╌>

VS and Walgreens to start selling abortion pills this month

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  7 months ago  •  17 comments

By:   By Megan Cerullo

VS and Walgreens to start selling abortion pills this month
Women are increasingly turning to the abortion pill, rather than surgery, to end unwanted pregnancies

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

CVS and Walgreens, the two largest pharmacy chains in the U.S., will start selling abortion pills  as soon as this month, the companies said Friday.

Access to the drug mifepristone, commonly known as the abortion pill, will require a prescription. The Food and Drug Administration approved mifepristone for abortions in 2000, deeming it a safe and effective way to terminate an unwanted pregnancy. 

Both CVS and Walgreens told CBS News they have become certified to dispense the pills following regulatory changes the FDA made last year that allow retail pharmacies to sell the pills.

Women are increasingly turning to the abortion pill, rather than surgery, to end unwanted pregnancies. In 2020, medication abortions accounted for more than half of all abortions in the U.S. That's caused anti-abortion rights advocates to sue the FDA over the drug's approval, as well as to   stage protests   outside of pharmacies after CVS and Walgreens  said last year   that they planned to make the medication available to patients.

"It's absolutely a game-changer," Rabia Muqaddam, senior staff attorney for the Center for Reproductive Rights, told CBS News Friday. "This type of dispensing is going to be huge for patients who struggle to travel. We're going to see much better health outcomes."    

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    7 months ago

Abortion access was  curtailed in many states , particularly in the South, after the Supreme Court in 2022   struck down   the 1973  Roe v. Wade decision .

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    7 months ago

Walgreens will sell mifepristone in some of its stores in five states: New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, California and Illinois. 

"Walgreens has completed the FDA certification process to dispense mifepristone and expects to begin dispensing within a week, consistent with federal and state laws," the company said in a Friday statement to CBS News. "We are beginning a phased rollout in select locations to allow us to ensure quality, safety, and privacy for our patients, providers, and team members."

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    7 months ago

CVS said it will begin dispensing the pills at pharmacies in Massachusetts and Rhode Island in the coming weeks, according to a statement sent to CBS News. CVS said the pill will cost $79, but may be covered by insurance for some patients

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Krishna @3    7 months ago

Now we just need them to be able to stay in operation in our most urban areas.

Yesterday, here in the nation’s capital, CVS closed its door in Columbia Heights.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     7 months ago

This is good news.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    7 months ago

Should be available at no cost nationwide at no charge.  

fineline
Freshman Silent
5.1  fineline  replied to  charger 383 @5    7 months ago

It should be twice as free ?

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.1  charger 383  replied to  fineline @5.1    7 months ago

If it makes it work better

fineline
Freshman Silent
5.1.2  fineline  replied to  charger 383 @5.1.1    7 months ago

If it's free once, won't that be sufficient ? 

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.3  charger 383  replied to  fineline @5.1.2    7 months ago

It should be, but with anything in this issue you just can't be sure enough

fineline
Freshman Silent
5.1.4  fineline  replied to  charger 383 @5.1.3    7 months ago

Ah hell, never mind . Suggest you open the garage door next time you  tune that 383, carbon monoxide messes with your head .

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.5  charger 383  replied to  fineline @5.1.4    7 months ago

The 383 was worn out so replaced it with a 440 6pack and am cautious about fumes.  How that all relates to mifepristone is that each is a solution to a problem:   

Motor wore out, replace with bigger and better one

Fumes, solution run it outside

Unwanted pregnancy take mifepristone 

fineline
Freshman Silent
5.1.6  fineline  replied to  charger 383 @5.1.5    7 months ago

383's had/have a butt-load of torque, I'm bettin' that triple deuce 440 is a real screamer and fun to tune . Back to mifepristone, referring to your #5, isn't "available at NO COST nationwide at NO CHARGE" the same as "twice as free" ? And why the hell isn't free once sufficient ?

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.7  charger 383  replied to  fineline @5.1.6    7 months ago

Free once is good enough and I should have typed with no questions asked.  As for tuning the 440 the mechanic friend who built it told me if I wanted him to work on it to keep my paws off them. 

fineline
Freshman Silent
5.1.8  fineline  replied to  charger 383 @5.1.7    7 months ago

I was being factitious when I said "fun" to tune. They can be a challenge. The key is a good vacuum gage set-up, along with excellent hearing . Next time out, keep it between the lines !

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  fineline @5.1    7 months ago
It should be twice as free ?

No-- three times!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  charger 383 @5    7 months ago
Should be available at no cost nationwide at no charge.

I agree!

But there are some states whose government is controlled-- or greatly influenced-- by religious fundamentalists--- who greatly oppose any sort of abortion (Not only by an actual physical operation, but even by taking pills.