╌>

Denver suburbs look to sue city over influx of 42K migrants — and Tren de Aragua gang

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 weeks ago  •  35 comments

By:   nypost (New York Post)

Denver suburbs look to sue city over influx of 42K migrants — and Tren de Aragua gang
Fed-up Denver suburbs are looking to sue their big sanctuary city neighbor and the state government after suffering strained budgets and crime after 42,000 migrants flocked to Colorado — bringing the violent gang Tren de Aragua with them.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Jared DowningPublished Sep. 15, 2024, 1:02 p.m. ET

Fed-up Denver suburbs are looking to sue their big sanctuary city neighbor and the state government after suffering strained budgets and crime after 42,000 migrants flocked to Colorado — bringing the violent gang Tren de Aragua with them.

Most recently, the council for the city of Castle Rock - just south of Denver - unanimously voted to research legal options against its largest neighbor, CBS News Colorado reported.
The vote came amid a wave of other suburbs that have voted to sue, or to look into suing over the migrant crisis in Colorado.

The goal: reverse policies and laws that made Denver a haven for the tens of thousands of illegal migrant — most of them from Venezuela.

Law enforcement officials in the suburb of Aurora and others areas outside of Denver are also warning that Tren de Aragua, the brutal Venezuelan prison gang, followed the migrants into Colorado.

The gang members have since spread out across the state — taking over apartment complexes, dealing drugs and robbing jewelry stores.

"This isn't just a decision that Denver gets to make because," Castle Rock Town Councilmember Max Brooks told CBS Colorado. "The idea is to join with other municipalities and say it's time to stop."
Another Denver suburb, Parker, is also exploring legal action, CBS reported, as well as the city of Aurora — which has gained national attention for its problems with the gang.
Meanwhile, Douglas County, where Castle Rock is located, has joined a group of six Colorado counties suing the state and Democratic Gov. Jared Polis over laws they claim limit their ability to cooperate with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

Last month, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office reported the arrest of 11 alleged car thieves, including three Venezuelan nationals and one Columbian national.

"It is happening; we are having issues here in Douglas County. You know, we are having migrants come in here; there have been instances of crime," Brooks told CBS.
The lawsuit against the state challenges two laws: one that stops law enforcement from detaining a person based on their immigration status, and another that prevents counties from allowing ICE to use their jails.

Red Box Rules

No Maga or fascist nonsense.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 weeks ago

Why on earth would anyone think not cooperating with federal authorities is going to work out well?

Have those pushing sanctuary status not noticed what is happening in those sanctuaries?

Expect more of the same under a Harris Presidency.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 weeks ago

what a fact free crock of shit.

I live closer to aurora than any castle rock nazis and douglas county is a shithole of trump xenophobes in lauren boeberts wannabe new district. I know some denver and aurora cops that say this bullshit story is just another version of eating cats and dogs. hopefully, they can generate the same kind of response by trumpsters in colorado and republicans can experience the fallout, western state style ...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 weeks ago

If you have any FACTS to dispute what I wrote or what is in the article, feel free to back your claims up.

Without that, your 'opinion' has been noted.

Amazing in this day and age, with technology at our fingertips, some can ignore all the news reports and claim they are ALL lies without providing a scintilla of evidence to support such a claim.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 weeks ago

Does not make an effective rebuttal.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    3 weeks ago

my daughter works within this alleged warzone. do you think I might be concerned about her safety if this was true? do you think I would let her go to work in trump's xenophobic warzone if this story was even close to being reality? would you let anyone in your family go? be fucking serious.

funny how whenever trump or vance are asked about either of the ohio or denver stories, their answers deflect to the open borders. did trump pocket the money from mexico to pay for the wall too? I wonder how the trump voters in that ohio city like all the bomb threats that are taking place in their communities? convenient I bet.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.3    3 weeks ago
my daughter works within this alleged warzone.

War zone? What? Your words, not mine.

do you think I might be concerned about her safety if this was true? 

