╌>

WATCH: Democrat frontrunner in tight Senate race drops racial slur during House hearing | Fox News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  george  •  one month ago  •  5 comments

By:   Brandon Gillespie (Fox News)

WATCH: Democrat frontrunner in tight Senate race drops racial slur during House hearing | Fox News
Rep. David Trone, D-Md., the Democrat frontrunner in Maryland's contentious Senate race, dropped a racial slur during a House Budget Committee hearing.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Democrat frontrunner in tight Senate race drops racial slur during House hearing

Rep. David Trone, D-Md., the Democrat frontrunner in Maryland's contentious Senate race, dropped a racial slur during a House Budget Committee hearing.

Join Fox News for access to this content Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account - free of charge. Please enter a valid email address.

The Democrat frontrunner in what could be one of the most closely watched Senate races this year uttered a racial slur during a Thursday House Budget Committee hearing, something he says was unintentional.

Rep. David Trone, D-Md., dropped the disparaging term for Black people while speaking during the hearing about tax policy with Shalanda Young, the director of the Office of Budget and Management, who was testifying before the committee.

"So this Republican jigaboo that — it's the tax rate that's stopping business investment, it's just completely faulty by people who have never run a business," he said. "They've never been there. They don't have a clue what they're talking about."

Rep. David Trone, D-Md., arrives to the U.S. Capitol before the House voted to keep the government funded into March, on Thursday, January 18, 2024.(Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images)

When reached for comment, Trone admitted to Fox News Digital he used the term, but said he misspoke while meaning to use a different word.

"Today while attempting to use the word 'bugaboo' in a hearing, I used a phrase that is offensive. That word has a long dark terrible history. It should never be used any time, anywhere, in any conversation," Trone said.

"I recognize that as a White man, I have privilege. And as an elected official, I have a responsibility for the words I use — especially in the heat of the moment. Regardless of what I meant to say, I shouldn't have used that language," he added.

Representative David Trone, a Democrat from Maryland and US Senate candidate, during a roundtable discussion on federal policy goals for women's health issues in Rockville, Maryland, US, on Saturday, Dec. 9, 2023.(Graeme Sloan/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Earlier this week, Trone faced heat for other comments he made at a candidate forum earlier this month in which he declared his support for granting citizenship and voting rights to the millions of illegal immigrants residing in the U.S.

He holds a fundraising and polling advantage among a crowded Democrat primary field. His closest challenger is Prince George's County Executive Angela Alsobrooks, who is Black.

Fox News Digital has reached out to Alsobrooks for comment.

Angela Alsobrooks speaks during a campaign event for her run for the U.S. Senate at Monument City Brewing Company in Baltimore, Maryland, on October 23, 2023.(Amanda Andrade-Rhoades/For The Washington Post via Getty Images)

He will likely face Maryland's former Republican governor, Larry Hogan, in the general election. Early polls suggested a tight race between the two. However, a Washington Post/University of Maryland poll released Wednesday showed Hogan with a double-digit lead.

Elections analysts rate the race as "likely" Democrat, but Hogan's name recognition and high approval rating at the conclusion of his second term last year could further pose a challenge to Democrats' hopes of maintaining control of the Senate.

Get the latest updates from the 2024 campaign trail, exclusive interviews and more at our Fox News Digital election hub.

Brandon Gillespie is an associate editor at Fox News. Follow him on X at @BGillespieAL.

Red Box Rules

No Trump

No Fascism

No MAGA BS.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

George
Junior Expert
1  seeder  George    one month ago
"So this Republican jigaboo that

At least he is honest about his racism. 

Trone admitted to Fox News Digital he used the term, but said he misspoke while meaning to use a different word.

Anybody want to place any bets on what letter that other word was going to start with? 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    one month ago
"Today while attempting to use the word 'bugaboo' in a hearing, I used a phrase that is offensive. That word has a long dark terrible history. It should never be used any time, anywhere, in any conversation," Trone said.

And yet you said it exposing your true Democrat colors.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    one month ago

That is one reason why minorities are leaving the democrat party.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4  Drinker of the Wry    one month ago

Perhaps he forgot that he was being recorded.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5  Ed-NavDoc    one month ago

Funny that he acknowledged saying that, but nothing saying he apologized for saying it.