╌>

Trump accuses Biden of running a 'Gestapo administration' while attacking prosecutor: Live updates | The Independent

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 weeks ago  •  11 comments

By:   Oliver O'Connell, Alex Woodward, Joe Sommerlad, Kelly Rissman (The Independent)

Trump accuses Biden of running a 'Gestapo administration' while attacking prosecutor: Live updates | The Independent
Mr Trump walked into the private event to the January 6 anthem that he made with the rioters

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Mr Trump walked into the private event to the January 6 anthem that he made with the rioters

Oliver O'Connell, Alex Woodward, Joe Sommerlad, Kelly Rissman Sunday 05 May 2024 17:29

After spending yet another week in Manhattan courtroom, Donald Trump delivered a scathing speech at a private RNC donor retreat in which he compared the Biden administration to Nazis.

"These people are running a Gestapo administration," Mr Trump told a crowd of deep-pocketed donors at Mar-a-Lago, according to an audio recording obtained by the New York Times.

The former president apparently suggested that the Biden administration was responsible for the series of indictments against him.

Mr Trump added, "And it's the only thing they have. And it's the only way they're going to win, in their opinion, and it's actually killing them. But it doesn't bother me."

He then turned his attention to Jack Smith, mocking him personally.

"He's unattractive both inside and out," Mr Trump told the audience. "This is one unattractive dude."

The ritzy event likely comes as a welcome change to Mr Trump, who endured the third week of his hush money trial.

In New York last week, Mr Trump had to sit silently in court as he listened to testimony from his former communications adviser Hope Hicks.

The trial will resume on Monday.

The Independent's Alex Woodward is covering the trial at Manhattan Criminal Court.

Former Trump attorney John Eastman's law license suspended on 'interim basis'

The DC Court of Appeals issued an order on May 3 suspending John Eastman from practicing law in Washington, DC on an "interim basis."

His ability to practice law in DC is suspended, pending a final disposition in the California court proceedings.

This order comes after a California judge in March argued that Mr Eastman's law license be revoked finding that he violated ethics rules and possibly the law..

"In sum, Eastman exhibited gross negligence by making false statements about the 2020 election without conducting any meaningful investigation or verification of the information he was relying upon," she added.

"Given the serious and extensive nature of Eastman's unethical actions, the most severe available professional sanction is warranted to protect the public and preserve the public confidence in the legal system."

The ruling also comes after Mr Eastman was charged in Arizona related to a fake electors scheme in 2020. He, alongside 17 others, faces charges of conspiracy, fraud and forgery.

On top of this, he was charged alongside Mr Trump and others in the racketeering case in which they face allegations that they worked to overturn the results in the state.

Kelly Rissman5 May 2024 17:29

WATCH: Prospective Trump juror breaks silence on receiving death threats

Prospective Trump juror breaks silence on receiving death threatsKelly Rissman5 May 2024 17:00

Trump likens Biden administration to Nazis: report

At Republican National Committee donor retreat in Palm Beach, Florida on Saturday, Mr Trump went so far as to assert that President Biden was "running a Gestapo administration," according to an audio recording of the event obtained by the New York Times.

He was speaking to a crowd of wealthy donors — who needed to have contributed at least $25,000 to get into the retreat in the first place.

Mr Trump continued, "And it's the only thing they have. And it's the only way they're going to win, in their opinion, and it's actually killing them. But it doesn't bother me."

Not only did he suggest that Mr Biden orchestrated the various indictments against him — he faces 88 counts criminal charges — but he also attacked one of the top prosecutors pursuing federal charges.

"He's unattractive both inside and out," Mr Trump said of special counsel Jack Smith. "This is one unattractive dude."

The former president also claimed that he was softer on Mr Biden before he faced any lawsuits.

"You have to respect the office of the presidency," Mr Trump said. "And I never talk to him like this."

Unironically, however, Mr Trump entered the event to the tune of "Justice for All," a song featuring the former president and the J6 Prison Choir — those imprisoned due to their involvement in the Capitol attack on January 6.

