╌>

A Must-See Film About a Terribly Difficult Subject

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  2 weeks ago  •  28 comments

A Must-See Film About a Terribly Difficult Subject

“Sugarcane” follows survivors and investigators after the horrifying treatment of Indigenous Canadians was discovered at residential schools.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

When it comes to stories that hold the potential to slide from sensitive to sensational, documentarians can take several approaches. There’s the talking-head driven journalistic approach, in which the story and its analysis are laid out, beat by beat. There’s also the more lurid approach that films about cults and crime can employ, with re-enactments and ominous musical cues.

But a third way — and the one thatEmily KassieandJulian Brave NoiseCattake inSugarcane(in theaters), to their great credit — is to invite the audience to dwell alongside those affected by the story, letting their experiences and emotions guide the film. This one tells a horrifying story: In 2021 and 2022 in a series of cascading discoveries,unmarked graveswere found on thegroundsof anumberof Indigenous Canadian residential schools. On investigation, they revealed horrifying mistreatment of Indigenous communities, where parents were virtually forced to send their children to the schools as part of the government’s quest to “solve the Indian problem.”

The film’s jumping-off point is the graves discovered at St. Joseph’s Mission, a residential school in British Columbia, near the Sugarcane Reserve of Williams Lake. NoiseCat’s father and grandmother were survivors of St. Joseph’s, and his journey to learn their immensely painful stories is one strand of the documentary.

There are others, too. Charlene Belleau and Whitney Spearing are two investigators working with the Williams Lake First Nation to uncover the truth about what happened at St. Joseph’s, and their determination helps fill in many of the disturbing details that were covered up at the time of the abuse. Rick Gilbert, a former chief of Williams Lake First Nation, was also educated at St. Joseph’s but is a faithful Catholic and reluctant to acknowledge the full extent of the atrocity — even when DNA tests appear to confirm that his father was one of the priests. He is summoned to the Vatican as part of an audience with Pope Francis regarding the discoveries. But his own story takes a long time to come out

Kassie and NoiseCat braid these strands together, weaving in archival footage that shows how Indigenous people were stereotyped as lazy and subhuman. Furthermore, the film establishes, with very little room for argument, that the people operating the schools were aware that children were being molested and even raped by priests, but the victim’s stories were ignored. On the St. Joseph’s grounds, it becomes clear, infants born to girls were thrown into incinerators.

These are extremely difficult details to write about, let alone to watch. But “Sugarcane” is a must-see film, and not just because St. Joseph’s is one of hundreds of such schools — well over 500 in Canada and the United States — that were supported by the government and run by the Roman Catholic Church.

For one, it’s immersive and incredibly beautiful, shot like poetry and scored byMali Obomsawin. The result is both stunning and sobering. And because Kassie and NoiseCat narrow their focus to the stories of St. Joseph’s survivors and their descendants, it’s breathtaking when they widen out to remind us that these stories are not isolated — that people all over North America are living with the repercussions of truth suppressed and violence enacted in the name of love and faith.

Alissa Wilkinsonis a Times movie critic. She’s been writing about movies since 2005.More about Alissa Wilkinson

A version of this article appears in print onAug. 16, 2024, SectionC, Page4of the New York editionwith the headline:Horrifying Mistreatment And a Community in Pain. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe See more on:Roman Catholic Church Sex Abuse Cases

Red Box Rules

OFF-TOPIC COMMENTS WILL B REMOVED WITHOUT WARNING.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     2 weeks ago

The Truth and Reconciliation investigation counted 4,100 First Nations children that died in Canada's Residential schools the true number is believed to be around 6,000. Many records were destroyed or hidden by both the gov't and RCC. 

The Canadian Medical Association just issued an apology for their treatment of Nativ including children. Some of the crimes wr medical experiments and forced sterilization..

Do not think that the US was not involved, Canada took our Indian Boarding Schools as the template for their Residential schools. While Canada has been much more forthright in admitting the horrendous crimes including murder, sodomy, rap, forced labor, and slavery the US is just starting its investigations and thus far around 1,000 Indian children did at US schools many more investigations to go. The same problem exists as Canada lost or destroyed records or refusal by the RCC and gov't to produce the records. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @1    2 weeks ago

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1.1    2 weeks ago

reading about or watching this stuff makes me want to have more than an unfriendly chat with those that defend it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    2 weeks ago

Exactly, 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    2 weeks ago

See comment 3

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  Krishna    2 weeks ago

Hopefully more and more people will see this. (i will post a link on some other social media sites).

