╌>

Former Vice President Dick Cheney to vote for Kamala Harris

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 weeks ago  •  26 comments

By:   NBC News

Former Vice President Dick Cheney to vote for Kamala Harris
Former Vice President Dick Cheney announced that he will cast his ballot for Vice President Kamala Harris, confirming news first made by his daughter, former Rep. Liz Cheney, earlier in the day.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sept. 6, 2024, 6:57 PM UTC / Updated Sept. 7, 2024, 12:37 AM UTCBy Megan Lebowitz

Former Vice President Dick Cheney announced Friday that hewill cast his ballot for Vice President Kamala Harris this fall, confirming news that was first made public by his daughter, former Rep. Liz Cheney, earlier in the day.

Both Cheneys are Republicans, and the elder served under President George W. Bush. The younger Cheney, who endorsed Harris earlier this week, is one of former President Donald Trump's most prominent conservative critics.

"In our nation's 248-year history, there has never been an individual who is a greater threat to our republic than Donald Trump," Dick Cheney said in a statement. "He tried to steal the last election using lies and violence to keep himself in power after the voters had rejected him. He can never be trusted with power again."

"As citizens, we each have a duty to put country above partisanship to defend our Constitution. That is why I will be casting my vote for Vice President Kamala Harris," he added.

Harris campaign chair Jen O'Malley Dillon said that the vice president was "proud" to have Cheney's support.

"He joins hundreds of Republicans who are backing the Vice President and her patriotic vision of America over former President Trump, because, as Vice President Cheney said, the very future of our republic is at stake in this election," O'Malley Dillon said in a statement.

In a Truth Social post Friday night, Trump bashed both Cheneys, using the acronym for Republican in Name Only. "Dick Cheney is an irrelevant RINO, along with his daughter, who lost by the largest margin in the History of Congressional Races!" he wrote.

Liz Cheney was ousted in 2021 from her position in House Republican leadership after criticizing Trump. In 2022, shelosther congressional primary race to a Trump-backed challenger.

During the midterm campaign cycle, Dick Cheney taped an advertisement for his daughter's campaign, in which he called Trump a "coward."

Liz Cheney revealed who her father would vote for during an interview Friday at the Texas Tribune Festival.

"Dick Cheney will be voting for Kamala Harris," she said.

"If you think about the moment that we're in, and you think about how serious this moment is, my dad believes and he's said publicly that there's never been an individual in our country who is as grave a threat to our democracy as Donald Trump is," Cheney added. "And that's the moment that we're facing."

Asked for comment Friday about her remarks, Trump campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung replied, "Who the f--- is Liz Cheney?"

Liz Cheney had said when announcing her support for Harris on Wednesday that people do not have "the luxury of writing in candidates' names, particularly in swing states."

"Because of the danger that Donald Trump poses, not only am I not voting for Donald Trump, but I will be voting for Kamala Harris," she said.

Cheney said on Friday that she has not spoken with Harris this week.

The former Wyoming congresswoman also said during her Friday interview with The Atlantic's Mark Leibovich that she would support Rep. Colin Allred, D-Texas, in his Senate bid. Allred is challenging Republican Sen. Ted Cruz, who has served in the Senate since 2013.

"Here in Texas, you guys do have a tremendous, serious candidate running for the United States Senate, and his name is —" she paused as the audience cheered and Leibovich asked them to let her speak.

"It's not Ted Cruz," she said.

Cheney went on to praise Allred's credentials, noting the time she served in the House with him.

"We need people who are going to serve in good faith," Cheney said. "We need people who are honorable public servants, and in this race, that is Colin Allred. So I'll be working on his behalf."

In a statement, Allred called Cheney a "patriot" and said he was "honored to have her support."

"Though we may not agree on everything, we've been able to find common ground by putting our country over political parties," Allred said. "Importantly, we both believe in protecting our democracy, our constitution and the foundational promise of our great country. And we both agree that Texans cannot afford six more years of Ted Cruz."

The Allred campaign also noted that he and Cheney cosponsored more than 50 bills together, a nod to their efforts to work across the aisle.

When reached for comment, a Cruz campaign spokesperson called Cheney "the poster child of flip-flopping."

"We're definitely super surprised to hear that Liz Cheney, the poster child of flip-flopping, is endorsing Colin Allred," the spokesperson said. "Two years ago, the voters of Wyoming overwhelmingly rejected her, just like the voters of Texas will overwhelmingly reject Colin Allred this November. But hey, misery loves company."

The Cheneys are the latest in a steady stream of Republicans who, despite policy differences, say they plan to cast ballots for Harris.

Last week, more than 200 Republicans who have worked for both Bush presidents, Sen. Mitt Romney and the late Sen. John McCain announced that they are backing Harris.

"Of course, we have plenty of honest, ideological disagreements with Vice President Harris and Gov. Walz. That's to be expected," said the former staffers said in a statement. "The alternative, however, is simply untenable."

Several prominent GOP critics of Trump, including former Illinois Rep. Adam Kinzinger, appeared onstage at the Democratic National Convention last month to back Harris. In his speech, Kinzinger urged voters to "put country first" and argued that Trump has "suffocated the soul" of the GOP.

Megan Lebowitz

Megan Lebowitz is a politics reporter for NBC News.

Jake Traylor, Mike Memoli, Monica Alba, Elyse Perlmutter-Gumbiner, Zoe Richards and Nnamdi Egwuonwu contributed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 weeks ago

original

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    4 weeks ago

I think we are going to see this more and more.  There is too much at stake.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @2    4 weeks ago

Trump gives establishment Republicans, "The Ick"...

