╌>

Team Canada shocks Australia, will go for gold in women’s rugby sevens

Category:  Sports

Via:  hallux  •  3 months ago  •  14 comments

By:   Daniel Squizzato - Olympic.ca

Team Canada shocks Australia, will go for gold in women’s rugby sevens

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Canada is guaranteed its best-ever Olympic result in women’s rugby sevens after an upset win over Australia in Tuesday’s semifinal.

A day after overcoming France in the quarterfinal, Canada stunned the powerful Australia side 21-12 on Day 4. They will now compete in the gold medal match against New Zealand at 7:45 p.m. local / 1:45 p.m. ET / 10:45 a.m. PT.

“It’s hard to describe. It’s finally coming to reality. It’s all happening. I am just so proud of this group,” said   Chloe Daniels   about being assured of an Olympic medal.

The Australians applied relentless pressure at the start, scoring two tries within the opening minutes. But Canada’s most experienced player,   Charity Williams , broke through on the stroke of halftime with a bulldozing run and her trademark somersault over the goal line.

“I looked up and I saw the gates of heaven. No, I looked up, and it was just so open,” said Williams. “I just thought, ‘It’s now or never.’ So I just took it, and I’m so glad I did because I think it ignited something really amazing in our team.”

With the score 12-7, Canada took momentum into the second half.   Asia Hogan-Rochester   scored Canada’s second try two minutes into the second half. A successful conversion from captain   Olivia Apps   put the Canadians up 14-12.

READ:   Canada upset France to reach women’s rugby sevens semifinal

Then, Canada took advantage of an Australian error to regain possession.   Piper Logan   was able to break through the defence for her fourth try of these Olympic Games within the game’s final two minutes. Another conversion from Apps produced the final score.

These are the third Games at which women’s rugby sevens are being competed. Canada won bronze at Rio 2016 and finished ninth at Tokyo 2020.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 months ago

So far compared to Canadian men, Canadian women are rocking it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 months ago

We usually dont hear much about Canada at the summer Olympics. I hope they win. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    3 months ago

Take off eh!

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     3 months ago

My granddaughter is visiting from Australia and is not a happy camper.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Kavika @4    3 months ago

At 5 Gold and 4 Silver so far, Australia is punching above her weight ... your granddaughter should be ecstatic.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @4.1    3 months ago

Australian Swimming = Medals

shona1
Professor Quiet
4.2  shona1  replied to  Kavika @4    3 months ago

Morning...to be honest I don't even know what Rugby 7 is..or how it's played..

Don't follow rugby at all, I only follow Aussie Rules...and I don't even watch that..just want to know where my team is on the ladder..

I am guessing your grand daughter is from NSW...

We aren't going to bad at the Olympics at the moment..we are beating the Brits and that's always good.. actually I just checked the medal tally...we are beating you mob as well..we will enjoy it while it lasts.🦘🦘🦘

shona1
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  shona1  replied to  shona1 @4.2    3 months ago

Evening...what are you mob doing?? Never ever seen a medal tally like this one..you have got to be kidding..🤣

You don't count the total medals.. it's the number of gold that places the country on the tally board...

Surely your media doesn't present this as actual..

The real medal tally the rest of the world follows..

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  Freefaller  replied to  shona1 @4.2.1    3 months ago

I can't speak for what the US goes by but in Canada we go by the second table

shona1
Professor Quiet
4.2.3  shona1  replied to  Freefaller @4.2.2    3 months ago

Morning free...as does everyone else..

We have heard rumblings of the US media doing that so checked their news sites and it is true...

No wonder people are laughing around the world as they showed it on the news here as well...

Oh well if it makes the US media feel better go for it...

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.2.4  Freefaller  replied to  shona1 @4.2.3    3 months ago
Morning free

Afternoon Shona

Oh well if it makes the US media feel better go for it...

USA, USA, USA!!! Lol

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Sparty On  replied to  shona1 @4.2.3    3 months ago

You’ll rarely see me defending our media but I feel some general angst in here towards my country that is not deserved.

We are just like you.    Proud of our athletes and unafraid to voice it.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5  Freefaller    3 months ago

Hopefully the womens soccer team can come back from the 6 point deduction and follow in their footsteps

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1  Freefaller  replied to  Freefaller @5    3 months ago

Just heard that Canada beat Columbia to qualify for the quarter finals, pretty impressive overcoming a 6 point penalty to do so.  I guess there is a reason they won gold in 2020