By:  krishna  •  2 weeks ago  •  21 comments

CNBC’s Cities of Success Denver, Boulder: Tech is booming

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  author  Krishna    2 weeks ago

A lot of people are worrying about inflation but a lot of that is the result of economic growth. A lot of American cities are growing above trend and Denver and Boulder offer many examples of that . . .

So we take a look at some of the policy decisions that have brought that about.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Krishna @1    2 weeks ago

my stomping grounds for the last 50+ years...

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  author  Krishna  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 weeks ago
my stomping grounds for the last 50+ years...

I've never been there but have heard good things about it.

Obviously you like it there-- what are some of the things you like most?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    2 weeks ago

Lived in Denver & Boulder (and Nederland, Pine Junction, Cripple Creek, etc...) back in the 70s and mainly only cared about the music, the mountains, the skiing and the parties. Denver's air inversion could be a pain but overall had good times. Had a bumper sticker on one of my cars that said "DON'T CALIFORNICATE COLORADO". Looks like they did.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    2 weeks ago

Mr Giggles was born and raised in Denver. I've been there lots of times. I don't like the city but I do like going up into the mountains even tho I always get a nose bleed

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  cjcold  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.3    2 weeks ago

One needs to climatize at 5,302 ft. for a week or two before going higher. 

So many friends from the low-lands just wanted to climb the Rockies without acclimating first.

Sigh. Nursed many out-of-staters through altitude sickness when I took them above 10,000 ft.

Since I am now an ancient ground hugger in the land of OZ, doubt I could even drive up a 14,000 footer without O2 these days.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Krishna @1    2 weeks ago

So we take a look at some of the policy decisions that have brought that about.

• Many of us have mortgages with locked in low rates
  • Labor Participation Rate continues to closer to historical normal
  • Productivity growth as a result of investments during times of COVID
  • Leftover stimulus money kept consumer demand strong

Not sure that I would call these policy decisions except for the last one.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  cjcold  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.2    2 weeks ago

So are you saying Biden has been doing a good job despite what the feds have been doing?

Hope you realize that Biden has no control of what the FEDS do.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @1.2.1    2 weeks ago
So are you saying Biden has been doing a good job despite what the feds have been doing?

Which of those four bullets is Biden responsible for?

Hope you realize that Biden has no control of what the FEDS do.

Yes, I do.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  author  Krishna    2 weeks ago

In Denver and Boulder its much more about quantum computing, and life sciences and and aerospace. In order to bring that about you need a labor force. 

We have a great labor force. We offer that, plus low taxes, a positive regulatory environment, great quality of life . . . 

We have as much housing under construction as Los Angeles which has 5 times the population. . 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @2    2 weeks ago

Housing is over priced

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    2 weeks ago

There is definitely a bubble. People can ask whatever they want but without low low artificially low rates the speculator's cannot bid everything way up. The day of flipping crap rent houses is over.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.2  author  Krishna  replied to  JBB @2.1.1    2 weeks ago
There is definitely a bubble. People can ask whatever they want but without low low artificially low rates the speculator's cannot bid everything way up. The day of flipping crap rent houses is over.

I think that's the problem whenever there's a place that has a lot of positive things about it---they eventually get "discovered" by the masses.

Decades ago a friend of mine moved to Austin and ravved about it.

And at that time apparently prices were reasonable.

Recently I read that everything has gotten really expensive there because its been so popular over the years.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.2  cjcold  replied to  Krishna @2    2 weeks ago

Way back in the day an uncle worked for Ball Bros designing hand-held cameras for astronauts. How cool is that!?

He took us out into the parking lot to show us that most of his buddies had built their own serious 0<100>0 cars. It was a game with them. Ya gotta love NASA engineers when it comes to fast cars! 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  author  Krishna    2 weeks ago

You call this "Boulder, one of the most vibrant communities on the face of the earth.

You don't think that's overstating it?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1  cjcold  replied to  Krishna @3    2 weeks ago

Lived in Boulder long before and after Pearl St. was bricked over.

Worked and played at Tulagi. Could jump onstage whenever.

Played air hockey with Joe Walsh and saw SNL for the first time in Boulder (that club that had all of the shit hanging from the ceiling). 

My band backed up Buddy Guy at the Good Earth on Pearl St.

Jammed with Tommy Bolin and Freddy King at a club I can't even remember the name of.

I miss the Boulder days of the 60s and 70s!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    2 weeks ago

Very little activity downtown Denver anymore, almost all the growth and development has been South along I-25 in Arapahoe and Douglas counties. Good area to live and work and the weather is usually good. Can get to minus 20 in winter, but summers are very pleasant because the humidity is usually low. 

The big draw for me has always be the mountains, which begin just 10 miles away. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @4    2 weeks ago
The big draw for me has always be the mountains, which begin just 10 miles away

The mountains in the American West are amazing! IMO some of the most beautiful areas in the world.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @4    2 weeks ago
Can get to minus 20 in winter, but summers are very pleasant because the humidity is usually low. 

I think the Mississippi River and the Continental Divide divide the U.S. in two as far as humidity-- while there are exceptions, the areas east of the Mississippi mostly have horrendous humidity in the summer, areas west of the rive mostly have low humidity in the summer.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @4.2    2 weeks ago

I grew up near Chicago and can attest to the oppressive humidity....many sleepless nights covered in sweat swatting mosquitos.  But we did have lightning bugs, which don't survivor here in our steppe climate.

As beautiful and wild as our Colorado mountains are, I think the canyonlands of Utah are even more interesting and scenic.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.1    2 weeks ago
As beautiful and wild as our Colorado mountains are, I think the canyonlands of Utah are even more interesting and scenic.

Yes. 

And the mountains in Montana and Wyoming  are pretty amazing as well...