Kelly Rissman5 May 2024 16:00

George Conway calls Hope Hicks' testimony 'devastating' for Trump

Kelly Rissman5 May 2024 15:00

What has Hope Hicks been up to since leaving the White House?

She initially remained friendly with the Trumps and visited them at Mar-a-Lago.

But the relationship soured after she was subpoenaed to give evidence to the House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack in October 2022.

She recalled Mr Trump saying: "Nobody will care about my legacy if I lose... the only thing that matters is winning."

The committee also discussed text messages sent by Ms Hicks pertaining to the riot that were highly critical of the president's conduct. These angered both Mr Trump and his daughter Ivanka.

Ms Hicks went on to found a strategic consultancy firm of her own. She is currently engaged to Goldman Sachs banker Jim Donovan, 57, according to the Daily Mail.

But as for the frosty relationship with the man who supercharged her ascent to one of the most prominent jobs in politics, a former administration official who remains close to Ms Hicks told the Washington Post: "She still has warm feelings toward the president and a lot of admiration for him."

Joe Sommerlad5 May 2024 14:00

ICYMI: Donald 'Von S****InPantz' has now formally been entered into the public record

A rather vulgar nickname for Donald Trump has now been formally entered into the public record at the former president's hush-money trial, after his own defence attorney read out the moniker to the court.

"Von S****InPantz" debuted in court on Thursday after Mr Trump's legal team complained to New York Justice Juan Merchan that the gag order against their client was unfair.

"Everybody can say anything they want, except for President Trump," his attorney Todd Blanche explained to the judge.

Mr Blanche then continued to show a series of posts by Michael Cohen, Mr Trump's former personal attorney, to the courtroom that mocked the former president and labelled him with insulting names.

The attorney read aloud a particular post by Cohen, while Mr Trump sat and listened to the crude mockery of himself at the defence table.

Read the full story...

Donald 'Von S****InPantz' has been entered into the public record at Trump's trial

Donald Trump's defense attorneys read aloud Michael Cohen's X rants about the former president in court as he sits listening to himself being called 'Von S****InPantz'

Kelly Rissman May 5 2024 13:00

WATCH: Donald Trump hands out pizza to firefighters in New York as UCLA riots plague city

Donald Trump hands out pizza to firefighters in New York as UCLA riots plague cityKelly Rissman5 May 2024 12:001714903200

Judge fines Trump $9k fine for gag order violations

The judge presiding over Donald Trump's hush money trial has threatened him with jailtime if he continues to violate a gag order in the case, after hitting him with a $9,000 fine for nine separate violations.

Moments before a second week of witness testimony began on Tuesday morning, New York justice Juan Merchan issued a brief order from the bench finding the former president in contempt of court and ordering $1,000 fines for nine offending Truth Social posts where he attacked witnesses in the case.

In his written order, the judge warned that Mr Trump could face an "incarceratory punishment" if he continues his "wilful violations" of the court's order, if "necessary and appropriate under the circumstances".

Read the full story...

Trump hit with $9,000 fine for violating hush money trial gag order

The former president was also ordered to delete Truth Social posts attacking witnesses - or face jail time

Kelly Rissman5 May 2024 11:00

Recap: Hicks reacts to Access Hollywood tape

Ms Hicks says she found out about the Access Hollywood tape on the afternoon of 7 October 2016 after she "received an email from The Washington Post asking for comment" while she was in her office on the 14th floor of Trump Tower.

"I was concerned. Very concerned. Um… yeah. I was concerned about the contents of the email, concerned about the lack of time to respond, concerned that we had a transcript and not a tape. There was a lot at play," she said.

She went to a conference room where Trump and others were doing debate prep and motioned for other aides to come over.

"The sight of the five or six of us gathered out there was a sign that something was afoot. Trump called us in at some point and told us to share what was happening," she added.

"I shared the email with Mr Trump sort of verbally and we were at the time … trying to get a copy of the audio of the tape, to assess the situation further, and we weren't sure how to respond yet."