GregTx
Professor Guide
3  GregTx    4 weeks ago

Democrats should be proud.....

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1  Gsquared  replied to  GregTx @3    4 weeks ago

The Democratic Party is creating a very broad-based Freedom Coalition as opposed to the maga cult of personality centered on an autocratic convicted felon. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2  Tessylo  replied to  GregTx @3    4 weeks ago

Indeed

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.3  Krishna  replied to  GregTx @3    4 weeks ago
Democrats should be proud.....

Cheney is actually a Republican (& in fact one of the more Conservative ones).

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.3.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.3    4 weeks ago

(deleted)

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.3.2  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.3.1    4 weeks ago
Cheney is actually a Republican (& in fact one of the more Conservative ones).

From Wikipedia:

During Cheney's tenure as vice president, he played a leading behind-the-scenes role in the  George W. Bush administration 's response to the  September 11 attacks  and coordination of the  Global War on Terrorism .

He was an early proponent of  invading Iraq , alleging that the  Saddam Hussein  regime possessed  weapons of mass destruction  program and had an  operational relationship  with  Al-Qaeda ;

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4  Gsquared    4 weeks ago

Truly historic.

I also like the fact that Liz endorsed Colin Allred.  Hopefully rational thinking Texans will finally get rid of that hideous Ted Cruz.

Asked for comment Friday about her remarks, Trump campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung replied, "Who the f--- is Liz Cheney?"

Another example of the pathetic weakness of the Trump campaign.  But they sure like the endorsements of the nobody Tulsi Gabbard and the dysfunctional Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gsquared @4    4 weeks ago
I also like the fact that Liz endorsed Colin Allred. 

So does every Republican Trump supporter. Much like the Lincoln Project embrace of everything progressive, it  reveals her claim that she's  a "real republican" and only anti-Trump because of how uniquely evil he supposedly  is to be a total lie. She's just another Kinzinger like grifter. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1    4 weeks ago

Will you please stop saying or inferring you are not for Trump?  Do the right thing and stop insulting everyone's intelligence. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.1    4 weeks ago

Lol. I refuse to demean myself by voting for either of these clowns. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.2    4 weeks ago

The only time you say something vaguely anti-Trump is when someone calls you out like I just did. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.3    4 weeks ago

This site overfloweth with anti-Trump screeds, so does our media in general.  Trump, at least, is much on policy than Harris. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.4    4 weeks ago
This site overfloweth with anti-Trump screeds

Of course it does, he is a buffoonish traitor.  It is amazing to see how much some people claim Trump is being treated unfairly. He belongs in prison for what he has done. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Gsquared  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1    4 weeks ago

Naturally, maga cultists adore the low-life scumbag Cruz almost as much as they worship and adore their Dear Leader Trump.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.7  Krishna  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.4    4 weeks ago
This site overfloweth with anti-Trump screeds, so does our media in general.  Trump, at least, is much on policy than Harris. 

OK-- enough already!

You've convinced us that you're a Trump supporter!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    4 weeks ago

The gifts keep coming for Trump. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1  Gsquared  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    4 weeks ago

The grifts keep coming from Trump.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gsquared @5.1    4 weeks ago
“I’ve thought Dick Cheney is a bad guy who makes terrible decisions his entire life, but now that I see he’s making the same decision as me, I guess he’s changed”
Poor Nixon. He died too soon.  All it takes to no longer be a war criminal is one act of submission....If Trump lives another 10 years, he can get back into progressives' good graces merely by endorsing whoever the Democrat nominee in 2036 is.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.1    4 weeks ago

No one thinks Dick Cheney has changed.  Another republican with a spine.  I've never been a fan of Shotgun Dick but this is awesome.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Krishna  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.1    4 weeks ago
All it takes to no longer be a war criminal is one act of submission....If Trump lives another 10 years, he can get back into progressives' good graces merely by endorsing whoever the Democrat nominee in 2036 is.

Trump may have his faults, but he doesn't qualify as a "war criminal"!

(But I bet you already knew that, lol!)

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    4 weeks ago

Yep, many people are abandoning the democrat party since they have turned radically progressive, while Trump is gaining endorsements. Cheney is a unrepentant war criminal who should be in prison.

Another Democrat Ditches Her Party and Endorses Trump: 'I've Had Enough' (townhall.com)

I'm Outta Here! 'Disgusted' Alan Dershowitz Announces He's Ditching the Democratic Party – RedState

Trump Just Received Another Massive Endorsement (townhall.com)

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6  Mark in Wyoming     4 weeks ago

"In our nation's 248-year history, there has never been an individual who is a greater threat to our republic than Donald Trump," Dick Cheney said in a statement. 

Sorry but that made me just shake my head . Not that long ago the left was saying that about him.

by the time this man left office in 2009, the left was referring to him as "Darth Cheney "because of how evil they felt he was .

But that was then and this is now, and like his namesake from the starwars saga , he is having his redemption arc like vader in return of the jedi .

Unfortunately , he has been out of politics and silent for so long , his opinion doesnt matter to those voters some wish it will influence , much like his daughters opinion , the self made "Dark helmet" of space balls , a sort of not original clone of her father . 

Dig
Professor Participates
7  Dig    4 weeks ago

Great to hear. Not forgetting his role in the bullshit invasion of Iraq, but I absolutely respect that he cares more about the republic than partisan tribalism. Liz, too.

If the uber-conservative Cheneys can recognize Trump for the tyrant and threat that he is, and have decided not to waste their votes on some kind of third party protest, then hopefully other patriotic conservatives (which the MAGA fools aren't) will too.