╌>

Auroras illuminate the night sky around the world

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 months ago  •  21 comments

By:   Rebecca Cohen, Jean Lee and Anisha Banerjee

Auroras illuminate the night sky around the world
The night sky was lit up by the northern lights Friday in locations the auroras don't normally shine as a severe solar storm supercharged the display.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

May 11, 2024, 3:33 AM UTCBy Rebecca Cohen, Jean Lee and Anisha Banerjee

The night sky was lit up by the northern lights Friday in locations the auroras don't normally shine as a severe solar storm supercharged the display.

Photos taken from all over the world show bright-colored skies lit up in hot pink, green and purple across Europe, in the United States and as far as New Zealand.

Due to a number of solar flares and eruptions from the sun, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Weather Prediction Center said Thursday that the flares could trigger severe geomagnetic storms and "spectacular displays of aurora" on Friday and through the weekend.

240510-new-zealand-northern-lights-ac-1027p-372213.jpg The southern lights could be seen near Ranfurly in Central Otago, New Zealand, on Saturday, local time.Courtesy @AndrewDickson13 on X.com

Friday's storm is the first severe geomagnetic storm watch the agency has issued since 2005.

The northern lights appear in the sky when charged particles spew from the sun during solar storms, making colorful light displays when clouds of those particles collide with Earth's magnetic field and interact with the atoms and molecules in Earth's upper atmosphere.

Typically, the northern lights are only seen in high latitudes, but during intense solar storms, like on Friday, they can be seen farther south than expected, with reports of sightings in Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi.

240510-Tyrol-austria-northern-lights-ac-1025p-3a66ad.jpg In Tyrol, Austria, the aurora looked bright pink Friday.Courtesy @FlorianE53121 vix X.com
240510-london-northern-lights-ac-1022p-d2f445.jpg It could also be seen in the Penge neighborhood of London on Friday.Courtesy Glenn Lawrence
240510-Postlingberg-austria-northern-lights-ac-1013p-eac5d1.jpg The northern lights were visible in Postlingberg, Austria, on Friday.Courtesy @johannes_horak
240510-Calera-Al-aurora-borealis-northern-lights-ac-1054p-2a9ee3.jpg There was a possibility the aurora borealis could be seen as far south as Alabama on Friday, and sure enough, forecasters in Calera got a glimpse of the phenomenon. @NWSBirmingham via X.com
240510-New-Paltz-NY-northern-lights-ac-1134p-c12806.jpg Aurora borealis seen from New Paltz, N.Y., on Friday.Devin Zapka / NBC NewsRebecca Cohen

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  Sparty On    5 months ago

It rocked pretty good up here in northern Michigan last night.

Beauty.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
1.1  bccrane  replied to  Sparty On @1    5 months ago

Yes it was impressive here in Michigan, but it would've been much better earlier in the year when there is snow on the ground as when it happened in the early 80's, the night was so lit up you could see for miles with a reddish-orange hue.  It did light up the area more than the setting crescent moon last night.  Got up early in the morning, but it was cloudy and starting to rain but you could tell the northern lights were still there with the lighting of the clouds. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  bccrane @1.1    5 months ago

I remember that in the 80’s.     Was the first time saw the northern lights of any significance.   Still the best I’ve seen as well.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    5 months ago

They were visible in Virginia last night.  Seeing them has been on my bucket list for years.  Checked that item off last night, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing them again.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    5 months ago

I thought something psychedelic would be appropriate. this is the first 45 I ever bought back in '68. I still have it ...

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @2.1    5 months ago

I used to see the night sky turn colors a lot in the early 70's. of course it wasn't exactly cosmically induced...  

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.2  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    5 months ago

it's when the geometric patterns start to appear. then it gets freaky...

Thomas
Masters Guide
3  Thomas    5 months ago

Cloudy-showery here in upstate New York = Nothing to see where I am

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Thomas @3    5 months ago

It was cloudy all day, with a few showers, so I didn't bother looking outside until the dog wanted out at about 10:00.  It was clear enough to see them then.  A few hours later, it was overcast enough that I couldn't even see any stars.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4  Freefaller    5 months ago

One of the better ones I've seen up here in the north

shona1
Professor Quiet
5  shona1    5 months ago

Morning... truly amazing to think mother nature's glory is being seen around the world at the same time..

Not my photos but wish they were..

All taken in the Land Down Under..

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    5 months ago

Suppose to fire again tonite in the Midwest and east coast 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7  sandy-2021492    5 months ago

Well, of course there's a storm passing through.

shona1
Professor Quiet
8  shona1    5 months ago

Evening..I am going hunting tonight to see the Aurora Australis...

Shouldn't have to go far so fingers crossed I see it...

Last one I saw was around 1982...time to see another..

charger 383
Professor Silent
9  charger 383    5 months ago

Just got back from going up on the mountain only saw a little bit of a lght pink shine, two other people up there showed me on their phone you could see a little more pink. I took 2 cameras and binoculars but forgot my phone. .  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1  Sparty On  replied to  charger 383 @9    5 months ago

T booms here tonite, no viewing 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @9    5 months ago

I saw them to the northwest on Friday night, but the moon is too bright right now.

evilone
Professor Guide
10  evilone    5 months ago

We went out Friday night after sundown. The show above Duluth Harbor, Duluth, MN.

George
Junior Expert
10.1  George  replied to  evilone @10    5 months ago

Really pretty we were in Southern Missouri on Friday and caught this.

evilone
Professor Guide
10.1.1  evilone  replied to  George @10.1    5 months ago

Nice. It was amazing how far south people could see the lights.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11  Sparty On    5 months ago