESN'T WANT THAT FILTH IN OKLAHOMA THAT IS STATE SENATOR TOM WOODS REFERRING TO THE LGBTQ PLUS COMMUNITY AS, QUOTE, FILTH DURING A PUBLIC EVENT LAST WEEK. THE COMMENTS CAME AFTER AN AUDIENCE MEMBER ASKED WOODS ABOUT LEGISLATION TARGETING THE LGBTQ PLUS COMMUNITY. THAT AUDIO WAS RECORDED BY THE TAHLEQUAH DAILY PRESS. WE ARE RELATED TO STATE, UH, WE'RE GOING WE ARE GOING TO FIGHT TO KEEP THAT BILL OUT OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA BECAUSE WE'RE A CHRISTIAN STATE. UH, WE'RE A MORAL STATE. ON MONDAY, SENATE PRO TEM GREG TREAT CALLED WOODS COMMENTS INAPPROPRIATE AND SAID THAT HE SPOKE WITH THE STATE SENATOR. HE WENT ON TO SAY, QUOTE, HIS REMARKS WERE NOT IN ANY WAY REFLECTIVE OF MYSELF. THE SENATE REPUBLICAN CAUCUS SAID LEADERSHIP OR THE SENATE OVERALL, IN MY OPINION, HE HAD A SERIOUS LAPSE OF JUDGMENT. MEANWHILE, OTHER ELECTED REPUBLICANS TOOK A MUCH STRONGER APPROACH, LIKE STATE LABOR COMMISSIONER LESLIE OSBORNE, WHO SAID WOODS COMMENTS DESERVE BUSTED HER. IN A STATEMENT, SHE SAID, QUOTE, A FACTION EMERGED WITHIN THE REPUBLICAN PARTY CHARACTERIZED BY HATE AND DIVISIVENESS OVERSHADOWING THE PRINCIPLES THE PARTY ONCE HELD DEAR. WE SHOULD RISE ABOVE, SPEWING HATE AND LEGISLATING CONDEMNATION FOR EVERY CITIZEN WHO DOES NOT LOOK LIKE US, VOTE LIKE US, WORSHIP LIKE US, OR IDENTIFY OR LOVE LIKE US. BUT WOODS SAYS HE'S NOT BACKING DOWN IN A STATEMENT TO KOCO, SAYING I STAND BEHIND WHAT I BELIEVE IN THE GROUPS AND INDIVIDUALS WHO PUSH GENDER REASSIGNMENT ON CHILDREN IN OUR SCHOOLS, OR ANYONE ELSE WHO IS TRYING TO.

Zach Rael Anchor/Reporter

Days after calling LGBTQ+ Oklahomans "filth," a state senator issued a statement on his comments, saying he stands by what he said. State Sen. Tom Woods is facing growing public outcry and even scrutiny from those within his own Republican Party. Senate leadership called Woods' comments "reprehensible" and "horrifying.">> Download the KOCO 5 AppBut the state senator from eastern Oklahoma has not apologized and appears to be doubling down. "We are a Republican state - supermajority - in the House and Senate. I represent a constituency that doesn't want that filth in Oklahoma," Woods said, referring to the LGBTQ+ community during a public event last week. The comments came after an audience member asked Woods about legislation targeting the LGBTQ+ community. The audio was recorded by the Tahlequah Daily Press. "We are a religious state, and we are going to fight it to keep that filth out of the state of Oklahoma, because we are a Christian state. We are a moral state," Woods said. On Monday, Senate Pro Tempore Greg Treat called Woods' comments inappropriate, and he said he spoke to the state senator. "His remarks were not in any way reflective of myself, the Senate Republican caucus, Senate leadership or the Senate overall. In my opinion, he had a serious lapse of judgment," Treat said. Meanwhile, other elected Republicans took a stronger approach, like State Labor Commissioner Leslie Osborn, who said Woods' comments "disgusted" her. "A faction emerged within the (Republican) party characterized by hate and divisiveness, overshadowing the principles the party once held dear," Osborn said in a statement. "We should rise above spewing hate and legislating condemnation for every citizen who does not look like us, vote like us worship like us or identify or love like us."Get the latest news stories of interest by clicking here.But Woods said he is not backing down in a statement to KOCO. "I stand behind what I believe in. The groups and individuals who push gender reassignment on children in our schools, and anyone else who is trying to normalize behavior that shouldn't be tolerated, is unacceptable in my mind," Woods said in a statement. His comment has also drawn criticism from religious groups. The Jewish Federation of Oklahoma said they fight all forms of discrimination and hate, adding that saying Oklahoma is a "Christian state" goes against the United States Constitution, which "unequivocally prohibits the government from establishing or endorsing any religion." Top Headlines Oklahoma City Public Schools Superintendent Sean McDaniel submits resignation Driver dies after crash on Broadway Extension in Oklahoma City 2 teens arrested after shooting outside OKC convenience store that left 1 dead, 2 injured What would happen without a Leap Day? More than you might think Woman dies in ATV crash while pulling roping dummy in Bryan County

