╌>

Pacific Islanders and Native Hawaiians highly supportive of legal abortion - poll | Abortion | The Guardian

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  2 months ago  •  30 comments

By:   the Guardian

Pacific Islanders and Native Hawaiians highly supportive of legal abortion - poll | Abortion | The Guardian
Nearly 80% of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders in the US say abortion should be legal in all or most cases

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Nearly 80% of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders in the US say abortion should be legal in all or most cases

A new poll shows that Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders in the US are highly supportive of legal abortion, even in situations in which the pregnant person wants an abortion for any reason.

Texas woman denied abortion decries 'cruelty' of Trump 15-week ban proposalRead more

With abortion rights poised to be one of the major issues in the 2024 election, the poll from AAPI Data and the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research found that nearly 80% of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders think abortion should be legal in all or most cases. They're also supportive of federal government action to preserve abortion rights: three-quarters say Congress should pass a law guaranteeing access to legal abortions nationwide.

By comparison, an AP-NORC poll conducted last June found that 64% of US respondents think abortion should be legal in all or most cases, and about six in 10 overall say Congress should pass a law guaranteeing access.

Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders are more likely than Americans overall to identify as Democrats, which may partly explain why their levels of support for legal abortion are higher than among the general population. But even among Democrats, they are more supportive of legal abortion later in pregnancy. Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Democrats are especially likely to support legal abortion without any limits - more than half of this group say abortion should be legal in all cases, compared with 40% of Democrats overall.

Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Republicans are also more likely than Republicans overall to support a law guaranteeing access to legal abortion nationwide. More than half (57%) of these Republicans think abortion should be legal in at least some cases, compared with 38% of Republicans in general. About half (51%) of Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Republicans also think Congress should pass a law guaranteeing access to legal abortion nationwide, while only 32% of Republicans overall want this to happen.

Explore more on these topics

• Abortion
  • Race
  • Reproductive rights
  • Women's health
  • Hawaii
  • Pacific islands
  • news

ShareReuse this content

Red Box Rules

OFF-TOPIC COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT WARNING.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     2 months ago

Polling among Native Americans finds the same result as this article.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    2 months ago

like in school, we need more of these people in congress so that the mentally defective maga can copy their work...

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 months ago

LOL, I'm sure that they would have to copy it since original thought is in their DNA.

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
1.2  goose is back  replied to  Kavika @1    2 months ago
Polling among Native Americans finds the same result as this article.

Did they ask them about states that they reside, that is who makes the laws about abortion. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  goose is back @1.2    2 months ago
Did they ask them about states that they reside, that is who makes the laws about abortion. 

Since I didn't conduct the survey I don't know all the questions that were asked and why would that be anything of importance?

BTW, in many NA cultures, abortion is considered a right and has been practiced for hundreds of years.

This link might help you understand our feeling on abortion.

You might want to ask yourself the question why were forced sterlization forced on NA women in the 1960s, 70s, and 80s.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @1.2.1    2 months ago
why were forced sterlization forced on NA women in the 1960s, 70s, and 80s.

If anybody here has to ask that question then they are totally ignorant, don't pay attention, or just don't give a damn

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.2    2 months ago

The usual is no answer or I didn't know that. So I'm not expecting a response on my questtion.

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
1.2.4  goose is back  replied to  Kavika @1.2.1    2 months ago
why would that be anything of importance?

Because that's who makes the laws regarding abortion or did you not know that. 

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
1.2.5  goose is back  replied to  Kavika @1.2.1    2 months ago
You might want to ask yourself the question why were forced sterlization forced on NA women in the 1960s, 70s, and 80s.

Why? I had no hand in it, the same as most people in the US, same for slavery. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.6  seeder  Kavika   replied to  goose is back @1.2.4    2 months ago
Because that's who makes the laws regarding abortion or did you not know that. 

Seems that you don't know it, Reservation do not come under state law, it's federal. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.7  seeder  Kavika   replied to  goose is back @1.2.5    2 months ago
Why? I had no hand in it, the same as most people in the US, same for slavery. 

You didn't have any hand in it and therefore can't render an opinion except the time worn excuse. 

Give it a try and support it or condemn it, it will give you some credibility.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Kavika @1    2 months ago

Define "legal" abortion. Should restrictions or conditions of any kind be placed upon abortion

Do these same groups approve of abortion after viability?

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
1.3.1  TOM PA  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    2 months ago

Define "viability."  Does that include "mechanical aid?"  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.2  TᵢG  replied to  TOM PA @1.3.1    2 months ago

Good question.   I think viability should be defined biologically.   There is a point in the development of a fetus where it has all of its systems in place.   That is, the systems necessary to survive outside of the womb exist.   They may be weak, but they are biologically intact.   This occurs late in the second trimester.

And due to modern technology, we would need to cover the situation of premature births and emergency sections which give birth to a biologically non-viable person.   That is, in all cases, if one is born then one is immediately granted legal personhood; regardless of biological viability.

Note:  another very good point is when the fetus feels pain.   This is not yet decided, but some believe the fetus can feel pain even in the first trimester. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.3.3  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    2 months ago

Since you are coming from a certain viewpoint here is a link to get you started on how indigenous people feel about abortion.