Trump said, "That didn't sound like something he would say."

He saw the tape within a matter of minutes after it was live.

Ms Hicks said she was "Just… a little stunned," by the tape.

"Just… yeah, it's hard to describe. It was definitely concerning. And I had a good sense that this was going to be a massive story and sort of dominate the news cycle for the next several days, at least," she added.

"Obviously it wasn't helpful ...There were a lot of layers to it, for where we were trying to go with the campaign and this was kind of pulling us backwards. And it was going to be difficult to overcome," she said.

How was the discussion with Trump about how the campaign would respond?

"I don't really have a strong recollection of that conversation," but Trump said it was "two guys, discussing privately, locker room talk."

"I think he felt like it was pretty standard stuff for two guys, you know, chatting with each other."

They acknowledged that it was "not good," she said.

Alex Woodward , Oliver O'Connell , Mike Bedigan , Gustaf Kilander5 May 2024 10:00

Kristi Noem unlikely to be tapped as Trump's VP: report

South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem wrote about her dead dog in an upcoming book, facing enormous backlash for the remarks she made about her wirehaired pointer puppy.

But that may not have been the worst news she received this week. Politico reported that six people with knowledge of the matter said she has been "cast aside as a likely running mate" — even long before the dog scandal.

In case you missed it, in her forthcoming book, Ms Noem explained the killing of her former dog, Cricket.

"I hated that dog," she added, detailing that Cricket was "untrainable", "dangerous to anyone she came in contact with" and "less than worthless … as a hunting dog".

"At that moment," Ms Noem continued, "I realized I had to put her down."

She conceded that while "it was not a pleasant job... it had to be done".

Still, Ms Noem was invited to attend as a "Special Guest" at Mr Trump's event at Mar-a-Lago this weekend, where she and other VP hopefuls will likely be vying for the GOP presidential candidate's attention.

Kelly Rissman 5 May 2024 09:00

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 weeks ago

original

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 weeks ago

The right whines about anyone comparing Trump to Nazis or Hitler, when he does it himself to his opponents. 

I dont know if there is a true comparison between Trump and Hitler, but there is much more of one there than there is between Hitler and Biden. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 weeks ago

Sure, Trump tried to squelch a story unfavorable to him.

Just like the Biden camp did.

I guess it was worse because Trump did it with some gossip rag while Biden got 50 former officials to lie and contacted multiple media outlets to squelch his unfavorable story.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.1  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    2 weeks ago
Just like the Biden camp did.

And so did John Edwards. Because he had a D next to his name, nothing happened to him either.

I wish Trump would sue each of those 50 "Intelligence officials" for defamation. What he could get would pay a large portion of his legal fees.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 weeks ago

Trump was president already for 4 years. What policy, during those 4 years, resembled anything Hitler or Nazis?

Musk said it best when he slammed the dumbass Robert Deniro when he pointed out that some of Trump's polices were the exact opposite of what Hitler or Mussolini would do, and one specific thing he did was gain peace in the Middle East, and in particular, have Arab nations sign treaties with Israel.

Do you think Hitler would have done that?

What we are truly witnessing is Biden reflecting anti Israel policies........something Hitler would, and absolutely, did.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @2.2    2 weeks ago
Trump was president already for 4 years. What policy, during those 4 years, resembled anything Hitler or Nazis?

Excellent question. We should wait to see what the answer is.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.2  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    2 weeks ago

I suspect either crickets or screaming at the sky will be in order for the TDS afflicted.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
3  MrFrost    2 weeks ago

Trump just met with Victor Orban too... 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @3    2 weeks ago

So what is the very latest conspiracy theory about it?

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
3.2  goose is back  replied to  MrFrost @3    2 weeks ago
Trump just met with Victor Orban too..

I hear Trump met with satan and hitler's ghost. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    2 weeks ago

He's calling Jack Smith ugly inside and out? When was the last time he looked in a mirror?

I would have a beer with Jack Smith