Days after calling LGBTQ+ Oklahomans "filth," a state senator issued a statement on his comments, saying he stands by what he said.

State Sen. Tom Woods is facing growing public outcry and even scrutiny from those within his own Republican Party. Senate leadership called Woods' comments "reprehensible" and "horrifying."

But the state senator from eastern Oklahoma has not apologized and appears to be doubling down.

"We are a Republican state - supermajority - in the House and Senate. I represent a constituency that doesn't want that filth in Oklahoma," Woods said, referring to the LGBTQ+ community during a public event last week.

The comments came after an audience member asked Woods about legislation targeting the LGBTQ+ community. The audio was recorded by the Tahlequah Daily Press.

"We are a religious state, and we are going to fight it to keep that filth out of the state of Oklahoma, because we are a Christian state. We are a moral state," Woods said.

On Monday, Senate Pro Tempore Greg Treat called Woods' comments inappropriate, and he said he spoke to the state senator.

"His remarks were not in any way reflective of myself, the Senate Republican caucus, Senate leadership or the Senate overall. In my opinion, he had a serious lapse of judgment," Treat said.

Meanwhile, other elected Republicans took a stronger approach, like State Labor Commissioner Leslie Osborn, who said Woods' comments "disgusted" her.

"A faction emerged within the (Republican) party characterized by hate and divisiveness, overshadowing the principles the party once held dear," Osborn said in a statement. "We should rise above spewing hate and legislating condemnation for every citizen who does not look like us, vote like us worship like us or identify or love like us."

But Woods said he is not backing down in a statement to KOCO.

"I stand behind what I believe in. The groups and individuals who push gender reassignment on children in our schools, and anyone else who is trying to normalize behavior that shouldn't be tolerated, is unacceptable in my mind," Woods said in a statement.

His comment has also drawn criticism from religious groups. The Jewish Federation of Oklahoma said they fight all forms of discrimination and hate, adding that saying Oklahoma is a "Christian state" goes against the United States Constitution, which "unequivocally prohibits the government from establishing or endorsing any religion."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    7 months ago

28 year old Oklahoma State Senator Tom Woods' brilliant defense of his and his party's hate for gay citizens was delivered in ALL CAPS.

Is it any wonder gay kids are being murdered in Oklahoma schools?

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @1    7 months ago
Is it any wonder gay kids are being murdered in Oklahoma schools?

How many in the last year?  How does that compare to one week of murders in Chicago?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    7 months ago

Hate isn't moral or Christian

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    7 months ago

he'll be the next rwnj that gets caught with his boxers around his ankles in the company of a teenage boy...

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    7 months ago

Another dude with two assholes.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3  Right Down the Center    7 months ago

" I represent a constituency that doesn't want that filth in Oklahoma," Woods said, referring to the LGBTQ+ community during a public event last week."

He may very well find out how true that is in the next election.

JBB
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JBB    7 months ago

original

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
4.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @4    7 months ago

Say THEIR names (when possible)

Where is the outrage?