You might want to ask yourself why forced sterilization was used on NA women (government-approved) in the 1960s through the 80s.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.3.4  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.2    2 months ago
Good question.   I think viability should be defined biologically.   There is a point in the development of a fetus where it has all of its systems in place.   That is, the systems necessary to survive outside of the womb exist.   They may be weak, but they are biologically intact.   This occurs late in the second trimester. And due to modern technology, we would need to cover the situation of premature births and emergency sections which give birth to a biologically non-viable person.   That is, in all cases, if one is born then one is immediately granted legal personhood; regardless of biological viability.

All good points. As I remember, viability used to be defined as the ability for the newborn to survive outside the womb without mechanical devices but technology has progressed greatly since then. This may be where the 15 week timeline came from but I'm not sure.

Note:  another very good point is when the fetus feels pain.   This is not yet decided, but some believe the fetus can feel pain even in the first trimester. 

Yes, they are just guessing at this time. This is much like the 'fetal heartbeat' issue where the 6 week timeline comes from. From science all we know is that the tissue that will eventually form into the heart does start to pulse, but a heart has not yet developed so there is no way for the fetus to survive outside of a womb yet. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @1.3.4    2 months ago

I'm not so sure I agree with the 15 week argument. I've been pregnant twice and I didn't feel movement with the first until after 20 weeks. With the second, it's right around 20 weeks.

I don't believe it's possible for a 15 week fetus to survive even with mechanical help. Hell, I'm not so sure it's possible at 20 weeks.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.3.6  Snuffy  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.5    2 months ago

After some digging, Republicans (some, not all by any stretch) talk about a 15 week window as the majority of European countries have that same 15 week window. What the Republicans don't say is the European countries that allow abortion, that 15 week window is for "elective" abortions. They still allow abortions after that about for ' therapeutic' abortions which are abortions for medical reasons.

Additional digging found that the 15 week window is because someone said that's when the fetus can feel pain. But the science doesn't seem to support that.

The science has not changed, medical researchers, physicians and legal experts said. Mainstream scholarship suggests that all the elements necessary for a fetus to experience pain — including not only pain sensors but also the brain components to translate that sensation into actual feeling, including the cerebrum — do not develop until far later in pregnancy, at least 24 weeks and possibly closer to 28 weeks. How 15-week abortion bans became the center of Republican debate (19thnews.org)

Which in my mind would bring us back to the 24 week argument as that's usually when the fetus can survive outside the womb.

I would love to see some sort of compromise with our "leadership" in Washington to find a solution to this. I really dislike this return to the 1960's with the patchwork laws around this issue. Unfortunately we don't elect the best and brightest to Washington and the two-party system has determined that they are willing to sacrifice compromise in the search for perfection, based on their terms.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.3.7  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.5    2 months ago

21 weeks is the record for 4 or 5 survivors since 2021

Curtis Means and Richard Hutchinson were given 0% chances to survive.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.3.8  Split Personality  replied to  Snuffy @1.3.6    2 months ago
Which in my mind would bring us back to the 24 week argument as that's usually when the fetus can survive outside the womb.

50% survival rate at 24 weeks

60% survival rate at 28 weeks

survivors in this range usually have permanent issues with lungs.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.3.9  Snuffy  replied to  Split Personality @1.3.8    2 months ago

Yeah, nothing in this life is guaranteed. But the 24 week viability was picked because before that time the fetus usually cannot survive as lungs and other organs have not formed. At least by the 24th week they have a chance. 

For myself, I would pick the 24 week point to split between elective and therapeutic abortions. There can be medical reasons for abortion after the 24 week window, but I do like what some of the European countries have done in that regards. There is a waiting period and mandatory counseling before the therapeutic abortion is performed. 

But due to the issues in Washington I don't expect to see any progress on this issue in my remaining lifetime.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.3.10  Split Personality  replied to  Snuffy @1.3.9    2 months ago

Agreed

evilone
Professor Guide
2  evilone    2 months ago

November is going to be very interesting.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  evilone @2    2 months ago
November is going to be very interesting.

It sure is. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.2  TᵢG  replied to  evilone @2    2 months ago

It will either be disappointing or a nightmare.   I hope to be disappointed.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3  bugsy    2 months ago

More than likely Filipinos are not part of this. They are Pacific Islanders. I am married to one.

The vast majority of them are Catholic and abortion is illegal throughout the country. No one has tried to get a law passed to allow it, and probably will never.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1  Gsquared  replied to  bugsy @3    2 months ago

My wife is a devout Catholic originally from the Philippines.  While she doesn't personally believe in abortion she is adamant that it is a woman's right to choose and no one else's business.  She is opposed to any law taking away that choice.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @3    2 months ago

While it is illegal ( it's even in their constitution protecting the life of the infant from conception )

Abortions were in the 400,000 to 500,000 range for decades.

In 2011 there were over 100,000 hospital admissions for botched abortions.

While the RH Act of 2012 covers most prevention, and post abortion medical care,

it specifically does not cover abortions.

yet, they happen.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.3  seeder  Kavika   replied to  bugsy @3    2 months ago

Both Columbia and Mexico de criminalized abortion and both countries are majority Catholic, I believe that Mexico is close to 80% Catholic and Columbia a bit less. So changes can be made.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.3.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @3.3    2 months ago

meh, I've found the 10 commandments is like a to do list for a lot of catholics...