╌>

'Every voter should be made aware': Governor sounds alarm on new Trump threat - Raw Story

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  cb  •  3 weeks ago  •  31 comments

By:   Sarah K. Burris (Raw Story - Celebrating Years of Independent Journalism)

'Every voter should be made aware': Governor sounds alarm on new Trump threat - Raw Story
Newsome sounded the alarm in an X post: "Every voter should be made aware of this. . .Trump just admitted he will block emergency disaster funds to settle political vendettas. Today it's California's wildfires. Tomorrow it could be hurricane funding for North Carolina or flooding assistance for homeowners in Pennsylvania. Donald Trump doesn't care about America — he only cares about himself."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

president-donald-trump-speaks-to-the-media-in-the-rose-garden-at-the-white-house-shutterstock-com.jpg?id=29784019&width=1200&height=675
President Donald Trump, speaks to the media in the Rose Garden at the White House. (Shutterstock.com)

A key part of Donald Trump's speech from California on Friday was trashing Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom for the state's fires. One comment he made is turning heads, however.

"And Gavin Newscum is gonna sign those papers, and if he doesn't sign those papers, we won't give him money to put out all his fires," Trump said, deliberately mispronouncing the governor's name, as he's often done in the past.

"And if we don't give him money to put out his fires, he's got problems," Trump threatened. "He's a lousy governor."

"So California, vote for Trump, and you're going to have water and you're going to have growth and you're going to have prosperity and all those people that are leaving are going to really come back," Trump said.

In the past, Trump alleged exploding trees was the problem.

Newsome sounded the alarm in an X post: "Every voter should be made aware of this."

He said that Trump "just admitted he will block emergency disaster funds to settle political vendettas. Today it's California's wildfires. Tomorrow it could be hurricane funding for North Carolina or flooding assistance for homeowners in Pennsylvania. Donald Trump doesn't care about America — he only cares about himself."

Trump made similar threats in 2019.

See the comments below or at the link here.

— (@)

2024 ElectionsSmartNewsTrump NewsVideo

Red Box Rules

Do Stay On Topic!

Do Add Something Substantive or Be Gone.

No personal or ad hominem attacks, spamming, or advertisements.

No Trolling.

No Mocking Others. (Your comment may be removed without additional warning.]

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

CB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  CB    3 weeks ago

[Governor] Newsome sounded the alarm in an X post: "Every voter should be made aware of this. . .Trump just admitted he will block emergency disaster funds to settle political vendettas. Today it's California's wildfires. Tomorrow it could be hurricane funding for North Carolina or flooding assistance for homeowners in Pennsylvania. Donald Trump doesn't care about America — he only cares about himself."

- From the Article.

CB
Professor Principal
2  seeder  CB    3 weeks ago

"And Gavin Newscum is gonna sign those papers, and if he doesn't sign those papers, we won't give him money to put out all his fires," Trump said, deliberately mispronouncing the governor's name, as he's often done in the past.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3  Ed-NavDoc    3 weeks ago

Newsome is an idiot!

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
3.1  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3    3 weeks ago

he may be., yet, what are your thoughts on Trump as he has threatened to punish innocent Californians because Newsome

won’t bow to his blackmailing attempts, asz Trump  acts like a stuck up stuck up bitch. and,

sounds eerily like his Zelinsky interactions when Trump demanded he link Biden’s family to crime waves in Ukrainian affairs.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Igknorantzruls @3.1    3 weeks ago

Trump is not the smartest cookie in the box either.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.2  George  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.1    3 weeks ago

Absolutely agree with you there, trump isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but maybe, just maybe if California wasn't spending billions housing and caring for illegals they could afford to spend more supporting the actual citizens of their fine state, like those who live in fire country.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  CB  replied to  George @3.1.2    3 weeks ago

It's called "fire country" for a reason; kinda like a "desert" is called desert because of dryness. Back to Donald, trying to coerce any state (and put masses at risk) is morally irreprehensible and likely unconstitutional. Therefore, Crooked Donald is full of bull. 

