╌>

OK schools head vows sanctions for teachers who won't teach the Bible

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  3 months ago  •  34 comments

By:   NBC News

OK schools head vows sanctions for teachers who won't teach the Bible
In an interview with NBC News, Ryan Walters discussed his new Bible instruction mandate and the consequences for Oklahoma teachers who don't comply.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

June 28, 2024, 10:23 PM UTCBy Tyler Kingkade and Marissa Parra

Oklahoma educators who refuse to teach students about the Bible could lose their teaching license, Superintendent of Public Instruction Ryan Walters said in an interview with NBC News on Friday.

Walters issued a memo Thursday instructing all Oklahoma schools to teach students in grades five through 12 about the Bible's influence on the nation's founding and historical American figures. Schools will also be required to stock a Bible in every classroom.

In an interview with NBC News, Walters said if a teacher refuses to follow the Bible instruction mandate, they'd face the same consequences as one who refuses to teach about the Civil War. The punishment could include revocation of their teaching license, he said, a process that requires a vote by the Oklahoma State Board of Education, which Walters chairs.

"Any teacher that would knowingly, willfully disobey the law and disobey our standards — there are repercussions for that," Walters said. "So we deal with that on a case-by-case basis, but yes, teachers have to teach Oklahoma Academic Standards and this is absolutely going to be part of them."

Walters' new rule on incorporating Bible instruction was immediately criticized by civil liberties and religious groups. The Jewish Federation of Tulsa and the Oklahoma chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations both said in statements that Walters is inappropriately promoting Christianity in schools.

Americans United for Separation of Church and State also weighed in. "Walters is abusing the power of his public office to impose his religious beliefs on everyone else's children," the group said in an email, adding that it is "carefully assessing options."

The education department had been working on guidance on using the Bible in classrooms for nine months, Walters said. The agency focused on the Bible because it "is the book that's under assault," he said.

A spokesperson from the Oklahoma attorney general's office said in an email that existing law already allowed teachers to use Bibles in the classroom during instruction and that, "There is no legal authority for a memo from the Superintendent to require content."

Walters said he feels confident that his order will survive legal challenges because of the justices then-President Donald Trump appointed to the Supreme Court.

"He's helped provide a path for us to be able to do this as states," Walters said of Trump. He added that if Trump wins a second term in November, "it will help us move the ball forward, even more so than this."

Tyler Kingkade

Tyler Kingkade is a national reporter for NBC News, based in Los Angeles.

Marissa Parra

Marissa Parra is a national correspondent for NBC News based in Miami, Florida.

Carla Kakouris-Solarana contributed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    3 months ago

MAGA Christian Nationalists are grooming our kids at school now! 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  JBB @1    3 months ago
MAGA Christian Nationalists are grooming our kids at school now!

So no Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. teachers in OK schools?  Since this would violate their religious freedoms.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    3 months ago

They want a theocracy

I saw comments from this asshole says this is a pushback against liberals.  Liberals pay to send their children to private schools or religious schools if they choose to. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    3 months ago

SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4  devangelical  replied to  JBB @1    3 months ago

okie thumpers are teaching the boys incest, child molesting, and adultery, and the girls home ec and how to be midwives ...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2  Split Personality    3 months ago

Walters tried to provide $2.5M of public school funds to a Catholic HS.  The OK Supreme Court shot that down 6 days ago

based on separation of Church and State.

Personally, this son of a ministers is a religious whack job. He befriended the governor years ago as a tennis buddy and

aside from a few years of teaching has no credentials to be the Superintendent of any school district let alone the entire state.

He's depending on the OK Supreme Court and the 10th Circuit to shoot him down.

He fully intends these cases to go to a SCOTUS he believes that God allowed Trump to stack for this purpose.

I don't believe that such a god would need to depend on such subterfuge.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Split Personality @2    3 months ago

Walter's is a real life religious zealot. Oklahoma voters eat that shit up!

MAGA!

fineline
Freshman Silent
2.2  fineline  replied to  Split Personality @2    3 months ago

"He befriended the the governor years ago as a tennis buddy...".                                                                    Somebody should knock him into next week !  Whites can also be Uncle Toms !               

GregTx
Professor Guide
2.2.1  GregTx  replied to  fineline @2.2    3 months ago
Whites can also be Uncle Toms !