You very well might.

do you think I would let her go to work in trump's xenophobic warzone if this story was even close to being reality? 

I don't know you, your daughter, or your relationship.

Still don't know about some alleged war zone you keep talking about.

funny how whenever trump or vance are asked about either of the ohio or denver stories, their answers deflect to the open borders. 

I don't find it funny at all.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Texan1211    3 weeks ago
Last month, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office reported the arrest of 11 alleged car thieves, including three Venezuelan nationals and one Columbian national.

Better alert the local DA there and tell him they were just here for a job.

And that immigrants don't commit crimes because they fear deportation.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    3 weeks ago

Crimes??  But I thought they were all "asylum seekers".  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    3 weeks ago

The Biden Admin. let in many unvetted folks, including some on the terrorist watchlist.

I wonder if "The Prosecutor" will be any tougher on immigration or just spend more money we can't afford on 'root causes'. My educated guess, based on her past performance, is she won't be any harder than Biden.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    3 weeks ago

There's no wondering about it.  That's her voting base.  I'm willing to bet she will do more to open it up to the terrorists.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.1    3 weeks ago
There's no wondering about it.  That's her voting base.  I'm willing to bet she will do more to open it up to the terrorists.

I suspect her immigration policies will turn out to be to the left of Biden. I see no indications to lead me to think otherwise, and her "get tough" rhetoric is unpersuasive at best.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    3 weeks ago

Our latest leftist mayor calls them "newcomers" and was openly welcoming them until the money started to run out. Now he's trying to shove them off onto neighboring suburbs. I live here and can testify that the situation continues to get worse.[]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2    3 weeks ago
Our latest leftist mayor calls them "newcomers" and was openly welcoming them until the money started to run out. Now he's trying to shove them off onto neighboring suburbs. 

Isn't that what all the idiots are doing?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2    3 weeks ago

Always cracks me up when ignorant progressive policies come back to bite them in the ass, but it is going to be tough for them to blame this on anyone other than Democrats.

Doesn't mean they don't have a litany of excuses to deflect blame, though. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    3 weeks ago

That's crazy. These real world examples of Illegal immigrants costing more money than they generate in revenue must be hoaxes, as they completely contradict the claims of left wing immigration activists whose expert opinions are not to be questioned. All these democratic officials detailing how much illegal immigration costs cities must be secret MAGA. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    3 weeks ago
These real world examples of Illegal immigrants costing more money than they generate in revenue must be hoaxes, as they completely contradict the claims of left wing immigration activists whose expert opinions are not to be questioned.

They'll still claim something idiotic as justification not to do anything.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    3 weeks ago
All these democratic officials detailing how much illegal immigration costs cities must be secret MAGA. 

Yeah, now the 'response' is to yell "BULLSHIT" and say they are all liars, every single one who ever criticizes the Biden/Harris Admin. border/immigration policies.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2    3 weeks ago
yell "BULLSHIT" and say they are all liars, every single one who ever criticizes the Biden/Harris Admin.

Don't forget their "but Trump" shrieking.  Like dealing with toddlers who were told "No" for the first time.

We can't forget running to MODS when things don't go their way.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    3 weeks ago

Because the Post sucks, I had to look it up. The migrants have come in over the course of a year, and apparently, a great number of them came in on buses from Texas . So if these suburbs should be suing anyone, it’s probably the governor of Texas, who had people he knew were here illegally, and instead of calling ICE, shipped them to Denver. So it wasn’t knowledge of Colorado law that drew migrants to Denver. It was Governor Abbot.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @5    3 weeks ago

That's pretty funny, chastising Texas for not doing the Fed's job while giving sanctuaries a pass for not doing the same.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    3 weeks ago

Remember, Texas was sued by the Biden Administration FOR doing the Fed's job.  Next best thing was to send the illegals to Sanctuary Shitholes that declared they would house them and take care of them.  