Some conservatives would be wise to stop listening to crooked billionaires, because when the s-it hits the fan in our country. . .billionaires will live in the lap of luxury (above it all) and most conservatives will catch 'hell' in the real world. Operate without rules, and you get Chaos.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @3.1.3    3 weeks ago
ome conservatives would be wise to stop listening to crooked billionaires, because when the s-it hits the fan in our country. . .billionaires will live in the lap of luxury (above it all) and most conservatives will catch 'hell' in the real world

They won't believe until they are fighting over scraps with us liberals

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.5  seeder  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.4    3 weeks ago

They better get a clue, because the robber barons are making their move to rise again. The rest of us will have our choices of which garbage cans to eat out of when the s*it lands in our laps! Vote wisely, some conservatives

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @3.1.5    3 weeks ago

Are you sure we will even have a choice on that?

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.7  seeder  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.6    3 weeks ago

Sure. Table scraps all mushed together; mixing their juices with other 'juices' from the odd out hypodermic needle and spit . . . and pissy - wet diapers. What a 'new' way of life for a coming America!  Vote wisely, some conservatives!

original

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @3.1.7    3 weeks ago

You have quite an active imagination!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3.1.9  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.8    3 weeks ago

I would have said , a definite flair for the dramatic  and extremes ...... but thats just me .

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    3 weeks ago

That doesn't sound ethical or legal (blocking funds for disasters)

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    3 weeks ago

There are a very few reasons the Feds can block funding for something. The Biden Admin blocked Title X family planning funding to states that have restrictive abortion bans. The SCOTUS refused an injunction from OK to claw back those funds. It's still in the courts, but I'm pretty sure the Feds will win this case. 

Now that's not what Trump is saying. He's saying he should be able to use funding as a compliance tool for states. Any funding at any time and I'm sure that's illegal. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  evilone @4.1    3 weeks ago
Now that's not what Trump is saying. He's saying he should be able to use funding as a compliance tool for states.

It appears he is simply saying the quiet part that is usually not said , out loud .

I can think of at least 2 instances in my life time where this stick and carrot method was used .

Remember the national 55 mph speed limit mandate? if states didnt comply they lost federal highway/infrastructure funds .

the mandatory drinking age of 21 ? same thing  comply or lose the highway funds .

the use of funding has always been in the feds back pocket to get compliance for whatever they wanted .

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  CB  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.1    3 weeks ago
 Newsome sounded the alarm in an X post: "Every voter should be made aware of this. . .Trump just admitted he will block emergency disaster funds to settle political vendettas. Today it's California's wildfires. Tomorrow it could be hurricane funding for North Carolina or flooding assistance for homeowners in Pennsylvania.

The operative words are, "settle political vendettas." 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  CB @4.1.2    3 weeks ago

well political vendettas have been around since ......there have been politics and politicians .

or are you trying to blame trump for inventing it ?

As it is im watching 2 wildfires in my own state , one is on the edge of one of my hunting areas on BLM /fed land , the other and of more attention is about 40 miles west and north of my property and buildings .  and weather patterns are shifting with winds starting to come from the north west , but when that happens it brings cooler weather and moisture in the form of rain or snow , it snowed on the fire 2 days ago and this morning and rained off and on throughout the day . That is how most of the bigger fires here are usually extinguished , when winter snows hit , i suspect its likely the same on the coast .  as was said by the starks , winter is coming . 

it made me also check to make sure my home owners insurance is up to date  and coverages were correct,

BTW, those that lost homes and such in Ca had insurance to cover the losses , right ? THAT IS what insurance is for .

