╌>

Harris vs. Trump: New poll shows massive shift for independent voters - masslive.com

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 months ago  •  23 comments

By:   masslive

Harris vs. Trump: New poll shows massive shift for independent voters - masslive.com
Independent voters, who will likely decide the presidential election, are breaking massively for Vice President Kamala Harris, according to a recent poll.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

This combination of photos taken at campaign rallies in Atlanta shows Vice President Kamala Harris on July 30, 2024, left, and Republican presidential candidate former President Donald Trump on Aug. 3. (AP Photo)AP

By Dave Eisenstadter 

What a difference two weeks makes.

A Marist poll out Tuesday showed a seismic shift in support from independent voters from former President Donald Trump to Vice President Kamala Harris.

Independent voters, who often play an outsized role in presidential contests given the deeply partisan split of the country, went for Harris by a margin of 53% to 44% — a 9% lead.

In a poll released by the same pollster on July 23, just two weeks earlier, Trump led independent voters by 14% — 46% to 32%.

"Democrats have renewed enthusiasm and confidence with Harris at the top of the ticket, and the new matchup has ignited interest in the contest on both sides," said Lee M. Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion.

Overall, Harris edges out Trump by a margin of of 51% to 48%, a 4-point swing from Marist's previous July poll when Trump led Harris 46% to 45%.

The poll was released on the same day that Harris chose Minn. Gov. Tim Walz as her running mate, and a day after Harris formally secured the Democratic presidential nomination on Monday.

Earlier in the week, a University of Massachusetts Amherst poll likewise showed a shift to Harris.

The Marist poll released Tuesday asked registered voters to pick Trump or Harris in a hypothetical head-to-head matchup. Harris's lead remains her 3% lead when third party candidates are included — 48% to 45%. Robert F. Kennedy Jr. received 5% support in that scenario.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 months ago

original

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    2 months ago
Independent voters, who will likely decide the presidential election, are breaking massively for Vice President Kamala Harris, according to a recent poll.

Which makes great sense.   If someone is indeed independent then why would they vote for negative, vindictive, narcissistic Trump-Vance when a decent, presidential Harris-Walz team exists.   Why vote for someone who would be the oldest person ever elected to the presidency and who is clearly losing his mind (at the very least, highly irrational) when a healthy, intelligent 59 year old nominee is available?

Why vote for a traitor and his sycophant when one can vote for a team that will actually work for the American people rather than abuse the office for personal whims?

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @2    2 months ago

There are still about 10% of voters who say they are undecided. Like in 2020 they will undoubtedly break for Harris and Walz on Election Day! 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  JBB @2.1    2 months ago

Especially if Harris-Walz continue with a positive, happy vision while Trump continues to trash our country.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.1    2 months ago

According to MAGA New York City and San Francisco and Paris are "Shitholes".

Whereas Waco or Sheboygan are lovely.

I have been to Paris and New York City...

I have also been to Waco and Sheboygan.

So far,  Harris isn't calling them shitholes.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @2.1.2    2 months ago
According to MAGA New York City and San Francisco and Paris are "Shitholes".

I never heard that about NYC or Paris.  SF yea, but they have an app to avoid walking in the shit.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     2 months ago

This is very good news.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Kavika @3    2 months ago

We live in weird times where any good news is bad news for MAGAs. This is the MAGA Prayer.

original original

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    2 months ago

Yawn, I’d remind you of how much Clinton was ahead of Trump in “the polls” at this point but I know that is a tough memory for many of you.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @4    2 months ago

Yet only four years later Biden and Harris whooped Trump by eight million vote. Don't fool yourself that voters are going back to Trump!

We're Not Going Back!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @4.1    2 months ago

[]

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.1    2 months ago

original Here you go...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @4.1.2    2 months ago

Here you go:

https://www.reuters.com/graphics/USA-BIDEN/POLL/nmopagnqapa/#

America disagrees with you

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.3    2 months ago

If so then why is Harris now surging ahead?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @4.1.4    2 months ago

Because people being polled are useful idiots?

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.6  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.5    2 months ago

No, because "We're Not Going Back!"

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @4.1.6    2 months ago

Alrighty then …..

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5  Snuffy    2 months ago

Enjoy the honeymoon phase of her campaign. I think eventually she's going to have to face reporters and her biggest weakness is unscripted commentary. And IMO national polling is mostly meaningless as this election even more than previous ones will be decided in a handful of battleground states. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @5    2 months ago

If Harris falters as you predict and Trump wins, will that be the result you desire?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @5.1    2 months ago

No because I'm not planning on voting for either party. I just think it's funny that all the excitement over her that is occurring right now. It was only a few months back that there was all sorts of speculation around how Biden could drop Harris from his ticket due to her unpopularity. And then Biden was shown to be failing mentally in the debate and it took a couple of weeks to get him to change his mind and drop out. And after that, Harris is all sorts of popular within the Democrat party. 

As I said, I don't plan to vote for either one. But I can take solace in the simple fact that we have had terrible people who won the presidency and the country still survived. I expect that the country will still survive the election of either one. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Snuffy @5.1.1    2 months ago

When is Harris going to have a presser? We need to see true colors when she has to think on her feet.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1.2    2 months ago

Wish I knew. Her biggest weakness is the unscripted moments, she's shown that time after time. 

I'm happy to see that Trump has changed and is now agreeing to the Sept 10th debate. I would like to see a couple of debates between them as they really only have a month before early voting starts in some states. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @5.1.1    2 months ago
No because I'm not planning on voting for either party.

Right, you are abstaining ... and in the meantime are engaging in hyperbolic negative rhetoric against Harris-Walz while giving a pass to Trump-Vance.     And even your most recent comment implicitly equates Trump with Harris as if there were not stark differences in demeanor, integrity, responsibility, credibility, honesty, patriotism, lawfulness, etc.   

It is credible to state that you do not think either deserves your vote.   You might have an extraordinarily high standard to apply that to Harris-Walz or maybe you dismiss them because of policy.   But your comments read as though Trump is a normal politician rather than the reality that he is a vindictive scoundrel, a pathologically lying malignant narcissist who is the only PotUS in US history to engage in fraud, coercion, lying, and incitement in an attempt to steal a presidential election.