╌>

New York moves to revoke Trump's gun licence - reports

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  4 months ago  •  9 comments

By:   Aleks Phillips - BBC

New York moves to revoke Trump's gun licence - reports

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Police in New York are seeking to revoke former President Donald Trump's gun licence following his recent criminal conviction, US media reports.

Unnamed officials within the New York City Police Department told CNN, the New York Times and ABC News that it was currently completing an investigation that would likely lead to the former president being banned from owning a gun.

Both state law in New York and wider federal law prohibits individuals with felony convictions from possessing a firearm.

The NYPD has not publicly confirmed the move in the case of Mr Trump. The BBC has approached it for comment.

Mr Trump became the first president in US history to be criminally convicted last week.

A Manhattan jury found him guilty of 34 counts of falsifying business records to allegedly conceal a hush money payment made to adult film star Stormy Daniels during his 2016 presidential campaign.

The former president was accused of buying the silence of Ms Daniels over an alleged sexual encounter between the two.

Mr Trump has consistently denied sexual contact with Ms Daniels, and of having broken the law.

The 77-year-old has called the verdict a "disgrace" and indicated he intends to appeal against the conviction.

Mr Trump is due to be sentenced on 11 July - four days before he is officially declared the Republican party's nominee for the presidential election this November.

Police sources told the New York Times that the former president turned two guns over after he was charged in the criminal case in April last year and his licence was suspended.

A third firearm was reportedly transferred to Florida, though it remains unclear whether it is still in his possession.

Mr Trump has been an ardent advocate of gun owners' rights. He has frequently spoken at events put on by the National Rifle Association - the largest gun lobby group in the US - and has received its endorsement in the election.

At an NRA event in February, he described himself as the "best friend gun owners have ever had in the White House".

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    4 months ago

[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Hallux @1    4 months ago

Actually Sandy, the pic I posted is a very old joke.

George
Junior Expert
2  George    4 months ago

Good for NY, as long as he is a convicted felon he shouldn't have the right to possess or carry a firearm.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    4 months ago

Someone really needs to tell New York that they can only stop Trump from having a weapon in New York. Since they can't tell the difference between state law and federal law they probably think Trump is banned everywhere.

It will take the federal government to revoke his license to own firearms everywhere. That should be a slam dunk for the Brandon FBI/DOJ since they aren't doing anything more important- like keeping the country safe.

Just another day in the Democrat weaponization of the government.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1  Gsquared  replied to  Ronin2 @3    4 months ago

So, "de-weaponizing" Trump = weaponization of the government.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    4 months ago

I can't believe he actually owns guns. You can't convince me that he's ever actually fired any of them or....cleaned them

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    4 months ago

Quite frankly I doubt he does. I think this is just another "he's gonna" thing. They have to keep hitting him since they think they have him down. Just keeping up the persecution and thinking if they keep hitting him with this type shit it is going to change some minds.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
5  Right Down the Center    4 months ago

If that is the law then that is the law.  Not exactly a huge news story.  Unless of course they just wanted to rehash things one more time

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6  Mark in Wyoming     4 months ago

Well about all NYC/NY  can do is void any lic or permit he has for possession or carry in that state. If they are in that states jurisdiction they might be able to seize them if they are not , they can't.

What his official state of residence does is up to that state, most likely follow federal regulations.

As far as what firearms he has , he can simply gift them to family members , even if they live in the same house.