Ironically these same cities crying about illegals coming are the same cities that have cherry picked what federal laws are to be enforced for the sake of virtue signaling their "solidarity" with the criminals they welcome.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.1    3 weeks ago

I would like to see the end of sanctuaries, and feel if we just withheld all federal funding to them until they repeal any such laws, they will comply rather quickly.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    3 weeks ago
chastising Texas for not doing the Fed's job while giving sanctuaries a pass for not doing the same

Golly, that would sound really clever if I had said any of that. But I didn’t say any of that, so your reply is the opposite of clever. How unsurprising.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.3    3 weeks ago
So if these suburbs should be suing anyone, it’s probably the governor of Texas, who had people he knew were here illegally, and instead of calling ICE, shipped them to Denver. So it wasn’t knowledge of Colorado law that drew migrants to Denver. It was Governor Abbot.

Can't pretend you didn't write this.

I'm sure you meant to say something else.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.4    3 weeks ago
Can't pretend you didn't write this.

I’m not pretending any such thing. But you clearly didn’t understand what I wrote.

Nothing in those words is me saying the Texas governor was to be chastised for not doing the Fed’s job. Nothing in what I said has anything to do with sanctuary cities not doing the Fed’s job either. Nothing I said was related to anyone’s legal, governmental responsibility.

The people who want to sue Denver are blaming that city for causing an influx of unwanted criminal aliens. And while they may have an argument for that, the Texas governor was also factually a cause of that influx, and therefore should also be held partially to blame. Legal duties are irrelevant. They were either a factual cause or they weren’t.

I didn’t say one word about the Fed’s job or anyone doing it or not.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Tacos! @5    3 weeks ago

ICE can't and won't do anything on orders from the Biden administration. 

Texas didn't ask for or want them, so shipping them to welcoming sanctuary cities was the logical thing to do.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @5.2    3 weeks ago
Texas didn't ask for or want them, so shipping them to welcoming sanctuary cities was the logical thing to do.

Brilliant political move by Abbott and others who sent immigrants to sanctuaries. Got Biden to FINALLY crack down a little.

Give Democrats a taste of reality and look at how they react!

People who defend the idea of sanctuaries should not criticize Texas for dealing with the problem effectively.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Greg Jones @5.2    3 weeks ago
Texas didn't ask for or want them

Did Colorado ask for them? Like did they call up Texas and say, “please send those people here?” Or did Abbot just do it without talking to anyone?

shipping them to welcoming sanctuary cities was the logical thing to do

Or, they could be shipped back to where they came from. There are probably a few things that could have at least been tried - like calling ICE to see if what you say is true.

The point is that if people really want to blame those responsible, Abbot is part of that group. Suing him would be difficult under the 11th Amendment, but I can’t help but wonder if party politics is the real reason they aren’t at least complaining to/about Abbot.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @5.2.2    3 weeks ago
There are probably a few things that could have at least been tried - like calling ICE to see if what you say is true.

What is stopping the sanctuaries from calling ICE?

George
Junior Expert
5.2.4  George  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.3    3 weeks ago

They are run be unamerican pieces of shit?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.2.5  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.3    3 weeks ago

I asked questions first. Guess no one is interested in answering them. Just playing games.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tacos! @5    3 weeks ago
a great number of them came in on buses from Texas .

That's what happens when you declare your city or state a Sanctuary Shithole.  Places like Texas help you out and give you the illegals you said you would welcome.  The problem is the "leaders" of these cities and states didn't expect to have to put in the work or pay for everything they "stood for".  And its coming back to bite them in the ass in the form of crime and insufficient funds for projects.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.3    3 weeks ago

Democrats seem slow to learn that their policies have real-world consequences that can't be waved away by blaming conservatives,

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.3.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.1    3 weeks ago

Isn't that always the case.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Texan1211    3 weeks ago

One question for those supporting sanctuaries:

If immigrants don't cost teh US taxpayers anything, why are cities facing budget crises?