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  CB  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.3    3 weeks ago

In California, we're losing new and old insurance companies (I read its happening in other states pervasively too) because of wild fire. So we don't need a vindictive "Donald" with his bull piling on top of it with any imagined political vendetta/s! Simple enough! Let Crooked Donald take his tired, old, washed-up butt down to Mara Lago and into some version of retirement where he can babble until his 'judgement day' of sorts!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.5  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  CB @4.1.4    3 weeks ago

As for companies not offering coverage , a lot of that depends on the states insurance commissioner , thats the person who approves of the policies sold in state and at what .price believe it or not . Without that approval , policies cant be sold , and if a company cant charge what is needed to cover , the risks , they simply wont , or they may have coverage that only covers up to a certain amount , even in higher risk areas , thing is the higher the risk area , the likelihood they will cover less increases at higher costs , but so too does the chance the state wont approve of the policy plan . so they leave .

As for the trump tirade ,  better out than in i guess , i really dont care about what he says or what others say of him , he doesnt have my vote anyway .

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.6  seeder  CB  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.5    3 weeks ago

What is called for is acceptance of climate change worldwide. Some conservatives need to stop blocking and sitting on their hands while states burn, flood, and are drought-stricken. . . all because of some silly, naïve notion that ideology of 'past things' can path out the direction of our national future. That is, we need our country healed and whole instead of fractured (Russia/China love this!) and our citizens' dreams in taters! Unify once again. Rock these stupid squandered wastes of our time and space on this Earth. We have a great many things to live for-when we 'come together.'  We can put an end to massive wildfires, . . . but it will take all of us possibly to put our minds together in a single stream of consciousness to fix these fires  from one side of the country to the other.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.7  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  CB @4.1.6    3 weeks ago

jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg Oh i accepted that the climate on this rock has been changing , since day 1 of its existence , sometimes it has not been accepting for life , human or otherwise , and it will change again as it goes through its existence floating through space , and that there is absolutely NOTHING  humans can do to change that cycle , to think otherwise is as arrogant as to think humans on earth are the only intelligent life in the universe .

But you and those that think like you , do what you think is best for yourselves , just dont expect others to pick up the cost of it  or to go along .

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.8  seeder  CB  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.7    3 weeks ago
Oh i accepted that the climate on this rock has been changing , since day 1 of its existence , sometimes it has not been accepting for life , human or otherwise , and it will change again as it goes through its existence floating through space , and that there is absolutely NOTHING  humans can do to change that cycle , to think otherwise is as arrogant as to think humans on earth are the only intelligent life in the universe .

That's nice: Prove it. 

Arrogance is those who are holding other 21st century people down through some conservative policies and ideologies using a constitutional documents from the 18th century and neglecting to modernize its points of interests. . . or out of necessity. 

Thomas
Masters Guide
4.1.9  Thomas  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.1    3 weeks ago

Mark, I believe that in the instances cited, the decisions to not give funding were in the actual legislation and not vested willy-nilly in the executive branch. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    3 weeks ago

Is this surprising to anyone?  Trump has zero empathy.  He would flip on the tv and watch innocent Californians burn as easily and gleefully as he watched the Capitol be attacked.

CB
Professor Principal
6  seeder  CB    3 weeks ago

When Donald says the quiet part out loud about letting a state literally burn. . .it will return to him in a court of law or in a set of consequences—as it should.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  CB @6    3 weeks ago
When Donald says the quiet part out loud about letting a state literally burn. . .it will return to him in a court of law or in a set of consequences

Sounds like you think Trump is going to win.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.1  seeder  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    3 weeks ago

Sounds more like Donald thinks making idle threats can help him win. I am just responding to the concern as stated that's all.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  CB @6.1.1    3 weeks ago
Sounds more like Donald thinks making idle threats can help him win. I am just responding to the concern as stated that's all

Good for Trump, or whatever, but your post still reads like you think Trump will win.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     3 weeks ago

No one should be surprised by Trump's threats, par for the course. 

Calif could condemn his golf course in PV in retaliation, I would love to see that. Or the way PV is sliding the course could end up in the ocean..

Thomas
Masters Guide
8  Thomas    3 weeks ago

What Papers?