╌>

Katie Couric slammed as 'out of touch' for claiming Trump's MAGA driven by 'anti-intellectualism'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sparty-on  •  2 weeks ago  •  23 comments

By:   nypost (New York Post)

Katie Couric slammed as 'out of touch' for claiming Trump's MAGA driven by 'anti-intellectualism'
Katie Couric is facing backlash online for claiming the the Make America Great Again political movement is driven by "anti-intellectualism."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Social Links for Aneeta Bhole

• View Author Archive
  • Get author RSS feed

Thanks for contacting us. We've received your submission.

Back to Reading Published April 15, 2024, 10:06 p.m. ET

Katie Couric is facing backlash online for claiming the Make America Great Again political movement is driven by "anti-intellectualism."

Couric made the comments while discussing Donald Trump and MAGA — which was born during the former president's 2016 campaign — on the latest episode of Bill Maher's "Club Random" podcast.

"The socio-economic disparities are a lot and class resentment is a lot and anti-intellectualism and elitism is what is driving many of these anti-establishment [people] — which are Trump voters — so, I think that is a huge problem that we have to address," Couric explained to Maher, referring to the MAGA movement that got its name from the ex-president's campaign slogan.

6Katie Couric appeared on Bill Maher's "Club Random" podcast. Club Random

"I mean globalization and the transition from an industrial to a technological society — I don't know if you've ever been jealous of someone else or resentful — it is such a corroding and bitter, almost bile feeling."

Critics lambasted the American journalist and presenter on X, calling her comments "out of touch."

"This is what you call projection — blaming the other side for feeling a certain way when it's actually you who feels that way," one user said.

6Couric claims the Make America Great Again political movement is driven by "anti-intellectualism." Club Random

Another took a swipe at Couric: "It's full of people she's never met and wouldn't lower herself to be around."

"This is so disgusting and shows how out of touch she is. Make no mistake, this is how the media views Trump supporters," said another.

One X user said: "I've never been a jealous person- and I find many of Trump supporters highly educated in vast arenas. I think Couric is a snob and a low IQ commie. She's lived inside her glass bubble so long she's completely out of touch with reality."

6Many critics online called Couric "out of touch." REUTERS6MAGA was born during the former president's 2016 campaign. AFP via Getty Images

Maher, in contrast, defended Trump voters, saying media pundits and commentators should take the time to understand them better.

"Not to defend Trump, but to defend the people who still vote for him," Maher said.

6President Donald Trump speaks to supporters during a rally at the Van Andel Arena on March 28, 2019, in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Getty Images6Wearing his signature red baseball cap with the slogan "Make America Great Again," former President Donald J. Trump, 77, greets the crowd as he arrives on his private jet at Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. Trump is scheduled to attend a major fundraising event for his current campaign in Atlanta. Robin Rayne/ZUMA Press Wire / SplashNews.com

"Because what they see on the other side, to them, is even more dangerous. Because it's closer to home: 'My kid is coming home from school and he thinks he's a racist? He's 5, what have you been telling him? My son thinks maybe he's not a boy.' And maybe that's true, that happens. Those kind of things are what they say. 'That's why I'm voting for Trump,'" added Maher.

Trump is the presumptive GOP nominee for president while President Biden is the Democratic Party's presumptive nominee — setting up a rematch of the 2020 election.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sparty On    2 weeks ago

One of the lefts hero’s.

Still woefully out of touch with reality

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 weeks ago

There are some "intellectuals" in MAGA, mainly along the lines seen in the Claremont Institute. 

MAGA intellectuals generally want the nation returned to pre-1960 culture, in other words a country dominated by Protestant white males. 

They tend to idolize and romanticize the Founding Fathers, an era when slavery was legal and women were subservient, and Native Americans were an obstacle to be removed. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 weeks ago

Nonsense.    

Your understanding of this topic is sophomoric at best and completely biased at worst.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @2.1    2 weeks ago

LOL

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

Awesome rebuttal …

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.2    2 weeks ago

Its easy in these parts. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    2 weeks ago

The evidence here shows otherwise

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.4    2 weeks ago

Intellectualism does not imply intelligence or common sense.

We see it here on a daily basis.

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
2.1.6  Igknorantzruls  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    2 weeks ago

just curious, is this on the level ?

By Social Links for Aneeta Bhole

• View Author Archive
  • Get author RSS feed

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 weeks ago
They tend to idolize and romanticize the Founding Fathers, an era when slavery was legal and women were subservient, and Native Americans were an obstacle to be removed. 

I don't think they want to go back to Democrat methods.  You may want to actually do research instead of blathering out incorrect talking points.  Or do you really not know the history of what you support?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2    2 weeks ago

I am quite confident I know history far better than you do. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.1    2 weeks ago

That's debatable, but you certainly don't know or are denying the mood in this country right now.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.2    2 weeks ago

as Chris Sununu claimed the other day, 51% of Americans think we need "cultural change". That is nowhere near the percentage that would make it preferable to put a criminal traitor world class asshole and moron back in office 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.1    2 weeks ago

Yet you make idiotic comments like #2.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2.4    2 weeks ago

[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 weeks ago
in other words a country dominated by Protestant white males. 

As opposed to the non-Protestant white males running our major cities?

They tend to idolize and romanticize the Founding Fathers

Hum, I wonder why anyone would do that.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 weeks ago

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 weeks ago

You may disagree with their views, but millions of normal people can't be wrong. 

Time to come to grips with reality.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1    2 weeks ago
You may disagree with their views, but millions of normal people can't be wrong. 

People who still believe the 2020 election was stolen, when they have no evidence whatsoever, are not normal. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    2 weeks ago

The fools that believe that nonsense are few in number.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    2 weeks ago

Talk to us when Democrats/leftists stop screaming that the elections in 2000, 2004, and 2016 were stolen.

After that you can talk to Stacey Abrams. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.3    2 weeks ago

At every one of his 2024 rallies, 4 years after the election, Trump goes into a rant about how the 2020 election was stolen from him, and his cult crowd cheers.   there is nothing comparable to that , ever, with Democrats

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    2 weeks ago
 there is nothing comparable to that , ever, with Democrats