╌>

700,000 years of Egyptian history finds enormous new home

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 days ago  •  5 comments

By:   Keir Simmons, Charlene Gubash and Mithil Aggarwal

700,000 years of Egyptian history finds enormous new home
Even before it opened this week, the Grand Egyptian Museum looked to be making history. On Wednesday, Egypt will finally open doors to some of the 700,000 years' worth of artifacts to the public.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

GIZA, Egypt — Even before it opened 12 enormous galleries containing priceless artifacts this week, the Grand Egyptian Museum looked to be making history.

Egypt is finally allowing the public to view some of the 700,000 years' worth of antiquities devoted to four eras of history on a plot the size of 80 football fields, a project delayed for nearly two decades by war, an armed uprising and the pandemic.

Only a section of the museum covering over 5 million square feet opened Wednesday, with the rest of the facility to be inaugurated when authorities deem the time is right. When it is opened fully, it will be the largest museum dedicated to a single civilization.

The six-story Grand Staircase with a view of the pyramids and an atrium containing monuments, pharaonic statues and sarcophagi opened in November.

The museum, which is just over a mile north of the Great Pyramids of Giza outside Cairo, expects nearly 4,000 visitors for its debut, Al-Tayeb Abbas, the museum's deputy director, told NBC News.

"We are testing ourselves for the grand opening," he said.

For renowned Egyptologist Zahi Hawass, the opening is a dream come true.

"We spent all this money to build the greatest museum in the world," he said. "You will see the objects for the first time in an incredible way."

Visitors are first greeted by a colossal 3,200-year-old statue of one of ancient Egypt's legendary pharaohs, Ramesses the Great.

The statue is one of the first and largest artifacts that was transported to the new museum in 2018. It is among the 100,000 artifacts that have been brought from the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir Square in Cairo and other museums across the country.

Visitors walk past colossal ancient Egyptian statues at the Grand Egyptian Museum in Giza on Tuesday.Khaled Desouki / AFP - Getty Images

The Grand Staircase rises to the top of the museum, lined with some of the most pristine statues of the rulers of ancient Egypt.

At the top, a spectacular view of the pyramids opens up with a soaring ceiling. The galleries are lined with state-of-the-art cases with historic statues offering glimpses into the daily lives of not just the kings and queens but also ordinary people.

The grand museum also takes an equally grand time to fully tour.

"It will take you at least one or two hours to see at least maybe 20% of the statues," Hawass said.

Each piece, including huge royal busts carved in granite, the gold necklaces with turquoise and coral and a several-feet-long preserved papyrus, is given enough space to be appreciated in a thoroughly modern and tranquil environment. Modest clay statues of workers grinding wheat and attending to large vats are also on show.

"They are telling the history of ancient Egypt, how the people lived together, the fear and hopes of the Egyptians," Abbas said.

241016-egypt-museum-mb-1037-63923b.jpg Statues inside the Grand Egyptian Museum in Giza on Tuesday.NBC News

Among the museum's grandest collections is the gold mask of Tutankhamun.

The mask, which has survived grave robbers and clumsy restorations efforts, will be kept in its own room in the climate-controlled museum, Hawass said.

In 2017, before the coronavirus pandemic slowed its construction, NBC News was given exclusive access to the Grand Egyptian Museum's backroom stores with Tutankhamun's beautifully crafted bows, wine and even fresh underpants buried 3,347 years ago. The embalmed remains of his stillborn daughters remain in ornate caskets.

Over 3,000 of the boy-king's artifacts have never been displayed before and underwent extensive restoration in the museum's conservation laboratory.

Hawass said the Tutankhamun exhibit — perhaps the most famous of Egypt's archaeological treasures — won't go on public display immediately because curators are waiting for a lull in fighting in the Middle East to hold a grand, global opening.

But already, the soft launch is attracting American visitors.

Sabrina Middleton, a travel tour operator, said, "We're coming today because we want to see the Atrium and just experience it." She said she and her colleague was returning later this month to see the newly opened 12 galleries.

"We're going to be ready for it when it's open," Middleton said.

Abbas, the museum's deputy director, is convinced that future visitors will be happy to wait for the grand opening, saying: "We have the best antiquities. We have the most fascinating objects inside."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dig
Professor Participates
1  Dig    yesterday

Outstanding. I'd love to visit. I've become obsessed with ancient Egypt in the past several months. I've always had an interest, but for some reason it kicked into high gear recently and I've been reading and watching as much as I can absorb. Absolutely fascinating history.

Not sure what the article means by 700,000 years of history, though. Maybe they meant 7,000 years, going back to stone age settlements on the banks of the Nile.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Dig @1    yesterday

Had a chance to visit the old museum about 20 years ago and while the exhibits and artifacts were amazing the darkness, dinginess and over crowding of it detracted from the experience somewhat.  I would love to go back and experience it in this new museum

Not sure what the article means by 700,000 years of history,

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the total age of all the artifacts added together

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    yesterday

I've also been interested in Egypt for many years. Back in 1987 the Ramses II exhibit came to Denver and was displayed at the Denver Museum of Art and Science for several months. As a volunteer, I was amused at some of the comments overheard coming from the leaders of church groups going through.

Very well-done exhibit showcasing this fascinating civilization. Lots of artifacts, many of the colors were still vibrant, very impressed with micro metallurgy of the gold. The mummy had a small room all by itself. If I remember correctly, King Tut's mask didn't make the trip, but remains my favorite piece of art for its beauty and craftsmanship. 

f757230685c7a4b490cd06aeca46a2ad.jpg

800px-King_Tut_Mask_front_and_back_%28cropped%29.jpg

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    yesterday

Maybe 7,000 years, but not 700,000. The diamond in my ring is maybe a billion years old but it is not historically significant. The pyramids which date to far ancient Egyptian history are about 4,000 - 4,500 years old. 

From Rutgers Alumni 

"Groundbreaking Discovery at Saqqara 🏺🏺
In a remarkable find, Egyptian archaeologists have unearthed the oldest non-royal mummy at Saqqara, dating back over 4,000 years. Discovered in a 50-foot-deep shaft, this mummy, wrapped in gold leaf and identified as Hekashepes, sheds light on the elaborate burial practices and societal structures of ancient Egypt’s Old Kingdom.
Dr. Zahi Hawass, leading the excavation, emphasized the significance of the opulent burial, indicating Hekashepes’ high status within society. The team also uncovered 14 stone statues and a variety of artifacts, providing valuable insights into the art and mummification practices of the time 🎨.
Saqqara, a historic necropolis located near Cairo and designated as a UNESCO World Heritage site, continues to unveil its rich past. Recent significant discoveries in Luxor, including a well-preserved Roman-era burial ground, underscore the ongoing importance of archaeological work in Egypt.
These finds deepen our understanding of ancient Egyptian civilization, offering compelling glimpses into its complex and rich history 🎨🎨."

original

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @3    yesterday
The diamond in my ring is maybe a billion years old but it is not historically significant.

Hopefully not a blood diamond ♦️.