Huh? Do you think of everything in a racial context?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  fineline @2.2    3 months ago
Whites can also be Uncle Toms !     

You know nothing about Uncle Tom.

fineline
Freshman Silent
2.2.3  fineline  replied to  GregTx @2.2.1    3 months ago

Huh, can you read ? The discussion is about white Christian nationalism. One of the three points of the MAGA folks. False churches, Bigotry and Greed ! When any religious zealot can validate his/her religion I'm ready . MAGA justifies their bigotry and greed with religious quackery and Trumps blessing !  

fineline
Freshman Silent
2.2.4  fineline  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.2    3 months ago

I know all I need to know about Uncle Tom . I get the impression you know more about Uncle Tomism than you'd like to admit ! 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  fineline @2.2.4    3 months ago

Isn't a modern day Uncle Tom a black who is conservative?

fineline
Freshman Silent
2.2.6  fineline  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.5    3 months ago

In my opinion, no.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  fineline @2.2.4    3 months ago
I know all I need to know about Uncle Tom . 

Well, I did read the novel, have you?

I get the impression you know more about Uncle Tomism than you'd like to admit ! 

That’s probably just your bias running away with you.

GregTx
Professor Guide
2.2.8  GregTx  replied to  fineline @2.2.3    3 months ago

My goodness, aren't you exuberant?......

fineline
Freshman Silent
2.2.9  fineline  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.7    3 months ago

" probably your bias running away with you."[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  fineline @2.2.6    3 months ago
In my opinion, no.

Wow, good to see you go against the usual liberal slant on things.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.11  Krishna  replied to  fineline @2.2.4    3 months ago
I get the impression you know more about Uncle Tomism than you'd like to admit ! 

No one who is guilty of Uncle Tomism wants to admit it!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.3  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @2    3 months ago
I don't believe that such a god would need to depend on such subterfuge.

Well, some gods are better than others,

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    3 months ago

Baffling. I understand why they want it. The desire to do this is very old. But I am baffled as to why they think this will be ok.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Tacos! @3    3 months ago

Do Catholics want their kids indoctrinated as Southern Baptists?

Is the Pope Southern Baptist? The answer to both is definitely no!

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2  devangelical  replied to  Tacos! @3    3 months ago
  • but, but, but, ... they're spreading the gospel by law now, for a grade, and making the heathens pay for it.
  • thumper numbers are in a rapid decline, cash is getting short, and this is their best solution to attract more members
  • it's another rwnj-xtian nationalist banzai charge of lawsuit lawfare to get before a now thumper sympathetic court

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  devangelical @3.2    3 months ago
they're spreading the gospel by law now

Yeah, and I’m pretty sure that not only would this violate the US Constitution, it probably also violates the Oklahoma State Constitution.

Article 1 § 5. Public schools. Provisions shall be made for the establishment and maintenance of a system of public schools, which shall be open to all the children of the state and free from sectarian control; and said schools shall always be conducted in English: Provided, that nothing herein shall preclude the teaching of other languages in said public schools.

Also,

Article 2 § 5. Public money or property - Use for sectarian purposes.

No public money or property shall ever be appropriated, applied, donated, or used, directly or indirectly, for the use, benefit, or support of any sect, church, denomination, or system of religion, or for the use, benefit, or support of any priest, preacher, minister, or other religious teacher or dignitary, or sectarian institution as such.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.1    3 months ago

meh, thumpers won't have any problems revising those old silly documents, ... because geezus...

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4  Gsquared    3 months ago

Ryan Walters, American Taliban.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Gsquared @4    3 months ago

The bad news is that that is not hyperbolic!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  JBB @4.1    3 months ago

It wasn't meant to be.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5  sandy-2021492    3 months ago

I think they should teach accurate translations of the Song of Songs in kindergarten.  That should change the minds of the christofascists right quick.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5    3 months ago

LOL!

But then the teachers better be ready to answer uncomfortable questions

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1    3 months ago

how are they going to teach the bible? I thought they banned all books that feature sex crimes and violence...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @5.1.1    3 months ago
how are they going to teach the bible?

one word at a time

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.2    3 months ago

when will they start digging tunnels connecting all the theocratic states?

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.2  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5    3 months ago
That should change the minds of the christofascists right quick.

yeah, that'll happen...