╌>

Hyundai Changed The Game - An "8-Speed" Electric Car!

Category:  Alternative Energy

Via:  outis  •  2 weeks ago  •  4 comments

By:   Engineering Explained (Jason Fenske)

Hyundai Changed The Game - An "8-Speed" Electric Car!

Can Hyundai's Ioniq 5 N win over combustion enthusiasts?

A performance EV with drift mode, shift mode, and variable torque split!

original

When I was young (a long, long time ago) I had a hot hatch. It was a blast!

When I was a bit older I had a sports sedan. Also a blast.

I don't know what to think here... Fake sounds don't do it for me... but a drift mode...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Hyundai's Ioniq 5 N is a fresh new approach to electric performance vehicles. The car is packed with customizable features so the driver can configure the vehicle to their exact preferences. We'll deep dive into ten of these features, summarized below:

1. N Pedal - Developed as a solution to overcome the inherent weight and size of EVs, N Pedal was designed for instant turn-in behavior and enhanced throttle sensitivity, increasing the regenerative force to create a dynamic weight transfer that helps to sharpen corner entry.

2. N Torque Distribution - adjusts the front and rear drive ratio, providing fully variable torque distribution that can be adjusted for eleven levels.

3. N Drift Optimizer (w/ Torque Kick Drift) - helps to maintain the drift angle by balancing multiple vehicle controls. The integrated Torque Kick Drift function allows the driver to simulate the clutch kick action of rear-wheel-drive ICE vehicles for driving scenarios that require more immediate drift initiation.

4. N Grin Boost (NGB) - delivers an instant thrust from IONIQ 5 N’s dual motors by increasing the power output and torque for ten seconds

5. N Launch Control - provides maximum traction for the fastest possible start, allowing the driver to launch their vehicle like a professional race car

6. N Race - utilizes a motorsport-derived philosophy that optimizes resources for the best track experience.

7. N Battery Preconditioning - optimizes the temperature of the battery cells to be as efficient as possible.

8. N e-Shift simulates the behavior of the eight-speed dual-clutch N DCT of ICE N models by controlling the motor's torque output and power and simulating the jolt feeling between shifts. It provides the push feel of a DCT transmission and various levels of simulated engine braking using regeneration. The purpose is to increase driving fun, provide a more interactive driving experience, and deliver the same emotions of an ICE on a racetrack or a windy road.

9. N Active Sound+ - produces three sounds – ‘Ignition’, an ICE N engine and exhaust sound, and two futuristic EV sounds, including ‘Supersonic’, inspired by fighter jets – through eight internal speakers and two external speakers. Drivers can even rev the “engine” when N e-Shift is activated and transmission is in park or neutral.

10. N Road Sense - automatically recommends that the driver activate N Mode when double-curved road signs are detected. This lets the driver enjoy even more driving fun. 

Honorable mention: e-LSD - The electronic Limited Slip Differential (e-LSD) controls the amount of torque sent to the rear wheels, enhances handling performance when turning at high speeds, and improves wheel-slip compensation. This is a real, mechanical differential with e-hydraulic locking action for the rear motor!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Outis
Freshman Principal
1  seeder  Outis    2 weeks ago

Despite the fake engine noise, this is a step in the right direction. Sooner or later, users will just turn the noise off, because it is ultimately meaningless. The drift mode will still be there!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  Outis @1    2 weeks ago
ultimately meaningless

Many believe that sound effects for EVs are necessary in an urban setting for the safety of pedestrians and bicyclists.

Interesting concept. I'd want a free spare set of tires to put on after the learning curve was over.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    2 weeks ago

To heck with the drift option. And like almost all cars nowadays, it's butt ugly.

I have fond memories of a Ford V-8 stick shift dual exhaust with glasspack mufflers. Nice car.

Nothing like the mellow sound of those pipes "wrapping up" and "backing down", especially that rapid staccato backing down tone!

And the back seats were flat and roomy. Oh, the memories!  jrSmiley_24_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Greg Jones @2    2 weeks ago

Remember when the manual transmission was standard equipment and automatic was an add option?    Try ordering a stick these days …..

Three on tree …. Ahhh memories ….