╌>

Fetterman says wild Oversight hearing was worse than ‘Jerry Springer Show’ BY JUDY KURTZ - 05/17/24 11:31 AM ET

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  5 months ago  •  11 comments

By:   JUDY KURTZ

Fetterman says wild Oversight hearing was worse than ‘Jerry Springer Show’ BY JUDY KURTZ - 05/17/24 11:31 AM ET
“In the past, I’ve described the U.S. House as ‘The Jerry Springer Show,'”

I seldom agree with anything that Senator Fetterman has to say on any issue, but I think he has "nailed it" with his description of the U.S. House of Representatives (at least the versions in the past decade).  

The inability to perform basic functions, a total lack of across the aisle governing and the cult of personalities in both parties - has transformed the People's House" into cheap reality television and not even good reality television.

I remember enjoying CSpan coverage of House and Senate goings on, but never again

Of course Fetterman is symbolically "the man in the glass house tossing stones" as he complains about behavior and decorum in the halls of Congress.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sen.   John Fetterman   says the wild and chaotic scene inside a House Oversight and Accountability Committee hearing Thursday night, which featured lawmakers lobbing multiple appearance-related insults at one another, was worse than an episode of “The Jerry Springer Show.”

“In the past, I’ve described the U.S. House as ‘The Jerry Springer Show,'” the Pennsylvania Democrat said  in a Friday post  on the social platform X.

“Today, I’m apologizing to ‘The Jerry Springer Show,'” Fetterman said.

His comparison to the sensational, typically brawl and expletive-filled 1990s talk show came a day after an epic clash during Thursday night’s Oversight Committee hearing.

During the hearing , Rep.   Marjorie Taylor Greene   (R-Ga.) accused Rep.   Jasmine Crockett   (D-Texas) of sporting “fake eyelashes.”

Rep.   Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez   (D-N.Y.) moved to take down Greene’s words, calling them “disgusting” and “absolutely unacceptable.”

Later in the hearing, Crockett appeared to throw a veiled jab Greene’s way, saying, “If someone on this committee then starts talking about somebody’s bleach blonde bad built butch body, that would not be engaging in personalities, correct?”

Ocasio-Cortez struck back at Fetterman for drawing the TV slugfest parallel, saying  on social media   to her Democratic colleague in Congress, “I understand you likely would not have stood up for your colleague and seem to be confused about racism and misogyny being a ‘both sides’ issue.”

“But I stand up to bullies, instead of becoming one,” Ocasio-Cortez said.

It’s not the first time that a political fracas has drawn comparisons to “The Jerry Springer Show.” 

Springer himself panned a 2020 presidential debate between Joe Biden and then-President Trump. During the heated showdown, Trump repeatedly attempted to interrupt the then-Democratic presidential nominee.

Red Box Rules

The article is about Senator Fetterman, Rep AOC, the antics of Democrats and Republicans in the House and of course the Jerry Springer Show.

Restrict your comments accordingly

Present your views and argue all you want but be civil or be gone

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Robert in Ohio    5 months ago

“In the past, I’ve described the U.S. House as ‘The Jerry Springer Show,'” the Pennsylvania Democrat said    in a Friday post    on the social platform X.

“Today, I’m apologizing to ‘The Jerry Springer Show,'” Fetterman said.

Biden must hate it when the kids fight 

jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2  seeder  Robert in Ohio    5 months ago

AOC seems to call Senator Fetterman a misogynist and a racist, but in my view his comments on the circus we call the House of Representatives were neither, merely a commentary on the lack of decorum and bad behavior in the House.

As always AOC was just looking for a sound bite and it worked.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Robert in Ohio @2    5 months ago
AOC seems to call Senator Fetterman a misogynist and a racist,

Her normal response to anyone speaking the truth.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    5 months ago

I wonder if he is a baby boy ….

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.1.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    5 months ago

Sparty On

What the hell does that mean?  Please expand

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    5 months ago

Good for fetterman

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    5 months ago

I’m liking Fetterman more every day.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @4    5 months ago

He has turned out to be reasonable man. He is a plus for the democrats.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    5 months ago

Yep, didn’t start out that way but he has appeared to moderate.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @4    5 months ago

He’s much more of an independent voice than I expected.  I thought he’d be another progressive robot like the other senator from Pennsylvania, who’s just does whatever Schumer tells him to do.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5  seeder  Robert in Ohio    5 months ago

This statement is the first thing of consequence that Fetterman has done in the Senate.

Like so many others he is there collecting a paycheck and exercising pork politics for Pa and little else.