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @2    2 weeks ago

Thanks, Krish.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3  Drakkonis    2 weeks ago
This one tells a horrifying story: In 2021 and 2022 in a series of cascading discoveries,      unmarked graves      were found on the      grounds      of a      number      of Indigenous Canadian residential schools.

Is this a story about the alleged graves or is it about what has been discovered about the schools themselves while investigating the alleged graves? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Drakkonis @3    2 weeks ago

Why are you so hateful?

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Drakkonis  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    one week ago
Why are you so hateful?

What is hateful about asking what the film is about? 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2  devangelical  replied to  Drakkonis @3    2 weeks ago

it's part of a sequel. the final episode is about the forensic identification of burned hypocrite remains found in thumper church rubble. /s

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @3.2    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.3  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Drakkonis @3    2 weeks ago

What does it matter the story is about the horrors inflicted on Indian children by the Canadian gov't and the RCC so-called Christians, experts in murder, physical abuse, sexual abuse, rape, sodomy, slavery, medical experiments, forced sterilization, forced labor, beatings, and lack of medical care to name a few.

Hallux
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Hallux  replied to  Kavika @3.3    2 weeks ago

Hey, look on the blighted side: we forced you to convert and now you don't have pay attention to the Spirits. Now you can pray them away.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.3.2  Drakkonis  replied to  Kavika @3.3    one week ago

So, from what I gather from you, it is about the operations of the schools. Thank you. I will keep an eye out for it. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.3.3  devangelical  replied to  Drakkonis @3.3.2    one week ago
it is about the operations of the schools.

... a lesson in what happens when a gov't funds the combination of religion and education.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.3.4  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @3.3.3    one week ago

In this case, an evil cabal was the result.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.3.5  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @3.3.4    one week ago

it's a story about how the self righteous end up in hell ...

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.3.6  Drakkonis  replied to  Kavika @3.3.4    one week ago
In this case, an evil cabal was the result.

In this case, that is, the government trying to force cultural assimilation through forced conversion, I totally agree. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.3.7  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Drakkonis @3.3.6    one week ago
In this case, that is, the government trying to force cultural assimilation through forced conversion, I totally agree. 

And the RCC and many other Christian religions did this bidding for the gov't in the most brutal ways. As the messengers of God, the priests, and nuns took on the role of Satan's disciples and were very good at it. 

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.3.8  Drakkonis  replied to  Kavika @3.3.7    one week ago

If the phrasing is intended to provoke, you're wasting your time. I have no problem with admitting to what was done in God's name, historically, good or bad. Denying history is the province of fools. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.3.9  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Drakkonis @3.3.8    one week ago
If the phrasing is intended to provoke, you're wasting your time

Not at all. I am simply stating facts for the majority of people who have no idea what went on in these schools—a history lesson, so to speak.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.3.10  Drakkonis  replied to  Kavika @3.3.9    one week ago
a history lesson, so to speak.

A good point. I'm sure you know that the NA situation wasn't unique. The same old same old that happened throughout history to various cultures and people. History repeating itself. Not that it repeats excuses any of it. It's just one more example though, that humanity never changes. The Uighurs are experiencing it in China right now, for instance and, my guess, it is as least as bad. And that's far from being the only recent example that can be named. Sucks, but that's humanity for you. 

And, lest you think I'm making little of what happened to your people, I don't intend that. In fact, for the survivors of schools that actually abused your people who still live I am in favor of actual reparations, and not some mere token. The government and church organizations owe them that much. But I don't see this as simply an NA problem. I see this as a problem of people not seeing what we are all really like, which is why I speak the way I do. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 weeks ago

This is a must-see documentary for those who do not understand what my people went through. Those who want to push it under the rug will just ignore the facts.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    2 weeks ago

Agreed, and now the investigations have started in the US with both the church and the gov't stalling with documents. To date, around 1,000 Indian kids died in UD Indian boarding schools with a lot of investigation to go.

Veronica
Professor Guide
5  Veronica    one week ago

I have added this to my watchlist.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Veronica @5    one week ago

Good, but be prepared for things you did not think would be done to humans much less children. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @5.1    one week ago

hard to believe the catholic church has a clergy shortage with those job perks ... /s