╌>

Fact Check: Posts Say Project 2025 Wants To Kill US Department of Education. Here's What We Found

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  cb  •  one month ago  •  7 comments

Fact Check: Posts Say Project 2025 Wants To Kill US Department of Education. Here's What We Found
Trump: I want to close the Department of Education

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

AA1oOby0.img?w=768&h=512&m=6

Claim:

Project 2025, a proposed conservative blueprint for the next U.S. Republican presidential administration, has called to shut down the U.S. Department of Education.

Rating:

True ( About this rating? )

Context:

This education proposal has become a campaign promise of Republican candidate and former U.S. President Donald Trump.

A rumor that Project 2025, a conservative coalition's plan for a future U.S. Republican presidential administration, had called for the closure of the U.S. Department of Education spread  online  in the summer of 2024 ( archived ):

The claim in this X post, which had more than 1.3 million views and 27,000 likes as of this writing, was echoed in  several   other   posts  on the social media platform.

This claim is true. Furthermore, shutting down the Department of Education has become a campaign promise of the 2024 Republican presidential candidate, former U.S. President Donald Trump.

Looking at the official  Project 2025 webpage  that seeks to quickly confirm or debunk information circulating about the program, we found the following paragraph:

Shut Down the Department of Education: TRUE
Project 2025's Mandate for Leadership calls for the end of the Department of Education. Since the Department was created, educational outcomes have not improved, and the American school system has increasingly fallen behind other countries. Giving more control back to state and local governments, and expanding school choice, would improve education outcomes for all Americans, especially underprivileged communities. Some functions of the Department of Education would be moved to other departments including Labor, Justice, and Commerce.

This education plan has become one of Trump's campaign promises, something he mentioned several times in the summer of 2024. In early June, in an  extensive interview  on the Fox News program "Fox and Friends," he said: "We're going to cut the Department of Education, let it be run locally." On Aug. 12, in a conversation with Tesla founder and X owner Elon Musk, he said, "I want to close the Department of Education." The presidential campaign of Democratic Vice President Kamala Harris shared a clip of the conversation in which he says this quote:

This is not the first time Republicans have advocated for the closure of the Department of Education in their campaigns. In fact, they've talked about closing the agency since then-President Jimmy Carter opened it in May 1980, according to  The Chronicle of Higher Education .

In July 2024, Snopes published an in-depth report on  Project 2025 , confirming that it planned on shutting down the Department of Education.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fact-check-posts-say-project-2025-wants-to-kill-us-department-of-education-heres-what-we-found/ar-AA1oOl4L

Red Box Rules

Do Stay On Topic!

Do Add Something Substantive or Be Gone.

No personal or ad hominem attacks, spamming, or advertisements.

No Trolling.

No Mocking Others. (Your comment may be removed without additional warning.]

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

CB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  CB    one month ago

Guess who 'wins' when ordinary children are forced to work for a living (when they should be in a proper classroom.

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
1.1  Igknorantzruls  replied to  CB @1    one month ago

Trump done did say he loves him, some a them uneducated, and for once, he weren't lying

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  CB  replied to  Igknorantzruls @1.1    one month ago

It's a damn shame: To be forced backwards into Donald's  conservative "America."  The progressing world will pass our stupid asses and set up aside so quick (because it will not join us). We will be forgotten as a world leader soon enough. And laughed at as a stupid nation of 'has-beens' who destroyed themselves on the world stage, because they 'hungered' for the past they could not have and apparently could no longer STAND TO MOVE UP INTO WHATEVER THE FUTURE HOLDS FOR US!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2  Mark in Wyoming     one month ago

I just found out that my daughter and son in law have decided to homeschool their 3 kids that are of school age .  not sure how or what to think of that . When i asked about it , the drift of the reasons were indoctrination ( thats one of the things i want to ask them , what KIND of indoctrinations do they think is happening ) , and failure to teach basic things , when asked what things , daughter said history and government is a big one , and the different types of government .

I do intend to ask a few more questions when i go up for hunting and visiting , hunting is postponed a couple weeks due to hot weather , too hot , if i got anything in this heat it would spoil before i could do what needs done so better to wait til its cooler . waste not want not .

even if the federal DOE got eliminated, it wouldn't matter, because the states had their own and still have their own versions of the same at the state level that approves curriculum and standards needed for advancement and graduation be it public private or home schooled .

CB
Professor Principal
3  seeder  CB    one month ago

There is a reason why the Department of Education was 'founded' in the first place. It may bear learning why a government agency forms itself to begin with before deciding its value or lack thereof. (HINT: It can't just be that we want to lead the world but we will have 50 state programs that do not intersect properly or with cohesion.)  Think: UNIFORMITY. And Accreditation

Think that having kids learning different versions of histories true and 'speculative' will cause generations of kids to become 'mystified' and afraid of one another (living with a nation of strangers like we were once before) and not knowing truth can not be 'good,' or a fair thing to do to anybody's kid/s!

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
3.1  Igknorantzruls  replied to  CB @3    one month ago
Think that having kids learning different versions of histories true and 'speculative' will cause generations of kids to become 'mystified' and afraid of one another (living with a nation of strangers like we were once before) and not knowing truth can not be 'good,' or a fair thing to do to anybody's kid/s!

But is it really fair, fair to the adults that as children, were taught they were 'better' than other children...?

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  CB  replied to  Igknorantzruls @3.1    one month ago

There is so much I could state about that attitude of 'being better' just because of being the majority and white 'back in the day.'  There were occasions in our country's history where blacks who forgot their place, or who were perceived as 'uppity'— were lynched, burned alive, had their male genitalia cut off, 'quartered,' and even had black feet put on display in white shops after these 'Proceedings.' White Church-goers would leave their churches and go straight to a lynching and burning.

When some conservatives 'pray' to go backwards . . . it brings back the bad that comes along with any good found there.

So no we will not help any conservative go backwards!